May 24, 2019 03:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Animated Short:
10 - 6 (17.1%)
9 - 3 (8.6%)
8 - 16 (45.7%)
7 - 5 (14.3%)
6 - 2 (5.7%)
5 - 1 (2.9%)
4 - 1 (2.9%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (2.9%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [013] Republic City Hustle - Part 1  (Read 22030 times)
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Aug 10, 2013 10:21 am »

I like this webisodes idea. if they'd go far enough, maybe we can get webisodes about the adult Gaang and their kids! don't care about the animation by that point, as long as we get something! Grin
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Aug 10, 2013 10:30 am »

I like this webisodes idea. if they'd go far enough, maybe we can get webisodes about the adult Gaang and their kids! don't care about the animation by that point, as long as we get something! Grin

Excellent point. Seeing more of the Gaang would be awesome. And I kind of like the animation.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
freshofftheboat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Aug 10, 2013 10:47 am »

Mako seems a lot more edgy in this than in the actual show. "You either Hustle or you get hustled"

If by edgy, you mean sociopathic than yes.

If by sociopathic you mean rightfully jaded, than yes.

I welcome these little shorts(ah, redundance), I like the simplicity and at same time the heartwarming, in depth retrospective on the brothers' past. Like many, I would have preferred for this sort of stories to be gracefully integrated into the main series, but, at least, this much needed character-focused bonus has not been completely lost on the overarching spectrum of ideas from the authors. Expecially moving to me were some subtle details like how Mako and Bolin orchestrated the scam as it would be a child play, without outright harming the victim (yes, it was a deliberate authors' intent to mitigate the content of the scene and make it more family-friendly, but in context, considering that the kids are literarly starving, that Mako in particular has been the witness of a similar assault that cost their parent's lives, it becomes even more heartbreaking); The other part I appreciated is the one when Mako snaps at Bolin to make him shake off his sadness over Toza, but soon after tries to reassure him seeing that Bolin is depressed. Really I think that this piece underlines clearly how Bolin's unbreakable innocence and natural compassion have always been providential on holding Mako back from falling irreparably unto the wrong path, because Mako's love and protectiveness for him would always take precedence over all the bitter pragmatism.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am by freshofftheboat » Logged
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #53 on: Aug 10, 2013 11:28 am »

^ Very good points about how Mako comforts Bolin to avoid being too lost in the path of wrong.

If I had to guess, I'd say Bolin is about 12-years-old, making Mako 14.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
plastroncafe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plastronc
« Reply #54 on: Aug 10, 2013 12:07 pm »

I remember seeing clips from Book Two and being surprised that Mako would give up Pro Bending in favor of law enforcement, thinking it was the sport he loved. But...this clip has shown me it's just Bolin that Mako loves. That it's Bolin's dream he's trying to fulfill while also attempting to keep him safe, and as soon as he finds another way to do that he drops Pro Bending like a bad habit.

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
HaZardous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Aug 10, 2013 12:23 pm »

^ I saw it more like Mako was living only for himself and Bolin so he didn't really care for anyone else and resorted to small-time crimes to support themselves. Even taking up probending in the first place was part of that. But after spending time with the Krew and especially Korra, he realized there is a lot more in the world than just him and Bolin. So to make up for all the crimes he did as a kid, he becomes a cop to help the same city that he used to scam.
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #56 on: Aug 10, 2013 01:02 pm »

YES. PLEASE.

I think I would explode with happiness if they did that.

But these are cute with Mako and Bolin, I like them.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #57 on: Aug 10, 2013 01:08 pm »

Transcript:
http://korra.avatarspirit.net/transcripts.php?num=013

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Chaobunny
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Maker of Chaobunny's Guide to Zutarian Logic

« Reply #58 on: Aug 10, 2013 08:07 pm »

Am I the only one who isn't really a fan of the style? It's just too far off from the original series for my taste. It doesn't feel right.

Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Aug 10, 2013 09:00 pm »

I don't think you're the only one, but I actually really enjoy it. Someone mentioned its very "samurai jack"-ish and I agree. It's just awesome to see the characters in a different animated style.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #60 on: Aug 11, 2013 02:11 pm »

I'm personally not a fan of the different style, but that's separate from my also thinking that the actual animation is lazy and low quality. Samurai Jack was far smoother and didn't have jaggies all over the place.

Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Aug 11, 2013 04:07 pm »

^That's somewhat comparing apples and oranges, Samurai Jack certainly had a much higher budget.
And I don't know who animated these shorts, but Jack had one on the most talented animation team of the time producing it, which helped in the overall quality.

EDIT : Nevermind, it was designed by Evon Freeman, I knew I'd seen some Korra fanart in that style before. Tongue
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2013 04:16 pm by Helldars » Logged

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #62 on: Aug 11, 2013 04:16 pm »

Well, that gets back to the crux of the issue with these shorts. If this backstory is relevant to the characters and their presentation, then shouldn't it be in the series proper or given good treatment? And if it's all completely irrelevant and not worth more than cheap-o animation, then why is anyone bothering? Are we that desperate for content with these characters? Does Nick prefer to commission this kind of stuff instead of more Making Of or Behind The Scenes content for their blu-ray extras?

Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Aug 11, 2013 04:34 pm »

Well, that gets back to the crux of the issue with these shorts. If this backstory is relevant to the characters and their presentation, then shouldn't it be in the series proper or given good treatment? And if it's all completely irrelevant and not worth more than cheap-o animation, then why is anyone bothering? Are we that desperate for content with these characters? Does Nick prefer to commission this kind of stuff instead of more Making Of or Behind The Scenes content for their blu-ray extras?

I think it actually goes back to the reason these shorts even exists : Mike and Bryan tried to tell too big of a story in too few episodes in Book 1, so a lot of the characterization went down the drain. Some was apparently saved for these shorts, which is nice, but they come very late to the party. It's going to take more than that to spark the interest of people who were annoyed by the lack of character development beyond the basic traits.

Again, even if it would've meant a longer production time and a somewhat lower animation quality, I think Korra Book 1 should've had a 20 episodes run. The story and characters could have only benefited from it, and the need for these shorts would'nt exist.

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Aug 11, 2013 05:48 pm »

Maybe for the same reason, if on a cheaper scale at this point, that Cartoon Network runs those DC Nation shorts. They've got a proven brand, so they farm out bits of it to various animators to see if their style/skills are popular with viewers. Think of it as sounding out future talent.

EDIT: Also, as for why this particular story is being told first, there might be a degree of damage control concerning Mako. He's unpopularity was great enough that they had to warn fans not to boo his VA at (?) SDCC 2012. These shorts might be an attempt to soften up the fandom ahead of Season 2.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2013 05:50 pm by Lavanya Six » Logged
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Aug 11, 2013 10:01 pm »

^This is probably a form of damage control seeing how the Mako hate (the ones that range from "sociopath" to "abuser") has gotten out of hand in the most disturbing way in a fandom. But hey, at least we're getting something that we've been pining over for the past year, a flashback story of Mako and Bolin. I can't complain.

I don't think they are trying to make you like Mako. If anything, they are (or should) try to get you to understand why he is like that and what he did in order to survive. I'll admit the show didn't do a good job with it.

Anyway I have a theory as to how this story is going to play out after seeing that picture of Bolin talking to Toza outside:

Bolin bumps into (or catches up) to Toza and tells him that he's his number one fan and yadda, yadda, yadda. This makes Toza decide not to throw the match and his team wins and the next thing you know the Triads approach him (Mako is with them for the sake of this argument) and he suffers a little "accident" that may cause him to be crippled (notice the brace he had on his leg in the concept art) and take the money back. Seeing this as wrong and guilty for not stepping in Mako tries to get the money back only to get attacked by the Triads until Toza somehow saves him and decides to take him and Bolin in.

Yeah it sounds cliché but it works.

ViolaHarmony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Almighty Alto Clef

« Reply #66 on: Aug 12, 2013 05:35 pm »

^I like it.  Smiley
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #67 on: Aug 12, 2013 07:55 pm »

^^Sounds great. Though I would add a Asami cameo. I know that is also cliche, cross paths with a character you will meet in the future.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: Aug 12, 2013 08:30 pm »

I don't think they are trying to make you like Mako. If anything, they are (or should) try to get you to understand why he is like that and what he did in order to survive. I'll admit the show didn't do a good job with it.

But that wasn't the problem. Like, at all.
freshofftheboat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #69 on: Aug 12, 2013 08:50 pm »

EDIT: Also, as for why this particular story is being told first, there might be a degree of damage control concerning Mako. He's unpopularity was great enough that they had to warn fans not to boo his VA at (?) SDCC 2012. These shorts might be an attempt to soften up the fandom ahead of Season 2.

Err...This sounds like a stretched theory to me. They already acknowledged the negative reception on the dvd commentary, but (thankfully) they don't seem to be too much troubled by the issue, enough to promptly gather extra time and resources just to accomodate to the whims of the most vocal section of the 'protesters'. I'd rather watch a deeply flawed but original work from the authors than a patchwork of dictated ruses for the sake of popularity(and acceptability). I think the websodes, if ever, are simply an elaborate diversion to draw back the attention of the fanbase now that the new series is finally coming up close, and also an easy way to juggle a bit with some of the unused material and untold stories that couldn't be included in the first run.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2013 08:54 pm by freshofftheboat » Logged
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #70 on: Aug 17, 2013 12:40 am »

I can't believe that it came out only a few hours ago or something and the fandom has already giffed a majority of it.

That tends to happen nowadays. In fifteen minutes after Adventure Time and Regular Show, I start to see gifs on Tumblr.

Love the short and makes me interested a bit more .

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Placeholder
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: Aug 18, 2013 02:27 pm »

I love this animation style. Anybody know any good series that look like this? (I watched something about Black Panther and Spider-woman on Netflix that were kinda similar)

Mako seems a lot more edgy in this than in the actual show. "You either Hustle or you get hustled"

If by edgy, you mean sociopathic than yes.

I don't think sociopathic is the right word to use.
^I agree with Tophness. "Sociopath" is a bit too strong a word. Bitter and hardened, yes. But he hasn't completely lost his humanity, and he clearly cares for his brother.
Agreed. Mako might be a lot of things, but I don't think a sociopath is one of them. 

I know, right?? Isn't it a little early to brand somebody a sociopath when they're fighting to survive? Under certain circumstances any prudent or necessary move that a person can't afford to be hung up over can be labeled sociopathic. I know the fandom dislikes Mako, but great La, that's harsh! Toza is employing a similar scheme he just used on the lady, and the lady lost two yuans and a loaf of bread! Am I supposed to be choked up about that? And note that BOLIN is the one who almost "broke character" and snatched it from her when she didn't give him what he deemed enough money!!

Anyway, Mako's more "edgy" in this because by the time the main series starts his brother's protests have softened him up. Wink

It's cute and since the brothers parents died when Mako was 8 and he is 18 in TLOK, these minisodes certainly take place in a 10 year time frame. Would we see baby Jinora or badass Lin in this? Would be interesting.

I'm almost certain we'll see Lin at some point, as she deals with the Triads. She may not get an appreciable arc, but she'll be physically awesome.

OMIGOSH I did not even think about baby Jinora! I think my heart would explode.

I'm trying very hard not to nitpick at the presence of bread, paper grocery bags, and a purse in an Asian influenced setting... They should have been replaced with steam buns, a rattan basket, and... Mako pickpocketing from the lady's sleeve since that's where valuables are usually kept. But yeah...

Fan animation in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

It's interesting to note that Mako willingly took on the role of the bad guy, where Bolin was the good guy. I wonder if the cultural bias against firebenders that he has probably encountered played a part in assigning of the roles, or if it was just age. (younger kids seem more innocent)
Borra the Explorer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dead Ships Sailing

« Reply #72 on: Aug 18, 2013 04:51 pm »

While I agree the animation is sort of choppy, considering it's still good quality for 2-3 minute shorts, I don't mind it. Anyway, it's great to finally get some much needed backstory on Mako and Bolin, even if it's not in the show itself.

It's interesting to note that Mako willingly took on the role of the bad guy, where Bolin was the good guy. I wonder if the cultural bias against firebenders that he has probably encountered played a part in assigning of the roles, or if it was just age. (younger kids seem more innocent)

That's a really good point, especially considering that when Mako was talking about 'running numbers and stuff' in "The Revelation," he made it sound like he did all the work for the Triads while Bolin was completely innocent. Obviously that wasn't the case, which leads me to believe that Mako was downplaying Bolin's role in the scams because he can handle being "the bad guy" and Bolin can't (or maybe I'm just desperate to find some consistency in Mako's character Roll Eyes). In context, it's perfectly understandable that he would develop a "hustle or get hustled" world view from a very young age. Bolin on the other hand, while he's willing to do what he needs to survive, still chooses to care about other people and look on the bright side of things despite their circumstances ("This is much better than we ate yesterday!" "But we didn't eat yesterday..."). So as much of a jerk as Mako can be, and as much as we like to complain about him, I still wonder how much worse Mako could have turned out if he didn't have Bolin around.

Keeper of Wan's teapot and the Zhu Li (the battleship, not Varrick's wife).

Click here for my tumblr, and here for my twitter profile.
Placeholder
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: Aug 18, 2013 10:46 pm »

That's a really good point, especially considering that when Mako was talking about 'running numbers and stuff' in "The Revelation," he made it sound like he did all the work for the Triads while Bolin was completely innocent. Obviously that wasn't the case, which leads me to believe that Mako was downplaying Bolin's role in the scams because he can handle being "the bad guy" and Bolin can't

Or that Mako simply wants take some of that negativity away from the perception of his brother for its own sake? Maybe it's simply a decision on Mako's part because he cares about him, not because he "can't handle it." Then again, Bolin might be the type to be such a people pleaser that it would wound him to be seen that way.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #74 on: Aug 19, 2013 05:29 pm »

Or that Mako simply wants take some of that negativity away from the perception of his brother for its own sake?

Good point. Mako believed that Bolin was trying to score with Korra at the time, and wasn't yet jealous of that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: