Jul 16, 2019 08:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Artbook] TLoK Book Three: Change - The Art of the Animated Series  (Read 8230 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Apr 29, 2014 07:39 pm »

Apparently you can pre-order the third art book for TLoK on Amazon. The release date is Jan 20 2015.

Thoughts?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2014 07:58 pm »

If only they could get OSTs greenlit as easily as they apparently can get the artbooks greenlit.
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2014 02:33 am »

If only they could get OSTs greenlit as easily as they apparently can get the artbooks greenlit.

I agree, though to be honest if I had to choose between the art books and the OSTs I'd go with the art books.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2014 04:57 pm »

I'd go for the OSTs but I still love the art books.

Though I find it a bit weird that we are getting info on this artbook before Book 3's release date is even announced...

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014 12:55 am »

I just noticed, Korra is holding a glider staff on the cover.  I guess that means she learns to use glider staves in book 3.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014 03:59 am »

Yeah, I want to see her flying. She'll probably be very creative with it and maybe incorporate some firebending for propulsion.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014 02:44 pm »

Yeah, I want to see her flying. She'll probably be very creative with it and maybe incorporate some firebending for propulsion.
Now that I want to see. Just imagine how aggressive Airbending would be if more firebending moves were implemented in them.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014 06:35 pm »

If Korra uses jet propulsion, wouldn't that snap the wings right off a wooden glider? Cheesy

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014 07:12 pm »

She'll find a way. Wink

ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015 08:00 pm »

So the book came out today, and as always the artwork is fantastic. For those who care more about story snippets, here are some of the highlights:

The idea of an evil Airbender had been pitched many times but was always rejected. Harmonic Convergence gave the writers a natural way to introduce an Airbending villain.

The idea of a Waterbender with water limbs actually came from a joke idea that Amon survived the boat explosion but lost all of his limbs.

Zuko's dragon Druk descended from Ran and Shaw. I think they've said this elsewhere already, but they say it here too  Grin

Ba Sing Se's overpopulation has only gotten worse, and the lower ring was designed to look as iff people just kept building on top of what was already there.

P'Li showed signs of being a combustion bender at a young age and was kidnapped by a warlord to be trained as a personal assassins. Zaheer rescued her when she was a teenager and "together they sought a life free from oppressive leaders."

The idea of Su and the Metal Clan was thought up during early development of Korra.

Zaheer was not in Su's circus photo, although the writers said that was interesting speculation.

Su was 16 and Lin was 22 when they fought in Republic City, and Toph was 53.

Ghazan's fighting style is loosely based on Bajiquan. All the Red Lotus members picked up moves and fighting concepts throughout their various adventures together.

Korra does not use the Avatar State in Book 3 because she has come to respect her connection with Raava, and that the State should only be used in the most dire of circumstances.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2015 04:44 pm »

Korra does not use the Avatar State in Book 3 because she has come to respect her connection with Raava, and that the State should only be used in the most dire of circumstances.

I still don't understand that. The kidnapping in Zaofu wasn't dire enough? The Battle at Laghima's Peak wasn't dire enough? I love Mike and Bryan, but it sounds like plot convience for me.

The book just came into the mail today and it is probably my favorite of the Korra artbooks. I plowed through it all.

Interestingly enough, it says that Baatar Jr. was in his father's shadow. Wink

Some goofs:
Baatar Sr.'s design shows him with a grey fringe on the front of his hair. This did not occur until Book 4.
When it shows the snowcat that Ghazan drives, it says the attack is at the South Pole.

Something I did not like is that the book contains storyboards of Ming Hua vs. Kya and Bumi vs. Ghazan but no Tenzin vs. Zaheer. That is quite disappointing, but it does not weigh down the book a ton.

I also do not like that Kai is on the back cover of the book. Why not Suyin or Opal? Again, not that big of a deal.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
ismellbacons
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2015 05:07 pm »

I still don't understand that. The kidnapping in Zaofu wasn't dire enough? The Battle at Laghima's Peak wasn't dire enough? I love Mike and Bryan, but it sounds like plot convience for me.

To be fair, Korra was completely paralyzed in Zaofu, and one silly move in Laghima's Peak could have resulted in the airbenders being killed (or so she thought).

I am so pumped to buy this book, but I haven't found it in my usual bookstore yet. I'm hoping they order it in soon, as I loved the last two. Is there an introduction by Mike and Bryan like in the first two books? I really want to hear more about the development of Book 3 when compared to the hell of Book 2 they described.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2015 11:46 pm »

To be fair, Korra was completely paralyzed in Zaofu, and one silly move in Laghima's Peak could have resulted in the airbenders being killed (or so she thought).

I am so pumped to buy this book, but I haven't found it in my usual bookstore yet. I'm hoping they order it in soon, as I loved the last two. Is there an introduction by Mike and Bryan like in the first two books? I really want to hear more about the development of Book 3 when compared to the hell of Book 2 they described.

Yes there is an introduction by Mike, Bryan, and Joaquim. I think the Book 3 Artbook is the best Korra artbook yet.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2015 01:12 am »

I know that Book 3 was far better development-wise than Book 2. I think I remember reading that it was their favorite season to do, where everything clicked into place. That makes sense considering how excellent Book 3 was from an entertainment standpoint.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015 09:23 am »

They confirmed in the artbook that Grandma Yin's apartment building was indeed Iroh's and Zuko's temporary home back in ATLA. So we eagle eyed fans were right!

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2015 01:29 am »

They confirmed in the artbook that Grandma Yin's apartment building was indeed Iroh's and Zuko's temporary home back in ATLA. So we eagle eyed fans were right!
Wait, wasn't it confirmed a long time ago? I'm genuinely asking because I thought it was. I remember someone saying that they reused old background to save time but maybe it was just a fan theory.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2015 01:40 am »

Wait, wasn't it confirmed a long time ago?
I think the fans mentioned it in the "interesting things noticed" thread first before M&B confirmed it?

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2015 10:23 pm »

I think they also mentioned it in the blu ray commentary. So it was confirmed before the art book.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
FireNationPhoenix
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artist, Writer, Animator, Poet, Actress, Critic

« Reply #18 on: Aug 26, 2015 02:09 pm »

i thought this season was the best of them all, i had lots of fun watching it and getting to know the characters. i really enjoyed the return of zuko and it was lots of fun watching the fight sequences.

Risen From the Ashes of Fire
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: