Dec 07, 2019 02:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukka comic for Free Comic Book Day 2014  (Read 33349 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« on: Dec 12, 2013 07:23 pm »

Edited the thread title a bit. ~ Icy

As originally reported by Noirsam:

http://comicsalliance.com/free-comic-book-day-2014-gold-titles/

(W) Gene Luen Yang, Art Baltazar, Franco, David Lapham
(A) Faith Erin Hicks, Art Baltazar, David Lapham
(CA) Faith Erin Hicks
Three All-Ages Favorites in One! In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Sokka follows Suki as she gives a lesson in manners and encourages a young girl’s strength! Itty Bitty Hellboy has fun toying with nemesis Rasputin, and the Juice Squeezers crew leap into action to defend one of their own against a persistent bully. Hilarity ensues!
32pgs, FC FREE!

My thoughts:
  • Yay, more evidence against Suki being hot for Zuko.
  • Yay, maybe more exploration of Kyoshi Warriors, and maybe a new character who can be reused for interesting stories?
  • Sigh. More Gene? Can't we give someone else a shot? Even for the people who like his stories, having the entire brand dominated by his style isn't really a good thing. More voices always add something, and short FCBD stories are the perfect place to do that.
  • I'm not personally a big fan of the art, but I like that it's a unique style that's more than just trying to ape the cartoon. Seems to have a bit of energy to it, which I always enjoy.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2013 08:31 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Breakfast at Tophs
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

love is watching someone die

« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2013 07:29 pm »

As excited as I am for this I'm a tad distracted that "Itty Bitty Hellboy" exists. 

Sig and Avie by the very lovely Georgie
Proud keeper of Narook\'s seaweed noodlery
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:40 am »

It sounds like the comic takes place either during "The Warriors of Kyoshi" episode...? Or would it be post-ATLA?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2013 05:22 am »

I don't mind the deviation from the traditional art style, it's good to see some experimentation and I'm a proponent on allowing the comic books to develop their own voice, rather than just echo the original series.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2013 05:41 am »

Yay! A story with Suki (and Sokka)!

But what's wrong with the art? It took me a few seconds to recognize Suki  Tongue...

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2013 06:46 am »

^

It's Faith Erin Hicks personal drawing style.

Sig made by Dorky.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2013 06:49 am »

Ah! Thank you. When I googled her, I found something very different  Grin.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:05 pm »

It sounds like the comic takes place either during "The Warriors of Kyoshi" episode...? Or would it be post-ATLA?

Judging by Sokka's outfit, my bet would be it's post-ATLA. Maybe Suki visiting home and Sokka's going with her? 

The artstyle looks fun, better for the comics' artists to develop their own style that helps brings the stories to life whether then copy the show's animation and have it be off.   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Breakfast at Tophs
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:14 pm »

I really like the colors already, but like Loopy said I wouldn't mind a different writer.  Especially after Gene has a poor track record with young pupil characters so far.  Hopefully with only one new character to juggle Suki's protege's personalty is more than her just yelling "Have I told you that I have this one personality trait?" over and over.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:26 pm »

I wonder about the time the story is set too, right now I am going with post-ATLA. They seem to be going chronological(except for flashbacks) in the comics.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:44 pm »

I really like the colors already, but like Loopy said I wouldn't mind a different writer.  Especially after Gene has a poor track record with young pupil characters so far.  Hopefully with only one new character to juggle Suki's protege's personalty is more than her just yelling "Have I told you that I have this one personality trait?" over and over.

Agreed, writing for only one new youngling this time should make a difference. It sounds like the girl will be the Kyoshi Warriors' newest recruit, hopefully learning what means to be a true warrior over the comic's course will give the character a nice bit of development. Could do the same for Suki, if we do go back to the island, we could learn about her backstory, what made her want to become a Warrior of Kyoshi in the first place and learn about her life in the village as she teaches the kid.  
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2013 01:52 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:47 pm »

Agreed, writing for only one new youngling this time should make a difference. It sounds like the girl will be the Kyoshi Warriors' newest recruit, hopefully learning what means to be a true warrior over the comic's course will give the character a nice bit of development. Could do the same for Suki, if we do go back to the island, we could learn about her backstory,  what made her what to become a Warrior of Kyoshi in the first place and learn about her life in the village as she teaches the kid. 

It sounds more like an adventure around the Fire Nation Palace. Maybe the young girl in question is Kiyi?

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2013 01:55 pm »

Agreed, writing for only one new youngling this time should make a difference. It sounds like the girl will be the Kyoshi Warriors' newest recruit, hopefully learning what means to be a true warrior over the comic's course will give the character a nice bit of development. Could do the same for Suki, if we do go back to the island, we could learn about her backstory,  what made her what to become a Warrior of Kyoshi in the first place and learn about her life in the village as she teaches the kid.  

It sounds more like an adventure around the Fire Nation Palace. Maybe the young girl in question is Kiyi?

Hm..."A lesson in manners" does sound more like something they'd be teaching the Fire Lord's little sister then a potential blood thirsty Warrior of Kyoshi. Good idea, hadn't occurred to me.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2013 01:58 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2013 03:38 pm »

I don't mind the deviation from the traditional art style, it's good to see some experimentation and I'm a proponent on allowing the comic books to develop their own voice, rather than just echo the original series.

Part of the reason I enjoy the comics is because their art style is similar to the show and I love that. To me, having the same art style is kinda of an necessity for the comics. I'm really picky on how animation/art looks for animated shows/movies or comics.

Not really a fan of the art style for the cover for this comic. Maybe it will be better then I think though once I read it.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2013 03:47 pm »

I get where you're coming from, but my problem is that when I see a very similar art style, I can't help but see the ways in which it doesn't quite match up. I'd prefer something different but still appropriate to the franchise, like what we're getting with this one-shot. I wouldn't buy any prints for myself of it, but I like how the overall effect is kind of... wood-carving-esque?

Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2013 08:59 pm »

Faith Erin Hicks is one of my favorite current comic artists, and ever since I've learned that she was a fan of Avatar, and that she was acquainted with Mike and Bryan, I've been hoping she'd do a comic for the franchise. Wish. Granted. Smiley I'm excited to see how her art blends with the show's style, beyond the "simple" fanart. I wish she were the writer too though, she can make subtle and endearing characters.

Hopefully she will do more than just a short comic when she's done with The Nameless City.

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2013 12:25 pm »

hey Loopy, what if this comic sows the seeds of the Sukka breakup? Grin Grin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2013 01:53 pm »

And what if Suki really is guarding Kiyi for Zuko? Grin

Sig by Guitarfreak.
UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2013 04:13 pm »

Agreed, writing for only one new youngling this time should make a difference. It sounds like the girl will be the Kyoshi Warriors' newest recruit, hopefully learning what means to be a true warrior over the comic's course will give the character a nice bit of development. Could do the same for Suki, if we do go back to the island, we could learn about her backstory,  what made her what to become a Warrior of Kyoshi in the first place and learn about her life in the village as she teaches the kid. 

Hm..."A lesson in manners" does sound more like something they'd be teaching the Fire Lord's little sister then a potential blood thirsty Warrior of Kyoshi. Good idea, hadn't occurred to me.

firelords little sister?

i really need to read the search dont i?

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2013 12:10 am »

firelords little sister?

i really need to read the search dont i?

Yes. Yes you do.

Probably best to avoid this Kiyi discussion if you don't want to be spoiled.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2013 12:15 am »

hey Loopy, what if this comic sows the seeds of the Sukka breakup? Grin Grin

Then I'll be waiting with baited breath for a Maikka hookup. Wink

djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2013 12:45 am »

FAITH, GIRL YOU ARE LIVING YOUR DREAM Grin

I love Faith's work and she's a huge ATLA fan too.

Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The truth? About what?

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2013 10:05 am »

Faith Erin Hicks! Cheesy I wish she was writing it too. Then all I would need to make all my dreams come true is to have Noelle Stevenson make the next comic.

I don't have a problem with a different art style, as long as it's consistent within its own story.

So who's going to be able to pick this comic up? Will it be anywhere AFTER Free Comic Book day?

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
Breakfast at Tophs
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2013 11:23 am »

Most comic book stores have them, but these are usually put online legally after FCB.  But If you can make it to a comic book store I'd recommend it, it's a lot of fun. 

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2013 06:11 pm »

Will it be anywhere AFTER Free Comic Book day?

Comixology and Dark Horse Online.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: