Dec 06, 2019 08:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukka comic for Free Comic Book Day 2014  (Read 33345 times)
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #75 on: Feb 16, 2014 11:27 am »

While I recognize the complaints of the topics covered here as valid, I have to admit I like what I see so far: nice to have an Avatar story that is just some characters having fun instead of dealing with some major crisis. I particularly like the way that Sokka isn't getting protective because he knows she can more than take care of herself here.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #76 on: Feb 16, 2014 11:41 am »

I remembered one of the earlier posts saying this will talk about the origins of the Kyoshi Warriors.

This is what I'm most looking forward to.
On the face of it, the premise to this comic's story doesn't look too stellar but there are still things in this comic to be excited about. The Kyoshi Warrior back story is something Bryke apparently came up with during ATLA, which means this particular piece of lore has been tucked away somewhere for what? 8-9 years now?
I love that there are things about this universe that we still don't know, even though the stories are all laid out somewhere. Last year we didn't know squat about the first Avatar even though the idea was there and now, 12 months down the line, pretty much everyone loves Wan. It's great that this world is so developed, even if the information is only reaching us via an infuriatingly slow trickle.
I'm also excited to see more Sukka. It always felt the most organic relationship to come out of ATLA for me, so it'll be interesting to see where things have taken them however long after Sozin's Comet this comic is set. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that given the red clothing and seaside themed shop, Sokka and Suki have taken themselves to Ember Island, which the mere idea of is adorable. Plus, on top of their relationship, it could be a good chance to inspect the characters themselves. Suki, as much as I love her, was never really around long enough to be anything like as nuanced as core of Team Avatar and Sokka and his sister seem to be suffering a pretty severe case of stagnation in the comics, so this is a good opportunity for Gene to revitalize Sokka ahead of The Rift Part 2 and flesh out Suki's character a little more.
Now given the size of this issue, it might actually be beneficial that the plot itself is a bit thin. I'm hoping that the idea is to let the story be as simple as can be in order to let these characters breath a little and fit in their Kyoshi history. Wishful thinking.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am »

Now given the size of this issue, it might actually be beneficial that the plot itself is a bit thin. I'm hoping that the idea is to let the story be as simple as can be in order to let these characters breath a little and fit in their Kyoshi history.

The story of the Kyoshi Warriors is probably something like there was a girl  who wanted to be a warrior but nobody took her seriously because she was a girl. Then she ran into Kyoshi who gave her grrrl power and some real warrior training thus the first Kyoshi Warrior was born.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2014 04:00 pm »

I'm hoping for something like Lee Falk's The Phantom. Kyoshi is the Ghost Avatar Who Walks. Or, at least, she was until Roku came along and clarified the issue. Thus the Kyoshi Warriors went public. Grin

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #79 on: Feb 18, 2014 03:41 am »

I love the art style! It's different, and more emotive (? is this the word I want), than the normal. The is so friendly, so points to Faith Erin Hicks. They should have her do more stuff.

While I recognize the complaints of the topics covered here as valid, I have to admit I like what I see so far: nice to have an Avatar story that is just some characters having fun instead of dealing with some major crisis. I particularly like the way that Sokka isn't getting protective because he knows she can more than take care of herself here.

I agree. I'm up for a good fun-loving comic, honestly. I would love a deep and thoughtful one too, don't get me wrong, but as long as the humor's good, I'm pretty much golden.

I am disinterested in Sokka being turned into pointless slapstick though. Let's please avoid that.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #80 on: Feb 18, 2014 02:38 pm »

Now given the size of this issue, it might actually be beneficial that the plot itself is a bit thin. I'm hoping that the idea is to let the story be as simple as can be in order to let these characters breath a little and fit in their Kyoshi history.

The story of the Kyoshi Warriors is probably something like there was a girl  who wanted to be a warrior but nobody took her seriously because she was a girl. Then she ran into Kyoshi who gave her grrrl power and trained her to drink the tears and blood of her enemies, thus the first Kyoshi Warrior was born.

Fixed it for ya, AtoMaki. Cheesy

My biggest sadness is that Suki will educate a random girl and not Kiyi  Sad. A Suki+Sokka+Kiyi story would have been much more awesome!

Yeah, but that's what she's doing during The Rift. While the rest of the Gaang is off solving the mystery of Yanchen's girlfriend, Suki's back in Caldera teaching Kiyi. A Suki, Zuko and Kiyi story is just happening offscreen. Smiley   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #81 on: Feb 18, 2014 07:27 pm »

but as long as the humor's good, I'm pretty much golden.

Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #82 on: Mar 14, 2014 09:36 pm »

The art style doesn't look very attractive. I thought I wasn't gonna mind when I saw the cover but it's just unappealing when you see the real deal. I'm not quite sure this is a feminist Suki comic either. Those guys could just be a bunch of jerks.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #83 on: Mar 15, 2014 09:13 pm »

The story of the Kyoshi Warriors is probably something like there was a girl  who wanted to be a warrior but nobody took her seriously because she was a girl. Then she ran into Kyoshi who gave her grrrl power and trained her to drink the tears and blood of her enemies, thus the first Kyoshi Warrior was born.

Fixed it for ya, AtoMaki. Cheesy

My biggest sadness is that Suki will educate a random girl and not Kiyi  Sad. A Suki+Sokka+Kiyi story would have been much more awesome!

Yeah, but that's what she's doing during The Rift. While the rest of the Gaang is off solving the mystery of Yanchen's girlfriend, Suki's back in Caldera teaching Kiyi. A Suki, Zuko and Kiyi story is just happening offscreen. Smiley   

Who the heck is Kiyi?

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #84 on: Mar 16, 2014 02:05 am »

Kiyi is Zuko's half-sister. Ursa and Ikem's daughter.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #85 on: Mar 17, 2014 04:51 pm »

Kiyi is Zuko's half-sister. Ursa and Ikem's daughter.

Yeah I remembered later that they had a half-sister and that must have been who you guys were talking about xD  Whoops for me!

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2014 11:47 pm »

Got it, read it, it's short and sweet. Suki calls Sokka her boyfriend so that ship is still alive. Smiley

It doesn't take place entirely on the store as seen in the preview, don't worry about that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014 02:06 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2014 01:20 am »

Any indication of what time period it takes place in? Like before The Promise or after the Search or in between?

Doesn't really make a difference but I'm curious.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2014 02:05 am »

There's mention of the Kyoshi Warriors being the Fire Lord's elite guard. So.. During The Promise or The Search?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2014 09:03 am »

The comic is pretty good; it seems Gene Yang is at his best when writing short stories, and can actually respects the characters' personalities in this format. Suki was very much like herself, and Sokka wasn't the helpless unfunny idiot he is too often in the rest of Yang's comics, I especially liked his reaction to Suki getting in 'trouble' and his last line in the comic.

Spoilers time!

I liked Giya, her reaction from being shunned by the (not very subtle) comic book storeowners in disguise felt real, similar to a lot of personal stories I've read about. And the fact that Suki and Sokka keep encouraging her without berating her for her shyness was a nice touch, as it's something I've experienced too many times from people who wanted to encourage me, and which too many writers think is an actually working method that totally won't traumatize the person you're trying to help... Roll Eyes

Giya is shy, and it's not reduced to a mere punchline. She knows she is and how to work around it, but she still needs a little help from time to time. And when her timidity prevents her from accepting it upfront, she knows she has friends to support her.

Her timidity is part of herself, and that's fine if she stays that way... Okay, I might be reading too much into it, but it allows me to post this little gem of animation that explains my point much better that I could with a 600-page essay. Tongue

So yeah, good on Gene Yang for not going down that path and further bastardize characters I like. 

As said before, the Fake Geek Girl plot point was pretty obvious, but it didn't detract too much from the story, which was very much about the origin of the Kyoshi Warriors (and some nice Sokka/Suki banter and interaction. Wink ) If I had known before reading it that this story was going to be told in the comic, I probably would have been afraid Yang would butcher it.

But he didn't. It works within what we knew : that Kyoshi trained women to defend the island against drunk and rowdy traders and travellers, and adds the fact that she originally trained women to defend themselves. Maybe it was only later that they became the island's defenders. Was it Kyoshi' idea? Did a warrior suggested it? Or did the village leaders thought they could use such a force during the Avatar's absences? The comic doesn't say, and that's fine. It gave me more food for thought for when I wonder how this world works and came to be what it is. Which is not something I often get to say about Yang's work.

Spoilers end here!

I'm quite the fan of Faith's style, unlike Gurihiru's she doesn't try to mirror the show's too much, it has its own character that still fits the world of Avatar. While the action scene was super short, it felt a lot more exciting than most of Gurihiru's work, and I hope we can someday see a longer Avatar comic from Faith Erin Hicks... Although that might just be my very biased opinion about her talking. Cheesy Anyway, now that I've seen her draw an Asian setting, I'm even more eager for her upcoming The Nameless City.

So all in all, the best writing in an Avatar comic since Rebound, and the best art since Rufftoon's work. Smiley

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2014 09:27 am »

Ungh... Okay, this comic has left conflicting feelings inside my heart. For one, the chi-blocking and the ending was pretty awesome but the Kyoshi Warriors' origin story gave me cancer Tongue. It almost feels like Suki made it up on the spot to make that girl feel better.

I'm pretty sure that teaching fisherwomen stealth and lethal martial arts is a pretty drastic counter to common jerks  Roll Eyes.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2014 09:44 am »

I'm pretty sure that teaching fisherwomen stealth and lethal martial arts is a pretty drastic counter to common jerks  Roll Eyes.

I doubt Kyoshi taught the women how to kill anyone before they became warriors. She was hardcore, but not that much. Cheesy

And as a law enforcement force, I don't think the Kyoshi Warriors had to rely on lethal techniques that often. Suki demonstrated in her first appearance that common jerks can be taken care of easily with Sokka, who was kind enough to be just that kind of guy at the time and was thus a perfect subject of study to show the novices how it's done. Tongue

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2014 01:13 pm »

I liked it for what it's worth. Amusing Sukka banter, Comic Book Guy parody character, and Giya a cute.

The Fake Geek Girl aesop was handled fine. It wasn't shoved down our throats, but it's inevitable that some will take issue with it. I want to see more of Hicks' work, both ATLA-related and other comics.

Ungh... Okay, this comic has left conflicting feelings inside my heart. For one, the chi-blocking and the ending was pretty awesome but the Kyoshi Warriors' origin story gave me cancer Tongue. It almost feels like Suki made it up on the spot to make that girl feel better.

I think Suki's story is equal parts legend and truth. It was meant to make Giya feel better and more confident in herself, and it had that effect. Perhaps it's a popular tale on Kyoshi Island, and not a story of Suki's own concoction.

I doubt Kyoshi taught the women how to kill anyone before they became warriors. She was hardcore, but not that much. Cheesy

And as a law enforcement force, I don't think the Kyoshi Warriors had to rely on lethal techniques that often. Suki demonstrated in her first appearance that common jerks can be taken care of easily with Sokka, who was kind enough to be just that kind of guy at the time and was thus a perfect subject of study to show the novices how it's done. Tongue

I have an idea that might explain this. Speculation follows, so beware.

Avatar Kyoshi's lifespan coincided with Chin the Conqueror's Wars. It would make sense that the Earth Kingdom would conscript males for the war effort. Kyoshi's village could have sent many of its men to fight the war, making the formation of an all-female team of warriors a practical necessity.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2014 01:27 pm »

I think Suki's story is equal parts legend and truth. It was meant to make Giya feel better and more confident in herself, and it had that effect. Perhaps it's a popular tale on Kyoshi Island, and not a story of Suki's own concoction.

I think it is, because she put herself into the story:

Guess' she is too big of a fangirl to miss the opportunity  Smiley.

Avatar Kyoshi's lifespan coincided with Chin the Conqueror's Wars. It would make sense that the Earth Kingdom would conscript males for the war effort. Kyoshi's village could have sent many of its men to fight the war, making the formation of an all-female team of warriors a practical necessity.

Suki's story took place before Chin as the land that would become Kyoshi Island was still Peninsula X.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2014 01:54 pm »

Suki's story took place before Chin as the land that would become Kyoshi Island was still Peninsula X.
That simply means it happened before Chin attacked the Kyoshi Island. But it could have happened during the war. Don't forget that Chin took over the EK before attacking Kyoshi's home so they probably did send men into the war.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2014 02:48 pm »

That simply means it happened before Chin attacked the Kyoshi Island. But it could have happened during the war. Don't forget that Chin took over the EK before attacking Kyoshi's home so they probably did send men into the war.

I dunno. According to the story, the Kyoshi Warriors were a self-defense class and not a home-defense force and there were plenty of men around Kyoshi's home considering that they were numerous enough to cause problems to the womenfolk. 

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2014 02:59 pm »

I dunno. According to the story, the Kyoshi Warriors were a self-defense class and not a home-defense force and there were plenty of men around Kyoshi's home considering that they were numerous enough to cause problems to the womenfolk. 
You forgot about criminals, travelers, etc. If the women were unprotected by their husbands/fathers/brothers/etc., everything they had was easy to steal. So they would need self-defense because while there were men, they weren't "their" men. They wouldn't need to create an army to protect their area, they would need to learn defense in order to protect themselves and their properties because there was no one to protect them. I could be wrong but this seems very likely and fits into the history.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014 03:01 pm »

You forgot about criminals, travelers, etc. If the women were unprotected by their husbands/fathers/brothers/etc., everything they had was easy to steal. So they would need self-defense because while there were men, they weren't "their" men. They wouldn't need to create an army to protect their area, they would need to learn defense in order to protect themselves and their properties because there was no one to protect them. I could be wrong but this seems very likely and fits into the history.

The implication of the story is that the troublemakers were locals too as Kyoshi knew them and had an eye on their kind.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
akiragrl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Awesome sig by plushu

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2014 03:06 pm »

To add to the conversation at hand, it could have been a case similar to Lee's town in Zuko Alone: the real fishermen went off yo join the EK army, leaving jerks to fill in and end up wreaking havoc in the river towns.

Comic Review: While Sokka still doesn't seem very post-war Sokka to me, he was better than he has been in the graphic novels (The 2 for 30 joke, really?) At first I thought he was oblivious to the fight behind him, but I love that not only was he aware of the fight but he was also very aware that Suki had it handled. Love them! (Although the GN have been making me lean a bit Zuki...)

Would have liked to see a bit more interaction with Giya, but watching Suki be a bamf is always a pleasure.

Overall, a wonderful addition to the comics series. Smiley

Edit: Also, thankfully, I found the Comic Book Guy story to be ironic, as the store where I picked the comic up was super friendly and had rules posted throughout the store reading "Respect everyone" and "No bullying"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014 03:25 pm by akiragrl » Logged

I keep Toph's "Toph, you rule!", Makorralin's "We're in!" "We are?" "Yes!" exchange, Mako's "Hey, I didn't agree to this!", Korra's stroll with Naga, Lin's "I'm watching you" gesture
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2014 04:24 pm »

With most of the men in the army, towns would be more susceptible to gangs of thugs who might want to prey on them.

As for the criminals being local, since Kyoshi Village was situated on a peninsula, it makes sense for the town to have had a harbor back then. And you all know the stereotype of the docks being the place you don't go after dark unless you're a burly sailor.

To add to the conversation at hand, it could have been a case similar to Lee's town in Zuko Alone: the real fishermen went off yo join the EK army, leaving jerks to fill in and end up wreaking havoc in the river towns.

Comic Review: While Sokka still doesn't seem very post-war Sokka to me, he was better than he has been in the graphic novels (The 2 for 30 joke, really?) At first I thought he was oblivious to the fight behind him, but I love that not only was he aware of the fight but he was also very aware that Suki had it handled. Love them! (Although the GN have been making me lean a bit Zuki...)

Would have liked to see a bit more interaction with Giya, but watching Suki be a bamf is always a pleasure.

Overall, a wonderful addition to the comics series. Smiley

Edit: Also, thankfully, I found the Comic Book Guy story to be ironic, as the store where I picked the comic up was super friendly and had rules posted throughout the store reading "Respect everyone" and "No bullying"

Very good point about Lee's town. Corruption in the local town watch or EK auxiliary forces could've been an issue.

I like how this comic portrays their developing relationship. Sokka's developing more trust in Suki and letting her handle things on her own.

It's nice that your comic shop is committed to ensuring a good experience for all customers, but it's sad that people still need to be reminded of those rules.

This all reminds me that I really should find a good local comic store.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: