Oct 18, 2019 03:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book 3: Change speculation thread [Links in first post]  (Read 198015 times)
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Nov 06, 2013 08:14 pm »

Only a few episodes left till book two ends, let's start to speculate about book three, which sounds like will be about Earth bending and I can't wait cuz that's my favorite  Cheesy

What do you think will happen? Do you think they'll put in a subplot for Mako / Asami here too? I don't mean love triangle either hopefully  Tongue

I'm hoping, since it's to do with Earth bending that Bolin will be in with Korra's plot.

What do you guy's think?

Book 3 related videos (teasers, trailers, ads, etc.)

Netherlands teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1flhlaDJHU
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014 10:06 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
korracarrot
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013 10:06 pm »

Even though the book titles don't follow the traditional elements anymore, I think the story will still relate to what the book would be called. Like, spirits focuses a lot on the water tribes, and water comes after air! So yeah, I think it's going to be a lot about earthbending too! Especially since we're supposed to get more Lin, and hopefully some Toph backstory Cheesy But right, Bolin will probably upgrade from mover star to a more crucial character. Makes sense for him to get development that's much needed.
Alsooooo, I think Bryke might have gotten the message that most of the fandom doesn't like excessive romance, by the time they started working on book 3. Maybe they toned down the love stuff a bit. Maybeeee. Plus maybe Asami will grow closer with the team, and the new Team Avatar becomes fully functional! Instead of like, those angsty teenagers that hang out at night and only do important stuff together when the plot calls for it (book 1 impression). Though I am extremely excited to see what the main plotline will bein book 3/4! I have no ideas as to what Bryke cooked up!  Grin
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2013 10:22 pm »

It's too early to speculate, especially since we know nothing about Book 3, not even its name.

However, for an "I wish to see..." thing for Book 3, I'm hoping that the central conflict scales down. Both Amon and Tonray/Vaatu have been larger-than-life internationalist threats. I'd like to see a personal enemy. Someone not interested in destroy Republic City or conquering a nation or altering some cosmic balance... just something personal. Like someone out to kill Tenzin.
Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2013 11:50 pm »

All we know really is that it focuses a lot on Lin, which is awesome because that means we'll get her old character back. Smiley

Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2013 11:55 pm »

How do we know it focuses on Lin ?
Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2013 12:13 am »

There was some sort of news revealed by the creators I think. I have to check again. But I definitely remember that it's real.

BriteLite
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lovely Death Glare

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2013 12:25 am »

Book 3: Dirt. Hmm Metal? Nah those titles suck.

Book 3: Kingdom. Yea that has a nice ring to it.

I'd find it pretty cool if they came across the earthbending wrestling arena. Or found out about the Earth Rumble Tournament in general.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2013 12:27 am »

This interview at SDCC.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2013 03:35 am »

I started the book two thread early too thoughXD

I thought they gave us hints that it'd be about Earth Bending the next season, I'll have to go back and re read those interviews.

With Lin being given a bigger role next season Earth bending makes the most sense right? I love Earth bending Smiley

Wonder if we could get more hints of Lin's dad, more information on her relationship with her mom Toph. I'd really like Bolin to learn more about his parents and what happened to his parents, a villain being an Earth bender would be nice. Mentor for Bolin to teach him how to become a better Earth bender.

Only problem, they'd have to make a subplot for Mako since he's the writers favorite :/
Don't know how they could fit in Asami though, hopefully without the love triangle.
Please let that awful love triangle stay dead this season.

I wonder what Korra's plot would be if it's about Earth bending? She already knows Earth bending just fine, unless she gets her powers taken away " Laughs " They wouldn't do that again, right?

Edit;

I also hope they develop Eska / Bolin's relationship, maybe it could be the next Zuko / Mai of this series? She seems the Mai type alreadyXD Only it can be given more, that relationship didn't start till season three right? This started in season two, plenty of time to make Eska more human as time goes on and show more feelings for Bolin, guess will see.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2013 03:40 am by Boilinfangirl » Logged

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2013 07:11 am »

I was saying in the other thread that book 3 could be Metal (and Lin would be her mentor), and 4 Lightning since I do think they have kept the pattern of element-learning, since book 1 of ATLA. Energy bending and Healing should not count, since Korra has already learned them. In the present book she has learned (from Unalaq) a special water bending: Spirit bending. So next would come a special earth bending (Metal Bending), followed by Lightning Bending (book 4).

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2013 07:22 am »

^ Sorry, but that doesn't make a lot of sense, thematically speaking. So far the Book themes have focused on character development rather than them learning the bending arts, the only exception possibly being Book 1. And even then, the focus was on Korra learning the philosophy of airbending (Not equating bending with physical strength or ability, learning to adapt, to be the leaf. Stuff like that.), and in the process other characters, particularly Tenzin and Lin, learnt it as well. Book 1's focus was also on technology and the new world, where it enabled the threat of the Equalists to become real and deadly.

Book 2 is about the past and spirituality, and once again, the spirit-bending isn't a crucial part of what's going on. The crucial part is Korra deepening her spirituality by learning the meaning behind the role of Avatar, and shows the flip side of that with Unalaq effectively forcing the South to become more spiritual through force, using the threat of the Dark Spirits for his own ambition.

I think Book 3 will focus on change, primarily as the rest of the Books have done. But about a change in how the world works rather than how the world looks at spirituality.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2013 07:24 am »

This interview at SDCC.

It's a stretch to say that means Book 3 will "focus" on Lin.

It sounds more like they're saying Lin will be mostly a background character in Book 2, but will return to B1-esq prominence in Book 3.
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2013 07:50 am »

^ Sorry, but that doesn't make a lot of sense, thematically speaking. So far the Book themes have focused on character development rather than them learning the bending arts, the only exception possibly being Book 1. And even then, the focus was on Korra learning the philosophy of airbending (Not equating bending with physical strength or ability, learning to adapt, to be the leaf. Stuff like that.), and in the process other characters, particularly Tenzin and Lin, learnt it as well. Book 1's focus was also on technology and the new world, where it enabled the threat of the Equalists to become real and deadly.

Book 2 is about the past and spirituality, and once again, the spirit-bending isn't a crucial part of what's going on. The crucial part is Korra deepening her spirituality by learning the meaning behind the role of Avatar, and shows the flip side of that with Unalaq effectively forcing the South to become more spiritual through force, using the threat of the Dark Spirits for his own ambition.

I think Book 3 will focus on change, primarily as the rest of the Books have done. But about a change in how the world works rather than how the world looks at spirituality.

Maybe I was not clear in explaining my point. Despite the book name, in all 5 books (one is incomplete, as for now) we have seen there is always more than "learning the bend". The element associated to the book is the background, is what is, metaphorically, behind the story being told, and the main "element" is an emblem of the psychological growth of the Avatar on each particular book.

Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2013 07:52 am »

^ That clears it up. But I'm still not convinced that metalbending or lightningbending will be expanded upon in the next two books. They seem fully explored already. And it is a bit difficult to use them as emblems of psychological growth for Korra since they aren't what you'd call representative of a particular trait.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2013 09:10 am »

^For metal, which is related to this thread, I could exercise a little. Related to the metal bending we could have:

1. filtering, discerning:  ability that Korra needs to develop. You see, in the present book, there was no big deal for Korra in learning Unalaq's technique, it has happened offscreen by the way, and her challenge is not related to this specific bending technique, but is related to the Spirits.
2. alchemy: in the sense of metal purification aiming a kind of transformation

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2013 01:39 pm »

If the Harmonic Convergence results in the Spirits returning to the world permanently Korra's probably going to be spending a lot of season 3 putting out small fires.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2013 03:36 pm »

^ That clears it up. But I'm still not convinced that metalbending or lightningbending will be expanded upon in the next two books. They seem fully explored already. And it is a bit difficult to use them as emblems of psychological growth for Korra since they aren't what you'd call representative of a particular trait.

Yes they are... and, in fact, if my "Korra absorbs Vaatu" theory is true, they're actually kind of perfect!

For the psychology of metalbending, we need to turn to The Promise. Toph's metalbending school was largely filler, but the one interesting thing that came from it was Toph's explanation of what it took for her to access that ability, and why it's so difficult to teach.

To summarize, metalbending is a form of bending that requires the bender to experience and understand pressure and pain.  Toph's discovery was the result not only of her blindness and earth-sight, but also of her experience of being forced into an unnatural mold and turned into something she was not (much like the metal she learned to bend).

Aang, from what we know, never learned metalbending. He just never had the necessary mindset for it -- he was an airbender who was largely free from outside control, even if he was forced to be the Avatar. Korra, on the other hand... well, it's not entirely inaccurate to say that her upbringing essentially forged her into a weapon for the use of others.  Facing the reality of that pressure and pain would certainly make a decent psychological foundation of an arc for Korra.

And, if you throw Vaatu into the mix, you've got a spirit who's always been controlled or imprisoned, never allowed to express his nature. Korra would essentially have to deal with the same issues within herself as she needs to deal with in him to keep the Raava-Vaatu dyad in balance.

Moving on to lightning, that's explained by Iroh in Bitter Work. Lightning is all about emotional balance, because it's essentially a Yin Yang Bomb -- a lightningbender must separate her own positive and negative energies, then allow them to recombine in a burst of electricity. If you're not in balance, like Zuko, it explodes in your face.

The application to Korra's psychology here is pretty obvious -- she's not in balance currently, but by the end of Book 4, she really ought to be. And, if you add Vaatu into the equation, things get even more interesting, because Korra's not just balancing herself anymore, but the World as s whole. (...lightning produced by the separation of the positive energy of Raava and the negative energy of Vaatu would be terrifying, ahahaha.  It'd be like the in-universe equivalent of a nuke)

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2013 04:31 pm »

^Completely agree with Ikkin's line of thought. We could summarize next learning steps this way: reason and emotion, then Korra would be ready for her adulthood stage. Now, we wait for seeing how it will turn out in Bryke's vision...

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2013 04:46 pm »

Moving on to lightning, that's explained by Iroh in Bitter Work. Lightning is all about emotional balance, because it's essentially a Yin Yang Bomb -- a lightningbender must separate her own positive and negative energies, then allow them to recombine in a burst of electricity. If you're not in balance, like Zuko, it explodes in your face.

See, I could somewhat tolerate Lin's special forces in Book 1 knowing how to metal bend. But when I saw Mako working in the factory, and everyone was just lightning bending, I just flipped. It totally throws out the mental state and difficulty of such an ability out the window when you got everyone and their kids doing it 70+ years later. An element that was so difficult to master has become so casual.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2013 04:59 pm »

That's what happens in time, feats that were once extremely difficult become more mainstream. Also the only one we saw attempt to do it and fail was Zuko. Azula was still able to lightning bend even as she became highly unstable. So Iroh may not be completely correct. Also the lightning that has been used hasn't exactly been deadly.
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2013 05:35 pm »

^^same reasoning could go to metalbending and her brigade of metalbenders...

I agree with luvavatar in respect to time - the popularization of those skills is a consequence of time and modernity (more people getting access to information) leading to lots of people trying over and over again to develop them. I can imagine academies teaching metalbending and lightningbending, in the same way we have karate, judo, etc., spread as popular martial arts. That does not mean that everyone will reach the high level of mastery, only a few will get there.

As for Azula being able to lightningbend, I can see her being focused enough for that, but I don't remember her being able to redirect lightning (although Zuko has learned how to do that).

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2013 05:49 pm »

Maybe the next book will be called "Metal" and the next "Lightning". Korra seems to be the type to want to learn metalbending and probably lightning as well.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2013 06:06 pm »

That's what happens in time, feats that were once extremely difficult become more mainstream. Also the only one we saw attempt to do it and fail was Zuko. Azula was still able to lightning bend even as she became highly unstable. So Iroh may not be completely correct. Also the lightning that has been used hasn't exactly been deadly.

Yes, but it makes it a bit odd don't you think that everyone except the Avatar can lightning and metal bend (at least we haven't seen)? Yes she's led an isolated life, but don't you think someone from the Lotus would have been a metal or lightning bender?

I get that time can make everything main stream, but in two generations worth? Did everyone all of a sudden go to Lightning/Metal bending school? Did the teachings spread that fast and that efficiently?

It also sort of throws the "philosophy" behind those special elements out the window. Not just the physical skill, but the mental and emotional capacity required.

But I guess it can be compared to martial arts. You can go to a dojo and become a black belt in some odd years...but you still wouldn't stack up to a grand master who's been doing it his whole life.
austyn12090
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2013 06:36 pm »

On the off chance Vaatu remains an enemy, I expect the next book to be named "dark" and to be followed by "light".

Darkness Unleashed: Contacting Raava
A fic where I convince you that Mako will be the Dark Avatar.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9794152/1/Darkness-Unleashed-Contacting-Raava
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2013 06:40 pm »

^ I could see that happening Actually
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: