Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 20 (34.5%)
9 - 21 (36.2%)
8 - 12 (20.7%)
7 - 3 (5.2%)
6 - 1 (1.7%)
5 - 1 (1.7%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [211] Night of a Thousand Stars  (Read 15013 times)
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #200 on: Jun 22, 2014 06:27 am »

I disagree, I like this episode a lot.

AAAAAAND THEEEEEEEEEEEEN?

What? What "and then"? You mean after this? I loved the season after the Sting. I thought it was on par with Atla and better than whole Book Water and a few episodes in the rest of the seasons.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2014 06:33 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #201 on: Jun 22, 2014 06:35 am »

Your whole opinion until you edited was, 'no'. Now you've edited!

Dialogue seemed fine to me.

ahem,

"Hello, Tonraq! Looking for ME?

"Brother! I'm too strong for you!"

"YOU'RE NO BROTHER OF MINE. YOU BETRAYED ME. YOU HAD ME BANISHED"

"Yes! I did!"

"YOU. ARE NOT. THE TRUE CHIEF."

"YES. I AM. AND YOU WILL BOW TO ME!"

"Now that I've defeated you. YOUR DAUGHTER IS NEXT!"

BLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #202 on: Jun 22, 2014 06:37 am »

I seriously see NOTHING wrong with that dialogue. And calm down, I'm sorry if I offended you.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #203 on: Jun 22, 2014 06:39 am »

Everyone behave or I will temp lock this thread for all parties to cool off.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #204 on: Jun 22, 2014 06:41 am »

Um? I'm not mad? Not even close? And that dialogue was cheesyMcCheesesauce. With an extra side of ham.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #205 on: Jun 22, 2014 10:49 am »

Actually Djinn is right, in my opinion. What made it worse was that Unalaq's voice was extra-nasally the entire time.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #206 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:03 pm »

It's really Unalaq's dialog which is the most ridiculous in that sequence. He talks like a petulant child who's about to take down his sandbox nemesis.
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #207 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:09 pm »

@djinn: Yeah, the movers were generally really good. Easily the funniest jokes all season, in my opinion.

Just... my soul weeps for whatever "arc" Bolin supposedly had. Also, I love how Varrick conveniently lost because his stooge blabbed. Didn't Varrick send a random dude to do business with the triads six episodes ago to avoid this very thing? Heh.

But, I do think the next episodes are better. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2014 01:20 pm by Stupendous » Logged

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #208 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:16 pm »

Why must my opinion differ so, everytime! I seriously thought this was one of the coolest Unalaq moments. The way the ruthlessly fights and tries to kill his brother and proclaims that he will do the same to his daughter. I just thought it was epic.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #209 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:17 pm »

The fight was cool, very cool;  his nasally voice and the dialogue , however, were not.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2014 01:19 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #210 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:19 pm »

The fight was cool, very cool;  his nasally voice, however, and dialogue was not.

I liked the dialogue too.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #211 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:24 pm »

I had no qualms with the dialogue. Especially considering it's the moustache twirler who wants to try unleash eternal darkness on the world, while beating up his brother, after punching resistance fighters to a pulp. Honestly, the expressive delivery almost emphasised it for me (plus Zuckerman's haunting music. That cello).

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #212 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:25 pm »

I had no qualms with the dialogue. Especially considering it's the moustache twirler who wants to try unleash eternal darkness on the world, while beating up his brother, after punching resistance fighters to a pulp. Honestly, the expressive delivery almost emphasised it for me (plus Zuckerman's haunting music. That cello).

Yeah, this is exactly how I felt too. *high fives Spiritwisperer*

In the end, to each their own, guys  Cheesy
Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #213 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:35 pm »

Maybe it was the emphasis on me in "Hello, Tonraq! Looking for me?" that was probably not required.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #214 on: Jun 22, 2014 01:39 pm »

Unalaq is kinda a manipulative prick. He seems to enjoy theatrical delivery of lines.

Honestly, so do I Cheesy that's why I liked the goblin king in The hobbit.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #215 on: Jun 22, 2014 02:30 pm »

Why must my opinion differ so, everytime! I seriously thought this was one of the coolest Unalaq moments.
Is it hard to do? That's the only confrontation that he fights and wins all by himself without needing his children or Vaatu to bail him out. Not to mention all the embarrassing ways he's lost over the season. He hasn't been a very impressive character overall.

That's maybe the big problem of that book : the two big bads are punks, not scary in the slightest and easily defeated overall. Getting that after how effective Amon was and how terrified Korra was of him, that's a big letdown.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #216 on: Jun 22, 2014 02:34 pm »

I don't think Unalaq was a great character, nor a good villain. I just thought THIS was one of his coolest moments and there aren't many.

And I would hardly call Vaatu a punk.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #217 on: Jun 22, 2014 02:40 pm »

Yeah, that's one of his coolest moments. Is it really all that cool compared to other cool moments? Hey. The rivalry between him and Tonraq is half-assed to the point that I don't understand why we had a fight at all and Tonraq's side of the fight in underwhelming.

Why not? Dude needs help to untangle himself from his "sibling" and once the basics of the Avatar universe are set (so when the Avatar is "born"), he becomes like a fly for the Avatar to swat away and lock in a tree. And after that, he forfeits all his principles and his dismissal of humans just so that he can level the playing field. That's a punk!
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2014 02:42 pm by Sannom » Logged
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #218 on: Jun 22, 2014 02:41 pm »

Why not? Dude needs help to untangle himself from his "sibling" and once the basics of the Avatar universe are set (so when the Avatar is "born"), he becomes like a fly for the Avatar to swat away and lock in a tree. And after that, he forfeits all his principles and his dismissal of humans just so that he can level the playing field. That's a punk!

Okay, whatever you say. I liked him and thought he was very interesting and intimidating and I enjoyed his presence as one of the ancient existences in the world.

Is it really all that cool compared to other cool moments?

I'm not comparing anything to it, but of course to me, there were far more cool moments in Season two. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2014 02:45 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #219 on: Jun 23, 2014 04:09 pm »

I'm just here to throw in my lot with the people who get bored when Avatar characters start spitting out dialogue that doesn't have any actual character in it.

djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #220 on: Jun 23, 2014 06:18 pm »

I'm just here to throw in my lot with the people who get bored when Avatar characters start spitting out dialogue that doesn't have any actual character in it.

HELLO, LOOPY. LOOKING FOR ME?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #221 on: Jun 23, 2014 08:02 pm »

Phoenix Ozai was quite cheesy in ATLA too. I'm not surprised by Unalaq's quattro formaggi cheesiness as well.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Onu-Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tokkarian King and Equalist Emeritis

« Reply #222 on: Jun 23, 2014 08:18 pm »

Phoenix Ozai was quite cheesy in ATLA too. I'm not surprised by Unalaq's quattro formaggi cheesiness as well.
My Icon is proof of that. With some honesty though, I really don't find a lot of dialogue people refer to as cheesy all that bad. In flection sometimes could use work and yes some of it is over used, but I'd likely same something similar in that situation. Aside from that it is better than most real world dialogue in fights which generally results in a lot of sulking. just some thoughts.

Varrick, Amon and Sokka, the only humans among the Titans..
Just hand over your Turtleducks and no Firebender will be harmed.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #223 on: Jun 23, 2014 09:02 pm »

Oh, Ozai was definitely cheesy, but Mark Hamill hammed up so spectacularly, I was able to enjoy it. I also didn't consider Ozai to have any character, so the ham filled a gap. Unalaq was actually supposed to have character, so it didn't really work for me with him.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #224 on: Jun 23, 2014 09:06 pm »

He had a concept (a villain immersed in spirituality) of that there is no doubt, but I am not entirely convinced he had character...or that he was even supposed too, for the matter.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014 09:08 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: