Oct 23, 2017 05:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you had the authority: Small lines or scenes you would add  (Read 21753 times)
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 28, 2013 07:41 pm »

We've all probably been there with episodes, where we're thinking "they should've done X", "he should've said Y there" or "I'd like a scene Z". Not in the vein of rewriting large parts of the whole story, but in small additions or changes to the existing material that you'd think would've made a scene, episode or character work better in the existing material. This is a thread for that, for things you personally thought they should've added, or that you feel are missing.

Imagine the episodes were being written and animated, but near the end of their production you -for whatever reason- have the authority to let tiny additions be made. Things as little as an extra line or two to a dialogue, or a small extension to a scene, or a short scene added newly (think 30-60'ish seconds). The kinds of additions that you think were a missed oppertunity not to have added, or that you think would've added a great moment of charactergrowth/development (or would simply have been awesome).

Here is an example of the kind of thing I mean.

Civil wars, part 2. The prison hall: In the scene in the prison hall the Krew encounters Unalaq, who essentially entirely confirms his villainy and a whole slew of hurtful, manipulative, powerhungry actions, and we/I wouldn't have minded seeing him get a whooping for it. He received a beating from a blast of airbending, but got up practically straight away, while the Krew left.

Addition: Personally, I would've wanted to see Korra deliver several more beatings, knocking Unalaq out. (There's a lot of apathy to the rough treatment Korra gave the judge, while it was Unalaq who rather deserves to have Korra's rage vented on him, and yet he comes off incredibly lightly)
As Unalaq is knocked unconscious, Korra -perhaps in the avatar state at this point- approaches his prone form, wielding flames or rocks or what have you, the anger visible and intending to go and finish it. But when she nears, she looks torn and after a moment of introspection, extinguishes the flames/drops the rocks and exits the avatar state, (Mako might throw a "Korra" in here over her shoulder when/after she does this, basically repeating the implication she shouldn't do it (and giving Mako something to do Tongue ), but the important aspect is the decision is clearly shown to come from Korra herself) and the Krew retreats from the scene, continuing the episode as it did.

The notion behind the addition would be a combined moment of reward/payoff that Unalaq gets some of what he deserves, and a moment of showing charactergrowth from Korra that although she is immensely angry at Unalaq for all he's done, she shows selfcontrol and that she couldn't and wouldn't go so far as to murder someone in cold blood. As of now Korra hasn't shown much restraint of violence during the episode and she could practically go to any extremes, except that they hightail it out of there against the one person who should deserve it.

Don't be afraid to comment on eachothers' ideas. I'd just rather keep snarky ideas out. "They should've added a better writer, trololol" Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2013 07:50 pm by Spiritwhisperer » Logged

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2013 09:03 pm »

In "The Rebel Spirit", add Asami giving a kiss on the cheek to Bolin Smiley.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2013 09:21 pm »

In between them boarding the ship that Tonraq was on and breaking him out, I would have thrown in a few scenes of Korra, Mako, and Asami fighting through the halls to the prison deck. I just think it would have flowed better that way then how it is now which is:

Korra to NWT soldier: where's my father?

screen cuts to

Tonraq to Korra: thanks for breaking me out.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Twilight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2013 09:27 pm »

^ That actually made me laugh because it was so abrupt. It was like a comedy cut. It wasn't bad, and I enjoyed the episode, it was just one of those unintentionally(?) funny moments.

and the award for worst username in retrospect goes to...
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2013 10:42 pm »

In "The Rebel Spirit", add Asami giving a kiss on the cheek to Bolin Smiley.

I could see that working.

At least, if bossami was followed up later on in the season, so that it becomes part of a hintee build-up. If that's the last we'd see of potential bossami, it'd be a solo incident.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Ceibita
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

=(^.^)=

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2013 12:03 am »

I think the reason Korra didn't give Unalaq the butt-kicking he deserved is because they had to hurry to go rescue Korra's dad. So she really was thinking logically. For once. XD hehe

アバターが好きだよ!
Borra the Explorer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dead Ships Sailing

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2013 12:31 am »

The first thing that comes to mind is when Mako was talking about his job with Korra in "Rebel Spirit" he says that Lin told him that he could make detective soon if he keeps up the good work. I think he should've added "...though I'm unsure if she was being sarcastic or not." Cheesy

Also in "Civil Wars Part 2," instead of Bolin giving the bribe money to two random guys, he could have tried bribing the judge from the get go and obviously failing. It would show that at least Bolin knows who he should give the money to and come off as if the judge really is honest by refusing the bribe, when really he's already under Unalaq's thumb. Korra could've also stopped the judge's car with earthbending or something instead of nearly driving him off a cliff.

Keeper of Wan's teapot and the Zhu Li (the battleship, not Varrick's wife).

Click here for my tumblr, and here for M'Lil's new hit single!
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2013 05:46 am »

Also in "Civil Wars Part 2," instead of Bolin giving the bribe money to two random guys, he could have tried bribing the judge from the get go and obviously failing. It would show that at least Bolin knows who he should give the money to and come off as if the judge really is honest by refusing the bribe, when really he's already under Unalaq's thumb.

I really like this change actually!
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2013 05:57 am »

Agreed, it would've made it more of a surprise the judge is actually a weasel Smiley

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2013 06:18 am »

Scenes I would add:
- Somewhere around the end of Rebel Spirit, Asami would mention that she will search a few parts of the Southern Pole to find Tarrlock and Noatak - she thinks that catching the two would wash the name of her family clean.
- Later in Southern Lights, when Korra and Unalaq prepares to leave to the Southern Pole they see Asami leaving with some head hunters/mercenaries. Unalaq makes a comment about how the bloodbender siblings fell to darkness because they left their tribe's spiritual ways (and shots a stern gaze towards Tonraq).
- In The Civil Wars P1, during the "rebel meeting", Varrick mentions that he could hire some mercenaries who have extensive experience with fighting benders. Korra would sharply respond with "I don't want to see that ex-Equalist scum around my hometown for nothing!" or something like that.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2013 03:12 pm »

Also in "Civil Wars Part 2," instead of Bolin giving the bribe money to two random guys, he could have tried bribing the judge from the get go and obviously failing. It would show that at least Bolin knows who he should give the money to and come off as if the judge really is honest by refusing the bribe, when really he's already under Unalaq's thumb.

I really like this change actually!

That's honestly what I thought would happen in the episode itself. Only with Bolin hilariously making the bribe attempt over-the-top and insulting.

Borra the Explorer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dead Ships Sailing

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2013 11:27 pm »

Though I loved "Night of a Thousand Stars" for the most part, there were a few changes that could have made all the difference for me:

- When Tonraq says "You betrayed me!" Unalaq could've said something like "I did it because you were never fit to rule!" It would fall in line with Unalaq believing everything he does is for the greater good.

- When President Raiko says, "You have a great officer on your hands," instead of Lin saying "He's one of the best" as if she's always had that opinion, I would've gone with "Yes...I guess I do" with an expression that implies she regrets not listening to him before.

- Instead of lying like a little punk, Mako could've said, "Uhh...maybe we should talk about this later. In private." when Korra asked if their fight was that bad. In fact, you could take out the Masami subplot altogether and it would change NOTHING in the overall story, but that's for another thread.

Keeper of Wan's teapot and the Zhu Li (the battleship, not Varrick's wife).

Click here for my tumblr, and here for M'Lil's new hit single!
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2013 11:35 pm »

I think if Korra had beaten Unalaq up badly, it would have diminished his potency as a villain. After all, he showed later he's a hell of a bender. It would just feel off for him to laterbe able to fight toe-to-toe with Korra.

I think Jinora should have had a line or two discussing just what the heck she did in the finale. Would have made the ending a lot more satisfying, IMO.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2013 11:56 am »

I'd have added a single line in Unalaq's Motive Rant saying that Korra had proven herself unworthy of being the Avatar by trying to close the portals, and he'd have to remove her rather than creating balance through the existence of equal and opposite Avatars. That way, he'd seem more like a Well-Intentioned Extremist corrupted by Vaatu and less like someone whose early claims about Korra learning her true destiny were worthless lies.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2013 08:02 pm »

I would have loved it if Korra said something along the lines of "Naga, would YOU do the honors?" before putting the Judge's head in her mouth, THAT would have been badass.
Sonosublime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2013 09:16 pm »

Some cool extra scenes in here.

I can't remember which episode it was, but I would get rid of all the scenes of Meelo training the flying lemurs and replace them with scenes showing the war in the South Pole.

I also would have liked Unalaq to say something like: "Now, as the new Avatar, I will lead the world to a new age of spiritual enlightenment." Or something like that.

Book 1.5: Reflections
In the aftermath of the Revolution, Republic City is in turmoil. As the Triads, Equalists and the URN battle for control of the city, Korra must accept that she can no longer be the world's Avatar.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2013 01:13 am »

Although I loved Tenzin's realization that he's more then the Avatar's airbending son, personally, I would've had all three Cloudbabies see Aang in the fog. For example, Bumi's talk with his father's statue back in the temple could've fit perfectly here. 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Scott13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Flameyo Hotsman!

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2013 02:50 am »

I think they should have pursued a Bolin and Asami love interest, I think it could have had a development and there were scenes when they could have grown on that topic (like when Bolin and her step out during the mover and Bolin says he missed Mako etc etc I was like they should kiss right here.) This would have taken away from Bolin and Eska's romance but I feel that it could have put a better development into the show.

Also it would have been awesome if they had shown any of Sokka's offspring (if he had any) I mean they were...in the southern water tribe but there is a chance he and Suki lived on Keyoshi Island.

Only the Avatar can master all 4 elements and bring balance to the world!
Scott13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Flameyo Hotsman!

« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2013 02:56 am »

Assuming he got married to Suki..haven't read the comics so I don't know if that is confirmed or not.

Only the Avatar can master all 4 elements and bring balance to the world!
badlander86
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2013 05:25 am »

Jinora holding Wan's Tea Pot in the finale as she descended down from the Spirit Lights.

I really REALLY think this was an animation error or just an oversight. They alluded to the importance of the Tea Pot during Iroh's Tea party in the Spirit World and it would have tied up almost all the confusion there was in the finale.

edited: "Came ascended down"...What was I smoking? Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2013 07:49 am by badlander86 » Logged

Tatakawanakereba, ikinokorenai!
Those who do not fight will not Survive!
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2013 06:35 am »

^That's an excellent idea. Too bad they didn't do it.

The only thing I would add was Bolin rejecting Ginger in front of the cameras for being fake. And Tenzin implying that the Aang he saw in the fog was his imagination/subconscious.

lonniekup
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2013 07:20 am »

Jinora holding Wan's Tea Pot in the finale as she came ascended down from the Spirit Lights.

I really REALLY think this was an animation error or just an oversight. They alluded to the importance of the Tea Pot during Iroh's Tea party in the Spirit World and it would have tied up almost all the confusion there was in the finale.

That would have been perfect!

"Haven't you heard the legends? I'm not a regular humas anymore" <3
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2013 07:29 am »

I loved the tea pot in Beginnings so it would have been a nice reference. It also would have added a nice down-to-earth touch to a climax that was...not that.
badlander86
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2013 07:58 am »

I loved the tea pot in Beginnings so it would have been a nice reference. It also would have added a nice down-to-earth touch to a climax that was...not that.

Again, I think it was an oversight...more than likely due to some miscommunication between Michael and Tim or the writing staff and the Animators. Well...I certainly hope it was.

By they way this wasn't my idea. I remember reading it off some angry rant on Twitter or in Angry Spirits...either or.

Tatakawanakereba, ikinokorenai!
Those who do not fight will not Survive!
ideae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

nnf

12174006 thathaveflownpastusandleftnothingbutascarinmemoryofitspainful@hotmail.com to+ask+of+days impact
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2013 03:03 am »

Unalaq justifying his case for unification with Vaatu a bit further and general justifications for the central 'controversies' of the finale.

I gave up and asked Sifu.

Maybe if this Noatak guy is real, he is the last Water avatar before Kuruk (and the unmentioned Avatar Sifu likes.)

I bet that unmentioned Avatar was Wan.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: