Dec 07, 2019 05:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comics and the gradual aging of characters.  (Read 6321 times)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2014 07:59 pm »

I agree with you two. From the looks of it, it seems that the three trilogy's happen during the span of probably a month. If not a month, than it's probably a little over it. I was hoping the comics would be about the Gaang growing up into what they became, but it seems like we'll never see it since the comics don't seem to ever go past 101 ASC. Republic City was founded sometime before 120 ASC, but I feel as if we'll never see its founding unless it's in The Rift or something.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2014 08:24 pm »

I still don't get why the comics have to hurry up and grow the characters before our eyes.

I mean, the Mike and the Bryan are in their... what, 40's, 50's? They have at least 40 more years of residual checks coming. Aang can literally grow up in realtime while they keep cashing their bank.

That said, I'd love if The Rift had a year-long time skip in the middle of it, and that's what the title is referring to. It'd be funny to see the fandom's reaction.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2014 01:55 am »

Eh, I'm not a fan of big time skips during stories. Don't really have a specific reason for that but if there has to be a time skip I'd rather it be between trilogies.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2014 03:50 am »

Eh, I'm not a fan of big time skips during stories. Don't really have a specific reason for that but if there has to be a time skip I'd rather it be between trilogies.
Haha, are you the person who only like happy endings, too? Wink (from another thread)
I suspect we just have very different inherent tastes in why we care about stories, haha.

I LOVE time skips in stories -- when they're handled well, of course. The more of an idea I have about the over-arcing life of a fictional person, the more "real" they feel to me. That's part of why I love seeing the Gaang get older, knowing that, canonically, Sokka became a politician, Toph became a cop (and a MOTHER?), Aang wasn't a perfect dad...that stuff is impossible to convey in a short-term story. Granted, it can be very cheap, so it's not like I always like it or anything.

I'd offer examples of my favorite time-skips in stories but I guess that could potentially ruin the surprise of various stories.

I want to write a graphic novel that involves a time skip halfway through (basically a story toward in two acts), but I'd probably make it apparent on the front cover, or something.

Anyway, I don't blame you for not liking them. They can indeed feel weird some times.
I still don't get why the comics have to hurry up and grow the characters before our eyes.

I mean, the Mike and the Bryan are in their... what, 40's, 50's? They have at least 40 more years of residual checks coming. Aang can literally grow up in realtime while they keep cashing their bank.

That said, I'd love if The Rift had a year-long time skip in the middle of it, and that's what the title is referring to. It'd be funny to see the fandom's reaction.

Mike and Bryan have said that after Korra they just want to leave the franchise alone -- at least for a while.

I don't want to see Avatar milked for decades to come. No thank you. I'm all for more and more stories, but with a 70 year gap in the timeline, I'd prefer what stories we get to be utilized well and spread out (which I'm sure won't happen). And after three years of comics and the Gaang will have only grown a year or two, I don't think they're rushing their growth, are they?

Now, this all being said, potential SPOILERS, But...at least part of the Rift I've seen is a page that shows the characters looking noticeably older but not yet adults, in what appears to be the founding of Yu Dao into Republic City (my guess) but it looks more like how The Rift will start and possibly end, since the main focus is this Yangchen/factory stuff, impending Aang vs Toph conflict of idealogies (which they'll of course work out).

If all of what I just posted is true -- at least some of it will be -- I'd prefer a dual-layered story going back and forth in time like The Search did. And it would be right up Gene Yang's alley because dual-stories coming together is sort of his main thing, epitomized by Boxers & Saints literally being presented as two books that intersect.

Again, I just want to see a broad range of time if we're going to keep exploring these characters and this world. But I prefer focused stories over simply showing us fanservice, so it's a balance that I hope The Rift can accomplish. Gene DID say earlier last year that The Rift would jump a bit more in time than the previous two had, if I'm remembering right.

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2014 07:05 am »

Haha, are you the person who only like happy endings, too? Wink (from another thread)
I suspect we just have very different inherent tastes in why we care about stories, haha.

I LOVE time skips in stories -- when they're handled well, of course. The more of an idea I have about the over-arcing life of a fictional person, the more "real" they feel to me. That's part of why I love seeing the Gaang get older, knowing that, canonically, Sokka became a politician, Toph became a cop (and a MOTHER?), Aang wasn't a perfect dad...that stuff is impossible to convey in a short-term story. Granted, it can be very cheap, so it's not like I always like it or anything.

I'd offer examples of my favorite time-skips in stories but I guess that could potentially ruin the surprise of various stories.

I want to write a graphic novel that involves a time skip halfway through (basically a story toward in two acts), but I'd probably make it apparent on the front cover, or something.

Anyway, I don't blame you for not liking them. They can indeed feel weird some times.

Mike and Bryan have said that after Korra they just want to leave the franchise alone -- at least for a while.

I don't want to see Avatar milked for decades to come. No thank you. I'm all for more and more stories, but with a 70 year gap in the timeline, I'd prefer what stories we get to be utilized well and spread out (which I'm sure won't happen). And after three years of comics and the Gaang will have only grown a year or two, I don't think they're rushing their growth, are they?

Now, this all being said, potential SPOILERS, But...at least part of the Rift I've seen is a page that shows the characters looking noticeably older but not yet adults, in what appears to be the founding of Yu Dao into Republic City (my guess) but it looks more like how The Rift will start and possibly end, since the main focus is this Yangchen/factory stuff, impending Aang vs Toph conflict of idealogies (which they'll of course work out).

If all of what I just posted is true -- at least some of it will be -- I'd prefer a dual-layered story going back and forth in time like The Search did. And it would be right up Gene Yang's alley because dual-stories coming together is sort of his main thing, epitomized by Boxers & Saints literally being presented as two books that intersect.

Again, I just want to see a broad range of time if we're going to keep exploring these characters and this world. But I prefer focused stories over simply showing us fanservice, so it's a balance that I hope The Rift can accomplish. Gene DID say earlier last year that The Rift would jump a bit more in time than the previous two had, if I'm remembering right.
My thoughts exactly. When you think about it, the only Gaang appearances during the 70 year gap in terms of year was

101 ASC
and
128 ASC
I'm just wanting to see them grow up because they left a big impact on the world. Even though the comics are foregone conclusions for many of its characters, we still want to see the journey. As a nomad once said "Don't let the destination get in the way of the journey."

Edit: I looked on the wiki again, and apparently they changed Zuko's birth year to the same as Sokka's despite being confirmed 16 during the winter solstice which was before the new year started. They're becoming less and less reliable by the day.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2014 04:46 pm by Clowngoon » Logged

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2014 07:09 pm »

Edit: I looked on the wiki again, and apparently they changed Zuko's birth year to the same as Sokka's despite being confirmed 16 during the winter solstice which was before the new year started. They're becoming less and less reliable by the day.

I keep trying to fix Mai's birth year, too, but it's always reverted. I have no idea what they're thinking and I'm not hardcore enough to want to get into a protracted debate with a bunch of wiki-nerds. That way lies madness.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2014 09:08 pm »

I keep trying to fix Mai's birth year, too, but it's always reverted. I have no idea what they're thinking and I'm not hardcore enough to want to get into a protracted debate with a bunch of wiki-nerds. That way lies madness.
Tell me about it. I used to be very active on the Ben 10 Wiki (I'm an admin myself), and anything they deem unreliable even would be reverted even if it was correct I bet.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: