Dec 08, 2019 11:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Search, Part 3 - Spoilers  (Read 77526 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2013 10:16 pm »

Well, I think anyone who gives glowing reviews of these comics needs to read more. Tongue
My brother has a Bachelor of Mass Communications for journalism, reads widely and he's currently an editor. He liked reading The Promise. Someone in somewhat the same line as Gene actually likes his work. =D

Gene Yang isn't a journalist, so it's not the same line of work, actually. And I'd be surprised if your brother sat down to write a professional review of The Promise and couldn't find any flaws worth mentioning. I love James Roberts' Transformers comics so much that I hold him up as the pinnacle of serialized storytelling, but I could certainly discuss some of his few storytelling failures.

Keep in mind, everyone, that I'm not saying the comics are unlikable. I'm saying that reviews are suspicious when they consist of nothing more than synonyms for "good."

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2013 02:22 am »

Well... The Mother of Faces grants one wish per season right? And we did see Ikem run off into the Valley of Forgetfullness did we not? We don't know what he did after he got there.

That being said, is it not possible (perhaps even probable) that he went there in search of the Mother of Faces, and when he found her wished to see Ursa for a single night?

BOOM. Azula conceived.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013 02:25 am by chicken_sokka » Logged

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2013 02:43 am »

Its as good as anything I can think of. I wonder if there is any connection to the Spirit Wolf. I could have read the scene wrong but it reacts badly to Azula being encased in ice by Katara (in part 1) and attacks the Gaang. It only stops attacking the Gaang when Zuko free's Azula, it does not look frightened by her lightening. Although the Gaang assume it attacked because of Azula frying the river, I'm not so sure. Could there be a link?
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013 04:27 am by Gundleer » Logged

Did you miss me?
Random_Stranger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2013 05:08 am »

I've recently had some food for thought.

If Azula doesn't feel complete without the throne. Then she will never be complete with it.

I derived this from a quote in the movie Cool Runnings.

Irv: Derice, a gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without one, you'll never be enough *with* one.

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2013 05:16 am »

I think your right. Here's another quote that may be appropriate.

Thor: You think yourself above them?
Loki: Well, yes.
Thor: Then you miss the truth of ruling, brother. A throne would suit you ill.

She thinks she wants it, but as Sozin's Comet showed the paranoia would eat her up inside and leave her miserable. What she really needs but wont admit is love and acceptance. She seems to be goal orientated, she thrives when she's striving, sitting on a throne would be the death of her. As you say she has to make peace with herself.

Zuko is better suited as he's doesn't need the throne but he also has a huge sense of responsibility. He may not want the job but he will do the best job he can, as fairly as he can.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013 05:36 am by Gundleer » Logged

Did you miss me?
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2013 05:39 am »

I think your right. Here's another quote that may be appropriate.

Thor: You think yourself above them?
Loki: Well, yes.
Thor: Then you miss the truth of ruling, brother. A throne would suit you ill.

She thinks she wants it, but as Sozin's Comet showed the paranoia would eat her up inside and leave her miserable. What she really needs but wont admit is love and acceptance. She seems to be goal orientated, she thrives when she's striving, sitting on a throne would be the death of her. As you say she has to make peace with herself.

Zuko is better suited as he's doesn't need the throne but he also has a huge sense of responsibility. He may not want the job but he will do the best job he can, as fairly as he can.

Really makes for a relatable situation (sort of). Is there anything more frustrating than when the universe seems to be telling you that not only no matter how hard you work for what you think you want, you just can't have it, but that it has seemingly already decided what you are going to have later on without your approval (i.e. the "destiny" talk from Ursa Spirit/Hallucination)?

Check out my new fanfiction, Before Asunder: Project Void, at fanfiction.net

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10514172/1/Before-Asunder-Project-Void
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Sep 16, 2013 05:46 am »

Really makes for a relatable situation (sort of). Is there anything more frustrating than when the universe seems to be telling you that not only no matter how hard you work for what you think you want, you just can't have it, but that it has seemingly already decided what you are going to have later on without your approval (i.e. the "destiny" talk from Ursa Spirit/Hallucination)?

That's sadly what both of them have to get there heads around. Zuko doesn't want the throne but is going to be stuck with it, Azula vice versa.

I sort of see Azula being all about the journey and not the destination. I could see her being like Alexander the Great, who wept for there were no more worlds to conquer.

Did you miss me?
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:03 am »

That's sadly what both of them have to get there heads around. Zuko doesn't want the throne but is going to be stuck with it, Azula vice versa.

Definitely. Problem with Azula is, as you said, she is goal-oriented. Either she finds something else (apart from becoming Fire Lord) to work towards, or she'll just become lethargic and depressed. Of course, as one of the world's most powerful firebenders and a tactical/strategic prodigy, she really should have no problem picking from all manner of different goals that would probably leave her fulfilled. The irony is never lost on me that for as badly as she seems to still want the throne, when she got it during Sozin's Comet it was basically meaningless. Ozai just tossed it at her feet like some pathetic compensation prize. Apart from the paranoia, it didn't make her happy because she didn't have to "strive" for it.

Hypothetically, what goal do you all think she should "strive" for, if she psychologically needs to strive for something tangible?

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:23 am »

Hypothetically, what goal do you all think she should "strive" for, if she psychologically needs to strive for something tangible?

Very good question. It almost needs to be something thats just out of her reach or pretty much be a life times work. As I said once she's gotten to her destination I think she would loose interest very quickly.  

What about Zuko's Grand secretariat , helping to reform the Firenation. She would have a hand in remaking a nation, making it the strongest nation, economically and socially. The only downside to this is would she be allowed to take this position, she is marked by being Ozai's right hand and although Zuko may back her I could see resentment from other nations.

Or a General in the United Republic Army, organising and forming this new force. But again would she be happy once everything is in place. Manning defences and patrolling the borders would be pretty boring for someone like Azula. Even taking on rebels and pirates would be OK in the short term but I could see her being too efficient and getting rid of them fairly quickly. Plus we have the problem with her past and the other nations.

I could see her as dedicating her life to perfecting her Firebending and teaching the next generation. I can see an eventual visit to the sun warriors, and look what that did for Zuko. I could see Azula's bending improving even further. Also they say that the goal of a teacher is train a student better than yourself. In Azula's case that is a pretty tall order.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013 06:25 am by Gundleer » Logged

Did you miss me?
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:33 am »

I have to write this down again:
I think the Snow White reference is that Ozai is the story's Mirror: throwing sh*t right into the fan 24/7 and getting away with it.

I can't see why Ursa found comfort in the eyes of Ozai's son instead of in the whatever-body-part of Ikem's daughter. Yeah, that sounds pretty illogical for me  Tongue.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:35 am »

I have to write this down again:
I think the Snow White reference is that Ozai is the story's Mirror: throwing sh*t right into the fan 24/7 and getting away with it.

I can't see why Ursa found comfort in the eyes of Ozai's son instead of in the whatever-body-part of Ikem's daughter. Yeah, that sounds pretty illogical for me  Tongue.

No more illogical than some of the other stuff in the books!!  Wink

Did you miss me?
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:41 am »

Very good question. It almost needs to be something thats just out of her reach or pretty much be a life times work. As I said once she's gotten to her destination I think she would loose interest very quickly.  

What about Zuko's Grand secretariat , helping to reform the Firenation. She would have a hand in remaking a nation, making it the strongest nation, economically and socially. The only downside to this is would she be allowed to take this position, she is marked by being Ozai's right hand and although Zuko may back her I could see resentment from other nations.

Or a General in the United Republic Army, organising and forming this new force. But again would she be happy once everything is in place. Manning defences and patrolling the borders would be pretty boring for someone like Azula. Even taking on rebels and pirates would be OK in the short term but I could see her being too efficient and getting rid of them fairly quickly. Plus we have the problem with her past and the other nations.

I could see her as dedicating her life to perfecting her Firebending and teaching the next generation. I can see an eventual visit to the sun warriors, and look what that did for Zuko. I could see Azula's bending improving even further. Also they say that the goal of a teacher is train a student better than yourself. In Azula's case that is a pretty tall order.

1. Not too sure about that. I'm not entirely sure Azula knows much about economics or industry (the "technical" aspects of statesmanship), or would be at all interested in learning about them. As for diplomacy, she doesn't strike me as being much of a "Zhou Enlai" type, so to speak. I can't see her just shaking hands or organizing a state dinner for, say, the Earth King. Besides, she would chafe at having to take orders from Zuko; even if, over time, she did come to accept her new direction in life, the feelings of resentment would linger for a LOOONG time. However, Gene Yang has decided that her "destiny" is to take place back at the Fire Nation Palace, so you could be on to something.

2. Maybe. Again, she would be in the position of having to take orders from people she considers as having ruined her life. And, as we saw with Vegeta in the Majin Buu saga, such resentment is hard to let go of even if you've chilled out and found a different path. Not saying that she can't, but that it would take a while for her to emotionally mature enough. This would be an interesting way to go, though.

3. Whichever of the other two she would go with, if either one is what we end up seeing, this could serve as a "constant" lifetime goal to turn to whenever she feels bored or unfulfilled with the other one.

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:46 am »

Of the three suggestions I think the third is the most realistic. In a way she needs to get away from power. I've never really taught but I'm told it can be very mentally rewarding. Something she really needs.

Did you miss me?
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Sep 16, 2013 07:04 am »

I could definitely see that happening. It'd take a while for her to break herself of her desire for power, though. Whatever she does, it ought to be away from her messed up family, but that may not be the case.

zoro07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Sep 16, 2013 06:53 pm »

I could definitely see that happening. It'd take a while for her to break herself of her desire for power, though. Whatever she does, it ought to be away from her messed up family, but that may not be the case.

I'd actually disagree with this, if anything what messed her up is the fact that she doesn't have anybody in her life that she wholeheartedly trusts. There used to at least be Ozai, but after he ditched her and decided to go be the Phoenix King, she really had no one and eventually went insane from paranoia. Being alone somewhere is probably the last thing she needs.

As far as finding someone to trust, the only real candidates at the moment are Zuko and Aang - I don't really see anybody else that's willing to reach out to her at the moment. Maybe in the future she could reconcile with Mai and Ty Lee, but right now those are the only two people willing to go out of their way to help her.

Ursa is gone (and probably won't becoming back), Mai wouldn't want to be bothered with her right now, Ty Lee is still afraid of her, Ozai will probably be in jail for the rest of his life (and is a douche), and Katara/Sokka don't trust her one iota. As far as Aang, let's remember what was said in the first review:

For some volume 3 specific notes on his writing, I do want to draw attention to the fact that Aang hasn’t been the kindest or strongest protagonist in volumes 1 and 2 of The Search, but Yang brings him back to true Avatar form as a strong and kind leader for volume 3. I personally was a little worried when Aang had asked Zuko to burn Azula’s letter in volume 2, even if it was within character, but it’s nice to see Aang back and proving why he is the Avatar (the “Great Bridge Guy” as Sokka puts it).

So if her destiny isn't in the Fire Nation, perhaps, in the interest of finding her "destiny", she'll travel around with Aang and help him. I could see that happening - and it would leave open the possibility of future comics.
proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #40 on: Sep 16, 2013 08:23 pm »

I would like to see Azula in some kind of wacky romance.  The guy would have to be pretty unique though.

I've always liked the thought of her with Kuei for his huge man-child disposition.
Plus, can you imagine their after hours routine?
"Azula Dearest, would you put on the Kyoshi costume for me again?"
Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #41 on: Sep 16, 2013 09:41 pm »

Definitely. Problem with Azula is, as you said, she is goal-oriented. Either she finds something else (apart from becoming Fire Lord) to work towards, or she'll just become lethargic and depressed. Of course, as one of the world's most powerful firebenders and a tactical/strategic prodigy, she really should have no problem picking from all manner of different goals that would probably leave her fulfilled. The irony is never lost on me that for as badly as she seems to still want the throne, when she got it during Sozin's Comet it was basically meaningless. Ozai just tossed it at her feet like some pathetic compensation prize. Apart from the paranoia, it didn't make her happy because she didn't have to "strive" for it.

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but in a way, Ozai and Azula's relationship sort of makes me think of Shishio and Soujiro from "Rurouni Kenshin"; Both men pretty much used a kind of warped social Darwinism to turn young children into psycopaths who believed that was the only way. Maybe Zuko and Aang will fill a role similar to Kenshin's by the end of the comic and there'll be a sort of similar outcome. 

neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Sep 17, 2013 02:23 am »

I would like to see Azula in some kind of wacky romance.  The guy would have to be pretty unique though.

I've always liked the thought of her with Kuei for his huge man-child disposition.

A romance would be interesting; fanfics ahoy!

On that note, was I the only person who read sexual tension into Azula's interactions with Sokka so far?

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2013 03:22 am »

A romance would be interesting; fanfics ahoy!

On that note, was I the only person who read sexual tension into Azula's interactions with Sokka so far?

Yes. Yes you were.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2013 04:11 am »

Oh..... well now I just feel silly O.o

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Sep 17, 2013 04:31 am »

There does seem to be something going on, they are both putting each other down quite hard verbally. Its probably a very mild tease to compliment the suki/zuko teasing thats going on. I think it will lead to nothing.

Did you miss me?
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Sep 17, 2013 06:05 am »

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe she could hook up with Chan?

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Sep 17, 2013 06:15 am »

Possibly, except Chan is pretty shallow. Although I do like that Azula found Chan attractive, considering he and Ikem look alike. Mother and daughter have the same taste in men.

Did you miss me?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #48 on: Sep 17, 2013 05:12 pm »

Did Azula find Chan himself attractive, or simply his position in the hierarchy of the local social scene?

Zuko-Fan-Girl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bi-demi-sexual demigirl

« Reply #49 on: Sep 17, 2013 08:23 pm »

I think the Snow White reference is that Ozai is the story's Mirror:
Quite the opposite, actually! You see, Ursa owned a mirror that answered every question that was ever asked of it, and quite truthfully, too! Ozai was OBSESSED with this mirror, asking it everyday: "Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest on the wall?" And the mirror would always answer: "'tis you, milord." And then, oh joyous of days! Ozai had become a father! Days after the birth of his son, he asked his wife to ask the mirror the usual. So she did: "Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" And, as always, the mirror answered: "'tis your husband, Ozai, milady." But, then: "But he is destined to be surpassed by his son, Zuko." Ursa never told this to Ozai, fearing for Zuko's life. She instead wrote the mirror's prediction in a letter, because that's what people did in those days. One day, instead of grabbing the letter meant for Ikem, the lady stealing the letters from Ozai grabbed the mirror letter instead.  Ozai read the letter and became enraged. And that's why he's always hated Zuko.

That is the story revealed in the Search Part 3, I assure. The original letter for Ikem merely ended up in Azula's hands through witchcraft (and wizardry).

[hissing]
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: