Apr 27, 2017 02:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 42 (60%)
9 - 15 (21.4%)
8 - 9 (12.9%)
7 - 2 (2.9%)
6 - 2 (2.9%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 70

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [212] Harmonic Convergence  (Read 14317 times)
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #225 on: Jun 29, 2014 04:09 am »

Okay dokay continuing my catch up on the series. It's Harmonic Convergence Time!

Hmmm...something was fishy with the animation this episode. Everybody's faces looked...weird.

This ep wasn't too bad actually! There was a lot of bland A-to-B scenes that did nothing but serve to move the characters around. But then it got interesting with Bumi. Pleasantly surprised there! The action piece was okay too. And yay! Katara! A setup episode only but not a terrible one.

But Unalaq should never open his mouth. Ever. Be a mute bad guy. That would make you more interesting than anything you could ever say. Seriously, 'Dark Avatar'? That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. If your cause is so righteous why on earth would you name yourself something plainly evil?!

7/10

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #226 on: Jun 29, 2014 09:35 am »

Seriously, 'Dark Avatar'? That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. If your cause is so righteous why on earth would you name yourself something plainly evil?!

...because he wants to be the Avatar of the Spirit of Darkness?  That seems like a pretty good reason to me, regardless of one's cause.  (If one believes that merging with the Spirit of Darkness is righteous, one has no reason to see "dark" as equivalent to evil)

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #227 on: Jun 29, 2014 02:28 pm »

That reminds me of dialogue from the Nova miniseries in the Annihilation crossover, where Nova and Quasar are idly discussing the possibility of Nova going crazy and becoming evil, and they get into some banter about whether he would start calling himself "Dark Nova" or "Black Nova." Cheesy

However, if the Avatar of the Spirit of Darkness is the Dark Avatar, why isn't Avatar Korra the Light Avatar? Grin

Space Oddity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #228 on: Jun 29, 2014 02:35 pm »

That reminds me of dialogue from the Nova miniseries in the Annihilation crossover, where Nova and Quasar are idly discussing the possibility of Nova going crazy and becoming evil, and they get into some banter about whether he would start calling himself "Dark Nova" or "Black Nova." Cheesy

However, if the Avatar of the Spirit of Darkness is the Dark Avatar, why isn't Avatar Korra the Light Avatar? Grin

Because Korra was the only Avatar prior to that.  I mean, technically, yeah, she's the Light Avatar, but there isn't an opposite number, so the distinction is academic...
Zombie_Chinchilla
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

See ya later...crocodile.

« Reply #229 on: Jun 29, 2014 02:44 pm »

Yeah, I thought Unalaq was the weakest part of this season. What a lame villain.

The character in my icon is from the webcomic Paranatural.

A vacation, just the two of us.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #230 on: Jun 29, 2014 02:47 pm »

Yeah, I thought Unalaq was the weakest part of this season. What a lame villain.

I guess its cause Vaatu was really the Villain?  Unilaq in the grand scheme of things was just a pawn... and traditionally in stories pawns don't require a lot of depth?  I dunno... ask me in twenty years maybe I'll come up with something.

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #231 on: Jun 29, 2014 02:58 pm »

Ha, I actually sorta liked Unalaq, at least in certain scenes (I liked his voice. I can't/won't explain it). He just seemed rather underdeveloped.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Zombie_Chinchilla
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

See ya later...crocodile.

« Reply #232 on: Jun 29, 2014 03:00 pm »

I guess its cause Vaatu was really the Villain?  Unilaq in the grand scheme of things was just a pawn... and traditionally in stories pawns don't require a lot of depth?  I dunno... ask me in twenty years maybe I'll come up with something.

I agree, but it's still a lame excuse. He might have been more of a pawn but he was still a villain, and a very underdeveloped one at that.

The character in my icon is from the webcomic Paranatural.

A vacation, just the two of us.
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #233 on: Jun 29, 2014 06:38 pm »

Seriously, 'Dark Avatar'? That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. If your cause is so righteous why on earth would you name yourself something plainly evil?!

...because he wants to be the Avatar of the Spirit of Darkness?  That seems like a pretty good reason to me, regardless of one's cause.  (If one believes that merging with the Spirit of Darkness is righteous, one has no reason to see "dark" as equivalent to evil)
Ah see I forgot that. But I still feel the line is wrong in some way. I liked that Unalaq says stuff about how the Avatar has only divided the world. But then he brings in the line about Dark Avatar and there's no correlation. Forget being the Bridge between 2 Worlds, he needs to bridge between 2 sentences.

Katara_waterbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The water tribe rules!

« Reply #234 on: Jul 09, 2014 01:28 pm »

Hey!  I had a question about Tonraq in this episode.  I know he was injured.  I need to know the specifics because I'm writing a fanfic about what happened when Asami brought him back to Senna for safety and healing.  I'm visually impaired, so that's why I need visual help.  Thanks!

"You're going to get through this. I love you so much." Senna
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #235 on: Jul 09, 2014 02:06 pm »

I guess its cause Vaatu was really the Villain?  Unilaq in the grand scheme of things was just a pawn... and traditionally in stories pawns don't require a lot of depth?  I dunno... ask me in twenty years maybe I'll come up with something.
Unalaq felt more like the Darth Vader to Vaatu's Palpatine, what with the spirit being stuck in a tree and not being able to do much. And Vader is the guy people remember, not the crusty old dude at the end who can throw lighting with his hands.

Also, closer to home, Azula was the best antagonist of ATLA, and she was technically an underling of her father.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014 02:11 pm by Sannom » Logged
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #236 on: Jul 25, 2014 02:36 am »

I just want to say that the entire scene when Harmonic Convergence kicks in, and the portals emit purple energy that cover the entirety of the globe, and give the power boost to Vaatu to escape his prison is one of the most cinematic scenes in animation I have seen! Is technically impressive throughout. The scale of the event is truly epic, to put it bluntly. It's a shame the entire finale went so low after that.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #237 on: Jul 25, 2014 09:59 pm »

Hey!  I had a question about Tonraq in this episode.  I know he was injured.  I need to know the specifics because I'm writing a fanfic about what happened when Asami brought him back to Senna for safety and healing.  I'm visually impaired, so that's why I need visual help.  Thanks!

Tonraq took a leap at his brother but Unalaq slammed a pillar of ice into him at the last second. Tonraq was sent flying through the air and landed on the ground hard.

Tonraq has a black eye, it looks like he has a broken nose and a couple of cuts (about eight) on his face. He probably had brusies all over his body and maybe some broken ribs. I'm not sure if his shoulder (or elbow) is dislocated or if it's broken but his left arm was useless.

If I were you, I wouldn't be afraid of embellishing it a little.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 10:01 pm by BlackPanther1012 » Logged

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #238 on: Oct 22, 2014 08:38 pm »

There is not much to say about this episode other than the action was kind of cool.

Bumi managed to entertain me and I loved the suggestion thst maybe he isn't making up all those stories.

Unalaq continued to be a rather strange villain. I understand that he doesn't believe that dark is the same as evil, but his goals just do not connect with the first half of the season. In fact the disconnect is why I think so many do not find him to be a good villain. Though I understand SpiritWhisper's point about liking his voice. One of the things I liked about Unalaq early on was how subdued and serene he was. It was an interesting contrasy after being exposed to the hammy Zhao, Ozai, and Amon.

Lastly, Desna's cognitive dissonance over his father was another highlight for me.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2014 08:49 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #239 on: Oct 31, 2014 10:18 pm »

Ha, I actually sorta liked Unalaq, at least in certain scenes (I liked his voice. I can't/won't explain it). He just seemed rather underdeveloped.

I love his voice as well. I also liked how quiet and scheming he was initially.

This episode was really incredible. I loved the last few minutes especially, so cinematic and epic.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #240 on: Nov 01, 2014 01:47 pm »

I recently noticed that this episode has a huge amount of good instrumental music. Like, 7-8 minutes straight of it.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #241 on: Dec 14, 2014 02:40 am »

Lastly, Desna's cognitive dissonance over his father was another highlight for me.

Actually that was one of the best subtle character development Desna received. unlike Eska who seems to care more about herself, Desna actually seems to personally believe in his father and looks up to him. He is the one who is always asking the most important questions to him, and most interested in understanding his motivations. His face also expressed mixed feelings, like he truly wanted to believe in Unalaq, but still can't fully and is conflicted as a result. It's a shame that he never got more development, because he seemed the most interesting of the twins, at least to me.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: