Mar 24, 2017 01:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 20 (34.5%)
9 - 21 (36.2%)
8 - 12 (20.7%)
7 - 3 (5.2%)
6 - 1 (1.7%)
5 - 1 (1.7%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [211] Night of a Thousand Stars  (Read 14832 times)
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #225 on: Aug 06, 2014 09:50 am »

Rewatching.

I quite enjoyed the little scene Bolin and Asami had when they left the mover. It was melancholic. Rather touching.

Also Tonraq vs Unalaq. Call me what you want, but I can really enjoy over the top hamminess. It's kinda enjoyable to lipsynch to while watching Grin

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #226 on: Aug 12, 2014 06:41 am »

"Hello, Tonraq! Looking for ME?

"Brother! I'm too strong for you!"

"YOU'RE NO BROTHER OF MINE. YOU BETRAYED ME. YOU HAD ME BANISHED"

"Yes! I did!"

"YOU. ARE NOT. THE TRUE CHIEF."

"YES. I AM. AND YOU WILL BOW TO ME!"

"Now that I've defeated you. YOUR DAUGHTER IS NEXT!"

How did you make this sound like a Mortal Kombat cutscene
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #227 on: Aug 13, 2014 12:01 pm »

Why didn't Lin have better security? Why did Asami just sit there when she has a cattle prod glove in her purse?! WHY DID ASAMI NOT CARE THAT MAKO WAS IN JAIL AND THEN CARE GREATLY WHEN KORRA KISSED HIM? GUYS, YOU ARE CONFUSING MEEEEEEEE.

1. This is a television show - better security generally doesn't exist... unless you're staging a break-in or a break-out and very rarely even then. Besides which all things consider can you expect better security considering the Equalist nonsense from last season?

2. Did Asami have an Equalist glove with her? In public? After the brouhaha of last season, which was the reason why her company is failing this season? I'm honestly asking because it's been a while since I watched this.

3. Asami cared that Mako was in jail, but it's was Mako's idiocy that got him there - and also Asami is a master of learned helplessness... so much more useless than Sakura Haruno. Also the point of being upset about Korra kissing Mako is that now she's the one in the wrong - a parallel to last season. And hilarious for me.

Lest we mention Tonraq's ~amazing~ plan of just screaming and running down a hill in order to take back the SWT? That was great, Tonraq. Good job.

Dude - have you watched this sort of thing before? Like that is the basic plan for basically any Braveheart/For Freedom thing like ever. Besides which it was a clutch. The chances of them retaking the SWT were effectively nil between the big scary demon!spirits, the mech tanks provided by Asami and Verrick, the giant ships filled with one assumes to be lots of NWT soldiers, and the SWT still being fairly small in nature especially in comparison to the NWT. They were desperate dude.

Blurgh, the dialogue. You sucked, dialogue. Who wrote this?

ATLA had lots of this, Anime has lots of this, everyone needs a certain amount of diary in their diet, and it's better if you put it on mute - turn on the subtitles - and then use your best horrible70sdub!voice. Seriously.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #228 on: Aug 13, 2014 02:24 pm »

2. Did Asami have an Equalist glove with her? In public? After the brouhaha of last season, which was the reason why her company is failing this season?
I don't think she did, but the gloves were never associated strongly with the Equalists in the end, they were used exactly once.

Dude - have you watched this sort of thing before? Like that is the basic plan for basically any Braveheart/For Freedom thing like ever.
If memory serves me right, in Braveheart they didn't run down the hill, they waited for the enemy to come to them.
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #229 on: Aug 13, 2014 04:19 pm »

Her particular gloves may have been used exactly once, but the equalists used the power of electricity... like a lot. I mean they snuck in shock gloves via popcorn boxes on the episode with the probending finale. I mean I'm pretty sure folks recall those gloves - via the news and the radio is nothing else. Also it was only like six months ago... and also the reason people were wiffy about Asami's dad's company.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #230 on: Aug 13, 2014 05:26 pm »

Hmm...I don't think Asami really cares. She's one of those people....

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #231 on: Aug 13, 2014 07:30 pm »

What kind of people? I am not sure what you're getting at exactly. That said I have to mention that Asami probably doesn't have enough of a soul to care about other people... She is a secret ginger - that gorgeous hair comes out of a box/bottle, guys.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #232 on: Aug 13, 2014 07:40 pm »

What kind of people? I am not sure what you're getting at exactly. That said I have to mention that Asami probably doesn't have enough of a soul to care about other people... She is a secret ginger - that gorgeous hair comes out of a box/bottle, guys.

No not like that.

She's a compassionate person. But she's one of those people who are patient AND pragmatic enough to completely detach themselves from whatever personal feelings they or someone else may have in order to get the job done.

For example: Asami was deeply concerned about Mako's feelings for Korra (and vice versa) but she was able to compartmentalize it and take care of business first (i.e. saving Korra)

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #233 on: Aug 13, 2014 08:02 pm »

I mean they snuck in shock gloves via popcorn boxes on the episode with the probending finale.
Yeah, and that's the only time they used them. The arena thing probably felt unimportant after Amon launched an all-out invasion of RC.
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #234 on: Aug 13, 2014 10:10 pm »

No not like that.

She's a compassionate person. But she's one of those people who are patient AND pragmatic enough to completely detach themselves from whatever personal feelings they or someone else may have in order to get the job done.

For example: Asami was deeply concerned about Mako's feelings for Korra (and vice versa) but she was able to compartmentalize it and take care of business first (i.e. saving Korra)

...Hmmm - nah. I'm pretty sure Asami is just what you get when you fuse Rule of Cool with a plot device. I love that people are projecting more depth onto her, but it's only a projection. She focused on saving Korra because the Plot said she should.

She runs around with shock gloves (never mind the bad associations with it from just six months ago (that are running her business into the ground)) because it looks Cool. Spiffy car or zepplinn? Plot meet Cool.

Oh... no wonder she looks like Lust from FMA - she's a homunculus created by her "father" following the tragic deaths of his wife and daughter. It all makes sense now.
Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #235 on: Sep 07, 2014 11:31 am »

This is my first time watching anything after the first book because at first I believed the show wasn't living up to its hype. I just have to say that I hope we aren't supposed to like Korra at this point because in my opinion, she's a bit of an idiot. Lets hope she gets better.
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #236 on: Sep 10, 2014 10:54 pm »

^lol There are better ways of saying that.

Or he watches Glee idk.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #237 on: Oct 22, 2014 08:23 pm »

As is usual, Varrick makes everything he is in better.

As for the episode itself: I haved mixed thoughts. Bolin's subplot did not really amount to anything. I was hoping that the show would go through the usual motions and have Bolin learn that he let the fame go through his head and while the writers may have intended that, I did not really see it. Bolin is the same as he always was. Like in the case of Korra, it felt like he simply ceased to be a jerk.

I am not going to waste too much time talking about Raiko, but I feel as if his refusal to lend aid to Korra just goes to show how worthless the Republic City plotline was.

I thought the fight between Unalaq and Tonraq was pretty cool, but it lacked the emotional impact I am sure the writers intended it to have. And yes it was hammy. The fact that Unalaq's voice was nasally the entire time made it all the more so.

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2014 09:39 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #238 on: Oct 23, 2014 04:07 pm »

As is usual, Varrick makes everything he is in better.

As for the episode itself: I haved mixed thoughts. Bolin's subplot did not really amount to anything. I was hoping that the show would go through the usual motions and have Bolin learn that he let the fame go through his head and while the writers may have intended that, I did not really see it. Bolin is the same as he always was. Like in the case of Korra, it felt like he simply ceased to be a jerk.

These sentences contradict each other.

Bolin was a jerk in this season. But jerk is not a word I would use to describe Korra.

I thought the fight between Unalaq and Tonraq was pretty cool, but it lacked the emotional impact I am sure the writers intended it to have. And yes it was hammy. The fact that Unalaq's voice was nasally the entire time made it all the more so.

A little ham never hurt anybody.

The fight between them would've had emotional impact had Bryke spent time fully-characterizing and then developing Unalaq.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #239 on: Oct 23, 2014 06:39 pm »

Bolin was a jerk in this season. But jerk is not a word I would use to describe Korra.

Everyone is a little bit of a jerk.

Except Sparky Sparky Bush Man. He's cool.

ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #240 on: Oct 23, 2014 09:40 pm »

You gotta admit though, that Unalaq vs. Tonraq fight was pretty awesome. My favorite waterbending showdown from either series, hands down.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #241 on: Oct 24, 2014 06:21 pm »

I like how Tonraq first tried to fight from a distance but then realized how outmatched he was at that game and decided to just power through all of Unalaq's attacks so that he could get close and punch him in the face.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 06:24 pm by Sannom » Logged
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #242 on: Oct 31, 2014 10:13 pm »

You gotta admit though, that Unalaq vs. Tonraq fight was pretty awesome. My favorite waterbending showdown from either series, hands down.
It was pretty cool, but I definitely do not think it was anything that amazing. I prefer Pakku vs. Katara, Hama vs. Katara, and Ming Hua vs. Kya.
Haha. My brother just said the same thing a little over a half hour ago when we watched that scene.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #243 on: Nov 28, 2014 08:30 pm »

So from the "Remembrances" clip show I noticed this guy in the middle:

Any chance he has some relation to this fine gentleman?

insertname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #244 on: Jan 02, 2015 05:43 pm »

The big problem I had with this episode was the way everyone decided to accept Raiko's decision. No one even tries to tell him what a supremely idiotic strategy trying to defend RC against Vaatu is. And even if for some reason he really couldn't be convinced, why not go to Iroh again? Surely saving the world from eternal darkness should be enough incentive to defect? This could have been solved way easier but for plot reasons no one thinks of the obvious....
Amon Guy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the Solution

« Reply #245 on: Feb 03, 2015 02:25 pm »

"Hello, Tonraq! Looking for ME?

"Brother! I'm too strong for you!"

"YOU'RE NO BROTHER OF MINE. YOU BETRAYED ME. YOU HAD ME BANISHED"

"Yes! I did!"

"YOU. ARE NOT. THE TRUE CHIEF."

"YES. I AM. AND YOU WILL BOW TO ME!"

"Now that I've defeated you. YOUR DAUGHTER IS NEXT!"

How did you make this sound like a Mortal Kombat cutscene

I'm laughing so hard... :b
Chericola
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #246 on: Nov 03, 2015 08:49 pm »

I actually liked the dialogue between Tonraq and Unalaq. Maybe I just like hammy-ness? Smiley

Whenever I watch or read something I really end up getting really into the characters' heads so things like hammy dialogue and pacing and love triangles and the actions of other characters don't bother me as much. When I was watching the Tonraq/Unalaq fight scene I didn't really focus on how the dialogue was executed.

And I think Unalaq just likes being a Drama King and saying hammy lines. Smiley     
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: