Nov 12, 2019 03:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #8] The Rift, Part 2  (Read 35809 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Feb 20, 2014 05:11 am »

Amazon has listed The Rift, Part 2 and will be released on 29th July 2014. Previews world for Dark Horse comics has also listed it but the release date is listed as 16th July 2014.

The Rift is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. A professional reviews thread will be set up in due time. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of The Rift and other future comics, please see  The Rift Part 2 - Speculation and Future Avatar Comics.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 10:29 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2014 10:29 pm »

Thread unlocked early as some people have received the comic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2014 10:34 pm »

I've been hearing that it's been released early so I have a few questions in regard to the plot.

What's Yangchen's story? Gene said that she was different compared to the other air benders.

Why did Lao disown Toph? I know I kept saying it was because Toph disgraced the family when she ran away, but I just wanted to know if I was right on that.

Do we find out about those two girls that Katara was friends with?
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 10:42 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2014 11:08 pm »

I've been hearing that it's been released early so I have a few questions in regard to the plot.

I will gladly answer them.  ^_^

Spoilers follow, obviously.

What's Yangchen's story? Gene said that she was different compared to the other air benders.

We don't find out the whole story in this part, because the parts that would be relevant to the conflict Aang will face got cut off by an inconvenient earthquake.

What we know is this:

- The statue lady was a spirit named Lady Tienhai, who was somehow killed by the humans whose city used to exist in the place where Yangchen's festival was celebrated.  She was benevolent towards humans, so her death was bad for everyone.
- The stone samurai was a spirit named General Old Iron, who was Lady Tienhai's protector.  He wanted to destroy the humans' city because they killed Lady Tienhai, so Yangchen fought him to keep him from hurting anyone. 
- Yangchen and her master kept the people safe, but she was unable to save the city because she was inexperienced and couldn't use the Avatar State of her own will yet.
- The ruler of the city admitted to personal responsibility for Lady Tienhai's death, and General Old Iron attacked in a rage.  Yangchen used the defensive Avatar State to stop him, then brokered some kind of deal in which a ritual would be carried out for all eternity in exchange for General Old Iron's mercy.

Why did Lao disown Toph? I know I kept saying it was because Toph disgraced the family when she ran away, but I just wanted to know if I was right on that.

Lao disowned Toph because he felt like she wasn't the daughter he raised.  He didn't really get that the Toph he saw was an act, and he refused to believe that the current Toph was his daughter because he wanted that Toph back.

Do we find out about those two girls that Katara was friends with?

Yes.  They work in the Earthen Fire mines because things aren't going well in the Southern Water Tribe.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
HaZardous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2014 11:53 pm »

SLF x Mecha Gorilla Samurai confirmed canon, not Yangchen x SLF. Tongue
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2014 12:08 am »

Yes.  They work in the Earthen Fire mines because things aren't going well in the Southern Water Tribe.

Does it sound like they want Katara and Sokka to go back? What was Katara and Sokka's reaction to that?

To be honest, I'm kinda worried that Katara and Sokka are going to go back to the SWT semi-permanently for a while because of pressure from these two random WT girls. This would them take them out of the series (or at least separate Team Avatar) for a while. Since I haven't heard much about that part of the comic though I can't tell whether or not if that is where Gene is taking this.

What did it seem like to you?

I know most of the other events in the comic but everyone around the internet seems to be strangely silent about this part.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2014 01:21 am »

Just read the comic and my thoughts are going to be random.

Interesting to see Cabbage Merchant again. Poor guy.

Tienhai literally means sky and sea. Seems to be a reference to the Goddess Nuwa who repaired Heaven and created mankind.

I suppose the Yangchen Festival pays respects to the land and possibly some offerings are given to General Old Iron.

The look Lao gives to Toph in the last panel gives me some hope they will reconcile in Part 3.

And if I guess right, General Old Iron is the iron ore deposit and he's waking up from the lack of ritual for the past 100 hundred years. Then he attempts to destroy the village like he wanted to. Aang stops him, of course. And maaaybe the place becomes Republic City. Or the idea of benders from 3 nations working together in a factory gives Aang the inspiration to create Republic City.

Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm »

The highlight of this comic for me was the the epic fight between Yancheng and old general Iron.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2014 04:23 pm »

Yes.  They work in the Earthen Fire mines because things aren't going well in the Southern Water Tribe.

Does it sound like they want Katara and Sokka to go back? What was Katara and Sokka's reaction to that?

To be honest, I'm kinda worried that Katara and Sokka are going to go back to the SWT semi-permanently for a while because of pressure from these two random WT girls. This would them take them out of the series (or at least separate Team Avatar) for a while. Since I haven't heard much about that part of the comic though I can't tell whether or not if that is where Gene is taking this.

I know most of the other events in the comic but everyone around the internet seems to be strangely silent about this part.

I have not seen the comic book either, but my guess is that this is where they might be going with this. Sokka and Katara have yet to be the focus of a graphic novel arc. I am not worried if it does happen, it might be for just a visit, and I am sure at least Aang will go with them, and anyone else on team Avatar who can.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2014 04:27 pm by colle » Logged
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2014 06:13 pm »

It's not really a big part of the comic, that's why.  They get a few panels of explanation of why they're working in the mines, and they seem more bitter that the Southern Water Tribe was left in the lurch than they seem like they want Sokka and Katara to go back.  If that subplot gets followed up on, I expect Aang to go with Sokka and Katara to help out more than I expect those two to leave the group.

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2014 09:52 pm »

^Yeah, I'm with you on that. I'm just a pessimist. I love reading the comics because I like seeing new stories with my favorite characters together. The last thing I want is for Team Avatar (especially the core group of Aang, Katara, and Sokka) to split up. My pessimistic nature just leads me to assume that is where Gene is taking this but the more rational side of me knows that Aang would at least most likely go with them. There is no reason he wouldn't.

On another note, I finally was able to find out a place to read the comic though. Honestly, it wasn't my favorite of the comics. In fact, except for The Promise Part 2, it is probably my least favorite. I still liked it but apart from Toph's meeting with Lao and Yangchen's back-story, nothing really excited me. Though the Cabbage Guy was a nice and unexpected cameo.

I have a bone to pick with the cliffhanger though. I don't mind cliffhangers but...they have to make sense. This one doesn't. So half of the characters are trapped in the mine with only Toph stopping all rocks from collapsing on them. Aang starts to earthbend them out and then Katara tells him to stop with the reasoning that because there is iron ore mixed with the rocks, he could cause the mine to completely crush them all. Um...what?

Toph was holding up the mine by metalbending all the iron...so why can't Aang just earthbend the rocks away while Toph metalbends the iron away. I get that the book needs to end on a cliffhanger but this just doesn't make sense to me. Katara's reasoning for why Aang can't just help get them out seems like a lazy excuse on Gene's part for why this cliffhanger is necessary.

We know this ancient spirit guy is gonna wake up. A much better cliffhanger would have been Aang helping everyone get out of the collapsed mines and once everyone is out, the spirit rises up from all the debris. That would have made sense. What actually happened doesn't. I can't think of a way to justify it in my head.  
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2014 09:55 pm by Avatar Epsilon » Logged

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2014 04:58 am »

True. Aang could just activate the Avatar State, he can easily save everyone with this power.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2014 01:44 pm »

Aang doesn't have control of the Avatar State, remember? The cartoon finale lied to us. Tongue

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2014 01:49 pm »

I do believe he activate it against Zuko in the Promise.
"Saving you ? Nah, I keep this for overkills."

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2014 02:02 pm »

He didn't activate it, he got mad and did the constantly-glowing-eyes version of it. So he didn't have control, there.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2014 02:10 pm »

Oh well, it's true that the Avatar State can crush anything on it's path, comics villains would be boring if Aang was able to crush them in three panels.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2014 02:22 pm »

Yeah, Lex Luthor is the most boring character ever, especially when he goes up against Superman. Tongue

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2014 02:47 pm »

Luthor got Kryptonite and technology.
The comics vilains lack a magic rock and sufficient technology.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2014 02:59 pm »

That's pretty weird, considering that this current arc features rocks from the site of spirit shenanigans and lots of new technologies. Cheesy

To be less snarky about it, there's no point to a villain who can threaten Aang physically, Avatar State or not. We know Aang's not going to lose, because we know exactly when he dies. A truly great villain is one who threatens the stuff that Aang cares for, especially the people whose fates we don't already know. And it just so happens that Aang cares about everyone's life and well-being. There are all kinds of stories that could be told about that, with the Avatar State not even being a viable solution because smashing things is very rarely an effective solution.

Take a look at the latest Korra episodes. The Earth Queen is making life miserable for all of Ba Sing Se and its surrounding villages, but there's nothing Korra can do because people like Mako and Bolin's grandmother revere the Queen regardless of how awful she is. That's a good conflict for a global super-cop.

Threatening Aang with a rockslide that could kill him, Katara, Sokka, and Toph is... utterly pointless since we've seen them as adults in Legend of Korra. Whether or not Aang has the physical power to do anything about it is irrelevant to how boring a situation it is.

Superman: The Movie understood this, and had Lex Luthor shoot two nuclear missiles in opposite directions while he kept Superman distracted. Superman could only stop one, and the other would allow Luthor to win. It's that kind of villain who should be threatening Aang right now.

Or, you don't even need a villain. Have a rockslide threaten two different groups of people, and Aang can only save one. Sure, when we read the next issue, it turns out that Aang came up with a clever way to save both sets of people anyway, but if it's not a cheap move, then it's a rewarding pay-off for real dramatic tension.

All of this comes from an author who is capable of really asking, "What happens if the hero of my story fails?" And the best ones know how to make that happen without diminishing the hero, or ending the story. They can set up situations where the tension isn't, "Oh no, is the hero going to die halfway through the movie without anyone relevant to take their place?" Because no one falls for that. At least, not above the age of six.

That's why Jet is such a good episode. Aang fights Jet to save a village, and fails. The fight had tension, and the drama came when we realized that all of Aang and Katara's power was no match for a dude who can whistle.

And the payoff came when we learned that Sokka had saved the village, by doing something unexpected.

That's storytelling.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2014 03:06 pm »

Ha. Great point.

Water1987
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2014 09:23 pm »

I'd really like to know what troubles the Southern Water Tribe is going through. You'd think things would get better there once the war ended. The men have returned and the Northern Tribe is helping to rebuild. Are the Northerners starting to take over? Could this be a foreshadowing of "Korra" season 2? Maybe Niyok and Nutha left the South because they didn't want to live under the North's rule. It's also possible that Nutha blames Sokka and Katara for the Northern Tribe intervening in the first place.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2014 02:47 am »

^That's what I was wondering.

The NWT sent aid to the South...shouldn't things be better there now?

Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2014 07:12 am »

^That's what I was wondering.

The NWT sent aid to the South...shouldn't things be better there now?

Unless the North IS the problem.
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2014 11:12 am »

Can some please explain to me what Yancheng meant about the avatar state being an issue during her fight. I was under the impression that she had full control of it and complete overwhelmed general Iron when she used it.

On a side note, is it me, or does the younger water tribe sister look a lot like Senna.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2014 01:39 pm »

Can some please explain to me what Yancheng meant about the avatar state being an issue during her fight. I was under the impression that she had full control of it and complete overwhelmed general Iron when she used it.

She was just trying to explain why she didn't use it earlier.  From what it looks like, she has trouble activating the AS, but she isn't out of control when she goes into it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: