Apr 27, 2017 01:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #9] The Rift, Part 3  (Read 19421 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2014 02:40 pm »

Instead, he just retreats back into the ocean

Didn't Aang actually kind of kill him?

I was under the impression that Aang killed his current form.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2014 06:43 pm »

Instead, he just retreats back into the ocean

Didn't Aang actually kind of kill him?

I was under the impression that Aang killed his current form.

Yeah. GOI didn't retreat at all. Aang basically killed him. I dunno how that could be construed as retreating.  Huh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2014 07:02 pm »

Also, I know it was a spirit and not a human, but I think this comic handled the whole "Aang not willing to kill thing" better then the actual series finale did.

It wasn't a major aspect of the comic but the comic didn't give him any easy outs and him killing Old Iron came from his desire to stop him from killing Toph and her students and he was still upset afterwards.

I don't know, it may not be fair to compare the two but I felt like the comic was more rewarding in that regard then the series finale was. I rolled my eyes at some of Aang's stuff in the series finale while I actually kinda felt sympathetic to him here.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2014 08:37 pm »

Aang punched a hole in GOI and GOI went back to the ocean and made a long speech about how spirits and humans will never be living together before "moving on" as little purple particles. I find that a peaceful retreat. *shrug*

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2014 01:17 pm »

GOI said that Aang "vanquished" him though and Aang was like "my girlfriend's a healer. She can save you" then Toph was all like, "that must have been hard Aang."

I also assumed the dissipating meant he was dead since that is usually what it means in Legend of Korra and all that. When Korra cleanses a spirit (killing that form of it) it dissipates. The same happened here with GOI.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2014 07:39 am »

I have to say this was better than I expected. Although, the way main plot got resolved felt like a huge writer's convenience. It was a little bit underwhelming too, especially with the cheesy title of the festival. But, all in all I liked it. I'm glad that Toph reconciled with her father but I'd like to see more of her mother too, I mean, she still has two parents unless I missed the scene where she becomes a half-orphan. Or is it the usual "all mothers are good" thing which expects me to think she doesn't need to reconcile with her mother? XD What I really liked was the conflict between tradition vs. modernisation symbolised by Aang and Toph. Another thing I liked was the search for balance and GOI's speech about avatar siding with humans. I would give it a solid 7.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2014 08:06 am »

GOI said that Aang "vanquished" him though and Aang was like "my girlfriend's a healer. She can save you" then Toph was all like, "that must have been hard Aang."

I also assumed the dissipating meant he was dead since that is usually what it means in Legend of Korra and all that. When Korra cleanses a spirit (killing that form of it) it dissipates. The same happened here with GOI.
*shrug*

He still had time to walk back to the ocean instead of evaporating immediately. I see that as retreating to die peacefully.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2014 03:22 pm »

I mean, the end result is still death...

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2014 03:24 pm »

When you're wounded and walking back while cursing your opponents and belittling their views, you gonna die. It's common to do that in fiction.
Also, the french title of "The rift" is "Le désaccord", which is oddly unepic.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Sifu Metalbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2014 12:06 am »

Now that Poppy and Lao are separated and Satoph has officially set sail, will the remaining two comics and Legacy finally resolve the story arc of Toph and her parents?

Viper: You're in Triple Threat Triad territory, and we're about to put you in the hospital.
Korra: You're the only ones who are gonna need a hospital, and for your sake, I hope there's one nearby.
Viper: Who do you think you are?
Korra: Why don't you come and find out.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2014 12:32 am »

We can feel free to disagree about the whole retreat thingy. =P

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2014 06:02 pm »

Now that Poppy and Lao are separated and Satoph has officially set sail, will the remaining two comics and Legacy finally resolve the story arc of Toph and her parents?

What else has to be resolved with her parents? They made up. The end.

I doubt the next to comics will do anything with it and Legacy (what is up with all the delays on that book anyway?) will definitely not deal with it. Legacy is all about Aang.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2014 06:38 pm »

Wait, when did her mother die? Or is father the only parent who matters? I don't remember her mother ever defending Toph or treating her differently than her father.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2014 08:30 pm »

Future!Toph told her daughter "Su, you're going to stay with your grandparents." Unless Lao remarried down the line, Poppy is still in the picture and on good enough terms with the rest of the family to take in her grandkid.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2014 09:02 pm »

Wait, when did her mother die? Or is father the only parent who matters? I don't remember her mother ever defending Toph or treating her differently than her father.

Is it really that important that we see a make up scene with her mother as well? That happening can simply be assumed. No need for the comics to go out of their way to show that to us. That's just redundant.

A line of dialogue is all that is needed.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2014 11:55 pm »

Speaking of Toph, can I just chuckle at how Gene Yang has officially completed the compilation of Beifongs yelling at the Avatar to "HURRY THE **** UP AND KILL [HIM/HER] WITH THE GLOW OF DOOOM!"

lol

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Yangchen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2014 05:36 pm »

Can someone clear up something for me?

We learn in this book that spirits can't be 'killed of for real'. If vanquished they merely take a different form. So why does General Old Iron appear to be unaware of this? Has he bothered to search for New Lady Tienhai? Why for that matter has Spirit Crane Lady Tienhai not sought him out to let him know that she was okay? Is there something I'm missing/have forgotten?

"Selfless duty calls you to sacrifice your own spiritual needs and do whatever it takes to protect the world."
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2014 05:51 pm »

Maybe they don't remember what they were before or something.
And GOI was mad with grief anyway.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Yangchen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Nov 20, 2014 06:23 pm »

But that's the thing - Lady Tienhai clearly does remember who she was when speaking with Aang. She has memories of both her human and former spirit life. Even assuming that she didn't or couldn't manifest immediately after her death (during GOI's original rampage), by the time of his second appearance should she not have put in an appearance? Was she simply counting on the Avatar to handle the matter? In-universe, does it make sense for this particular spirit who loves humanity to not do anything if she's still present in the area?

With respect to GOI's roaring rampage of revenge - my question is should he be mad with grief if he knows that Lady Tienhai still exists albeit in a different form? Doesn't that seem like overkill? I suppose I could file his behaviour under Blue and Orange morality. but I'm reluctant. His initial attack seemed fueled by grief. His grief seemed to be fueled by the fact that he thought that Tienhai was no more and he blamed humans for her death. Except now we have it from Tienhai herself that there is no reason for him to think that. Her pronouncement also makes it seem as if this was just basic spirit knowledge.

"Selfless duty calls you to sacrifice your own spiritual needs and do whatever it takes to protect the world."
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:47 am »

With respect to GOI's roaring rampage of revenge - my question is should he be mad with grief if he knows that Lady Tienhai still exists albeit in a different form?
GOI's problem isn't a much as that Lady Tienhai was killed but that she's not in her former glory anymore. Regardless whether she exists or not. The spirit Lady Tienhai was destroyed and will never be back. If I were GOI, knowing that she's just an animal who can't do anything would piss me off even more.

Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2014 02:32 pm »

With respect to GOI's roaring rampage of revenge - my question is should he be mad with grief if he knows that Lady Tienhai still exists albeit in a different form?

I think he was also mad because the humans disrespected her legacy (that land she was watching over) by building all over it. The spirit world never changes so any change that occurs at her (kinda) death sight is an instant no no in GOI's book. Thinking about it now, the memorial statue and the surrounding land is like a graveyard/metaphorical resting place all for Lady Tienhai. To him, humans building a refinery over it is like a delinquent defacing the grave stone  of a beloved family member, and said delinquent being the descendant of the guy responsible for his/her death. That would make me really mad too. (Though not enough to go on a murderous rampage, obviously.)
Yangchen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2014 09:21 pm »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I suppose I need to go over The Rift as a whole (though I don't know when that will be).

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Nov 24, 2014 12:45 pm »

I really liked the conclusion of this trilogy.  Some nice character development between Toph and Satoru and Lao; I found it a tad silly that they were talking to her while she was keeping up the cave, but it does make sense for at least Lao to want to talk to her since they could have all been about to die.

Action was pretty cool.  I didn't look at the back of the book, so when it got to the part that Aang punches General Old Iron and we see that he's made his own giant rock suit to go toe-to-toe with Old Iron, I got a big grin.  I was thinking, "You wanna go?  Then let's go, son!"  Tongue

I really liked the thematic conclusion.  When the border between the spirits and the humans grows into a rift, the Avatar will always side with the humans because the Avatar is, after all, human.  I found that interesting -- I wonder if Old Iron was aware that the Avatar is a union of a human soul and the light spirit Raava?  It may not have mattered if he did, because the Avatar is effectively human and doesn't act from Raava's consciousness.  Overall, this trilogy has managed to give us some truly interesting original characters, in Satoru, Old Iron, and Tienhai.  They're a fair shade better than Kori and Ikem from previous trilogies.
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #48 on: Nov 24, 2014 02:08 pm »

Nice to see some positivity about an installment of the post ATLA comic series.  Wink Usually discussions are on a spectrum of 'eh, it's okayish decent kinda meh' to 'this is awful, Gene needs to be replaced.' Though of course that's because of the varying quality of comics. (I'd be lying if i said I enjoyed these as much as the show, or thought they were particularly well written.) I think this is the first of Gene's contributions that I've read and felt a kind of happy feeling while reading it, like a diluted version of feeling i get watching the show. I dunno, It felt more... smart than the other installments? I really liked GOI's talk with Aang about the Avatar's bias and how Aang took it all in - it felt like something the show would do. 'Course, it had issues, but I finished reading fulfilled and that didn't happen with The Search.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Nov 24, 2014 03:49 pm »

I've generally been positive on the comics.  The Promise was flawed but overall good in my opinion, and The Search was legitimately great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: