Dec 06, 2019 09:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rift Part 3 - Speculation [NO spoilers please!]  (Read 22826 times)
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Mar 23, 2014 08:37 am »

Amazon now has Part 3 listed as releasing on November 18th, but there's no description yet.

There is, however, an awesome-looking dark spirit on the cover, which is probably better than any description we could get.  XD  It's a really nice cover, honestly... changing out the standard group shots for Avatar State Aang at full power vs. a giant spirit was definitely a good choice.

Anyone want to speculate about how the dark spirit's going to play into what we've seen so far?

(I found the Amazon link from here, to give credit where credit's due)
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014 07:03 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2014 08:44 am »

That spirit...looks awesome. But it seems Rift is similar plot wise to Book 2 of Korra. Wan/Yang Chen fought some spirit and Korra/Aang finish the job. But I still like it. I hope we get to see ...Wan, I know it's a stretch but... maybe somehow Aang might speak to him.
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2014 08:56 am »

That's the best comic cover this series has had so far, in my opinion.
It's nice and dynamic, capturing something in the midst of battle rather than suffering from the "characters standing around looking shocked or pensive"-itis like some of the other covers. Plus, it's always a treat to see Aang back in the Avatar nucleus form. Any excuse Aang, seriously, it's awesome.
I don't think it comes as a surprise to anybody that Samurai-Gorilla spirit would be unleashed in Part 2, the second you see that design, you know it's going to be the final boss.
Though I can't help noticing that for a comic series that was supposed to be about Toph, from Part 1 to Part 3, Aang very much replaces Toph as the focus on the cover.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2014 11:10 am »

It's just the standard marketing thing.

"Guys, Toph is popular among the fandom. Let us promise a story revolving about her and let the fanbase go apeshit. By the time they realize Toph isn't the hero of the comics, it'll be too late for their money."

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2014 11:52 am »

^Well, it tackles Toph's issues with her parents and gives us a potential future husband for her so I'd say it's pretty focused on her even if the main plot is about fighting a spirit.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm »

...what if the spirit possesses Toph?  I mean, its physical form looks like a giant empty metal-and-stone golem, right?

It could be a non-corporeal spirit like Raava and Vaatu to avoid the permanent disfigurement issues, and the "have to defeat it before it kills her" ultimatum would make for good drama.

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2014 12:37 pm »

Will we see more comics after this I wonder. So far we had Zuko/Aang centric, Zuko/Azula centric, Toph/Aang centric comics. If we will see more, I bet it's about Water Tribes. Maybe the girls from the first volume will be carried over to the next trilogy?
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2014 12:39 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2014 01:01 pm »

Well given that Dark Horse are only just starting to merchandise the franchise, I'd say it's a safe bet they don't expect it to end any time soon. That and Gene Yang expressing a desire to carry on.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2014 02:04 pm »

...what if the spirit possesses Toph?  I mean, its physical form looks like a giant empty metal-and-stone golem, right?

It could be a non-corporeal spirit like Raava and Vaatu to avoid the permanent disfigurement issues, and the "have to defeat it before it kills her" ultimatum would make for good drama.

Maybe that's what happened to the Statue Lady? Maybe she was an Earthbender possessed and/or sacrificed herself to defeat the dark spirit and Yangchen is trying to warn Aang so he doesn't lose someone he cares about like she did.   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2014 03:23 pm »

I love that cover. Easily the best one yet. I'm also hoping the "spirit" being pictured is actually a robot of some kind, but I'm aware that the odds are against me.

Can anyone see if Aang's eyes are glowing there? I hope he isn't depicted as still being an Avatar State n00b just because it looks cool and is a visual with which casual fans are familiar.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2014 03:26 pm »

Yeah, I think it is glowing lol.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2014 03:32 pm »

Wow...what a cover...

And yeah, it looks like his eyes are glowing.

Oh, and watch that cover just be a placeholder Grin

Will we see more comics after this I wonder.

In an interview Gene said that he thinks the comics will keep going. He said what Bryke wanted to do with them is show thew gaangs lives after the war and before LoK. So it sounds like we will get a least one more trilogy after this. And I expect it to be Katara centric (I personally think those water tribe girls in part 1 are set up for the next trilogy).
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2014 03:40 pm by Avatar Epsilon » Logged

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2014 03:49 pm »

Can anyone see if Aang's eyes are glowing there? I hope he isn't depicted as still being an Avatar State n00b just because it looks cool and is a visual with which casual fans are familiar.

He's not necessarily being depicted as an Avatar State n00b -- he might be in the emotion-driven Avatar State for some other reason, the way he was in The Promise.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2014 03:55 pm »

Tom-A-to, tom-Ah-to.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2014 04:22 pm »

At the end of the Promise though he went into the Avatar State willingly but he was still glowing constantly so...maybe thats just how he uses it.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2014 04:35 pm »

At the end of the Promise though he went into the Avatar State willingly but he was still glowing constantly so...maybe thats just how he uses it.
You're right. Avatars are free to use the continuous State even after mastering it. If I remember, Korra did so a few times in Book 2. Though the main difference between continuous and non-continuous is that continuous is...well a constant stream of power rather than temporary.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2014 04:40 pm »

Welp, we're spoiled about "The rift part 2" (the end anyway).
I wonder if this spirit will manage to stand its ground against the Avatar State or get curb-stomped to oblivion.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2014 06:15 pm »

Welp, we're spoiled about "The rift part 2" (the end anyway).
I wonder if this spirit will manage to stand its ground against the Avatar State or get curb-stomped to oblivion.

Well to be fair, I feel the Dark Spirit being released was going to obviously happened. Its not a major spoiler.

I think it will give a good fight though. Obviously, Aang will win in the end but I can't see it getting curb-stomped.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2014 07:05 pm »

We still don't know that it isn't a robot designed to make people think the Dark Spirit is active and doing something. Grin

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2014 08:14 pm »

A samurai rock thing? Huh. Okay...

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AmonKorra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2014 11:04 pm »

What I'm curious about is whether it is a spirit. At this point, with no justification whatsoever, I think it's Toph doing with earth what Aang was able to do (supernatural help aside) with water.

"The power of the shinobi...is the power to protect what's important to you."
"Okay, then, tell me. Are you prepared to kill to protect what's important to you?"
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2014 01:50 am »

I'm pretty sure its a spirit since in Part 1 Aang mentioned a powerful Dark Spirit that Yangchen defeated...and now Yangchen is warning him about something now.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2014 12:18 pm »

A samurai rock thing? Huh. Okay...

The major antagonist of the next trilogy is a Water Ninja thing.

I'm pretty sure its a spirit since in Part 1 Aang mentioned a powerful Dark Spirit that Yangchen defeated...and now Yangchen is warning him about something now.

I imagine it's buried under the factory and said factory is going to awaken it, naturally, everyone will ignore the warnings (or, everyone will be too busy being angry at each other) and it will rise in all it's Kaiju glory.

Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2014 12:43 pm »

Maybe that's what happened to the Statue Lady? Maybe she was an Earthbender possessed and/or sacrificed herself to defeat the dark spirit and Yangchen is trying to warn Aang so he doesn't lose someone he cares about like she did.   

My instinct is to say Statue Lady is to Samurai-Rock-Monster as Panda-Hei Bai was to Cloverfield-Venom-Hei Bai.
That is to say that Statue Lady was the designated spirit overseeing that particular natural site (à la Hei Bai and his forest, The Painted Lady and her river) and once her land is defiled, she goes bananas until everything is back in order, assuming this is going along with the established lore and isn't a whole new scenario we haven't seen yet.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2014 12:59 pm »

I dunno, Hikaru and Lizzy made a theory about how SLF actually fought the Dark Spirit alongside Yangchen, her lov... her friend and sacrificed herself in order to seal the monster away and Yangchen made the statue in her honor.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: