Nov 23, 2017 01:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #9] The Rift, Part 3  (Read 20245 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Mar 23, 2014 08:16 pm »

Amazon has listed The Rift, Part 3 and will be released on 18th Nov 2014.

The Rift is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. A professional reviews thread will be set up in due time. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of The Rift and other future comics, please see  The Rift Part 3 - Speculation and Future Avatar Comics.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2015 08:37 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2014 11:05 am »

Has anybody bought and read it yet? When would be a good time to open up a topic page on it?

Check out my new fanfiction, Before Asunder: Project Void, at fanfiction.net

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10514172/1/Before-Asunder-Project-Void
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am »

Here's a review of it. Contains spoilers.

http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/the-rift-part-3-review/

I guess it is released.

neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014 12:18 pm »

Thanks Smiley

Check out my new fanfiction, Before Asunder: Project Void, at fanfiction.net

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10514172/1/Before-Asunder-Project-Void
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014 02:52 pm »

Hmm, no preview for the next trilogy at the end of The Rift part 3... I guess they're waiting till Korra ends to announce the next trilogy or something, since it won't be overshadowed by the show then.
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2014 05:40 pm »

It is a little disappointing that there is no preview of the next trilogy, though I am sure we will get one at sometime soon.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2014 07:06 pm »

Thread unlocked. All forum rules apply as usual. If you've not read it, don't post and base judgements off other people's reviews/posts. Thanks.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2014 02:05 am »

Some are saying that Toph is more mature here in this comic than as an old woman as depicted in LoK.
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2014 02:56 pm »

Just finished reading the Rift part 3. I'd say overall this comic was definitely the most engaging for me out of all the comics this trilogy.

One thing i really liked is its deviation from the Northern Air Temple episode, which i thought this trilogy was kind of a retread of in the beginning. This story focuses very heavily on the spirits' place in the human world a la LOK, and whether they are just 'relics of the past' like Aang's old airbending traditions. Aang insists to General Old Iron that spirits and humans can be balanced with one another after GOI declares that he's going to wipe out all humans, but GOI rebuts to the Avatar that, even though Aang insists that he's the 'great bridge guy', he is a human and thus will inevitably side with them. His (not)death leads to Aang questioning whether or not humans and spirits can coexist at all, but by the end after talking with Lady Teinhai i think he's come to the conclusion that they can. Just like he came to the conclusion that the past and future don't have to be completely separate, revamping Yangchen's festival to the 'Spirits' Friendship Fesitival' that, according to Aang, is 'not (Air Nomad like) but also kind of is.' (Seriously Aang that name so corny why)

I'm glad that this wasn't used as an opportunity to contrast Aang to Korra. They both kind of reached the same conclusion, only Korra actually had the means to let the spirits into the human world, whereas Aang, like Lady Teinhai said, can help to 'create a world for (the spirits)', and Aang seems to be trying to do this by encouraging humans to be friends with the spirits via his New Fesitval.

Nice to see Sokka being not so comic reliefy, deducing that a person who spent their time training to be an archer wouldn't be great at hand to hand combat and taking him to the mat, as it were. Katara being really supportive of Aang, especially in the end, and saving Sokka and Those Two Guys from GOI was nice. Also, Aang and Toph hugging was extremely cute. (Sidenote - Toph was less stubborn and more mature this comic than she was previously in the trilogy, which i'm sure her critics will be happy about.  Tongue )

Didn't really like those three Metalbenders. From what i understand they were introduced in The Promise, which i haven't read, but i'm getting the Library Edition for my birthday because i like annotations and concept art. I also am not really a fan of how quickly Aang comes to the conclusion to, and actually attempts to, destroy the refinery. I get that Aang was panicked because he thought he had to 'unbreak' the promise Yangchen made to GOI before he showed up, but he never considers that people actually have jobs and livelihoods there. He also never rushes to see if Toph's okay after she collapses, which i thought was kind of OOC of Aang. Another thing i'm not a fan of is that Aang apparently regaining his connection with Roku by fixing his ceremonial beads, which i'm not really sure of the purpose of. Can somebody who has read The Promise please explain to me why Aang needs that necklace to connect with his past lives? He never needed it in the TV series, so i don't understand why losing the Fire Symbol would sever his connection.

Overall i'd give this one either a 7 or an 8. (leaning more towards 8 right now) I actually kind of liked it!  Grin

Point of massive interest - at the end of this trilogy there is a 3 month timeskip, which means whatevers going on with Zuko next trilogy happens a pretty long time after The Search. It also means Azula's probably been wandering around on her own for months, which is kind of sad, even if it's someone like Azula in that situation.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2014 03:19 pm by Fieryfurnace » Logged
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2014 04:08 pm »

Timeskip ! Timeskips EVERYWHERE !
Hate them.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2014 06:03 pm »

Question. How does the Water Tribe subplot get resolved? Does that one jerky sister apologize?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2014 06:26 pm »

Another thing i'm not a fan of is that Aang apparently regaining his connection with Roku by fixing his ceremonial beads, which i'm not really sure of the purpose of. Can somebody who has read The Promise please explain to me why Aang needs that necklace to connect with his past lives? He never needed it in the TV series, so i don't understand why losing the Fire Symbol would sever his connection.

The Promise doesn't explain it at all. Aang is just using it in the first volume, and then burns it in the last, and there's neither dialogue or visual cues to give it any significance.

If I had to speculate, I'd say at some point Aang doubled down on his love of symbolic gestures.

Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2014 06:36 pm »

Question. How does the Water Tribe subplot get resolved? Does that one jerky sister apologize?

It is 'resolved' very briefly. Honestly, out of the subplots in The Rift i'd say it was the most weakly resolved one. The spirit's conflict, Toph's relationship with her dad, Aang's spiritual connection (even though i don't really like the whole beads thing. They look nice but i don't think they were necessary) and his ties to the past are all resolved in a much more satisfactory way in my opinion.

Yes, Nutha does apologise. Transcript of the 'resolution scenes':

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(After the Metalbending Students free the captives from the mine's evil clutches)

Katara: Nutha, let one of the air acolytes check you over, to make sure you're okay.

Nutha: Katara, i, uh...thanks.

Katara: Yeah, no problem.

(After Aang's fight with GOI)

Nutha: And, well, you remember Auntie Ashuna's seal jerky?

Katara: Do i ever; when i was six i broke my tooth trying to eat that stuff!

Nutha's sister: *laughs*

Katara: *stands up* Niyok, Nutha, excuse me. Aang looks like he might need someone to talk to. It was great catching up with you both! About not going back home... I'm sorry. I miss the tribe so much. I'm going to -

Nutha: *waves her hand dismissively* Katara, stop. I acted like an idiot, all right? You and Sokka make us Southern water tribers proud.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaand that's that. I was hoping the stuff about the Southern Water Tribe going down the gutter would be addressed, but thems the breaks i guess.

Another thing i'm not a fan of is that Aang apparently regaining his connection with Roku by fixing his ceremonial beads, which i'm not really sure of the purpose of. Can somebody who has read The Promise please explain to me why Aang needs that necklace to connect with his past lives? He never needed it in the TV series, so i don't understand why losing the Fire Symbol would sever his connection.

The Promise doesn't explain it at all. Aang is just using it in the first volume, and then burns it in the last, and there's neither dialogue or visual cues to give it any significance.

If I had to speculate, I'd say at some point Aang doubled down on his love of symbolic gestures.

Ah, that's unfortunate and... bad storytelling honestly. Thanks for answering!

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2014 09:42 pm »

Eh, I'm kinda glad the Nutha stuff wasn't any more then that. I thought it was a weak plot to begin with. I'm just glad that she acknowledged that she was being ridiculous.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Chinoiserie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2014 04:56 am »

I think that in Promise the burning of the necklace is not a problem since it did not seem that it made the connection with Roku break, but that Aang just decided not to consult with Roku anymore. It seemed that Aang did it only for symbolic reasons and could still contact Roku if he wished since it was not explained at all. It is strange if in the Rift the necklace itself is so important. Maybe they are using it still to convey symbolically Aags state of mind but they are not using it well.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:06 pm »

Aang insists to General Old Iron that spirits and humans can be balanced with one another after GOI declares that he's going to wipe out all humans, but GOI rebuts to the Avatar that, even though Aang insists that he's the 'great bridge guy', he is a human and thus will inevitably side with them.

I found that whole section really interesting with regards to LoK.  I mean, it explains a lot about why some spirits might be willing to follow Unalaq, since for all his faults, he does seem to put spirits first.  And, it's also something that Korra proves utterly untrue by siding with spirit interests over human interests twice, first by leaving the portals open, and then by telling Republic City that they're just going to have to deal with the spirit vines.

On a different note, the split between General Old Iron and Lady Tienhai's views of humanity kind of reminds me of Tolkien, probably because I connect the idea of humans as "making-creatures" with Tolkien more than anyone else, and the desire to dominate was basically Tolkien's idea of evil.  Of course, humanity can display both traits, so it isn't as simple as either of the two spirits were making it seem.  Old Iron in particular seemed to think that human creativity was inherently an act of domination over the world, and so he demanded Yangchen keep Tienhai's land untouched despite the fact that that's the last thing Tienhai would have wanted.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2014 06:19 am »

And, it's also something that Korra proves utterly untrue by siding with spirit interests over human interests twice, first by leaving the portals open, and then by telling Republic City that they're just going to have to deal with the spirit vines.

Didn't she left the spirit vines alone because she couldn't deal with them?

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2014 10:36 am »

And, it's also something that Korra proves utterly untrue by siding with spirit interests over human interests twice, first by leaving the portals open, and then by telling Republic City that they're just going to have to deal with the spirit vines.

Didn't she left the spirit vines alone because she couldn't deal with them?

It seems more like her original reason for getting rid of them was because of the public reaction ("I don't think the people who used to live here are as excited about it as you are") and she decided after talking to Tenzin that she shouldn't let that determine how she would act ("Listen, I know you're having a tough time getting used to these changes, and I'm sorry for that. But you and everyone else are gonna have to learn to live with it.").  When she says, "The vines and the spirits are here to stay," that sounds less like, "I don't think there's a solution" and more like, "I don't care if there's a solution, because I'm not looking for one anymore."

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2014 02:26 pm »

I was really impressed with this whole trilogy. It was such a great insight from GOI that the Avatar will usually side with humans. It's just a thought that I never even considered since, I too am a human Tongue

Hmm, no preview for the next trilogy at the end of The Rift part 3... I guess they're waiting till Korra ends to announce the next trilogy or something, since it won't be overshadowed by the show then.
That's a good point. now I'm torn between not wanting TLOK to end and wanting to see what the next trilogy is D:

3DS FC: 2836-0221-8587
PM me if you add me
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2014 07:04 pm »

It is kind of ironic. If Aang knew Korra's spirit purification technique, he could have dealt with Iron without the hassle.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2014 09:58 pm »

It is kind of ironic. If Aang knew Korra's spirit purification technique, he could have dealt with Iron without the hassle.

He probably wouldn't have used it even if he could.  Spiritbending is basically an instakill against spirits.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2014 05:45 pm »

So I just got the book today and just finished reading it. Here are my thoughts:

So after the really stupid cliffhanger from part 2 (seriously, why couldn't Aang and Toph just earthbend them out?), the book opens with Sokka getting Toph's 3 students from the Promise to help them...well...metabend everyone out of the hole. So once again...why couldn't Aang and Toph just do that? Why do we need these three...because these 3 are honestly awful characters. Needless to say, not a promising start to the book.

It got a lot better though. I actually thought the rest was really great. In fact, it is probably my favorite individual graphic novel that we've had up to this point.

I mean, the Kataang was everywhere so that automatically gives it a 10/10. So much Kataang! Yay! Seriously though, I really like how the comics portray their relationship. Yeah, they were a little to sappy in The Promise but I like how they work off of each other. Katara is kind of Aang's unofficial adviser in a way and I like that he genuinely takes her words to heart. I know people say that Katara and Sokka get the short end of the stick in the comics but I've always kinda disagreed with that. I think Katara holds her own very well in them and that is just highlighted by the fact that she is very important in that she carries a big influence on Aang's decisions. So yeah, I've loved their relationship in these comics and this particular one really highlighted why. They also just have a lot of sweet moments and they really do feel like a team. I love it.

Everything else was great as well. Even the Toph vs. Aang fight. I was a little worried when I realized what was happening but I thought it was justified pretty well. And it finished about as quickly as it started. But it made sense. It wasn't like the brief Aang/Zuko fight in Promise Part 1 where it felt like it was unnecessary. What happened where was two people having opposing views and some sort of action had to be taken immediately. And though I am inclined to side with Aang since I don't like Toph...I don't think she was all that wrong either. I think both of their views were valid.

The fight between the General and Aang was also good...although I am sure it would have been much more excited if it was actually animated and not just in comic form. This comic really makes me wish that Nick would make tv movies out of these things. The ending to the fight was especially surprising.

Toph and Lao also got their closer. My only problem with this arc though is that Toph acted like to much of a pain in parts 1 and 2 for me to actually care about her character here so...I didn't really feel any strong feelings when Lao started respecting her. I'm glad that they made up but...eh.

I'm also glad the Nutha/Katara stuff didn't go how I thought it would. I was worried that Gene would use it as an excuse for Sokka and Katara to go back to the SWT, thereby separating the gaang. That didn't happen. The resolution here was simple but it worked. I was happy with it.

Sokka did get the short end of the stick once again though. He had one moment to shine (beating Vachir) but that's about it. Honestly, Sokka is almost like the Asami of the comics...except that he actually has personality. I mean, I'd rather have Sokka here and not doing much then having him not be present at all but it'd be nice if Gene found some way to make him more important. Toph has her school. Zuko's Fire Lord, Aang's the Avatar, Katara's pretty much Aang's adviser/support, and Sokka's just...there.

All in all, this was probably my favorite of the comics which is surprising to me because up until now, the Rift was my least favorite of the trilogies (parts 1 and 2, just didn't really grab me). Now though, I'd put the Rift as a whole ahead of the Promise but behind the Search when it comes to how much I like each individual trilogy.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Red Lotus Grandmaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2014 08:34 am »

So once again...why couldn't Aang and Toph just do that? Why do we need these three...because these 3 are honestly awful characters. Needless to say, not a promising start to the book.

Because the whole mine was made of Iron, and Aang cannot metal bend.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2014 08:45 am »

I must say, Gurihiru impressed me with the Spirit-Kaiju fight and they have improved the rain sequence too since The Promise Part 3 where there was a similar weather event.

Now to the story for Part 3. For the first time, it doesn't really end on a good note since General Old Iron doesn't magically change his mind and get appeased easily. Instead, he just retreats back into the ocean. I feel for both him and Aang. For once, it's not a win-win situation where everyone's happy.

As for my feelings for the whole trilogy in general, it's fuzzy at the moment. I need to re-read it from Parts 1 to 3 again and refresh my memory.

Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2014 09:08 am »

I'd say that this comic is my favourite single comic out of every one that I've read. (Namely, Parts 1 2 and 3 of The Search and The Rift.) However, i'd still say my favourite trilogy overall is The Search, because Parts 1 and 2 of The Rift i didn't find as engaging as The Search's Parts 1 and 2.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: