Nov 12, 2019 03:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukka comic for Free Comic Book Day 2014  (Read 33201 times)
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2014 04:38 pm »

I dunno. According to the story, the Kyoshi Warriors were a self-defense class and not a home-defense force and there were plenty of men around Kyoshi's home considering that they were numerous enough to cause problems to the womenfolk. 
You forgot about criminals, travelers, etc. If the women were unprotected by their husbands/fathers/brothers/etc., everything they had was easy to steal. So they would need self-defense because while there were men, they weren't "their" men. They wouldn't need to create an army to protect their area, they would need to learn defense in order to protect themselves and their properties because there was no one to protect them. I could be wrong but this seems very likely and fits into the history.

With most of the men in the army, towns would be more susceptible to gangs of thugs who might want to prey on them.

As for the criminals being local, since Kyoshi Village was situated on a peninsula, it makes sense for the town to have had a harbor back then. And you all know the stereotype of the docks being the place you don't go after dark unless you're a burly sailor.

Uhm... But these people are definitely not in the story at all. Kyoshi didn't train those women against pirates, thugs and other scum but against some random poor jerkbender dudes.

For one, I wonder if Peninsula X even participated in the war efforts against Chin. AFAIK, canon says that Chin conquered the EK in no time because the place was in shambles and he could march around undisturbed and unopposed.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2014 05:39 pm »

I like that Suki's a chi-blocker now, I think we all expected the Kyoshi Warriors to make use of Ty Lee's skills but it's nice to see it get some recognition. Sokka letting Suki take the fight without jumping in was clearly there to show the opposite of what he was doing on the Serpent's Pass, that's a decent development. I find the prospect of a Fire Nation school of Kyoshi Warriors very interesting, it gives the possibility of permanent protection there for Zuko (or succeeding Fire Lords) while freeing up Suki to go home or adventure with Team Avatar. It could also maybe be headed by Ty Lee, who's obviously a Fire Nation native, though I'm not sure leadership was ever her strong suit. Also, would they wear green? Or red? Or pink?
I'd never really considered the idea of more than one set of Kyoshi Warriors but this opens up some doors.
That aside, I wasn't really feeling this comic. It's the type of ground that Avatar has covered in the past but I don't think it's ever been quite so heavy-handed or typical. The origins of the Kyoshi Warriors was about as uninspired as it could have been, Avatar Kyoshi decided to train some girls one day and they became the Kyoshi Warriors. Even in this thread, the context of Chin's conquest depleting the town of men or bringing unsavory types to the village being made explicit would have at least given the tale a bit more bite. It's not even a satisfactory explanation as to why the Warriors are exclusively women, jerks are jerks, I'm sure there'd have been a few guys in town who'd have benefited from being in a collective trained by the Avatar. As for Kyoshi herself, I'm not even sure what to make of her, she always seemed like the laissez-faire Avatar but here she's actively involving herself. I'm pretty sure Chin threatening the whole Earth Kingdom and plunging it into war qualified him as a 'jerk' but she was happy to let him do as he pleased until he arrived on her doorstep, I'm not sure exactly where Kyoshi's priorities lie if Chin's conquest wasn't an issue to her but the bullying of a fisherwoman is seemingly of the utmost importance.
I guess what I'm really saying is when is Kyoshi going to be focused on in her own spin-off series?  Grin
BlueberrySpiceHead
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2014 05:54 pm »

^I would pay good money for a Kyoshi spin off comic series. If for no other reason then to give her a more well rounded character than the fandom's violent "bathe in their blood" characterization.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2014 07:59 pm »

I think it is, because she put herself into the story:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h346/woody_sheriff/KyoshiWarriors_zpsf2e8ea5d.jpg
Guess' she is too big of a fangirl to miss the opportunity  Smiley.
Probably one of Suki's great ancestors. Tongue

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2014 09:42 pm »

Why are y'all assuming that Suki's story took place before Kyoshi Island was an island. The exact quote is before it was known as 'Kyoshi Island.' It's possible that this happened between the island being created and a cult to Kyoshi taking over. Perhaps that self-defense class were the people who turned the whole island into a shrine to Kyoshi. Grin

Anyway, it was a cute little tale. The 'fake comic fan' thing was a bit blunt, for the adults who know of the story, but these things are intended for kids age 6-8 anyway, so I guess it works for the age group. And the rest of the story was fine. The origin of the Kyoshi Warriors was simple as expected given the limited space, but I like that it was a project that kept Avatar Kyoshi coming back to her hometown even after she left to do her Avatar thing. It implies that there's more story there, but leaves it to our imagination. It was well-handled.

HaZardous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2014 01:12 am »

I like that Suki's a chi-blocker now, I think we all expected the Kyoshi Warriors to make use of Ty Lee's skills but it's nice to see it get some recognition. Sokka letting Suki take the fight without jumping in was clearly there to show the opposite of what he was doing on the Serpent's Pass, that's a decent development. I find the prospect of a Fire Nation school of Kyoshi Warriors very interesting, it gives the possibility of permanent protection there for Zuko (or succeeding Fire Lords) while freeing up Suki to go home or adventure with Team Avatar. It could also maybe be headed by Ty Lee, who's obviously a Fire Nation native, though I'm not sure leadership was ever her strong suit. Also, would they wear green? Or red? Or pink?
I'd never really considered the idea of more than one set of Kyoshi Warriors but this opens up some doors.
That aside, I wasn't really feeling this comic. It's the type of ground that Avatar has covered in the past but I don't think it's ever been quite so heavy-handed or typical. The origins of the Kyoshi Warriors was about as uninspired as it could have been, Avatar Kyoshi decided to train some girls one day and they became the Kyoshi Warriors. Even in this thread, the context of Chin's conquest depleting the town of men or bringing unsavory types to the village being made explicit would have at least given the tale a bit more bite. It's not even a satisfactory explanation as to why the Warriors are exclusively women, jerks are jerks, I'm sure there'd have been a few guys in town who'd have benefited from being in a collective trained by the Avatar. As for Kyoshi herself, I'm not even sure what to make of her, she always seemed like the laissez-faire Avatar but here she's actively involving herself. I'm pretty sure Chin threatening the whole Earth Kingdom and plunging it into war qualified him as a 'jerk' but she was happy to let him do as he pleased until he arrived on her doorstep, I'm not sure exactly where Kyoshi's priorities lie if Chin's conquest wasn't an issue to her but the bullying of a fisherwoman is seemingly of the utmost importance.
I guess what I'm really saying is when is Kyoshi going to be focused on in her own spin-off series?  Grin

Seems like Kyoshi only actively involves herself if it affects her hometown. If not, she's the neutral kind of Avatar who'll try to stay out of matters until there's no other choice.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2014 04:32 am »

Why are y'all assuming that Suki's story took place before Kyoshi Island was an island. The exact quote is before it was known as 'Kyoshi Island.' It's possible that this happened between the island being created and a cult to Kyoshi taking over. Perhaps that self-defense class were the people who turned the whole island into a shrine to Kyoshi. Grin

Heh, there is actually a small glitch that would support this theory: Kyoshi's self defense class is nowhere to be found on that big painting in Kyoshi's shrine.

But I'm more and more inclined to think that the story of the KW's origins was in fact a window into Suki's head. Like, she probably has/had a jerkbender older brother (the jerkbender guy in the story) and she is kinda' overdoing her leadership duties (all the First Kyoshi Warriors wear Suki's headdress). She was also a weak and clumsy girl and she became Amazon Lady Awesome thankfully to the KW training; because of this, she seriously believes in Charles Atlas Superpowers.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2014 08:24 am »

It's not even a satisfactory explanation as to why the Warriors are exclusively women, jerks are jerks, I'm sure there'd have been a few guys in town who'd have benefited from being in a collective trained by the Avatar. As for Kyoshi herself, I'm not even sure what to make of her, she always seemed like the laissez-faire Avatar but here she's actively involving herself. I'm pretty sure Chin threatening the whole Earth Kingdom and plunging it into war qualified him as a 'jerk' but she was happy to let him do as he pleased until he arrived on her doorstep, I'm not sure exactly where Kyoshi's priorities lie if Chin's conquest wasn't an issue to her but the bullying of a fisherwoman is seemingly of the utmost importance.

I think that "jerks" in this context is used as a G-rated stand in for "people who engage in sex-based harassment" -- most of whom, unfortunately, are men who target women.

There's definitely room for a personal motivation here.  Though, if they went with that, I'd prefer it to be based on something that happened to someone else rather than Kyoshi herself -- a mother or sister or friend, maybe -- to avoid the "being a victim turns women into fighters" cliche.

Maybe she could have a modified version of Amon's fake backstory or something.  Say, she grew up on a farm with her mother and sister, and her family got extorted by "jerks" who took advantage of her lack of father.  One day her mother couldn't afford to pay, the jerks went to hurt her... so Kyoshi went Avatar State for the first time and took them to pieces.  It'd give a good explanation for both her personal interest in throwing down "jerks" and her apparent ruthlessness.  Wink

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2014 01:08 am »

I was confused why you discussing this kinds of topics here.

Now i know D:

The only thing i will say: i've read evangelical books more subtle and less painful to get through.

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: