Nov 20, 2019 08:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rift Part 3 - Speculation [NO spoilers please!]  (Read 22724 times)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #125 on: Sep 03, 2014 12:50 pm »

Maybe have a SWT trilogy and a minicomic about the Ozai society.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #126 on: Sep 03, 2014 12:50 pm »

We already had a mini-comic about the Ozai society.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #127 on: Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm »

One more can't hurt.

In all honesty, the whole Ozai thing is a pathetic mess who got taken down by a bored teenage girl, a skilled one but when you plan to assault a castle full of benders (including the most powerful one of the nations and a ton of elite ones, including powerful warriors and stuffs) and a single teenager is enough to destroy your soldiers, the only thing you can take over is a random hill.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #128 on: Sep 03, 2014 02:18 pm »

In all honesty, the whole Ozai thing is a pathetic mess who got taken down by a bored teenage girl, a skilled one but when you plan to assault a castle full of benders (including the most powerful one of the nations and a ton of elite ones, including powerful warriors and stuffs) and a single teenager is enough to destroy your soldiers, the only thing you can take over is a random hill.

And that's my point, they were taken out by one person who was not even a bender. They are nowhere near strong enough to be a threat yet.

I feel like Gene is setting up this group for the long game. Having the next trilogy be about them would feel premature.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #129 on: Sep 03, 2014 02:40 pm »

Yeah but if it isn't setup correctly enough, we'll have a group who lose to Mai alone become strong enough to storm the firelord castle and fight the multiples elites benders/non benders inside without any explanations, even if the leader explain that they made deals with powerful, rich people to buy weapons, better soldiers and all, this will feel weird.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #130 on: Sep 03, 2014 06:12 pm »

So is that confirmation that the Bei Fong fortune actually comes from Poppy? Lao was the one who got thrown out of the house and had to make a new life elsewhere, by investing in some new desperate business.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #131 on: Sep 03, 2014 07:08 pm »

^I was under the impression that Lao left willingly, not that he was thrown out. Maybe he understands where Poppy is coming from and believes her to be right so he decided to punish himself.

Also, I forgot to mention this in my last posts but I'm mildly annoyed at Toph's metalbending students returning. They are awful characters.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #132 on: Sep 03, 2014 07:17 pm »

^I was under the impression that Lao left willingly, not that he was thrown out. Maybe he understands where Poppy is coming from and believes her to be right so he decided to punish himself.

Could be, could be, but I remember there was a theory bouncing around a while ago that Poppy was the one with the real power, so I'm excited to see it still viable.

Also, I forgot to mention this in my last posts but I'm mildly annoyed at Toph's metalbending students returning. They are awful characters.

This goes without saying. Cheesy

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #133 on: Sep 03, 2014 07:37 pm »

^It's possible. I heard that in some cultures the man can take the bride's maiden name if she's from a powerful family and if the said family (particularly the father) allows it, thus the man is "adopted" into the line. Maybe Lao is that case.

Speaking of Poppy, is it possible that she realized her mistake with Toph before Lao did? Lao is a stubborn man and he's only admitting now because he thinks he's going to die. If not then she's just scapegoating.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #134 on: Sep 03, 2014 09:01 pm »

Poppy always seemed subordinate to me. I think she followed Lao's ideas, believing him to be right and then when Toph ran away, she blamed him for driving Toph away. To her, I don't think it was so much as her realizing her own mistake as it was her realizing Lao's.

Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #135 on: Sep 04, 2014 09:34 am »

Maybe she was emotionally manipulative and only seemed to be the subordinate wife, when in reality she controlled Lao and the family wallet?
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #136 on: Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am »

Ho god, I swear I was all "HO GOD NO" when I saw them.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #137 on: Sep 04, 2014 02:23 pm »

Ho god, I swear I was all "HO GOD NO" when I saw them.

Hopefully, they're just there to give an update on the academy and show the number of metalbenders is growing. Tongue

Poppy always seemed subordinate to me. I think she followed Lao's ideas, believing him to be right and then when Toph ran away, she blamed him for driving Toph away. To her, I don't think it was so much as her realizing her own mistake as it was her realizing Lao's.

I'm guessing Poppy is the passive-aggressive type, maybe she believes Toph would've come home on her own if Lao hadn't sent bounty hunters after her, blaming him for just pushing their daughter all the more away. Whatever was the breaking point, at least it appears their relationship with Toph and each other was repaired by the time they took Suyin in.   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #138 on: Sep 04, 2014 02:26 pm »

I wonder if she'll appear in the end to reconcile with Lao.

Given that the terrible third appeared, I sorta except dis.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #139 on: Sep 04, 2014 05:55 pm »

Whatever was the breaking point, at least it appears their relationship with Toph and each other was repaired by the time they took Suyin in.  

Unless one of them remarries and Toph simply says "grandparents" instead of "your grandmother and your step-grandfather." Grin

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #140 on: Sep 06, 2014 12:09 pm »

Does anyone think that Lao and Poppy got divorced? Lao seems to want to deny any connection to her or Toph.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #141 on: Sep 06, 2014 02:54 pm »

^I'm not sure. Divorce was more of a European thing than Asian. Think of it as a 'Trial of separation' (which is something some couples do before considering a divorce).

Lao's biggest problem is that he is stubborn. The reason Toph ran away was because he didn't want to admit that she wasn't the helpless blind girl he wanted. Even when Toph confronts him about she has become the world's greater Earthbender and founder of Metal Bending, Lao still doesn't to admit that he was wrong about his daughter being 'delicate'.

Lao's denial is his way of coping with his mistakes. This is a bad thing for him because like Toph, he's running away from his problems. Like father, like daughter.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #142 on: Sep 08, 2014 01:45 pm »

Actually, Japan and Egypt had divorce going back several centuries.

I'm not saying it's what Lao and Poppy had, or that it wasn't the result of some cultural cross-pollination (I actually don't know either way, I'm not up on that history), but it was there, and given the Avatar franchise's progressiveness, I think it possible that divorce might be a Thing.

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #143 on: Sep 17, 2014 04:53 pm »

Gene's given an interview to newsarama.

http://t.co/c0SwmmtPaC

not much to add from previous interviews, but you might find it interesting.

Did you miss me?
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #144 on: Sep 18, 2014 01:41 am »

Gene's given an interview to newsarama.

http://t.co/c0SwmmtPaC

not much to add from previous interviews, but you might find it interesting.

Seems that if Gene gets his way, the comics will always follow a Zuko-Zuko-Toph pattern... I reeally hope I'm wrong here.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #145 on: Nov 04, 2014 05:04 pm »

I forgot that the Rift Part 3 supposedly comes out tomorrow in comic shops.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/23-345/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-The-Rift-Part-Three-TPB
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #146 on: Nov 04, 2014 05:16 pm »

I forgot that the Rift Part 3 supposedly comes out tomorrow in comic shops.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/23-345/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-The-Rift-Part-Three-TPB

What!? I thought it comes out on the 19!? I need find out where I can read it.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #147 on: Nov 04, 2014 05:26 pm »

^I think how it goes is that it's released earlier in comic book stores, followed by bookstores later. Nov 5th could be the release date for the comic book store or when reviewers are allowed to read it since reviews tend to come out first before comic is even released.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #148 on: Nov 04, 2014 11:29 pm »

Comic book store release is the 5th. Everywhere else is the 18th.

Red Lotus Grandmaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #149 on: Nov 05, 2014 06:25 am »

Ah. I wish I could buy it but I don't live in the US, and I doubt that they'll have it in any UK stores. Hopefully scans are relaxed online.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: