Dec 13, 2019 03:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukka comic for Free Comic Book Day 2014  (Read 33409 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2014 06:34 pm »

Is this comic really only 8 pages? Maybe its just my ignorance when it comes to comics but how in the world can a story be 8 pages and feel satisfying?

The 8-page Mai comic from last year is the best of all the official Avatar comics.

Oh, I didn't realize that Rebound was only 8 pages. I was under the impression that it was more then that. I take back what I said.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2014 07:49 pm »

Well, the two do seem to go together... Grin

Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2014 10:26 pm »

It may only be 10 pages long but a 2 page preview for this comic has been released.

http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/2-page-preview-for-avatar-free-comic-book-day-issue/
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2014 10:42 pm »

If the font weren't so tiny, I would be able to enjoy it. *squints*

I'm not sure if I like the art. Suki doesn't look like Suki.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

12174006 thathaveflownpastusandleftnothingbutascarinmemoryofitspainful@hotmail.com to+ask+of+days impact
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2014 11:27 pm »

Seashell-san? Great, Gene Yang is turning Avatar into your typical Japanese wannabe webcomic. Morishita was fine, but this is just stupid.

I gave up and asked Sifu.

Maybe if this Noatak guy is real, he is the last Water avatar before Kuruk (and the unmentioned Avatar Sifu likes.)

I bet that unmentioned Avatar was Wan.
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2014 11:28 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time we've seen Suki in civilian wear apart from the later episode of Book 3 when Team Avatar didn't really have much access to non-Fire Nation clothes?

Huge nitpick here, but she's wearing an awful lot of green for someone from Kyoshi Island, whose civilians traditionally wear blue. I'm not saying she has to wear blue, just that if she did it would certainly help me justify remembering that useless bit of info.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2014 11:38 pm by Fat » Logged
ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

12174006 thathaveflownpastusandleftnothingbutascarinmemoryofitspainful@hotmail.com to+ask+of+days impact
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2014 11:45 pm »

My concerns are confirmed. Gene Yang thinks Fire Nation is Japan:

Maybe if this Noatak guy is real, he is the last Water avatar before Kuruk (and the unmentioned Avatar Sifu likes.)

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2014 01:15 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time we've seen Suki in civilian wear apart from the later episode of Book 3 when Team Avatar didn't really have much access to non-Fire Nation clothes?
No, she wore "civilian" clothes in The Serpent's Pass as well.

Seashell-san? Great, Gene Yang is turning Avatar into your typical Japanese wannabe webcomic. Morishita was fine, but this is just stupid.
Yes, I am bothered by the Japanese honorific as well.

Roku is Japanese for "six". There was a real life Japanese poet named Kyoshi as well. They've been using Japanese inspired names in the cartoon series too and I'm fine with that since they do use Chinese names like "Lee" and "Teo". It's an Asian influenced world so Asian sounding names will be common.

But why have an honorific like "-san"? They never used "-chan" and "-kun" at all in the series. This is odd...

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2014 01:46 am »

Yeah, the "san" thing was odd. Really out of place in my opinion. Not really a fan of the art-style either but I already knew I wouldn't be judging from the cover. Still looking forward to seeing what comes of this though.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2014 02:31 am »

The art style kind of reminded me of Kim Possible. Neither Sokka nor Suki look like they should but what were you expecting? It's a free comic. These days, money matters more than satisfaction of a well done job. I feel like the plot will go nowhere since if they spend 2 pages out of 8 just casually hanging around in a shop, I can't imagine them doing something much more worthwhile in the 6 pages.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2014 02:33 am by HikaruIzumi » Logged

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2014 03:34 am »

What the heck is "Rasputin" ?

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2014 05:44 am »

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/atla/212/200.jpg

That was a uniform:

And she wasn't exactly happy to wear them:
Katara: You look so different without your makeup, and the new outfit.
Suki: That crabby lady makes all the security guards wear them.

My biggest problem is that there was one color that was always present in Suki's clothing: gold. This new outfit has zero gold in it Tongue.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2014 06:38 am »

The art style kind of reminded me of Kim Possible. Neither Sokka nor Suki look like they should but what were you expecting? It's a free comic. These days, money matters more than satisfaction of a well done job. I feel like the plot will go nowhere since if they spend 2 pages out of 8 just casually hanging around in a shop, I can't imagine them doing something much more worthwhile in the 6 pages.

It's Faith Erin Hicks' own art style. She expressed how very excited she was to do an Avatar comic on her tumblr. She apparently loves Avatar, so she's not just doing this for nothing. I personally like the art, at least in comparison to junk like this.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2014 06:41 am by ideae » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2014 07:49 am »

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/atla/212/200.jpg

That was a uniform:

Which was why I air quoted the words civilian.

Well, we saw her in green for her Kyoshi outfit. A shade of yellow-green for her Serpant's Pass guard outfit. Red for her prisoner and FN outfit. Finally, in green for the finale shot.

I would say her color is green rather than gold so green does fit her.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2014 07:58 am »

Well, we saw her in green for her Kyoshi outfit. A shade of yellow-green for her Serpent's Pass guard outfit. Red for her prisoner and FN outfit. Finally, in green for the finale shot.

She had some gold in all of these outfits. Even for her prisoner outfit she wore a golden hair-tie.

Also it is worth mentioning that all her outfits were either uniforms (where she probably couldn't choose color) or "fit-ins" with the rest of the cast (like, she wore red/green because everyone wore red/green). actually, I think she doesn't mind what she wears as she was the only one who stuck to her FN clothing in the finale even though everyone was "nation colored".
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2014 08:06 am by AtoMaki » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2014 09:51 am »

Well it looks to me like its going to be Suki vs the avatar world's version of Comic Book Guy.

Worst..Free comic...Ever.

Grin

Did you miss me?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2014 03:21 pm »

Wow, I don't think this story could be a more on the nose reference to "Fake Geek Girls" unless they were actually talking about comic books instead of seashells.

Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2014 04:45 pm »

Wow, I don't think this story could be a more on the nose reference to "Fake Geek Girls" unless they were actually talking about comic books instead of seashells.

Oh, is that what they were alluding to here?
Such sophisticated subtlety went way over my head.  Roll Eyes

But honestly, I think if the comics are still technically aimed at ATLA's original target demographic, then rather blunt allegories will be par for the course. That being said, it isn't a set up that particularly instills me with confidence. I appreciate the constraint that being limited to 10 pages must provide but this feels like a pretty tired premise being given a new lick of paint.
Hopefully they mix it up somehow so that it's notably different from the times similar issues were brought up in 'The Warriors of Kyoshi' and 'The Waterbending Master'. As valid as the issues of sexism and gender inequality are, it comes to a point where you feel a franchise is just treading over old ground without saying anything new.
Anyone can simply say "sexism is wrong", I'm more impressed with this franchise when it takes its female characters and makes them interesting, enjoyable, developed, inspiring and integral to the stories being told.
But hey, these are only 2 of the 10 pages, plus it's free, so how much can you complain?

Roku is Japanese for "six". There was a real life Japanese poet named Kyoshi as well. They've been using Japanese inspired names in the cartoon series too and I'm fine with that since they do use Chinese names like "Lee" and "Teo". It's an Asian influenced world so Asian sounding names will be common.

But why have an honorific like "-san"? They never used "-chan" and "-kun" at all in the series. This is odd...

This I'm less worried about. The show's have been using 'sifu' and 'master' interchangeably for years despite them coming from different languages, using the honorific 'san' is sort of the same for me.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2014 08:20 am by Fat » Logged
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: Feb 09, 2014 11:12 pm »

Jesus...Christ.

not looking forward to this anymore
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2014 01:42 am »

If you don't want to read the comic, then don't and stop commenting that you won't which completely drives this thread off topic.

This thread is discussion for people who will read the comic when FCBD comes around.

ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2014 12:06 am »

This I'm less worried about. The show's have been using 'sifu' and 'master' interchangeably for years despite them coming from different languages, using the honorific 'san' is sort of the same for me.

I know it is a trivial detail that they used '-san', but it still sounded off to me. Those two words are justified because everything in the Avatar world is written in actual Chinese and English is the language of the show.

And I agree that the story is quite… trite. Girl gets mistreated by mean, mean storeowner (or any mean authority figure) and is then taught how to stand up for herself. It is just made up to feed fans with Sukka.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm by ideae » Logged

ChrisTinnef
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: Feb 16, 2014 07:05 am »

Yang really tries to copy all the topics covered in ATLA, doesn't he?   Sad
Another feminist Suki story isn't really what I would call original... rather pushy.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #72 on: Feb 16, 2014 09:22 am »

Well let's not jump to conclusions so quickly. I remembered one of the earlier posts saying this will talk about the origins of the Kyoshi Warriors. I recall people going all meh on the Mai free comic last year where she had a rose in hand on the cover and weren't optimistic about it but the story turned out to be quite a surprise.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #73 on: Feb 16, 2014 09:53 am »

I'm not even sure that they will take this feminist thing so seriously. In the Mai story we were supposed to see some FN politics and then we had the New Ozai Society that was... kinda' awkward for a serious political presentation.

My biggest sadness is that Suki will educate a random girl and not Kiyi  Sad. A Suki+Sokka+Kiyi story would have been much more awesome!

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #74 on: Feb 16, 2014 10:45 am »

As long as Gene don't break 'em up in this comic it's all fine and good.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: