Oct 31, 2014 10:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Everstorm / Spirit Portals at the North and South Poles  (Read 9688 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« on: Sep 14, 2013 01:41 am »

So, the "Everstorm" at the South Pole... Why hadn't Aang done something about that? He was unarguably a very spiritual Avatar, and big on the whole balance thing, and the SWT is the homeland of his wife so surely he must have known there was some kind of issue with the spirits down there. Maybe he was too busy in Republic City to do something about a blocked off spirit portal in the south pole?

Or was the Everstorm not so 'ever' after all? Did it start after Aang died, or close to his death when his health was deteriorating? Or was the portal not meant to be opened at all and that's why Aang didn't do anything about it? I need to rewatch the episode and see what exactly it was that Unalaq said about it... What do you all think?

Thread title edited to include discussion of the spirit portal at the north too. ~SMBH
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2013 11:43 pm by SMBH » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Solariz
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2013 01:47 am »

Can you refresh my memory as to what the Everstorm was ? I just have missed the details

I'm going to assume that the it wasn't considered a big enough deal to address during Aang's reign. If it had been, I'm  sure it would have been dealt with.
SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2013 01:52 am »

It was the storm that was happening at the south pole instead of the southern lights, caused by the blocked off spirit portal and/or the dark spirits mucking about.

UnownLegend
Unphotogenic Avatar

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:01 am »

well they said that the southern lights disappeared after the south pole was ravaged in the 100 year war, so maybe aang simply didn't know that there were supposed to be southern lights

Solariz
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:03 am »

Ah yes, now that I think further into the subject, it would be a plot hole for Aang to have glazed over the spiritual constipation brewing in the south.
Maybe the storm has only been worsening following the 20 years or so of tonroq's banishment.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2013 02:05 am by Solariz » Logged
UnownLegend
Unphotogenic Avatar

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:05 am »

you guys, aang isn't omnipresent.

he didn't know everything about everything when he grew up!

Solariz
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:06 am »

Blasphemy, he knew all >.>

Lol but yeah I see your point. But it was his wife's home nation so to not know much would be shocking. But I'm sure mike and Bryan don't have EVERY kink worked out and I can't blame them. The avatar world is huge.

Btw SMBH, your zuko set is reeeealy hard not to stare at.  He grew up nicely lol
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2013 02:11 am by Solariz » Logged
SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:09 am »

Lol, I know Aang didn't know everything Tongue  It's just that Unalaq made it seem like a big deal (or that's how I remember it... I just started replaying the episodes again so I'll sit and rewatch and pay more attention to the everstorm business), and it was in the South Pole which Aang was probably familiar with through Katara and Sokka. So it's like, did he just not know about it? Did he know and didn't do anything on purpose because nothing was supposed to be done? Etc etc, lots of possibilities.

austyn12090
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:16 am »

Blasphemy, he knew all >.>

Lol but yeah I see your point. But it was his wife's home nation so to not know much would be shocking. But I'm sure mike and Bryan don't have EVERY kink worked out and I can't blame them. The avatar world is huge.

It's unlikely that Katara even knew. Almost all of the elders in the South were killed, and most of Katara's knowledge came from her grandmother, who was from the north.

If any of that knowledge did get down to Katara, it probably was just that there use to be lights there, and not much beyond.

Darkness Unleashed: Contacting Raava
A fic where I convince you that Mako will be the Dark Avatar.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9794152/1/Darkness-Unleashed-Contacting-Raava
neverXbroken
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:26 am »

I don't remember what Unalaq said but I could've sworn he mentioned something about the 100 year war playing a vital part in the SWT forgetting/neglecting the Everstorm. It doesn't surprise me though seeing how small it became when the FN attacked. The NWT was able to remember the spirits due to being strong against the FN.

SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:26 am »

If any of that knowledge did get down to Katara, it probably was just that there use to be lights there, and not much beyond.

That's a good point. But then, how did Unalaq know about it? Though I guess he did say that he spent his whole life studying spirits. He probably had access to libraries and whatnot. He could have said something to someone a couple decades ago, maybe the message could have reached Aang...

lycropath
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2013 02:28 am »

Lol, I know Aang didn't know everything Tongue  It's just that Unalaq made it seem like a big deal (or that's how I remember it... I just started replaying the episodes again so I'll sit and rewatch and pay more attention to the everstorm business), and it was in the South Pole which Aang was probably familiar with through Katara and Sokka. So it's like, did he just not know about it? Did he know and didn't do anything on purpose because nothing was supposed to be done? Etc etc, lots of possibilities.

It actually seems like the Southern Water Tribe was apathetic to the Everstorm and would rather leave it and focus on rebuilding, expanding and what not. It was probably something that was always out of sight and out of mind to everyone until Unalaq discovered the problem only after he spent his entire life studying spirits.

SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:05 am »

Ok so, Unalaq said that before the south became unbalanced in the hundred year war, the spirits danced in the sky (southern lights) but now they rampage in the everstorm.

Unlocking the spirit portal did something to the statue of who is presumably Wan.

In the season 2 trailer there's a scene where Wan goes Avatar-atom and flies up into the sky, separating a group of people on one side and a group of spirits on the other, as if they had been fighting each other and Wan was trying to stop them. Maybe this spirit portal was locked on purpose, by Wan, and it was meant to stay closed (hence why Aang didn't do anything, he somehow knew not to do anything about it). Unalaq somehow got it in his head that the portal needed to be opened (someone or something misled/misguided him in that direction maybe?), and now bad stuff's gonna happen because the portal's open when it should have stayed closed. And that's why we need to know Wan's story, because he'll tell Korra about the portal. Maybe. Dunno, just speculating here.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2013 03:06 am by SMBH » Logged

gender bender
Unphotogenic Avatar

^ Thats a boy

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:13 am »

^ If that's true then why is the North Poles open?, unless Unalaq was lying about  the Northern lights

To bend another's gender, your own gender must be unbendable or you will be corrupted and changed
SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:17 am »

Good question.

We have seen northern lights before, so we know he's not lying about that:

Maybe just the one in the south is supposed to stay closed? Again, I'm just grasping at straws here. I just found the Everstorm and the whole locked spirit portal deal to be really interesting ^_^

gender bender
Unphotogenic Avatar

^ Thats a boy

« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:21 am »

lol Me too it's a  side of the Avatar's job we barely seen in ATLA XD
I wonder though if Unalaq is lying about what the Northern light actually are....spirits dancing in the sky sounds hella corny

To bend another's gender, your own gender must be unbendable or you will be corrupted and changed
Stupendous
Unphotogenic Avatar

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:25 am »

Unalaq mentioned "darkness and light." And the Moon and Ocean spirits notably took on a form that resembled the symbol of yin and yang. So perhaps the South Pole's portal is supposed to stay closed ("darkness") while the North Pole's portal needs to stay open ("light"). It goes with the yin-yang ideology that seems to be very associated with the Water Tribes.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
HikaruIzumi
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:27 am »

Unalaq made a big deal out of it because it was a big deal to HIM. Not even Korra knew and she lived there. I doubt that no one would accidentally mention it around her if it was a big deal and everyone knew, so my guess is that no one knew because no one cared. In the war, survival was more important to them than finding out why the funny lights that could have no meaning disappeared. So no one spread the story about them and evetually, the whole SWT forgot. That's why the spirits begun attacking. Besides, Aang had LOTS of work to do about war and repopulating air temples. I doubt he was just hanging around all parts of the world listening to old folk tales that could be just simple legends and checking out every single one of them.

Wall of Text Club President
Solariz
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:28 am »

Well isn't there a scene in the trailers with Korra fighting a spirit (her hair is all undone) and the background is pinkish and purple ? I kind of assumed that was what her uncle meant by "spirits dancing in the sky " since it looked all mystical and chalk full of spirit world shenanigans.
austyn12090
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:28 am »

lol Me too it's a  side of the Avatar's job we barely seen in ATLA XD
I wonder though if Unalaq is lying about what the Northern light actually are....spirits dancing in the sky sounds hella corny

I don't think it was meant literally, but that the spirits cause the Northern lights. When the spirits were locked away, the lights disappeared, just like the moon did when the Moon Spirit was killed.

Darkness Unleashed: Contacting Raava
A fic where I convince you that Mako will be the Dark Avatar.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9794152/1/Darkness-Unleashed-Contacting-Raava
SMBH
ASN Management
Unphotogenic Avatar

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2013 03:29 am »

Unalaq mentioned "darkness and light." And the Moon and Ocean spirits notably took on a form that resembled the symbol of yin and yang. So perhaps the South Pole's portal is supposed to stay closed ("darkness") while the North Pole's portal needs to stay open ("light"). It goes with the yin-yang ideology that seems to be very associated with the Water Tribes.

I like this idea very very much.

Lavanya Six
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2013 08:37 am »

So, the "Everstorm" at the South Pole... Why hadn't Aang done something about that?

Unalaq could've been lying about the nature of the Everstorm, or massaging the truth in a way that benefited him. It's hard to imagine that Aang would let something so cosmic slide by him. And Unalaq clearly has bigger plans.

Plus, why NOW?

If the Everstorm is such an affront to the natural order, why did it take over seventy years -- maybe even over a century -- to tip over into monster rampage status? My first guess would be Old Man Withers. But since he's not around, I'll finger Unalaq instead.
Blanka
Banned Member
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2013 08:50 am »

So, the "Everstorm" at the South Pole... Why hadn't Aang done something about that? He was unarguably a very spiritual Avatar, and big on the whole balance thing, and the SWT is the homeland of his wife so surely he must have known there was some kind of issue with the spirits down there. Maybe he was too busy in Republic City to do something about a blocked off spirit portal in the south pole?

Or was the Everstorm not so 'ever' after all? Did it start after Aang died, or close to his death when his health was deteriorating? Or was the portal not meant to be opened at all and that's why Aang didn't do anything about it? I need to rewatch the episode and see what exactly it was that Unalaq said about it... What do you all think?

Well, something tells me that Aang and Katara knew about what exactly what was going on and knew that something evil was sealed within it. Plus we're just taking Unaloq's word for it that this started during the time that Aang disappeared, when it really could have been sealed for much longer than that by Kyoshi, Yangchen, or some previous Avatar. It's strikingly similar to Aang being sealed in the ice, but instead of sealed good in a can, I think we're seeing sealed evil in a can.

Unaloq knows what's in there, but he merely used Korra to release it. I'd imagine it's a spirit of terrible power sealed within, and that Unaloq plans to use it to not only make the South more spiritual, but the world at large. The Earth Kingdom for instance compared to the other 3 nations seems to be completely devoid of spirituality, which I think makes Unaloq tick as well.
Uzuko
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2013 09:04 am »

I like the rebuilding theory. Maybe it started out small and something easy to ignore because there were other important matters at hand, and it only became larger in Aang's later years when he couldn't do anything.
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Unphotogenic Avatar

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2013 11:36 am »

Well, we'll see if Tonraq was 100 honest with his description.  ( I get the feeling the spirit portal opening is a bad thing. )

Not to mention he might just be wrong about the everstorm, letting his biases and assumptions lead him to an incorrect conclusion.

Cuase either way, I am sure we haven't seen the last of dark spirits and the portal.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: