Mar 24, 2017 02:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 26 (24.8%)
9 - 24 (22.9%)
8 - 36 (34.3%)
7 - 11 (10.5%)
6 - 6 (5.7%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 105

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [202] The Southern Lights  (Read 26126 times)
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #450 on: Sep 19, 2013 12:23 pm »

And in Avatar Wikia, Bryan is apparently racist because the voice actors of the characters are white and he's no better than Shyamalan. Pff, Hahaha, this one is good, you just gotta love some good humour Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ...Wait, they're serious O.o

Edit : ...And this is the kinda of people I really, really dislike. I so respect ASN now, I'm glad I joined in here

Going by that logic would mean that we'll have to cut back on 90% of our current VA's because they aren't Asian.

Byrke has been accused of a lot things such as racism (remember that tumblr post he did a few months?) and sexism ( The first Avatar being a boy). I'm pretty sure that in a month or so he's going to get accused of hating pretty girls like Asami if she gets shafted again or having no chubby people in LOK.

You know I always wonder why Byrke is getting the heat and not Mike? He is one of the creators and writers on the show so technically it should be 50/50 on the flak they get.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #451 on: Sep 19, 2013 12:36 pm »

And in Avatar Wikia, Bryan is apparently racist because the voice actors of the characters are white and he's no better than Shyamalan. Pff, Hahaha, this one is good, you just gotta love some good humour Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ...Wait, they're serious O.o

Edit : ...And this is the kinda of people I really, really dislike. I so respect ASN now, I'm glad I joined in here

Yeah I had major problems with the casting of TLA, but voice is something else.  Even the Racebending.com folks said this is a non issue.  Voice isn't as major a marker of ethnicity as physical appearance, as the many Asians fluent in English can attest to.  Casting Asians is a nice bonus but that's it.

As far as Korra's character herself, I think that why she is the way she is is understandable- being sheltered like that and letting the idea of being the Avatar get to her head isn't the best combination.  But she has to grow past that.  Book 1 should have been a humbling and eye opening experience, and it doesn't seem to have changed her.
neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #452 on: Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm »

Going by that logic would mean that we'll have to cut back on 90% of our current VA's because they aren't Asian.

Byrke has been accused of a lot things such as racism (remember that tumblr post he did a few months?) and sexism ( The first Avatar being a boy). I'm pretty sure that in a month or so he's going to get accused of hating pretty girls like Asami if she gets shafted again or having no chubby people in LOK.

You know I always wonder why Byrke is getting the heat and not Mike? He is one of the creators and writers on the show so technically it should be 50/50 on the flak they get.

Just a small correction:
Erm, Byrke? Bryke.
Bryke doesn't get the blame, Bryan gets the blame because he's the most vocal of the two as well as the "leader". When Mike write something on his blog about story-telling or Korra, most people are intrigued.

waterlilies8
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #453 on: Sep 19, 2013 03:56 pm »

But isn’t the Southern Water Tribe at the South Pole?

The Southern Air Temple is so pretty and clean. It’s also so colorful.

That’s rude, Kya and Bumi are as much Aang and Katara’s children as Tenzin is. Also, with Katara being a waterbender, wouldn’t it cross the Air Acolytes minds that Aang and Katara’s children had a chance of being waterbenders and non-benders?

I’m wondering, how would or did they treat Katara?

The green cloud formation looked cool.

If the portal needed an Avatar, why didn’t Aang do it?

At first I thought they were talking about the building we saw when Aang was at the Southern Air Temple.

So I guess the Gaang didn’t tell others about Hei Bai or Tonraq would have maybe been a little safer with the forest.

Aang, Kuruk, and Yangchen statues. Cool.

Well of course a WAR would put people at odds with their spiritual side, after all, most probably gave up praying things would get better.

So what happens if they all get lost?

I realized she had to use the Avatar Spirit when Firebending didn’t work.

I missed that familiar blue glow.

The Southern Lights are pretty.

So Unalaq wants to undo the separation of the Tribes that has been that way since at least Kuruks time?

I give this episode a 10. The reason is because it seemed a bit better the than the first.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2013 04:18 pm by waterlilies8 » Logged
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #454 on: Sep 19, 2013 09:00 pm »

one question that stuck with me...where was asami in the whole of this? Cheesy

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #455 on: Sep 19, 2013 09:33 pm »

^Probably working out a business deal with Verick.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #456 on: Sep 19, 2013 09:43 pm »

^Probably working out a business deal with Verick.
....why do you have to be so reasonable? Tongue

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #457 on: Sep 19, 2013 10:20 pm »

But isn’t the Southern Water Tribe at the South Pole?

The Southern Air Temple is so pretty and clean. It’s also so colorful.

That’s rude, Kya and Bumi are as much Aang and Katara’s children as Tenzin is. Also, with Katara being a waterbender, wouldn’t it cross the Air Acolytes minds that Aang and Katara’s children had a chance of being waterbenders and non-benders?

If the portal needed an Avatar, why didn’t Aang do it?

At first I thought they were talking about the building we saw when Aang was at the Southern Air Temple.

So Unalaq wants to undo the separation of the Tribes that has been that way since at least Kuruks time?

No, the SWT isn't. Saying "The South Pole" was probably just a general term. Also, they're right along the coast. If you look at the map of the Avatar world, the coast isn't over the south pole.

It seemed to me as if the Air Acolytes didn't even KNOW Aang had any other children, which is really damn odd to me.

I thought that too actually!

We've been debating why Aang apparently didn't take care of this massive spirituality problem at the South Pole. The general theory seems to be that he was far too busy with Republic City.

We don't really know yet if he wants to "undo" the separation yet. I got the vibe that he wants to unite the tribes spiritually, while leaving them separate entities. Although didn't someone say at some point that Unalaq was the "Chief of the Water TribeS"?

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #458 on: Sep 19, 2013 11:06 pm »

We don't really know yet if he wants to "undo" the separation yet. I got the vibe that he wants to unite the tribes spiritually, while leaving them separate entities. Although didn't someone say at some point that Unalaq was the "Chief of the Water TribeS"?

Bryan's clarified that Unalaq is the Chief of both tribes, but the South saw him more as a figurehead than a ruler (and was ruled in practice by a Council of Elders, potentially including Katara).

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
munchydino12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #459 on: Sep 20, 2013 01:59 am »

I hope for the sake of the series that Unalaq isn't another Tarrlok. And I hope his faith in Korra isn't a big act concocted so that he could use her to open the portal, flood the world with Spirits, and conquer the universe.

Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #460 on: Sep 20, 2013 02:49 am »

one question that stuck with me...where was asami in the whole of this? Cheesy

Crying over her missed opportunity with Bolin. Next scene will feature a cat fight with Eska. Korra will join in because she wants to maintain her position as Alpha Female.

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-

icon credit
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #461 on: Sep 20, 2013 09:41 am »

Bryan's clarified that Unalaq is the Chief of both tribes, but the South saw him more as a figurehead than a ruler (and was ruled in practice by a Council of Elders, potentially including Katara).

Hopefully this is made more explicit in coming episodes. As with a math problem, you don't get credit for not showing your work. Interviews are great, but important facts like that should be answered within the narrative. Because those moral and political dimensions, of the SWT being directly ruled by Unalaq verses him being a ceremonial figurehead to the SWT, are vastly different. One is reasserting authority over a wayward province. The other is torturing an ancestral bond into something it's not.

As I said back in Season 1, when one of the main conflicts of the story was the struggle between a government and a terrorist group that felt the make-up of the government didn't represent them or their views, it's difficult to make judgement calls when you don't know how said government works at all. Presumably the Council was democratically elected, because little was made of the new President being democratically elected, but we didn't know that back then. Instead, we knew how the foul line rules worked in pro-bending, but we knew jack squat about the Council.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #462 on: Oct 05, 2014 06:39 pm »

This episode is one of my least favorite of the series. I just am not a big fan of the execution and Korra's moodiness is so annoying.

The funniest thing happened when I watched it with my brother. He asked if the people attacking the North were barbarians. What a coincidence! That's exactly what they are called!

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #463 on: Oct 05, 2014 06:46 pm »

Those tacky helmets really sell the barbarism concept.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #464 on: Oct 05, 2014 06:50 pm »

I thought this episode featured the best Perriot animation. They did a good job depicting the portal opening with that light show.
Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I need you to let me touch it.

« Reply #465 on: Feb 17, 2015 11:59 am »

This episode should've been titled "Tonraq Has No Shirt".

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: