Nov 17, 2019 08:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukka comic for Free Comic Book Day 2014  (Read 33226 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2013 06:39 pm »

Since Suki is teaching the girl about strength, I wonder if we'll see Suki giving her speech about the heart and honor of a Kyoshi Warrior with Sokka dressed up again for a visual aid? Cheesy

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2013 08:27 am »

(Source)

Some cover concept arts.

I personally prefer the 3rd and 4th sketches.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2014 01:35 pm »

Interview with Gene Yang that gives a little bit, not too much of course, about the free comic book day story

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/206?articleID=143815
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2014 03:46 pm »

Interview with Gene Yang that gives a little bit, not too much of course, about the free comic book day story

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/206?articleID=143815

So we will get the foundation story of the Kyoshi Warriors? It's hard to admit but I'm not exactly sure if I like this or not  Sad.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2014 06:38 pm »

I like it, especially since it's another one of those ideas that the Mike and the Bryan came up with during ATLA's production, when they were at the top of their game. (Like Wan and the story in Beginnings.)

But I can see how having fanon invested would make you nervous. Cheesy

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2014 06:44 pm »

But I can see how having fanon invested would make you nervous. Cheesy

Yeah. My biggest fear is that they will play the "And then some girls thought that Kyoshi was cool so they became the Kyoshi Warriors!" card that would be a big waste IMHO  Tongue.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2014 07:06 pm »

I don't think you have to worry about something that mundane, since the Mike and the Bryan wanted to get the idea out there but couldn't fit in the story. Something that quick would have been easy to fit in, and I doubt they would have had a burning need to share it.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:07 am »

Yeah. My biggest fear is that they will play the "And then some girls thought that Kyoshi was cool so they became the Kyoshi Warriors!" card that would be a big waste IMHO  Tongue.
Some girls thought Aang was cool and thus Air Acolytes were born. Tongue

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:24 am »

I don't think you have to worry about something that mundane, since the Mike and the Bryan wanted to get the idea out there but couldn't fit in the story. Something that quick would have been easy to fit in, and I doubt they would have had a burning need to share it.

Well, we are talking about 8 pages and I will feel lucky if we will have, like, 1 page of KW background (like the FN politics in the Mai comic).

Some girls thought Aang was cool and thus Air Acolytes were born. Tongue

Yeah, I'm not very happy with that either  Roll Eyes.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:07 pm »

Ah, but you're both forgetting! The Air Acolytes being a bunch of shallow fangirls is a post-LoK idea. According to this interview, the origin of the Kyoshi Warriors was developed while ATLA was still in development. That means it's probably at least a halfway decent idea. Wink

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:10 pm »

^You mean like some adults thinking Kyoshi was cool so they forced little girls to murder people with fans? With the cosplaying and all, I have trouble imagining a really good reasoning for it.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:13 pm »

I actually was going suggest something like that. I cannot foresee any real alternative, other than: some people thought Kyoshi was cool and sought to imitate her. If you want, you can get real freaky and theorize that dressing up the island's women derives it's origins from some creepy cult activity.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2014 06:21 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:25 pm »

Well, if you want to simplify, then sure, someone obviously thought she was "cool." I'm hoping for something in which Kyoshi served as an inspiration to deal with a compelling conflict.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2014 06:28 pm »

I actually was going suggest something like that. I cannot foresee any real alternative, other than: some people thought Kyoshi was cool and sought to imitate her. If you want, you can get real freaky and theorize that dressing up the island's women derives it's origins from some creepy cult activity.

There are some pretty awesome scenarios, but neither of them could fit into an 8 pages long comic. 

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2014 08:27 pm »

^You mean like some adults thinking Kyoshi was cool so they forced little girls to murder people with fans? With the cosplaying and all, I have trouble imagining a really good reasoning for it.

Teaching cosplaying fangirls how to kill a man was apparently the Avatar's idea. According to the artbook, Kyoshi herself created the Warriors in her image so the island could be protected from nasty characters who kept coming into port. Hopefully they can make it work into 8 pages. 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2014 02:45 am »

Is this comic really only 8 pages? Maybe its just my ignorance when it comes to comics but how in the world can a story be 8 pages and feel satisfying?

Anyway, I'm interesting is seeing the origins of the Kyoshi Warriors. I can't say it was something I was dying to know but I'm not going to complain about learning something new.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2014 03:45 am »

Teaching cosplaying fangirls how to kill a man was apparently the Avatar's idea. According to the artbook, Kyoshi herself created the Warriors in her image so the island could be protected from nasty characters who kept coming into port. Hopefully they can make it work into 8 pages. 
Kyoshi warriors: taking cosplay to a brand new level. Cheesy

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2014 03:10 pm »

Pity the poor soul who tells any of them their Kyoshi costumes aren't accurate. Wink 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2014 03:29 pm »

^Maybe someone did... and then she/he died in a strange accident involving a metal fan in her/his head. Officials gave up on the case due to lack of evidence. Afterwards the officials had a cosplay tea party while trying on their brand new Kyoshi uniforms.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2014 03:42 pm »

Nobody suspects the Avatar fangirls!

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2014 09:43 pm »

Is this comic really only 8 pages? Maybe its just my ignorance when it comes to comics but how in the world can a story be 8 pages and feel satisfying?

The 8-page Mai comic from last year is the best of all the official Avatar comics.

I mean, if Calvin & Hobbes can do something meaningful and satisfying in ten panels, eight whole pages should be more than enough.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2014 10:49 pm »

Hmm what if this comic exists to break up Sukka? What if the cover is trolling us?

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2014 05:47 pm »

Then I will eagerly wait to see good Zuki fanfics finally start popping up. The number inspired by the comics' trolling hasn't been particularly impressive, thus far, despite throwing Mai in a ditch in the first story arc.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2014 06:28 pm »

Then I will eagerly wait to see good Zuki fanfics finally start popping up. The number inspired by the comics' trolling hasn't been particularly impressive, thus far, despite throwing Mai in a ditch in the first story arc.
Though I still think the reason we don't know who Iroh's grandmother is is because they want to keep the drama up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Suki though. Zuki seemed platonic earlier, but as time goes by, that can change.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2014 06:33 pm »

Hah... Don't be sneaky Loopy, you want Maikka fanfics from the Suzuki endgame scenario.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: