Dec 06, 2019 06:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Animated Short:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [016] Republic City Hustle - Part 3  (Read 7443 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Aug 23, 2013 04:44 pm »

Part 3 (this is region locked to people outside the US)

Region free version (International fans should use this link)

Discuss!
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2013 04:52 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2013 05:15 pm »

I remember that in previous info that it was Mako fighting the Triads when Toza discovered them, but seeing this was early info I guess they are allowed to change it up a bit. Plus it shows that both the brothers do make a good team when they are together and I can't how it will affect them in Book 2 with Bolin being on his own more often.

I really liked this webisode and I hope they make more on other characters. Maybe they can have one with:

-Korra meeting Naga.

-Korra and Asami friendship (I heard that the writers confirmed that we will be getting some in future seasons)

-An interquel that takes place between Book 1 and 2

-Tenzin and his family.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2013 05:35 pm »

Weird that Shady Whatsiface had such an acrimonious parting with Bolin. The rest of the episode was fairly predictable, but I liked Lightning Bolt Zolt. He's an old school mobster with a sense of twisted honor.

Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2013 05:53 pm »

-Korra and Asami friendship (I heard that the writers confirmed that we will be getting some in future seasons)

Got anything to confirm that? God I hope so lol I need some Korami friendship lol
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2013 05:54 pm by Solariz » Logged
AoM
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2013 06:23 pm »

It was pretty good. I think part 2 was my favorite of the 3.

-An interquel that takes place between Book 1 and 2

I would enjoy this one the most. They could do a lot with a 6 month gap.

Sapientis est quam minime loqui.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2013 06:24 pm »

Police Academy 17: Enter the Mako

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2013 06:52 pm »

What were those weights made out of again?

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2013 06:54 pm »

Weird that Shady Whatsiface had such an acrimonious parting with Bolin. The rest of the episode was fairly predictable, but I liked Lightning Bolt Zolt. He's an old school mobster with a sense of twisted honor.

Shin is gay for Bolin, we know this.

I also liked how Zolt was more apt to negotiate the problem before letting things come to blows. Maybe he comes from a time when that's how most issues were worked out in the Triads. I'd get a kick out of it being mentioned that the "old ways" of the Triads are being forgotten more and more with each new generation.

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2013 07:45 pm »

Region free version (International fans should use this link)

Its a sad state of affairs when international Avatar fans are condemned to the Tumblr video player.
morycce
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2013 07:56 pm »

Uh, so... Bolin is a metalbender? The comics did suggest metal bending requires control of an extreme emotional state... so it makes sense for that scene.
Hope he gets it down by end of Season 2 so he can come up with some new style (metal discs?) in Season 3.
Andromeda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

He was Number Wan!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2013 09:00 pm »

Uh, so... Bolin is a metalbender? The comics did suggest metal bending requires control of an extreme emotional state... so it makes sense for that scene.
Hope he gets it down by end of Season 2 so he can come up with some new style (metal discs?) in Season 3.

I thought those barbells were made of stone? Bolin says in 112 that he isn't a metal bender...
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2013 09:06 pm »

Those barbells appear to be the same stuff Toza bended in the second episode.

Wow, the brothers got off so easily. From what I learned about Asian triads, it is VERY difficult to leave one after you took the oaths and stuff... Maybe the brothers were just runners instead of full fledged members. *shrug*

An enjoyable one overall. My fav is part 2 'cos of Pabu. :3

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AoM
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2013 09:07 pm »

I thought those barbells were made of stone? Bolin says in 112 that he isn't a metal bender...

Yep. Just rewatched it and the weights are made of stone, but the bar is metal. That's why there was that sound when he moved them.

Sapientis est quam minime loqui.
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2013 09:26 pm »

Wow, the brothers got off so easily. From what I learned about Asian triads, it is VERY difficult to leave one after you took the oaths and stuff... Maybe the brothers were just runners instead of full fledged members. *shrug*

You're right, once you've joined a Triad, you've made a blood oath, often quite literally, to that Triad. But from what I can tell, Bolin and Mako weren't actual members of the Triad.

When it comes to Asian Triads, you're pretty much in it for life and any betrayal of your brothers will not only result in the wrath of the Triad in this life, but also, according to Triad tradition, by the gods in the next life. But within the Triads, you have the rank of what are called "Blue Lanterns," who are technically not members of the Triad, but simply run errands for them, often in hopes that an established member of the Triad will recognize their talent and recommend them for a chance to join the Triad officially by taking a ceremonial oath.

Hierarchy is everything for Triads. My guess is Shady Shin is at least a Red Pole.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2013 11:36 pm »

I want to see an "interquel" of episode 11 and 12 with Bolin, Asami and Iroh. We see them heading out of the sewers and bam they're in the mountains. I kind of want to know how they managed to get that far without being seen or if they were, perhaps a few fighting scenes while they're all riding Naga.
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2013 12:31 am »

I was also really surprised how easily they let the brothers go.

But I liked this one. It was really really sweet. The bending animation was a bit choppy, but I didn't really mind. I was half expecting Toza to go through and win the fight, wasn't surprised when he did, but majorly facepalmed when Bolin said out loud right behind Shady Shin "I told him to do that, hooray!"

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2013 03:27 am »

LBZ, tho.

"Fighting with children? That's not dignified!"

At least someone understands. I think he just became my favorite minor character.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2013 03:49 am »

LBZ, tho.

At least someone understands. I think he just became my favorite minor character.

It just makes me curious if maybe the Triad subplot in Book 2 will have a less one dimensional portrayal of the Triads.

Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2013 09:52 am »

. . . I was half expecting Toza to go through and win the fight, wasn't surprised when he did, but majorly facepalmed when Bolin said out loud right behind Shady Shin "I told him to do that, hooray!"

AND he bet all the money they had on Toza's winning. WTF? The guy doesn't even know you, Bolin! I thought that this would set up their at least having met before all of the stuff with the Triads went down, but nope.

About possible future webisodes: these are the only ones that are confirmed, right? They never said they're going to do any more?

LBZ, tho.

It just makes me curious if maybe the Triad subplot in Book 2 will have a less one dimensional portrayal of the Triads.

If this had been in the series, I might have not defended Amon so avidly when he took his bending. XD

I wish someone would write a really serious treatment of the Triads, though. Even if they based it on American gangs, that would still be interesting.

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2013 10:32 am »

But I liked this one. It was really really sweet. The bending animation was a bit choppy, but I didn't really mind. I was half expecting Toza to go through and win the fight, wasn't surprised when he did, but majorly facepalmed when Bolin said out loud right behind Shady Shin "I told him to do that, hooray!"

I completely forgot that Bolin put all the money on Toza to win. That was pretty risky of him considering that the Triads were going to lose that money either way (The money would likely go to Bolin since he placed the bet and in turn give it to Toza because he's a nice guy) and if this wasn't a kid's show they would've done more to the boys than just throw them out on the streets.
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm »

Well, Shin seemed like he *did* have something more sinister in mind, but his boss reigned him in.

I bet Mako later scolded Bolin for making a move like that. Just because you're lucky once doesn't mean you should make it a habit of relying on strangers or betting on long shots.

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2013 03:12 pm »

I enjoyed this one. I feel as if Bolin's behavior is an excellent way to show how young and innocent they are.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 26, 2013 05:40 pm »

LBZ, tho.

That's probably why Mako and Bolin got off scott free like they did. The brothers were never full-fledged members to begin with and LBZ being the only one who realized how ridiculous it looked for the Triad to be fighting kids, let them them leave to save any further humiliation.   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Aug 26, 2013 09:39 pm »

LBZ, tho.

That's probably why Mako and Bolin got off scott free like they did. The brothers were never full-fledged members to begin with and LBZ being the only one who realized how ridiculous it looked for the Triad to be fighting kids, let them them leave to save any further humiliation.   

The other reason, I imagine, is that the Triads' fixing-matches racket would become incredibly obvious if a couple of their number runners and a pro-bender were found dead after they lost a bunch of money in a match.  Zolt probably figured the potential for making money in the future from people who didn't realize the matches were fixed outweighed the financial loss in the present (especially since Toza gave them their money back).

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
freshofftheboat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2013 02:25 pm »

Well, Shin seemed like he *did* have something more sinister in mind, but his boss reigned him in.

I bet Mako later scolded Bolin for making a move like that. Just because you're lucky once doesn't mean you should make it a habit of relying on strangers or betting on long shots.

I sicerely hoped to see that happening, even as a lighter jab with a vailed tint of frustration from Mako's part at the closure, because for all his kindness and positivity, Bolin still needs to have a great chunk of sense being knocked on his head from time to time...Seriously, you don't risk all your money when you're dirt poor, and no, 'I have a good feeling' it's not really a convenient excuse... But, than again, these shorts at the end were something of a mini(giant) 'Boliness' show-off; everything was meant to turn in his favor despite better judgement like a tailored fairytale. Good for his fans, I guess.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: