Mar 19, 2019 11:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #7] The Rift, Part 1  (Read 55555 times)
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2014 01:11 am »

By they way, those guys Katara met... Where did they come from? XD

I hope Gene didn't forget that Katara was the only waterbender in SWT.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014 01:51 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2014 01:44 am »

Maybe the retcon will be that they left the South Pole before they discovered they were waterbenders.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2014 04:06 am »

By they way, those guys Katara met... Where did they come from? XD

I hope Gene didn't forget that Katara was the only waterbender in SWT.

They're probably normal people without any bending who just Wanted to meet her.
And sort for the whole "Toph lover" thing.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2014 04:10 am »

The girl says that she has not seen Katara since she left SWT.

I really, really hope that they aren't waterbenders, otherwise Gene has some explaining to do. But I am interested in what's the deal with the sister is. She seems to dislike Katara or something.

"It could have been me who found the Avatar, I'm jealous, I hate you"

^ Let's hope she isn't like that Cheesy Cheesy
Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2014 08:17 am »

The factory has a non-bender line so maybe thats what those guys are there for.

By the way, I think Toph's problem with Aang was that he was forcing his traditions on her without any explanation just like her parents because he doesn't know anything about the holiday itself. Not even the statue's origin or why its celebrated. That doesn't justify Toph's behavior though.
Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2014 09:19 am »

He wasn't forcing anything on her.  He was merely explaining what they did during the holiday, even if he didn't know exactly why.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2014 09:58 am »

The girl says that she has not seen Katara since she left SWT.

I really, really hope that they aren't waterbenders, otherwise Gene has some explaining to do. But I am interested in what's the deal with the sister is. She seems to dislike Katara or something.

"It could have been me who found the Avatar, I'm jealous, I hate you"

^ Let's hope she isn't like that Cheesy Cheesy

I really doubt it. The only thing I can think of is that the one sister is:

a) Hiding something and it's going to be a major plot point later on.

b) She's jealous of Katara for being a waterbender and it overshadowed whatever skill she has as a non-bender.

c) She's weary of Katara because Katara was the reason the Southern Raiders came and attacked their tribe. She sees Katara as a jinx.

d) She's angry because she felt Katara and Sokka abandoned them and the tribe for a foreigner (Avatar or not) they only met for a few hours over a friendship that lasted for years. Heck, maybe she had a dad fighting in the war and being abandoned a second time by a friend made her upset. It would be an interesting callback to how Katara felt about her own father leaving the tribe to fight in the war.

He wasn't forcing anything on her.  He was merely explaining what they did during the holiday, even if he didn't know exactly why.

Yes and no. I understand that Aang wants to preserve his culture but if he doesn't understand the teachings then it doesn't feel right force that on his students because they'll be ones who will pass it down to future generations. If they don't know it then the whole festival would feel like a joke. That's why Aang created the Air Acolytes in the first place. If they want to be 'Air Nomads' they to do it the customs properly.

Now I"m not saying I'm taking Toph's side completely because she did behave like her usual self (bratty and inconsiderate), but she did have a valid point. That''s like me asking "Why do you celebrate Christmas?" and you tell me "We just do." then of course I'll be a little skeptical about it. Why should I celebrate a holiday I don't know about because my predecessors don't know about it themselves?
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2014 02:16 pm »

I think what made me enjoy this volume so much was that it was focused (a single plot line with a smattering of flashback panels for Aang/Toph) and tried hard to present both Aang and Toph as equals on opposing sides of the fence, with neither over-powering the other in terms of the tone of the story.

Aang's more passive, and Toph's more aggressive, but they both make their opinions heard.
Aang slips into some of his more reluctant side where he's not really sticking up for himself very well, which makes it hard to get things done.
Toph is still stuck in her bratty rut (which she has basically been in since the beginning) where her stubborn side is making her take out her pissiness with her parents on Aang.

While Toph is the less mature one (being inconsiderate of others), Aang is also presented as a bit ignorant (not knowing the purposes of practices).

For my personal tastes, I'd slightly side more with Aang if only because I'm sick of Toph trying to make this case where because stuff with her parents is complicated that she has it so hard. That line where she's like, "some of us have to avoid our past just to LIVE," it's like...from her perspective, I get it, but she's totally not thinking of anyone ELSE. Like, really, Toph? Your parents were stingy and protective, and it makes life oh-so-hard, while the guy you're talking to lost his entire race, his home, his people, and is just trying to preserve his culture, after ending a 100-year war that he didn't even want to participate in at all?

But, oh, you have Daddy issues. Yea. Woe is you. Tongue

And the thing is, I love that, because...that's Toph. She can be so stubborn she doesn't think outside of her own box. And she did get a little better in Book 3 but her arc was never resolved -- her conflict with her parents was never confronted. And it looks like we'll finally get that, which will hopefully mean character development.

As for the Water Tribe gals, I am really curious about that one. It could be any number of things, but I can't see it just being something we're supposed to ignore. It's about time something will be done in these comics with Katara (I hope).

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2014 02:41 pm »

In a way, Aang kind of was, because he dragged her along without giving her any details and kept going "that's just how its done."
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2014 03:04 pm »

I enjoyed this volume. Or at least it wasn't as big mess as the previous stuff. Plot was fluent and wasn't all over the place and it evolved really smoothly. My only problem was that Toph went WAAAY too fast from "Hey Satoru" to "let's make a partnership together and make a Lin". Seriously? This felt so artificial it made even Maiko look like a legit couple. (Tongue)

On another note, so far I enjoy where the conflict is heading. Factory that makes the best of mixing nations together vs. festival no one understands. That brings me to the Toph vs. Aang conflict. I'm totally with Toph on that one. Aang knows nothing about the festival and doesn't even know who the statue is representing. And he expects everyone to do as he asks? For what reason? Because he decided to worship a festival he had spent playing with kites before? That's seriously dumb and I don't understand how can he expect everyone to do what he wants for such a superficial reason. Toph was right in refusing to do that without explanation. It simply makes no sense. Festivals and celebration are there for something deeper. When you don't see that you simply can't celebrate it properly because you have no idea what you're doing. Aang was acting so childish in the comic.

EDIT:
It's not about her daddy issues, it's about the fact that Aang has no idea what the festival even is. Doing some random stuff without a reason and expecting everyone to comply is just very childish. Toph made a good point many times that he needs to explain it. What are they celebrating? Why are they celebrating it? What purpose does it serve? How can you pay respect to something when you have no idea what it is? What if they were supposed to bow down to sky or the birds on that exact place? What if they weren't supposed to sing, play on instruments and have picnic and it was simply what the kids were doing because they couldn't do the real thing like sealing a dark spirit? Aang literally does what he does for no reason simply because it was done that way before. He wanted to keep nations separated because it was that way before. Did he really learn nothing about that?
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014 03:12 pm by HikaruIzumi » Logged

Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2014 03:51 pm »

I enjoyed this volume. Or at least it wasn't as big mess as the previous stuff. Plot was fluent and wasn't all over the place and it evolved really smoothly. My only problem was that Toph went WAAAY too fast from "Hey Satoru" to "let's make a partnership together and make a Lin". Seriously? This felt so artificial it made even Maiko look like a legit couple. (Tongue)

On another note, so far I enjoy where the conflict is heading. Factory that makes the best of mixing nations together vs. festival no one understands. That brings me to the Toph vs. Aang conflict. I'm totally with Toph on that one. Aang knows nothing about the festival and doesn't even know who the statue is representing. And he expects everyone to do as he asks? For what reason? Because he decided to worship a festival he had spent playing with kites before? That's seriously dumb and I don't understand how can he expect everyone to do what he wants for such a superficial reason. Toph was right in refusing to do that without explanation. It simply makes no sense. Festivals and celebration are there for something deeper. When you don't see that you simply can't celebrate it properly because you have no idea what you're doing. Aang was acting so childish in the comic.

EDIT:
It's not about her daddy issues, it's about the fact that Aang has no idea what the festival even is. Doing some random stuff without a reason and expecting everyone to comply is just very childish. Toph made a good point many times that he needs to explain it. What are they celebrating? Why are they celebrating it? What purpose does it serve? How can you pay respect to something when you have no idea what it is? What if they were supposed to bow down to sky or the birds on that exact place? What if they weren't supposed to sing, play on instruments and have picnic and it was simply what the kids were doing because they couldn't do the real thing like sealing a dark spirit? Aang literally does what he does for no reason simply because it was done that way before. He wanted to keep nations separated because it was that way before. Did he really learn nothing about that?

If that area serves to keep Air Nomad culture alive, I see where Aang is coming from but he should go get a book or go to Wan Shi Tong's library and avoid Zei's skeleton on the third isle on the left near the window entrance something. He was being a bit unreasonable for expecting Toph to just go along with it, especially since he knows a thing or two about her early childhood.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2014 04:31 pm »

I found that part pretty annoying too. Satoph (That's how I'll call the ship) had no real buildup like most of the other canon (or formerly canon) ships.

I see that Aang is just trying to feel lime an Air Nomad again, but if he doesn't know how the celebration works, couldn't he just try to contact with the Air Nomad Avatars?

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2014 04:32 pm »

If that area serves to keep Air Nomad culture alive, I see where Aang is coming from but he should go get a book or go to Wan Shi Tong's library and avoid Zei's skeleton on the third isle on the left near the window entrance something. He was being a bit unreasonable for expecting Toph to just go along with it, especially since he knows a thing or two about her early childhood.
I agree with that. But as things are now, expecting to get the area for a festival without a meaning and stop the biggest step in cooperation between nations seems unreasonable.

I see that Aang is just trying to feel lime an Air Nomad again, but if he doesn't know how the celebration works, couldn't he just try to contact with the Air Nomad Avatars?
No, it's Yangchen's festival so before her it didn't exist. He already tried to contact her but unsuccessfully.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014 04:34 pm by HikaruIzumi » Logged

ChrisTinnef
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2014 05:46 pm »

Definitely the best read of all comics so far for me!
I have to agree with the already stated opinions – it's more focussed, the things that happen seem to make a sense and the story arch is simply more interesting than Promise or Search.

My only problem was that Toph went WAAAY too fast from "Hey Satoru" to "let's make a partnership together and make a Lin". Seriously? This felt so artificial it made even Maiko look like a legit couple. (Tongue)
I think that for Toph, there were a few factors for this rapid developement: Firstly Satoru's adoration that she clearly enjoyed, secondly the fact that teaming up with him meant to score off Aang in their argument, and thirdly the fact that he really cherished her skills and what she has accomplished by inventing metalbending. Usually when she's travelling around with the Gaang, she doesn't get that much of attention...

I also was really surprised for the first time in a long time by the ending of Part One. I really didn't expect Toph's father to be the co-owner of the factory, and it also didn't seem forced as some of the cliff-hangers of previous issues.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2014 06:40 pm »

I agree with that. But as things are now, expecting to get the area for a festival without a meaning and stop the biggest step in cooperation between nations seems unreasonable.

No, it's Yangchen's festival so before her it didn't exist. He already tried to contact her but unsuccessfully.
Heh whoops. I should have read a bit more.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2014 02:07 am »

In a way, Aang kind of was, because he dragged her along without giving her any details and kept going "that's just how its done."

I fail to see where he 'dragged her along'.  She came along of her own free will. And he was giving as many details as he had.  And when he was explaining how things went while still on Appa's back, she didn't seem to have a problem with it. She only grew a problem when Aang triggered her flashback.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2014 03:35 am »

^The problem is that he never explained anything because he has no explanation. She told asked him multiple times for a reason but he couldn't give one. Don't you think it's rather silly to do something that's uncomfortable for someone without a reason? He doesn't know what instruments they were supposed to play and he doesn't know why. He doesn't even know if they were supposed to play instruments or if the adults did that to make kids shut up.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2014 03:54 am »

And the whole "That's just how it's done" quote added salt to the wound.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2014 08:10 am »

To be fair on Aang, 100 years frozen in ice and then fighting for his life against a empire and a pimp must've messed up his memory a bit, he probably can't recall it now.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2014 08:28 am »

To be fair on Aang, 100 years frozen in ice and then fighting for his life against a empire and a pimp must've messed up his memory a bit, he probably can't recall it now.
It was explained in comic that he wasn't paying attention because he was playing with kite and he had "time to learn about it later".

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Mar 08, 2014 08:29 am »

He wasn't forcing anything on her.  He was merely explaining what they did during the holiday, even if he didn't know exactly why.

I fail to see where he 'dragged her along'.  She came along of her own free will. And he was giving as many details as he had.  And when he was explaining how things went while still on Appa's back, she didn't seem to have a problem with it. She only grew a problem when Aang triggered her flashback.

It's explained that he was playing with Gyatso and didn't bother to listen to the history lecture.

Edit : Ninja'd by Hikaru
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2014 08:31 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2014 08:32 am »

It was explained in comic that he wasn't paying attention because he was playing with kite and he had "time to learn about it later".

Ha, dammit. Sorry.
I would like to talk about it more but Avatar's not popular in my country, I'm going to need to wait for the online.
Ha, and sorry too for the "Toph lovers" ordeal and the hate.

Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2014 09:26 am »

[

It's explained that he was playing with Gyatso and didn't bother to listen to the history lecture.

Edit : Ninja'd by Hikaru

Yeah, that was a pushy statement, but it's still not 'dragged along'. She still choose to come along with Aang anyway. Even before she got on Appa the next day, she knew it was going to be a field trip, and mostly for the acolytes. Again, he was explaining as much as he could on the way there, which included the ritual of bowing in front of the statue. She didn't seem to have a problem with it then.

^The problem is that he never explained anything because he has no explanation. She told asked him multiple times for a reason but he couldn't give one. Don't you think it's rather silly to do something that's uncomfortable for someone without a reason? He doesn't know what instruments they were supposed to play and he doesn't know why. He doesn't even know if they were supposed to play instruments or if the adults did that to make kids shut up.

When she actually stated she was uncomfortable, he backed off, even interrupting Katara when she tried to intervene. And that was followed by an unwarranted insult on the holiday.

There was no indication he didn't know which instruments to play. The only thing he wasn't sure of was why they bowed to the statue.
But even after the bowing ritual, Toph continued to throw a tantrum about the traditions.  She purposely ruined one acolytes symbols just because she didn't like the music, which she knew would occur before hand.  At that point she has an attitude of 'if I don't like this, none of you are allowed to like it either.'
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2014 10:14 am »

There was no indication he didn't know which instruments to play.
She kept asking about the point but Aang always ignored her. That doesn't sound to me like "I know what I'm doing.". Besides, you make such a big deal out of it, she's a metal bender, she can repair it within an instant. It's not like everyone else enjoyed the sound, air acolytes were happy about the festival and the rest most likely didn't care either way. A few pages before he says that inner peace is the most important for AN and admits that he doesn't know who the statue is. Toph even calls him out on it and he ignores it again. So if Toph's inner peace is disturbed by that single sound, it's very hypocritical of Aang to push it forward. NOT TO MENTION that the cymbals AREN'T AN traditional instruments! If you look few pages back, not only did the air acolyte bring her own cymbals, the picture of AN going down the road doesn't include ANY cymbals and in that picture (when she shows it off) everyone was annoyed by the sound.

Long story short: Toph only asked for explanation which Aang wasn't able to give because he was too busy fooling around before. She metalbended (which means she can easily repair it) the cymbals that weren't traditional AN instruments just that single girl brought them. Also, the cymbals were clearly bothering everyone so it's not like Toph was the only one annoyed.

Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2014 10:27 am »

She did not. She asked about the point *once*, at a point where it was already established he didn't know everything behind the rituals. Why does it matter if the cymbals could be repaired? The fact she did it at all is very disrespectful, of the traditions of those around her.  Aang is continuing on because this celebration is about the air nomads and the acolytes, not her.  Toph had the option of hanging back far enough so the music wouldn't bother her, but she didn't take that option.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: