Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A:TLA and LOK Merchandise from Dark Horse & Mall of America  (Read 34407 times)
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2014 08:23 pm »

I'm surprised we haven't seen any statue/figurine images yet. Being able to add AtLA/LoK figurines to my collection would really get me. I collect the odd Disney Infinity figurine here and there, and I don't even play the game. There's been LoK merch on the Nick site of this nature ever since Book 1. Shirts, plushes mugs, mousepads, stuff like that...it's already been out there.
http://shop.nick.com/category/74959214761/1/The-Legend-of-Korra.htm

Of course, Dark Horse has a good track record with managing properties, so whatever they put out might be a bit more interesting, but...lunchboxes? Eh, at least the shot glasses are acknowledging the older fans, I'll give them that. Nick seems dead-set on the idea that Korra is a teen-only series for some reason.

The orange theme of the shot glasses is actually in line with a number of Korra-themed stuff from Book 1. The marketing style of the commercials, official merchandise, and even stuff like a PSN Theme all used that orange/black style to them, at least during the first season. I'm not sure what the thinking was, though.

As for the video games, I've played a couple -- they actually were all right. The Burning Earth on the DS was an isometric action RPG with nifty little sprites (and a surprisingly accurate recreation of the Beifong Estate, amongst other things), and Into the Infero on the Wii had the actual cast from the show doing the voice acting, and used the Wii remote's pointer to manipulate elements to solve puzzles. The DS version of Into the Inferno was a totally different game with a chibi art style instead, and played kind of a combo of the other two (you used the stylus to manipulate elements).

Nothing mind-blowing, but Into the Inferno in particular was very similar to the Lego games with the co-op/multi-character dynamic to it. I specifically enjoyed the writing/voice acting of the Wii version as it took elements from the show and made them work in a video game (Samurai Momo was the 'tutorial' character, Doc/Shu was the guy who ran a shop where you spent your game currency), and it was just kind of neat to play like a remixed, watered down story of Book 3 but with 'new scenes' in a sense. For ex. when you fight Combustion Man, you play as Sokka and Toph, and they spend the whole fight ranting back and forth as to what 'nickname' to give the guy -- the writing and acting felt in-line with the show, so it was cute.

I haven't seen anything beyond flash games for LoK. Nick probably won't fund a full retail game or even a downloadable, smaller scale game with that series because, yes, game publishing/development is extremely expensive these days, and Nick has not been as risky as it once was. In the same way Mass Effect fans want to forget the ending of ME3 happened, so, too, do I wish to forget about 'Harmonic Convergence.' >_>; If we got a LoK video game, I'd rather it just not even try to go over the story and be all gameplay but with the flavor of that world. A pro-bending video game would actually make sense, be something non-Avatar fans could get into (which could lead to them checking out the show), and serve as a non-serious game where you could toss in AtLA characters for kicks -- sort of like the Mario sports games have with Final Fantasy characters, for example.

Anyway, back on topic with Dark House stuff, specifically, if this is all hitting in May at the same time or something, I'm shocked we haven't seen anything yet outside of a lunchbox and some shot glasses. A Book 2 OST and an AtLA OST seem like no-brainers, and I can't help but wonder why the heck that stuff hasn't happened yet, if only in a digital release format. But Nickelodeon doesn't make any sense to me anymore -- and to be fair, Mike and Bryan don't anymore, either. ^_^; But Dark Horse I trust, so fingers crossed that we'll get some nifty stuff spanning both series.

And yes, for the love of all that is good, where are the LADY figurines already?

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
aang_and_luffy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2014 10:02 pm »

Hmm. Still hoping for some LoK and TLA statues/figures :/
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #27 on: Jul 23, 2014 08:48 pm »

Preview of the new merchandise at SDCC 2014.

I don't think that orange vest is official merc though. Must be a random picture of a cosplayer?
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2014 08:52 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2014 08:52 pm »

^ I want that Aang statue.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2014 09:24 pm »

Preview of the new merchandise at SDCC 2014.

I don't think that orange vest is official merc though. Must be a random picture of a cosplayer?

Oh yes please. To all of that (except maybe the lunchbox)! Cheesy

I love the Aang statue and the Kataang family photo. Also, does that say there will be both "standing" and "sitting" Naga plush animals? Seems a bit unnecessary, but welcome! Tongue

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks,
and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #30 on: Jul 23, 2014 09:40 pm »

The Aang statue will be magnificent! If I had the space to display him, that is. =(

The Book 2 art book is out early at SDCC but do we have to wait till Sept for the general audience??

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #31 on: Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm »

Goodness! I really want that merch!

Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Jul 24, 2014 06:10 pm »

I'd totally sew that Fire Nation patch onto a jacket, backpack, or ammo pouch, though I do wish it were crimson red and not orange.

The Aang family portrait is a great conversation piece for those without happy families to hang pictures of. ; _ ;

The Amon t-shirt actually has a really cool design. I'd wear it.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2014 06:13 pm by Funkybender » Logged
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #33 on: Jul 25, 2014 02:55 pm »

Can anyone confirm if the Kataang family portrait is being sold at Comic-Con? It's on display at the Nickelodeon booth too.

EDIT: And it seems it is. I must find a way to get one!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 03:05 pm by Ooze33 » Logged

ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2014 01:03 am »

Can anyone confirm if the Kataang family portrait is being sold at Comic-Con? It's on display at the Nickelodeon booth too.

it was indeed sold, and it sold out. until they sell them online, you will need to resort to ebay Sad i didn't get a ticket to get a print, BUT there were two guys in line that didn't even know what korra was, and they were buying them JUST to sell them on ebay... boo

Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #35 on: Jul 30, 2014 10:07 pm »

it was indeed sold, and it sold out. until they sell them online, you will need to resort to ebay Sad i didn't get a ticket to get a print, BUT there were two guys in line that didn't even know what korra was, and they were buying them JUST to sell them on ebay... boo

Thanks for the information! Scalpers are seriously the worst. Stinks that it was only sold at the convention though. The prints from the last two Comic-Con's were sold on Nick's website too. Undecided

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2014 02:10 am »

^ Yeah. Signed and unsigned posters going up for USD$500 on eBay. I like the shows but eh, I'm sure we can print the picture ourselves at a much lower cost.

Saturius
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2014 04:18 pm »

Anymore info about that Aang statue?  I hope that wasn't just a SDCC thing for decoration. I want that thing mass produced so it can be MINE!  But only through official sources. I don't deal with scalpers and whatnot on Ebay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2014 05:30 pm »

Dark Horse should make it available for 3D printers.

ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Aug 18, 2014 01:36 pm »

Anymore info about that Aang statue?  I hope that wasn't just a SDCC thing for decoration. I want that thing mass produced so it can be MINE!  But only through official sources. I don't deal with scalpers and whatnot on Ebay.
the aang statue was for promotion only. but, a small sign next to it read that it will be available 2015

Saturius
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Aug 19, 2014 06:27 pm »

the aang statue was for promotion only. but, a small sign next to it read that it will be available 2015

Thanks for the info.  It's good to know it's coming at least.  When I looked on The Dark Horse website all the future merchandise showed at the convention had a release date, but the statue was nowhere to be seen.  Here's hoping it's coming in early 2015.  I'm gonna be buying a house early next year so I want it released before I become broke lol.
ENCOM786
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2014 12:26 pm »

They recently made the Family Portrait available on the Nick Shop. I hope you guys are able to pick one up!

http://shop.nick.com/Legend-of-Korra-Family-Portrait-Art/M/B00LFVDOMY.htm

Thanks for the information! Scalpers are seriously the worst. Stinks that it was only sold at the convention though. The prints from the last two Comic-Con's were sold on Nick's website too. Undecided
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #42 on: Aug 25, 2014 01:26 pm »

They recently made the Family Portrait available on the Nick Shop. I hope you guys are able to pick one up!

http://shop.nick.com/Legend-of-Korra-Family-Portrait-Art/M/B00LFVDOMY.htm

You are officially my best friend. Ordered the print and it's on it's way to me!  Grin

THANK YOU for posting this!

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #43 on: Aug 25, 2014 02:00 pm »

Man that is expensive but I really want to get one. Is this a limited time thing?

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #44 on: Aug 25, 2014 06:49 pm »

Unframed?! Wow, now I see how Nick plans to make LoK profitable. Cater to a small fanbase with wildly overpriced merch. Cheesy

Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #45 on: Aug 25, 2014 08:00 pm »

Ugh, it's WAY too expensive for me to buy. It's not even framed. I want it but i can't shell out that much for a picture...  Cry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #46 on: Aug 25, 2014 11:06 pm »

Seriously, why is it 60 dollars? Is there something about it that I don't know.

I mean, yeah, it's a Kataang family photo and Kataang is awesome but...60$? That must be either really high quality or just overpriced. If it's not a limited time offer maybe I can ask for it as a birthday present or something...

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #47 on: Aug 26, 2014 12:06 am »

Seriously, why is it 60 dollars? Is there something about it that I don't know.

I mean, yeah, it's a Kataang family photo and Kataang is awesome but...60$? That must be either really high quality or just overpriced. If it's not a limited time offer maybe I can ask for it as a birthday present or something...

It's limited in quantity (in other words, don't delay purchasing it too long if you intend on getting it) and based on past art prints done in this process they describe (Giclee) the results are quite beautiful and look the same on a wall. I'd say, personally, $60 is easily a good price for the quality of the item.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #48 on: Aug 26, 2014 01:52 am »

Sounds like a big poster to me. Question is whether the material of this would be soft and flimsy. I bought this TV poster on Amazon years ago and even with lamination, the poster still curled and furled at the corners. Meh.

Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #49 on: Aug 26, 2014 03:15 pm »

Sounds like a big poster to me. Question is whether the material of this would be soft and flimsy. I bought this TV poster on Amazon years ago and even with lamination, the poster still curled and furled at the corners. Meh.

If the past prints are any indication, the portrait ships flat in it's matte border so it won't curl unless one intentionally does so.

For example, here's my copy of the Korra Spirit Parade print from last year's SDCC. I received it in the condition you see in the picture (minus the frame, of course):

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: