Sep 17, 2019 07:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Only the Avatar can Master all four elements and restore balance to the world."  (Read 6258 times)
Commander Crunch
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Nov 18, 2013 03:50 am »

I'm starting to notice a common theme for Korra compared AtlA. Going off of Tenzin's line during the opening credits about how only the Avatar can restore balance to the world got me thinking. In comparison to AtlA, so far both of Korra's main antagonists were well intentioned extremists, both trying to restore balance to the world in their own extreme way. Amon tried restoring balance by putting benders and nonbenders on an equal plane by removing bending, and Unalaq tried restoring balance by integrating the spirits with the humans. I'm thinking that this could possibly be a recurring theme for books 3 and 4 as well. Book 3 is supposedly going to be Earth focused with a large role by Lin. It could maybe revolve around Metal, with Korra learning how to bend it and the struggle between the new spiritual age with the technological advancements of the physical world. Asami could then play a larger role in this book with her Future Industries connections and maybe be a source of unintentional conflict for Korra. Meanwhile some new foe is attempting to restore balance in a misguided and destructive way akin to what we've seen in the first two books.
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2013 04:51 am »

I think this has to do with the nature of Raava. By nature, Raava is the light spirit, that brings order and balance. Vaatu by his very nature is darkness and chaos. When he appears, the spirits become ferocious and vicious, with little control of themselves. So that's why I believe the Avatar can be the only one to bring balance, because he and Raava are one. That's why by his very nature, the Avatar brings balance.

Also, that's why all Avatars have been good, because all of them, by their very nature are light.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Commander Crunch
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2013 04:57 am »

Exactly, and so far for both books we have had antagonists that try to usurp the avatar's position as the balance keeper, and having that line in the opening makes me think that future antagonists will also be trying to restore balance in their own misguided and extreme way.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2013 08:50 am »

Could get a bit old, don't you think if that same motivation is used over and over?
catscatscats
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2013 10:00 am »

Could get a bit old, don't you think if that same motivation is used over and over?
Agreed.  I'd like to see a new type of villain. Maybe not pure evil like Vaatu, but something other than a well-intentioned extremist.
Nelson64
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2013 11:43 am »

Agreed.  I'd like to see a new type of villain. Maybe not pure evil like Vaatu, but something other than a well-intentioned extremist.

I didn't feel like Vaatu or even Unalaq were "pure evil". They felt more diverse than say Ozai. He felt like just pure evil. Vaatu just wanted to be free and have his influence on the world just as Raava does. Imagine he's been trapped for tens of thousands of years by Raava. He doesn't see chaos or "darkness" as bad any more than he sees balance and "light" as good. To him theyre equal just different. In Unalaq's case he was trying to achieve a greater good.

So I think something more "pure-evil" would be alright. We haven't had one since Ozai. Then again I feel like the trend in this show is going to be people trying to do the avatars job.
ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

12174006 thathaveflownpastusandleftnothingbutascarinmemoryofitspainful@hotmail.com to+ask+of+days impact
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2013 09:43 pm »

Unalaq's well intentions would be clearer if he were to e.g. try to purify Vaatu and everything would go terribly wrong after that. It would really hammer in the balance theme and that not one side but the balance between the two sides is the ultimate good. But no, they jumped into the 'light is good and dark is bad' theme.

I gave up and asked Sifu.

Maybe if this Noatak guy is real, he is the last Water avatar before Kuruk (and the unmentioned Avatar Sifu likes.)

I bet that unmentioned Avatar was Wan.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2013 09:51 pm »

To be fair, Vaatu and Raava owe more to Near Eastern influences than Oriental. In the former, Vaatu is imbalance and subduing him,  like how the warrior god of creation myths subdues primordial chaos, brings balance about.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2013 09:54 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2013 10:07 pm »

To be fair, Vaatu and Raava owe more to Near Eastern influences than Oriental. In the former, Vaatu is imbalance and subduing him,  like how the warrior god of creation myths subdues primordial chaos, brings balance about.

Using that logic then Vaatu can never win.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm »

Sure he can but if he does there would be no balance.
AmonKorra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm »

To be fair, I don't think there can really be balance between Raava and Vaatu. That was ruined when Wan separated them. Before that moment in time, the two were equals.

"The power of the shinobi...is the power to protect what's important to you."
"Okay, then, tell me. Are you prepared to kill to protect what's important to you?"
ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

12174006 thathaveflownpastusandleftnothingbutascarinmemoryofitspainful@hotmail.com to+ask+of+days impact
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2013 12:44 am »

Unalaq actually used balance as an excuse to join with Vaatu. He would stop at nothing to be one with the one he deserves. What I meant was that Raava's victory over Vaatu felt like they were establishing order and light to be objectively good and chaos objectively bad. Oh, and you know that thing about chaos? It's fair. Chaos is not really imbalance. They are two different approaches. I didn't like how evil Vaatu was painted to be. It would be much better to derive evil from the sense of balance, and Unalaq would be evil with good intentions by trying to purify Vaatu or something and it would backfire terribly. Holding Vaatu inside the Tree of Time, going by the meaning we're given about the tree as the connection between the two worlds, just means that Vaatu is held immobile by the connection itself as opposed to being severed from it. Chaos universalizes the constituent (humans and spirits being on equal ground) and order universalizes the whole (humans' and spirits' abilities being balanced, like Wan being Prometheus). These are all different types of balance. The balance now is a connective balance. But now I am just rambling.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 12:47 am by ideae » Logged

I gave up and asked Sifu.

Maybe if this Noatak guy is real, he is the last Water avatar before Kuruk (and the unmentioned Avatar Sifu likes.)

I bet that unmentioned Avatar was Wan.
AmonKorra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2013 01:18 am »

Unalaq actually used balance as an excuse to join with Vaatu.

I don't think that's the case. Unalaq never seemed the diabolical mastermind type to me, even when it was explicitly clear that he was acting as the main villain of this book. Paraphrasing my ideas from another, unrelated forum, I'm under the impression that Unalaq wanted balance between the human and spirit worlds, but his anger toward the Southern Water Tribe's Spirit Festival enabled Vaatu to establish contact with and manipulate him. Everything was likely orchestrated mostly by Vaatu to get Korra involved (since she's the vessel for Raava and the only one who can release Vaatu from the Tree of Time) including Unalaq acting as a liberator to return control of this world to the spirits (I can make Batman references, too). I think if it weren't for Wan, Raava and Vaatu's relationship would have been more along the lines of 陰陽道 (Onmyōdō, or "Way of Yin and Yang"), though Vaatu's character could have done without the antagonism, I agree.

"The power of the shinobi...is the power to protect what's important to you."
"Okay, then, tell me. Are you prepared to kill to protect what's important to you?"
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2013 10:30 am »

But how? There will now be, by the time it's all said and done, 20,000 years of light while dark has been suppressed/destroyed for those last 20,000 years. If you ask me, that's quite imbalanced to have light have such an advantage over darkness. If they were to be TRULY balanced, then Vaatu would have to have the ability to win from time to time while Raava is destroyed, and it's perhaps been implied that that's actually been the case, but not lately. I also think it has something to do with the existence of humans. While Raava, despite how much she didn't like them at first, seemed to cherish their lives and everything else in their world, Vaatu didn't. Consequently, Raava was more concerned about saving life while Vaatu was more concerned about the nature of spirits. That's how I take it at least.

To be fair, I don't think there can really be balance between Raava and Vaatu. That was ruined when Wan separated them. Before that moment in time, the two were equals.

Essentially.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Space Oddity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm »

But how? There will now be, by the time it's all said and done, 20,000 years of light while dark has been suppressed/destroyed for those last 20,000 years. If you ask me, that's quite imbalanced to have light have such an advantage over darkness. If they were to be TRULY balanced, then Vaatu would have to have the ability to win from time to time while Raava is destroyed, and it's perhaps been implied that that's actually been the case, but not lately.

Actually, 30,000 years--Wan's era was another Raava era.  And allow me to state, that's pretty much how Unalaq viewed the situation.   Which did not turn out well for him.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2013 12:40 pm »

No the person was right, that is 20,000 years adding with Wan's era. Raava had Vaatu under her control for the past 10,000 years and then it was Wan's era for the next 10,000 years.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm »

No the person was right, that is 20,000 years adding with Wan's era. Raava had Vaatu under her control for the past 10,000 years and then it was Wan's era for the next 10,000 years.

I'm pretty sure that you could have an era of light or darkness if you killed the Spirit of Darkness or the Spirit of Light (respectively). So Wan's 10k years and the 10k years before that were eras of "balance" when both light and darkness were up - only that darkness was the underdog (either oppressed or imprisoned). As Wan said before his death: even though Vaatu was imprisoned, there was still a good deal of darkness surrounding the world.

So in my opinion, Korra's Very New Era will be the first era of light.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2013 07:49 pm »

^ I highly doubt there is such a thing as a era of light or darkness. These aren't taken to be literal terms. Korra's choice to open the spirit portals was unprecedented in the world's history and something only Wan himself had done beforehand when he chose to close them.

As people have said, even when Vaatu was locked away there was still fighting and conflict, because it's natural for fighting and conflict to occur among disparate groups. Vaatu doesn't create chaos or conflict, he inflames it with his influence.

If anything, true balance would rightfully be what Korra did in defeating Vaatu. A lot of shows have a dualic aspect to the main conflict, saying that both sides have to exist since they both rely on each other to exist for the sake of balance in the world. The only problem with this is that there is that the dark side (Yin) is always shown to be imbalancing the world with their actions, forcing the light (Yang) side into conflict in order to re-attain balance.

If Raava and Vaatu worked to achieve balance in their own ways, than it justifies the whole Yin and Yang aspect of balance in the world. Right now since all Vaatu has done since we've met him is corrupt, destroy and generally be a bad fellow, true balance would be achieved by Raava and the Avatar making sure he doesn't come back at all.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: