Dec 14, 2019 08:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rift Part 2 - Speculation [NO SPOILERS!]  (Read 17294 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2014 11:33 pm »

I get what you're saying but I'm not really sure what else you want him to do. He doesn't want Aang there so he can't just do nothing about it...at least from his point of view.

I mean if someone usually want to kick someone out of a factory like that, the person in question is asked to leave and if they don't security usually comes to get them to force them out...unfortunate for Lao the guy he wants out just happens to be a demi-god.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2014 11:49 pm »

Well, I'd like to think better of their boss, too. This guy is supposed to be savvy, but his method of dealing with the Avatar is "Get 'im!" I'm not feeling like this guy is a player, you know?

He might've assumed Aang and co. were just going to leave without putting up a fight.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Sifu Metalbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Jul 01, 2014 03:35 am »

The plot thickens. Toph's relationship with her parents is going to be a nail biter. Judging from the preview, the fandom is likely even closer to the edge of their seat than they were after the cliffhanger of part one.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2014 03:46 am by Sifu Metalbender » Logged

Viper: You're in Triple Threat Triad territory, and we're about to put you in the hospital.
Korra: You're the only ones who are gonna need a hospital, and for your sake, I hope there's one nearby.
Viper: Who do you think you are?
Korra: Why don't you come and find out.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #28 on: Jul 01, 2014 02:35 pm »

Toph is a war veteran, helped overthrow a tyrant, personally trained the Avatar and revolutionized a new form of bending all before turning thirteen, what possible shame would Lao have by acknowledging her as his daughter?   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #29 on: Jul 01, 2014 02:38 pm »

Toph is a war veteran, helped overthrow a tyrant, personally trained the Avatar and revolutionized a new form of bending all before turning thirteen, what possible shame would Lao have by acknowledging her as his daughter?  

The Gaang isn't getting any respect for saving the world, seriously.
If I was in Aang's place during Yu Dao, I would've destroyed the damn town before flipping off everyone and departing.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2014 02:40 pm by Solid Sun » Logged

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Jul 01, 2014 03:34 pm »

He was her parent and not only did he hide her from the world (which might give him some flak) but he also failed in...well, being a parent. He was unable to 'control' her for a lack of better term. That's not good for an upper class nobleman like himself.

The Gaang isn't getting any respect for saving the world, seriously.
If I was in Aang's place during Yu Dao, I would've destroyed the damn town before flipping off everyone and departing.

I still don't get why this is a problem. Korra saved the world in Book 2 yet no one is bowing to her every whim. Is there a problem with that.

Just because the gaang saved the world doesn't mean everyone should just bow to them indefinitely. People have their own opinions and if the gaang does something that disagrees with those opinions (like what was happening in Yu Dao) do you really expect them to do nothing about it? Do you really expect them to just step aside forever just because they saved the world at some point?

Would you let someone walk all over you and make decisions that affect you life without fighting back if you disagreed with them?

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #31 on: Jul 01, 2014 05:36 pm »

Well, if the person was Superman, sure. It's not like I could do a whole lot about that. See Alan Moore's Marvelman.

And Aang didn't just "save the world." Any idiot could save the world. Aang ended a century-long war in under a year, and did it by ripping out the soul of the baddest man of the plan and returning it with a big hole in the middle. If he didn't want to leave my factory, I'd just see if I could sell it to him and then go home.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Jul 01, 2014 05:41 pm »

Avatar's can be beaten though. They aren't invincible. It's not like Superman where you need some rare space rock to have any effect.

Aang's just stronger then most people. He's not invincible. He wants to shut down the factory. Lao and the other people in charge really have nothing to lose by trying to force him out because if they don't try, then they are going to lose the factory anyway.

So their options are to just do what you suggest and do nothing, thereby losing what they have been working on for the past year.

Or they could try to force him out and MAYBE keep what they have.

They'd be idiots not to try.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #33 on: Jul 01, 2014 05:44 pm »

Except then they're combat enemies of a dude who rips people's souls out and punches holes through the center.

I mean, maybe I would be desperate enough to try fighting back if all my life savings were invested, but I certainly wouldn't be afflicted by over-confidence.

I think I'd be more likely to try to trick Superman. You know, pull a Lex Luthor.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jul 01, 2014 06:08 pm »

Well they have to be prepared for him to pull a Lex Luther. And they weren't because they weren't expecting him to show up.

Their only choice at that point would be to do what they ended up doing, especially since Aang wasn't going to leave peacefully.

And it's a pretty big factory with a lot of new technology in it. I'd say tons of money have already been invested in it. Maybe not life savings but I'd imagine it'd still be a lot. You can't just expect them to give it up, whether they are going up against a demi-god or not...especially when that demi-god was a known pacifist who wasn't going to get up and kill you on a whim. So its not like they have to worry about the ripping out souls part of your argument.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #35 on: Jul 01, 2014 06:22 pm »

The whole part of the "Ripping soul" deal is that you'll live after it.
And Aang is a strong bender even without the Avatar State.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #36 on: Jul 01, 2014 07:45 pm »

Do characters who have never met Aang know that he's a pacifist? He's probably famous for wiping out an entire Fire Navy and leaving no survivors. Aside from the whole ripping-souls-out thing, of course.

I dunno, even if the situation is desperate enough that your only hope is to shoot bullets at Superman, I still think the tone of the whole thing is just wrong. Why are these people confident that the Avatar would be no problem compared to an old man and a fugitive prince? It's not the attempt to fight back that's the problem, it's the over-confidence.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2014 08:05 pm »

Well I won't argue hard on the over-confidence bit. At the same time though its not like that's unnatural. People act overconfident a lot of time to feel/seem in control...and we all know Lao is a control freak.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jul 01, 2014 08:36 pm »

Do characters who have never met Aang know that he's a pacifist? He's probably famous for wiping out an entire Fire Navy and leaving no survivors. Aside from the whole ripping-souls-out thing, of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aang's pacifism is well-known, for one very important reason: Ozai's still alive.

I mean, think about it.  There have got to be a bunch of people in the Earth Kingdom who want Ozai dead.  Zuko's willing to go with what Aang wants, of course, but I'm sure the Earth Kingdom wouldn't be happy about the king of all war criminals being given to his own nation to hold.  Whatever discussions were held over that would probably make the nature of Aang's decision not to kill Ozai (and his continuing decision not to allow Ozai to be handed over to anyone who would kill him) pretty clear.  Wink

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2014 08:54 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if Aang's pacifism is well-known, for one very important reason: Ozai's still alive.

Well then there is the other important, rather obvious thing:

The Air Nomads were known as pacifists and Aang is an Air Nomad. Therefore, it should be common knowledge that Aang is a pacifist.

I'd be shocked if people didn't know that.

Sifu Metalbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jul 02, 2014 02:56 am »

Well then there is the other important, rather obvious thing:

The Air Nomads were known as pacifists and Aang is an Air Nomad. Therefore, it should be common knowledge that Aang is a pacifist.

I'd be shocked if people didn't know that.
Air Nomads are pacifists, but the history books certainly remember Yangchen. Although, I'm sure someone from her time made the mistake of thinking she clung to Air Nomad beliefs and attempted to take advantage of that assumption.

Viper: You're in Triple Threat Triad territory, and we're about to put you in the hospital.
Korra: You're the only ones who are gonna need a hospital, and for your sake, I hope there's one nearby.
Viper: Who do you think you are?
Korra: Why don't you come and find out.
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jul 02, 2014 12:50 pm »

I don't know if pacifism really has a lot to do with it. Pacifism isn't about letting everybody just walk all over you, Aang stood up for what he felt was needed to do by refusing to leave the refinery unless he got some answers about the spiritual disturbances its location may or may not be causing, then the Rough Rhinos decided to physically attack him. Once attacked, even by Air Nomad codes of pacifism, Aang is allowed to do what he feels is necessary to protect himself and those who he feels are in danger. Unless I'm interpreting all those Fire Nation corpses surrounding Monk Gyatso's skeleton wrongly, maybe they just had simultaneous heart attacks.

Also, according to Dark Horse, part 2 of The Rift is out... today...(?)
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/23-344/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-The-Rift-Part-2-TPB
"Publication Date: July 02, 2014"

It's listed as a new release on the Books section of the Dark Horse website.

Anybody been down to their local comic store very recently?
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jul 02, 2014 05:21 pm »

I think they just mess up the date. On the same page it still says it's a 'pre-order'.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 02, 2014 06:35 pm »

It's available in comic book stores earlier than it is in regular bookstores and online stores.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jul 02, 2014 06:39 pm »

Yeah, I know but the release for comic stores was supposed to be July 16th I think with normal stores releasing August 1st.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Jul 02, 2014 06:44 pm »

Yeah, I know but the release for comic stores was supposed to be July 16th I think with normal stores releasing August 1st.

The Avatar Wiki's page on The Rift Part 2 says that the release date to comic stores is July 2nd.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jul 02, 2014 07:58 pm »

Really? I just checked the page a few days ago and it said the 16th. Maybe the decided to release it early to compliment the release of Book 3 LoK.

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Jul 02, 2014 08:59 pm »

The Avatar Wiki's page on The Rift Part 2 says that the release date to comic stores is July 2nd.

It changed because I saw it yesterday and it said that it was going to be released on the 29th.

Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Jul 03, 2014 12:21 pm »

If its out, does anyone know where I can read it. I live in the UK you see, so I cant go to the comic shop to pick one up.

Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Jul 03, 2014 03:30 pm »

I'm hoping Lau will want to reconcile near the comic's ending, only to think that Toph no longer wants to.

"No. You were right the first time. You're not my father."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: