Apr 21, 2019 10:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Second lesson behind Wan's story?  (Read 1674 times)
srebak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Oct 25, 2013 02:57 am »

I know that one could argue that whole point of Korra learning Wan's story was to remember who she was, but i can't help but feel like there was another lesson behind that history lesson.

The way i see it, Wan's situation was pretty similar to Korra's; his brash behavior caused a disaster that ended up involving the people he cared about. On one side, he had his friend Jaya and all the other people he once stood by under the Chou's reign; but one the other side, he has the Aye-Aye spirit and all the other spirits who helped him during troubling times. He really couldn't take a side in this conflict, because he couldn't turn on either side. On one hand, Vaatu most likely has made some spirits attack Jaya and the other humans; but on the other hand, it's not their fault, Vaatu is the enemy not the spirits, so it would be wrong to blame them for that, especially since Wan was the reason this happened to them in the first place.

I think the lesson here for Korra is that she should remain neutral in the Water Tribe conflict and instead should handle the problem by going to the source of it.

If Aang were to have heard this story, i'd imagine that his lesson would be within Wan's comment about changing the world. One person can make a difference, but only if they break the chains of fear and self-doubt first.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2013 11:54 am by srebak » Logged
low548
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2013 11:34 am »

That´s pretty good! I hadn´t realized that....
Blanka
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2013 12:23 pm »

I doubt that is the lesson at all. Unaloq was telling her the neutrality thing in order to keep her out of it.
NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm »

No. The situations are nowhere near the same. The spirits and humans were more than happy to kill each other.

The SWT didn't bother the North.

srebak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2013 02:10 pm »

@Blanka - But the fact remains, he was right, the Avatar cannot truly solve a dispute if he/she is blatantly supporting a side, it kind of sends the wrong message

@NoName999 - Actually the situations are similar: both inadvertently started the conflict because they did not think things through and now they have to fix things before war breaks out, except they both fail to prevent war. Wan had friends on both sides of the conflict and Korra's dealing with a conflict within her own native land

And no, the spirits might not have liked the humans, but their first choice was clearly to avoid them at all costs, not attack them. The only times the spirits actually did attack humans was when it was in self-defense or in defense of their own. The only reason they were fighting Jaya and the others was because they destroyed their forest home. 
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2013 05:40 pm »

I think Korra learned a few things from Wan that could help her character. For starters I think she'd learned that her actions can not only affect the people close to her, but the world as a whole. This is no longer about how the North wronged her, this is about the world being at risk to endure 10,000 years of darkness.

Another lesson I hoped she learned from Wan is the role of the Avatar. The Avatar is about being the light that guides the two worlds into balance and not just a title you throw around as an excuse to do whatever you want.

Long story short, the second lesson I hope she learned from Wan is to stop being an entitled brat and focus on what's important.
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2013 06:08 pm »

@Blanka - But the fact remains, he was right, the Avatar cannot truly solve a dispute if he/she is blatantly supporting a side, it kind of sends the wrong message

I think Aang would disagree with your argument.

However, I agree that Korra should stay 'neutral' in the sense that she doesn't need to go around killing Northeners or beating them up or what not. However, Unaloq is the root of the problem, so he needs to be dealt with. After all, Vaatu (presumably) wouldn't be a threat at all if not for Unaloq tricking Korra into opening the Spirit Portal.
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2013 06:18 pm »

^^ this, the role of the Avatar, as Fire Rose pointed out. That is huge. Korra has never truly understood the deep meaning of being the Avatar, and has used the Avatar State, for example, without a minimum dose of reverence and respect, in the same way that she sort of despised the possibility of being a nonbender.

The background quest for her identity, initiated in book 1, continues here. Actually, her quest is anyone's quest, the same oldies who am I's, what am I's, but in her case, it gets a more... in-depth perspective

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: