Dec 07, 2019 05:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #8] The Rift, Part 2  (Read 35960 times)
ChrisTinnef
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Jul 16, 2014 06:42 am »

The look Lao gives to Toph in the last panel gives me some hope they will reconcile in Part 3.

Didn't catch that look the first time, thanks for pointing it out! Yeah, it's quite obvious now that once Toph has saved his life he'll be able to appreciate who she became.

Btw, was I the only one who thought that Yangchen's appearance in the flashback was kinda a  rip-off of known characters? So she has a special lemur accompanying her, as well as an old spiritual and skilled man? *cough* Iroh *cough*

But Gene really surprised me a few times in this issue, so I think it's one of the better ones. The story is still not that interesting, but it's executed in a nice way.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2014 05:17 pm »

Is that a rip-off of other ATLA characters, or just riffs on well-known archetypes? Most successful people have older mentors at some point in their lives, and a heroic character having a special pet is hardly a big deal.

Not having read the comic yet, I'm just glad to hear that Yangchen's life and relationships are getting fleshed out, instead of the fairly sparse portrayal we got of Kyoshi in her appearances.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2014 09:25 pm »

I enjoyed the comic mainly for the drama between Toph and her father, some fun banter during the action scenes, and the look into Yangchen's life as the Avatar as well as some new spirits added to the lore of the Avatar world.  I agree though that the final "cliffhanger" was pretty weak.  It's a purely physical threat that we know Toph, Katara, and Sokka all make it out of.  No real suspense.  Previous cliffhangers in the comics have been good and drove suspense -- Zuko going to his father, the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom forces heading for a confrontation, Zuko discovering that letter, Aang encountering a mysterious spirit.  They made me interested in what comes next, while I'm more interested in what comes next  from Rift P2 because of what else has gone on in comic, not for that cliffhanger.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2014 12:18 pm »

I have a bone to pick with the cliffhanger though. I don't mind cliffhangers but...they have to make sense. This one doesn't. So half of the characters are trapped in the mine with only Toph stopping all rocks from collapsing on them. Aang starts to earthbend them out and then Katara tells him to stop with the reasoning that because there is iron ore mixed with the rocks, he could cause the mine to completely crush them all. Um...what?
No, Katara's reasoning was that if Aang did too much digging or dug in the wrong places, the whole thing could collapse on them and even Toph wouldn't be able to hold it all together. The presence of iron ore is also kind of important, because it implies that not only are Aang's efforts hazardous to them, they will be in vain because he will hit a sheet of iron which he won't be able to bend.

Master Boma reminded me of Toza physically.
srebak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Jul 21, 2014 06:52 pm »

I read the comic a while back, and i have to say, that handful of scenes with the Cabbage guy just didn't sit well with me and i can't even fully grasp why
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #30 on: Jul 21, 2014 08:20 pm »

I have a bone to pick with the cliffhanger though. I don't mind cliffhangers but...they have to make sense. This one doesn't. So half of the characters are trapped in the mine with only Toph stopping all rocks from collapsing on them. Aang starts to earthbend them out and then Katara tells him to stop with the reasoning that because there is iron ore mixed with the rocks, he could cause the mine to completely crush them all. Um...what?
No, Katara's reasoning was that if Aang did too much digging or dug in the wrong places, the whole thing could collapse on them and even Toph wouldn't be able to hold it all together.

But why couldn't Aang AND Toph use a combination of Earth and metalbending to hold it all together. They are trapped in a small space in the mind. It shouldn't be to hard for the two of them to stop the earth from collapsing onto that one space.

The presence of iron ore is also kind of important,because it implies that not only are Aang's efforts hazardous to them, they will be in vain because he will hit a sheet of iron which he won't be able to bend.

But Toph can.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Sifu Metalbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Jul 22, 2014 07:46 pm »

OK, just finished part two. My thoughts so far...

Lao wanted a proper high society lady, he got a soldier, and that is why he disowned his daughter. Although, after she saves him, the reconciliation process will begin, but it is going to get really ugly before it gets better. For some reason, I get the feeling that he and Poppy are separated, possibly due to the fact that he paid Xin Fu and Master Yu to essentially kidnap Toph and the false letter that was thought to be written by Poppy may have been the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back.

On the Water Tribe arc...

All of the men presumably returned after the war and Hakoda is once again functioning as Chief. We also know that Sokka did have the position of Chief (likely relinquishing his position as Chairman of the URC when Hakoda died) presumably until his death. After Sokka died, Tonraq and Unalaq's father took control of the south and it once again became a NWT colony until the defeat of Vaatu and Tonraq's ascension to the position.  However, the NWT may have had influence from the time they sent aide at the end of the war, and they were finally able to take advantage of said influence after Sokka's death. Niyok and Nutha's problems may have started before the end of the war, and they were not there when Northern settlers arrived.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014 07:49 pm by Sifu Metalbender » Logged

Viper: You're in Triple Threat Triad territory, and we're about to put you in the hospital.
Korra: You're the only ones who are gonna need a hospital, and for your sake, I hope there's one nearby.
Viper: Who do you think you are?
Korra: Why don't you come and find out.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #32 on: Jul 22, 2014 09:10 pm »

Lao wanted a proper high society lady, he got a soldier, and that is why he disowned his daughter. Although, after she saves him, the reconciliation process will begin, but it is going to get really ugly before it gets better. For some reason, I get the feeling that he and Poppy are separated, possibly due to the fact that he paid Xin Fu and Master Yu to essentially kidnap Toph and the false letter that was thought to be written by Poppy may have been the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back.

First Mai's Father kidnaps Tom-Tom and leaves Mai's Mother, now Poppy and Lao are seperated.

Man, we didn't have many married couples in ATLA, and now they're all breaking up. Cheesy

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2014 10:34 pm »

On the Water Tribe arc...

All of the men presumably returned after the war and Hakoda is once again functioning as Chief. We also know that Sokka did have the position of Chief (likely relinquishing his position as Chairman of the URC when Hakoda died) presumably until his death. After Sokka died, Tonraq and Unalaq's father took control of the south and it once again became a NWT colony until the defeat of Vaatu and Tonraq's ascension to the position.  However, the NWT may have had influence from the time they sent aide at the end of the war, and they were finally able to take advantage of said influence after Sokka's death. Niyok and Nutha's problems may have started before the end of the war, and they were not there when Northern settlers arrived.

It is possible that the sisters left before the North came to help rebuild the South. I do keep asking myself how on earth were they able to survive Sokka? Last I checked he was the only man of the tribe that did the hunting. No matter how you look at it I can understand why the only sister is upset. How would you feel if two of your friends leave and never came back for 'something better' while you had to struggle on trying to find food. While helping the Avatar end the war is a huge honour it doesn't change the fact that some people may have felt like the siblings abandoned them. If Zuko was able to take time off to find his mom then why can't Sokka and Katara take a day or two off to help out the tribe? Their grandmother could be dead for all we know (I'm sure she's not but you get the idea).

As for Lao and Poppy's possible 'divorce', I can see it happening for various reasons. I think both Lao and Toph share the blame of what has become with their family. Toph running away most likely led Lao and his wife in a very difficult position with the family as a whole (ridicule from their social circle for having an unruly daughter of nobility. That was a big no-no back then), while Lao doesn't want to admit that he messed up as a parent just so he could maintain whatever noble image he has left. I think he is proud of Toph for saving the world but once again he's too stubborn to admit it. The way I can see Poppy leaving is that it was either to get away from the embarrassment or she did start feel proud of her daughter's accomplishments and left to look for her and never came back.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jul 23, 2014 02:48 am »

No matter how you look at it I can understand why the only sister is upset.

I can't honestly. The sister is mad at Katara and Sokka for leaving as oppose to what? The alternative of the Fire Nation winning the war and killing everyone?

She should be a little more grateful. Sokka and Katara are the reason she's still breathing to complain to them.

At least Niyok seems a little more respectful and understanding about it. Nutha just needs to be smacked in the head.

I mean, she's complaining that it was hard to find work. Boo-hoo. Katara and Sokka were being chased around the world, having their lives threatened on a daily basis and they weren't even being paid for it.

If Zuko was able to take time off to find his mom then why can't Sokka and Katara take a day or two off to help out the tribe?

And help do what exactly? There is a large NWT presence there helping them rebuild. I doubt Katara and Sokka going back would really put a difference in things.

However, it does seem like that is what the next trilogy is setting up to be. I'm fine with that but like I said a week or so ago, I don't want the core gaang splitting up. So have at least Aang go with them (it would be part of his job after all, at least  more so then helping Zuko find his mom) and I'll be happy.

Unfortunately, for Toph fans though, she'll probably be left out again if the next trilogy is in the Watertribe since she wouldn't be able to see there.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2014 03:40 am »

Okay, after watching TLOK ep 306 where older Toph mentions to Su that she's staying with her grandparents (plural), it's 100% certain she reconciles with both Lao and Poppy. And I guess Poppy and Lao too if they separated.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Avatar Cycle never stops

« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2014 03:29 pm »

Weren't we promised more Toph in this trilogy?

We knew Yangchen's Festival would play into things, but Toph still isn't at the center of anything.  We barely even got to hear from Satoru.

Faster than Wikia, The Avatar Cycle never stops

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2014 03:46 pm »

Yes we were. And compared to the last two trilogies this is Toph's biggest role. Last trilogy didn't even have Toph in it so that promise is still correct.

I think Toph's role is fine here. I don't think I can stand it being any bigger then it is.

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jul 24, 2014 04:32 am »

Toph has the problem of Mai and Suki, that she's a VERY interesting support character, but somewhat of a dull lead. We have as much time with her as can be allowed, before her somewhat one-dimensional character starts getting on everyone's nerves.

I'm quite happy with the comics (even if I question some of the things that happened) as they are, nothing too great, but no big issues either. Overall an "average".

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #39 on: Jul 24, 2014 07:53 pm »

If Zuko was able to take time off to find his mom then why can't Sokka and Katara take a day or two off to help out the tribe?

And help do what exactly? There is a large NWT presence there helping them rebuild. I doubt Katara and Sokka going back would really put a difference in things.

Hm... why were those Northerners coming down to help the South again?

Oh, that's right, Katara fixed the entire Northern Water Tribe and convinced one of their leaders to make overtures to the Southern Tribe.

A little in-universe gratitude would be nice. Cheesy

Toph has the problem of Mai and Suki, that she's a VERY interesting support character, but somewhat of a dull lead. We have as much time with her as can be allowed, before her somewhat one-dimensional character starts getting on everyone's nerves.

I dunno, I think Mai could work as the lead in a story like For a Fistful of Dollars. However, the likes of Toph can't do that kind of understated protagonist role.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jul 24, 2014 10:18 pm »

Oh, that's right, Katara fixed the entire Northern Water Tribe and convinced one of their leaders to make overtures to the Southern Tribe.

That had nothing to do with rebuilding a city though. That was changing part of the culture. The Southern Watertribe has to be rebuilt. I don't know what grand contributions Sokka or Katara could make in that regard.

Come to think of it, if the Southern Watertribe is being rebuilt why is is so hard to find work for the people there? Shouldn't there be construction jobs all over the place?

A little in-universe gratitude would be nice. Cheesy

Gratitude to who?

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #41 on: Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm »

Gratitude to Katara. Basically, I'm saying that any help or acknowledgement that the Southern Tribe got was because of her actions. So getting mad that she left is counter-productive, and wanting her to come back now is nothing but petulant. Yes, maybe some of those women had to go do their own fishing once the the teenagers left, but in less than a year, that investment paid off big time.

And yeah, things should be good now. Unless Gran-Gran is corrupt and diverting all the public works funds.

Water1987
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm »

It's also possible that Nutha is jealous of Sokka and Katara.
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 25, 2014 02:56 am »

And yeah, things should be good now. Unless Gran-Gran is corrupt and diverting all the public works funds.

I'm not going to lie, I want to see that.

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #44 on: Aug 05, 2014 09:38 am »

A fine book, we get a little more info on the set up from part 1, like those two water tribe girls. And Toph's dad is still his stubbern, but than again that is when Toph gets her stubbern, the whole family is stubbern, but than Earth Bending is a stubbern element.

So the Rough Rhinos are they going to be good guys? Maybe maybe not. We will see hopefully in the book series, hopefully there is one.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Aug 06, 2014 02:33 am »

So the Rough Rhinos are they going to be good guys?

They're thugs for hire. If they do end up working for the good guys, it'd be for money.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #46 on: Aug 06, 2014 06:05 pm »

What if they become singing entertainers for the Ozai Society, at their roasts and club meetings?

Does that count as being bad guys if they're working for free and not doing anything but singing dirty ditties?

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #47 on: Aug 06, 2014 06:11 pm »

Depends on their singing skills.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Soko Toko Jinko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ease on down the Road

« Reply #48 on: Aug 09, 2014 08:28 pm »

On a side note, is it me, or does the younger water tribe sister look a lot like Senna.

I also think that the older sister looks a lot like Korra, which makes me think that either Nutha or Niyok is Senna's mother.

The journey is more fulfilling than the destination.
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #49 on: Aug 10, 2014 01:52 am »

I actually would think it would be cool if one of them was Senna's mother. It would be a cool way to link the comics to Korra without it being through an ATLA character we saw.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: