Oct 15, 2019 08:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #7] The Rift, Part 1  (Read 59956 times)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #250 on: Apr 12, 2014 12:21 pm »

And I'll be laughing with Hikaru and Lizzy if it is.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #251 on: Apr 14, 2014 01:20 pm »

I'm just asking if this Yangchen thing is in the rift, because I want to read it. :3
It's a very random speculation unrelated to the real plot in every way so don't get your hopes up.

For now, at least. It might actually be important later Tongue

Well, we do know that SLF was important enough to Yangchen that she dedicated her holiday to the woman. Solid Sun, Hikaru and I have just taken it to the logical conclusion that Statue Lady was the Avatar's beloved wife. Grin

Sig by Guitarfreak.
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #252 on: Apr 14, 2014 03:43 pm »

I'm just asking if this Yangchen thing is in the rift, because I want to read it. :3
It's a very random speculation unrelated to the real plot in every way so don't get your hopes up.

For now, at least. It might actually be important later Tongue

Well, we do know that SLF was important enough to Yangchen that she dedicated her holiday to the woman. Solid Sun, Hikaru and I have just taken it to the logical conclusion that Statue Lady was the Avatar's beloved wife. Grin

... What if she was her sister? The fact that neither Aang nor Korra had any siblings doesn't mean previous Avatars didn't have them. I think it'd actually be more touching if it is in fact Yangchen's sister.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #253 on: Apr 14, 2014 04:29 pm »

^How should we kill him? I vote for stoning. Although, it's true that didn't matter to Zu-cest or Ka-cest shippers. Cheesy

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #254 on: Apr 14, 2014 04:36 pm »

SLF/Yangchen is srs business for us, RLY. *Raises hand*

Also, anyone got a heart attack upon seeing "Yu Dao" in the first page, like me ?

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #255 on: Apr 14, 2014 06:16 pm »

What? I just don't get why Yangchen and SLF have to be romantically involved.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #256 on: Apr 14, 2014 06:21 pm »

How dare you question Yangchen and SLF's love! Angry *throws a stone and misses by a mile*

BTW, is SLF an Air Nomad even?
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2014 06:23 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #257 on: Apr 14, 2014 06:25 pm »

She's a spiritual sister to the Nomads, like the Guru.

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #258 on: Apr 14, 2014 06:25 pm »

How dare you question Yangchen and SLF's love! Angry *throws a stone and misses by a mile*

TBH, I can't tell if the statue is an Air Nomad or not.

True enough, but what if she was an oddity born without bending? Seeing as the Air Nomads were a bending-exclusive club, she was possibly expelled from their society and Yangchen went behind their backs to see her. Then she was killed or something and BOOM--memorial statue.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #259 on: Apr 14, 2014 06:28 pm »

She's a spiritual sister to the Nomads, like the Guru.

Headcanon accepted. Personally I like Stu's idea of her being a Fire Nation Baroness. Cheesy

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2014 06:50 pm »

I finally bought this book. (Discounted, of course.)

I'll probably get to it before the end of the month.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #261 on: Jun 18, 2014 07:04 am »

People, I think I found this girl.

But she obviously can't be a waterbender.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #262 on: Jun 18, 2014 07:43 am »

*Images*

In a twist of events, she's a bloodbender.

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #263 on: Jun 18, 2014 04:30 pm »

*Images*

How? That has literally never been the case in the past

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #264 on: Jun 18, 2014 05:01 pm »

http://puu.sh/9yUAP/c30664f943.jpg[/img][img width=199 height=169]http://puu.sh/9yUFu/6c77c8794b.jpg

She has a vendetta against the last waterbender in her tribe, maybe she's one of the first Equalists? Tongue

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #265 on: Jun 18, 2014 05:20 pm »

*Images*

That was a joke.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #266 on: Jun 18, 2014 05:41 pm »

Huh. Gurihiru really does take a few years off of everyone's face.

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #267 on: Jun 19, 2014 02:27 am »

*Images*

That was a joke.

Yes it was. Sarcasm doesn't work very well over the internet, does it?

Huh. Gurihiru really does take a few years off of everyone's face.

Right? Although Aang's definitely gotten a little taller they've made other characters' facial features more childlike. Sokka's definitely different than he was at the end of Book 3.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2014 02:31 am by chicken_sokka » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #268 on: Apr 07, 2015 07:45 am »

I got the Library Edition for the promise and just got done reading Part 1 along with the extra commentary. According to Gene, Satoru is indeed Toph's love interest.

GLY: I thought long and hard about a possible love interest for Toph. Of all the main characters, Toph took the most drastic action to get away form her past. She looks forward to the future without looking back. It would make sense for her love interest (one of them, anyway) to represent the future, and we all know the future belongs to nerds.

The part where he says "one of them, anyway" makes it sound like M&B told him that Toph might have been romantically involved with a few guys in her lifetime... Hmm.

And there's a small little mention of the funny background events in the book like Katara stealing Sokka's meat skewer.

GLY: I deeply admire the comics of Don Rosa, who made his name writing and drawing Disney Duck comics. Rosa always puts little jokes in his panel backgrounds. They're there waiting for you on your second or third read. This page is me doing my best Don Rosa impression.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #269 on: Apr 07, 2015 09:44 am »

Icy, if Legend of Korra is mentioned in the commentary, would it be too much to ask for you to post it? I want to know what parallels they tried to make.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #270 on: Apr 07, 2015 06:20 pm »

The idea that Gene thinks he's even approaching an imitation of Don Rosa makes me physically ill. And I say that as someone who owns a collection of Rosa's comics in hardcover.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #271 on: Apr 07, 2015 07:23 pm »

I got the Library Edition for the promise and just got done reading Part 1 along with the extra commentary. According to Gene, Satoru is indeed Toph's love interest.

GLY: I thought long and hard about a possible love interest for Toph. Of all the main characters, Toph took the most drastic action to get away form her past. She looks forward to the future without looking back. It would make sense for her love interest (one of them, anyway) to represent the future, and we all know the future belongs to nerds.

The part where he says "one of them, anyway" makes it sound like M&B told him that Toph might have been romantically involved with a few guys in her lifetime... Hmm.

I guess they would have discussed it at some point- either he raised the question of whether Toph could have a love interest in the comics, or they told him that Su would be introduced to the show and that she would be Lin's half-sister. Maybe they settled with introducing an earlier love interest, rather than the father of her future child, in the comics. I'm kind of surprised that Satoru will be a full-blown love interest though, he seems a few years older than her.

In the show I'd assumed that Lin and Su might have been the products of one-night stands, rather than full relationships (until Toph mentioned Kanto). But that this would be the kind of thing that would be hard to verbalise on a kids show, so they'd avoid the topic. It would explain why neither of them seemed to have ever met their fathers. It would also be in line with Toph's personality- a traditional, settle-down kind of relationship seems like the opposite of what she'd want. Arguably you could still have that interpretation.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #272 on: Apr 07, 2015 08:49 pm »

The idea that Gene thinks he's even approaching an imitation of Don Rosa makes me physically ill. And I say that as someone who owns a collection of Rosa's comics in hardcover.
I don't see how adding a funny background event will make one physically ill. I'm sure comics do that all the time.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #273 on: Apr 08, 2015 01:25 am »

I don't see how adding a funny background event will make one physically ill. I'm sure comics do that all the time.
My question is how adding a funny background is imitating a certain author. Like you wrote, it happens all the time so why does he think it's special somehow? It sounds as if his experience with comics as a reader is very limited. Which is not something I'd like to hear about a comic author.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #274 on: Apr 08, 2015 01:41 am »

^ Maybe Rosa pioneered it first and others emulated him after that hence why it's so common now?

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: