May 22, 2019 05:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #7] The Rift, Part 1  (Read 57300 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Jul 31, 2013 06:31 am »

It has been announced that The Rift, Part 1 will be released on 5th March 2014.

The Rift is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of The Rift and other future comics, please see  The Rift Part 1 - Speculation and Future Avatar Comics.

Unlocked. Discuss only after you have read the book! Speculation for The Rift Part 1 goes into speculation thread.

Official reviews (not member reviews) goes into the official reviews thread.

Have fun discussing (remember to RESPECT all opinions) but please remember to abide by the forum rules and guidelines on criticism (NO OUTRIGHT BASHING). Remember, NO MENTIONING of illegal downloads/viewing of the comic. Not even Tumblr or YouTube.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2014 03:40 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm »

Picked up my copy as soon as the comic store opened. The interaction between Toph and Aang wasn't as bad as I feared, but it's still pretty bad.  It's one thing to refrain from another's practices, it's quite another to rain on their parade. Leave it to Toph to take Aang's culture and make it all about her. Aang was pretty patient to put up with it all.

The introduction of the refinery was interesting. It's nice to see Aang continuing his lessons to the acolytes.

The one thing I disliked most is the brief appearance of the Rough Rhino's. It was unnecessary and added nothing to the plot. So they found jobs as security at a refinery. Big Whoop.  We don't need to see what became of every minor character that appeared in the series.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2014 01:25 pm »

^Out of curiosity, how much of a (for lack of better word) brat was Toph being on scale of 1 to 10 (ten being the highest)?

Did we learn anything about Yangchen and the statue lady?

I'm not planning on buy the comics so you can spoil me away.
Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2014 01:40 pm »

I'd say nine.  Refusing to bow to the statue was expected, but it was more then that. She started insulting the entire custom itself. On musical hike to the valley she bent the metal chimes one of the acolytes were playing because the music wasn't to her liking.  And when Katara pointed out that they were doing this because it was important to Aang, she got even more hostile, commenting that if it went unobserved for a hundred years and the world didn't end, how important could it possibly be?

Basically, she acted as if the entire thing was a personal insult to her.

We didn't learn much about Yanchen yet. She was appearing to Aang as visions several times, but saying nothing. And Aang got a vision of a giant angry spirit destroying something, which could be the focus of the next chapter.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2014 02:00 pm »

That bad, huh?

I kind of saw it coming on the whole disrespecting Aang's culture, but it does kind of sound like she was being a self-centered brat. Just because she doesn't understand or disagree with the customs it doesn't give her the right to act like a bully. Now It does make me wonder if Aang does call her out at some point because everyone has a limit before they snap. Even the patient ones have limits.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2014 02:53 pm »

So basically Toph is acting like Toph...sounds to me like Gene has her character down perfectly.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Nebulagate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014 02:55 pm »

in character or not it's still bad behavior. 
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2014 03:15 pm »

So because Toph's parents didn't take the time to explain the importance of traditions to her, she's going to rebel by raining on her friend's culture? A culture that was on the brink of death at that? Really mature.  Roll Eyes    

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2014 03:22 pm »

No worries, the Toph lovers are probably trying to explain her bullcrap as I'm writing this.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2014 03:31 pm »

Its understandable to question why things are done the way they are, but sounds like she's just acting like a brat who didn't get her way.   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2014 04:38 pm »

in character or not it's still bad behavior. 

Yeah, but you can't really blame Gene for it because well...that is what her character is like.

Its understandable to question why things are done the way they are, but sounds like she's just acting like a brat who didn't get her way.   

That's what she always acts like. We are talking about the girl who's first scene in the series was her being beaten by Aang in a fight and then proceeded to huff and puff while stomping off. Yeah, Aang technically cheated but she didn't know that at the time. All she knew was that she lost and then she stomped away like a five year old.

No worries, the Toph lovers are probably trying to explain her bullcrap as I'm writing this.

I'm honestly surprised that hasn't happened already.

I hope Aang calls her out on it though...or at least Katara. Just somebody. And hopefully this trilogy will give Toph some very much needed character development into a more mature girl. That's long overdue.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2014 07:10 pm »

I'd say nine.  Refusing to bow to the statue was expected, but it was more then that. She started insulting the entire custom itself. On musical hike to the valley she bent the metal chimes one of the acolytes were playing because the music wasn't to her liking.  And when Katara pointed out that they were doing this because it was important to Aang, she got even more hostile, commenting that if it went unobserved for a hundred years and the world didn't end, how important could it possibly be?

What gripping and profound character conflict.

*yawn*

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2014 05:43 am »

So. We are supposed to like this obnoxious jerk who ruin her friend's festival because of her parents ?
Toph isn't the kindest person in the Gaang but this level of asshollery is OOC even for her.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2014 06:01 am »

It saddens me to read this much negative opinions on Toph. But I really do not understand how Toph made a connection from her parent problems to Aang's culture. I'm interested on what triggered it. I'm not going to call her a jerk when I haven't read the comic yet, but I do not like where it's going -_-

Toph hates rules. She disliked to live in a world when she needs to follow somebody or take orders from anyone. Therefore she is not a very traditional person. I can understand and it's totally in character to dislike Air Nomad culture. But she knows how that topic is complicated for Aang. I just don't like it that she would be so mean about people who died in the war. Maybe her parents treated her worse than what we were shown? And something in Air Nomad culture made her remember that.

Heeeh, so what, "Toph lovers" have no intellect to tell apart what is bad and good? -_-

This reminds me of the Korra hate back in Book 2 start. While I understood her mood, she didn't came across as nice there. But she had all the reasons to be a jerk at her father and Tenzin, it's just that Mako got caught up in the mess. So her attitude was understandable, but I also think a lot of people exaggerated the jerk part. She was no where near bad. Anyway, I hope Toph is just as understandable to me as Korra. But seriously, Gene is doing this again? Did he learn nothing from the Promise?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2014 06:08 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2014 08:06 am »

It saddens me to read this much negative opinions on Toph.

I don't hate Toph but those that have read my posts about her know I'm not her biggest fan. I actually find it refreshing that people are finally taking issue with her attitude instead of going, "OMG best character ever!" Grin

I can understand and it's totally in character to dislike Air Nomad culture. But she knows how that topic is complicated for Aang. I just don't like it that she would be so mean about people who died in the war.

Keep in mind this is the same character that took Aang's glider, one of the only things left of his people, and banged it around just because it amused her that he wasn't standing up to her. It's not like trashing Aang's culture and disregarding his feelings about it is new.

This reminds me of the Korra hate back in Book 2 start. While I understood her mood, she didn't came across as nice there. But she had all the reasons to be a jerk at her father and Tenzin, it's just that Mako got caught up in the mess. So her attitude was understandable, but I also think a lot of people exaggerated the jerk part. She was no where near bad. Anyway, I hope Toph is just as understandable to me as Korra. But seriously, Gene is doing this again? Did he learn nothing from the Promise?

I agree with you on Korra. I thought her behavior was completely understandable. I hate to just hate on Toph but to me, her behavior has almost never been understandable so I'm not really expecting it to be here either.

I can't comment more until I read the comic for myself (which probably won't be till Monday) but to me it just sounds like Toph is acting like Toph. Yeah, she's a great earthbender and she has a lot of funny lines but her character has always been bratty and inconsiderate. It's just part of who she is. I personally am not surprised by any of this. I expected it actually. It doesn't sound OOC to me at all.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2014 08:07 am »

Discuss after you have personally read the comic instead of doing it based on what someone else read... It's clearly stated in the first post.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2014 03:17 pm »

Toph is definitely one of my favorites, but I thought she was rather harsh towards Aang.  Aang defends himself, though passive-aggressively.  They do apologize later on. 

What surprised me most were how LoK technological advances and fashions cropped up so early.  There were automated forklifts in the refinery.  There were less traditional ways of dressing than we saw in AtLA.  None of this is a bad thing!  I didn't expect to see it so soon.
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2014 05:06 pm »

That bad, huh?

I kind of saw it coming on the whole disrespecting Aang's culture, but it does kind of sound like she was being a self-centered brat. Just because she doesn't understand or disagree with the customs it doesn't give her the right to act like a bully. Now It does make me wonder if Aang does call her out at some point because everyone has a limit before they snap. Even the patient ones have limits.

This all actually sounds exactly like Toph to me. Maybe it's because the fandom idol-worships her a lot, but I feel like people forget what an immature brat she really is. Don't get me wrong -- all of the characters have their flaws and strengths, including Toph. I just feel like Toph's strengths AND flaws are perhaps more accented because of her personality, but people overlook the flaws more because she's funny and tough or something.

But seriously, girl's got issues. Not without reason, of course, but what I find most fascinating about her that no one ever calls her out on is that Toph has family issues -- but still HAS a freaking family. They were overbearing because they wanted to protect her -- misguided as that may be, it IS still affection and caring from its source. Everyone else in the Gaang (and most characters in the story) lost their family members or lots of people, and some were even betrayed by people they trusted. All Toph lost was her independence and freedom, which she takes for herself. In that regard, I kind of liked that Zuko blew her off in the finale, though I'd have been more blunt about it.

On the other hand, Toph's was the only character arc that never felt like it resolved. Aang rose up to his duties as the Avatar. Zuko confronted his family. Katara dealt with her mother's death and her killer. Sokka dealt with his insecurities of not being a bender and developed useful skills. But Toph just sort of settled her differences with Katara, admitted she had a problem with her parents, and then it was left unresolved. Which I hope the Rift will be about her sorting out a bit more clearly -- especially if Aang is going to help her, because what RedRose just described is something we saw happen once or twice in the show (Aang snapping back at her). I like seeing Aang building up backbone and defending himself against her, and her exposing more of her softer side toward him/the Gaang. It shows mutual growth, and the characters bouncing off of each other and making each other more balanced people all around.

What gripping and profound character conflict.

*yawn*

To be fair, this is just Book 1 of three. To be even more fair, this is also a book series intended for middle-schoolers, and getting them into reading comics (a specific cause I know Gene is about), sooo...they're only going to get so complex. The show had a more broad audience by Book 2 and the writing went to darker places (Ba Sing Se being my favorite, I think), but these books probably won't go to places so complex. I'm sure Nick wants to keep their kid-friendly brand friendly, akin to Nintendo and its franchises.

The tricky part is that I really think the most effective way to escalate this social conflict would to indeed have Aang really lash BACK for a change. Really express in blunt words how inconsiderate Toph is, without actually having any good reason to be (like I cited above, everyone else basically has it worse off than her, yet she's the biggest brat). My assumption would be that, when confronted with that kind of situation, Toph would do what she was initially going to do back when the Gaang first took her in -- be a 'runaway.' Toph ironically likes to stir crap and be pushy, but is actually really not at all good at resolving interpersonal conflicts, and instead dismisses them with "...Whatever" and has a huff and hides in her little tent.

I would assume that Book 2 of this set will end with an actual 'rift' between them, and Book 3 might be about Toph actually confronting her parents, and then from there making up with Aang.

To be clear, Katara and Toph are my favorite Avatar characters, and my favorite to write. My criticisms of Toph's characters are NOT insults to her so much as expressions of how she has untapped character development, which was what got me into the fandom to start off with. It's Toph's internal flaws, rooted and built on realistic family issues, which get expressed through her brash actions, that make her interesting to me. Gene Yang's original works have often tapped into this "you must eat your bitterness / respect your elders" aspect of Chinese upbringing, and I have a distinct feeling he's looking to bring some of that into Toph's background because it's perhaps something he personally relates with.

On a more light-hearted note, the bit where Aang was like, "I know what it's like to have a crush on someone, it can blind --" got a chuckle from me.

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
plastroncafe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plastronc
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2014 06:21 pm »

While I find Toph's behavior eye-rollingly obnoxious, the girl has a point.
Going through the motions without understanding, or wanting to understand, why those motions are important in the first place makes no sense. I think she's right for questioning Aang, and his desire to recreate a ritual without understanding the underpinnings of said ritual. It'd be one thing if he knew why they were doing what they're doing, but he doesn't and that's hardly the solid foundation needed for the Air Nomad Culture's return to the world.

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2014 06:26 pm »

~Spoilers~

I just finished reading it. It was far better than what people were claiming it to be. Exaggerations.

I think I enjoyed this comic more than The Search and The Promise. The art has gotten a lot better. And I'm interested in Yangchen mystery. Also finally, Toph found her father. Next volume is going to be very, very interesting.

Satoru seems to be a Toph fanboy, I didn't expect that, lol. He was ignoring Aang, while fanboying over Toph. Not sure how to feel about his character yet.
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2014 08:38 pm »

^^Yeah, I almost expected Toph to fawn over him, not the other way around.  Then again, this is Toph we're talking about.  I can't see her reacting like that towards anyone. 
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2014 09:25 pm »

Just read it as well, it doesn't focus on Toph all that much and all accusations about her character are exaggerated, like what Furudo Erika said.

Satoru is hot. Not gonna lie. XD

Nice to see where the metalbender cop uniform originates from.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2014 09:30 pm »

To be even more fair, this is also a book series intended for middle-schoolers, and getting them into reading comics (a specific cause I know Gene is about), sooo...they're only going to get so complex.

And yet "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" tells a good story, intended for kids (not even preteens), that still manages to be a profound character study and compelling drama. And that's not even getting into stuff like "Bone."

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2014 09:30 pm »

I don't like that Toph is referring to her Father as well Father. In the show she called him Dad, which as we all know is an informal, yet personal way most usually address their parents. Addressing them as Mother or Father is usually seen as being formal and a little distant, in my opinion anyway. Also not sure that I like the Rough Rhinos working as security guards, people want Azula's blood, okay. But at least the people she attempted to kill were  more than able to fight back and were active enemies. Unlike the poor villagers these marauding murderers killed all in the name of "glory". I'd like a graphic novel that was for older audiences that would have maybe a little vigilantism against them, but not glorifying it either.
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2014 11:06 pm »

Satoru is hot. Not gonna lie. XD

That's what I'm sayin'.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: