Nov 20, 2019 01:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rift Part 1 - Speculation (NO SPOILERS!) [Expected 5 March'14]  (Read 72711 times)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #425 on: Mar 02, 2014 05:43 pm »

Maybe Yangchen wears an orange wedding dress while SLF is a bride in white? 
Maybe they both will have something different since white wedding dresses are a modern thing and contrary to popular belief, there's no meaning behind the colour.

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #426 on: Mar 02, 2014 08:21 pm »

Does anyone wish for Toph to reconcile with her parents in this story? Sure, she may have written a letter to them in the series but would she talk to them face to face after a year or two? How do her parents feel about her? Do they regret how they raised Toph? Are they still stubborn or have they disowned her because they are embarrassed (it does happen in noble families).

Whatever the case is I hope it's addressed since we are going to learn about Toph in this comic and possibly Book 3 since Lin is her daughter.

I really want them to finally address this as well. I think it's been more than enough time. And more importantly than anything else, of course, is that Hawky needs to be returned to Sokka.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #427 on: Mar 02, 2014 08:46 pm »

Apparently Toph's parents will have some sort of role in the story so I'd like to see her reconcile with them as well.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #428 on: Mar 03, 2014 12:20 am »

Wasn't it mentioned that Toph's parents were even investing into the EK-FN factory? If they're staying in Republic City, it might add a little more weight to the tradition vs. modern issue for Toph at least.

Maybe they both will have something different since white wedding dresses are a modern thing and contrary to popular belief, there's no meaning behind the colour.

That's a good point, if SLF turns out to be from one of the other nations, I imagine she will get married in her element's respective color palette.  

Sig by Guitarfreak.
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #429 on: Mar 03, 2014 12:54 am »

I have been pretty luke-warm on the comics as a whole. I don't hate them like some folks do, but I also don't really love them a lot, either. I like them well enough, but I also feel like they're not living up to their potential so far. They have fantastic artwork, and the writing has the same tone as the show, but the last two story arcs weren't really interesting and felt like they ran in circles a lot -- not to mention that they lack in character development, and Gene Yang seems to not really know what to do with Katara in particular, though he's gotten better at writing the cast over time. Not that much has been done with the main characters I care about in the first place (the Gaang; I'm not the biggest fan of Zuko and his family, honestly) and I never cared much about what happened to Ursa -- I'm just glad that it's finally been explored so now fans can stop making a fuss about it. If anyone bothers with that question, the answer is, "Go read the comics." They're fun comics with occasional moments that I love, though they are more decidedly written for the younger Avatar fans than the older ones.

Book 2 of Korra, however, disappointed me greatly (not all of it, but in general, as a season).
But The Rift actually has me actively excited about new Avatar canon, because seeing the characters grow over time and learn more about the gap between ATLA and LoK is very interesting to me. Most of all, it looks to have some solid character development for both Aang and Toph. I hope that in their impending disagreement and conflict, both of them have their values tested, learn from the other, and come out a little more grown up by the end of the set.

I suspect Satoru will be played as "oh, look, maybe it's Lin's dad" but it won't actually be confirmed or not by the end of The Rift. Not that I'm complaining if it is, I just don't expect it to happen. I have a feeling it'll be what some predicted -- he won't be a bad guy, he'll just make a mistake or a bad decision that he regrets, and will help to fix it. I kind of suspect that, like the previous comic, and Book 2 of Korra (and actually Book 1 of Korra, as well) the conflict will boil down to some unexplained deus ex machina plot device. But I really, really hope that it is, instead, more about Aang and Toph both making a meaningful choice.

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #430 on: Mar 03, 2014 02:31 pm »

Wasn't it mentioned that Toph's parents were even investing into the EK-FN factory? If they're staying in Republic City, it might add a little more weight to the tradition vs. modern issue for Toph at least.

That's a good point, if SLF turns out to be from one of the other nations, I imagine she will get married in her element's respective color palette.   

Did they say that the Bei-Fongs were involved?

Anyway, I still would like to see Toph reconcile with her parents. Remember, Toph ran away from home and it's almost safe to assume that she only written the one letter (Does Hawky even know where they live? There's still a chance that they didn't get it.). She even admitted the fact that she may hurt them by doing that. And knowing Toph, she's stubborn and doesn't know how to show affection properly.

As for her parents.....I don't know. This could go both ways for them. Either Toph running away gave them an eye opener and they reconcile with her, or they are still the same as they were the last time we saw them.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #431 on: Mar 03, 2014 06:29 pm »

I suspect Satoru will be played as "oh, look, maybe it's Lin's dad" but it won't actually be confirmed or not by the end of The Rift.

I'm pitching a fit if Toph isn't announcing a pregnancy on the last page of Part 3. And no, I don't care if the timeline doesn't at all work with LoK. Grin

D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #432 on: Mar 03, 2014 08:07 pm »

I definitely expect to see some form of reconciliation with Toph and her parents. I'd assume, just because these comics are more kid-oriented, it will be a positive resolution of conflict. But I'm just as open to a more permanent "rift" between them, as well.

That being said, I've found it bizarre that if she's on bad terms with her parents, she'd still keep using the name "Beifong" (ex. the academy name). So I've been running on the assumption that she still regrets how things panned out and wants to make her parents proud, but yea, like Fire Nose said, she's too stubborn and immature to express her feelings appropriately. In just a few days, we'll at least have the first part of this story -- I have a feeling it won't answer many questions so much as set up which questions we'll have answered in this story arc.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #433 on: Mar 03, 2014 09:47 pm »

I'm hoping Satoru is a villain. But if he isn't, I understand. Though however....

If Satoru is made into a secret villain, he acted the way he did in that preview page just to get on Aang's and Team Avatar's good side. He knows of Toph's metalbending, and he attempts to use her skills to create some kind of machine that'll cause trouble of some sort. In the process, she'll have some sort of feelings for him. However, he'll pretend to return the feelings until he's done using her for his benefit. She ends up with a broken heart until Sokka's there to comfort her telling her the same thing Aang told Roku. To end it all, they gaze at each other that's left for a "will they or won't they" cliffhanger! It's the perfect Tokka tease! Grin Grin Grin

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #434 on: Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm »

I definitely expect to see some form of reconciliation with Toph and her parents. I'd assume, just because these comics are more kid-oriented, it will be a positive resolution of conflict. But I'm just as open to a more permanent "rift" between them, as well.

That being said, I've found it bizarre that if she's on bad terms with her parents, she'd still keep using the name "Beifong" (ex. the academy name). So I've been running on the assumption that she still regrets how things panned out and wants to make her parents proud, but yea, like Fire Nose said, she's too stubborn and immature to express her feelings appropriately. In just a few days, we'll at least have the first part of this story -- I have a feeling it won't answer many questions so much as set up which questions we'll have answered in this story arc.

I had this theory a while about the possibility of Toph having skeletons in the closet for Book 3 since we're going to learn more about Lin and her family. Since we discovered that Aang wasn't a 100% good dad, maybe we discover Toph never did reconcile with her family completely. Like you said, Keeping her maiden name for herself and daughter may have been her way of showing regret and making amends, except that she didn't make an effort to do it face to face like an adult. By that I mean she writes a letter to them once in while or shows up for get-together's once every 5 years.
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #435 on: Mar 03, 2014 10:26 pm »

I'm hoping Satoru is a villain. But if he isn't, I understand. Though however....

If Satoru is made into a secret villain, he acted the way he did in that preview page just to get on Aang's and Team Avatar's good side. He knows of Toph's metalbending, and he attempts to use her skills to create some kind of machine that'll cause trouble of some sort. In the process, she'll have some sort of feelings for him. However, he'll pretend to return the feelings until he's done using her for his benefit. She ends up with a broken heart until Sokka's there to comfort her telling her the same thing Aang told Roku. To end it all, they gaze at each other that's left for a "will they or won't they" cliffhanger! It's the perfect Tokka tease! Grin Grin Grin

Up until the Tokka tease, I could see all of that happening, and is basically what I suspect -- and the lack of Tokka tease would be because they're actually doing a Sukka-themed spinoff issue for Free Comic Day.

@Fire Rose
Yea, I like that idea -- that's basically what my fanfic 'Esteemed' is about: this idea that Toph put on a big show and stuff to bolster her reputation and her title (because that's who Toph is, she likes to brag and assert dominance to compensate for feeling unloved or uncared for or belittled as a child) but secretly dealt with a lot of skeletons, from a complicated relationship with Sokka, to just not knowing how to function as a mother for Lin, to dealing with Yakone's gang breaking him out of jail, to interpersonal conflicts with Avatar Aang (which The Rift looks like it'll have), etc.

I actually really loved the implication that Aang wasn't perfect, but at times it felt overboard -- like his own kids hated him or something, which felt...not in alignment with the person Aang was. I could, however, see Lin having a complicated relationship with Toph as her mother. Here's hoping Book 3 explores that, I suppose, if it can actually balance it well!

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #436 on: Mar 04, 2014 03:32 am »

That being said, I've found it bizarre that if she's on bad terms with her parents, she'd still keep using the name "Beifong" (ex. the academy name). So I've been running on the assumption that she still regrets how things panned out and wants to make her parents proud, but yea, like Fire Nose said, she's too stubborn and immature to express her feelings appropriately.
Why should she not use her name just because she's on bad terms with her parents? It's her name and her family is a big deal in Ba Sing Se so I don't understand why she can't be proud of that name. Why is she still using the name Toph? That is the name her parents gave her and not something inherited. Not using the name would be childish because the name has far greater history than just her parents so I don't see how it implies anything. But I agree that in the end she'll reconcile with them (although I hope she'll still keep her distance from them) because this is still aimed at kids and everything needs a happy ending.

D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #437 on: Mar 04, 2014 06:06 am »

Why should she not use her name just because she's on bad terms with her parents? It's her name and her family is a big deal in Ba Sing Se so I don't understand why she can't be proud of that name. Why is she still using the name Toph? That is the name her parents gave her and not something inherited. Not using the name would be childish because the name has far greater history than just her parents so I don't see how it implies anything. But I agree that in the end she'll reconcile with them (although I hope she'll still keep her distance from them) because this is still aimed at kids and everything needs a happy ending.
It's not that she still uses the name -- it's her name. That's part of her identity. (Also, when do people ever change their FIRST name due to family stuff? Last name I've seen many times, including within my own family, but never first name) I'm not saying Toph would or should not go by "Beifong" because she's disconnected from her family, which is what seems to be the case. I've only really seen people change first names due to things like transexuality or moving across cultures (a Chinese student adopting an English name for themselves, for ex.).

It's that she'd slap that name on her SCHOOL. Her academy, her own domain, this thing she's managing about a bending art she invented while trying to AVOID seeing her parents. She could've called it something unrelated to her name. Like the Jasmine Dragon isn't directly related to the Fire Nation royal family in any way. But she didn't -- she used her family name. Which is weird to me IF she is on actively bad terms with them. But in that same vein, it implies to me a desire for reconciliation. A desire to carry on that family name and make the family proud, perhaps, which could be kind of a big deal, because Toph is actually a very childish, self-centered character (at least at the age she is in ATLA and the comics) who's had certain core aspects of a 'normal' childhood robbed from her, leaving her in a very weird emotional/mental place compared to most kids her age. So her actually actively putting the image and mascot and logo of her family -- who has mistreated her and whom she's broken off from -- all over what she's doing is kind of an intriguing detail of her character...Sometimes it's just because she's leeching off of that family name for her benefit (like at the station in Book 2 with her ticket), which COULD be the case with the school...but we don't really know.

I just find it to be an interesting topic, I suppose. I anticipate that The Rift will shed some more light on the matter.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #438 on: Mar 04, 2014 07:08 am »

Reminder that when this comic is released, NO SPOILERS are allowed in this thread for the benefit of those who have not read the comic. This thread will remain open for a month after the official release and locked after that. If you wish to discuss about the comic after reading it, do so in this thread instead.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2014 07:11 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #439 on: Mar 04, 2014 10:01 am »

It's not that she still uses the name -- it's her name. That's part of her identity. (Also, when do people ever change their FIRST name due to family stuff? Last name I've seen many times, including within my own family, but never first name) I'm not saying Toph would or should not go by "Beifong" because she's disconnected from her family, which is what seems to be the case. I've only really seen people change first names due to things like transexuality or moving across cultures (a Chinese student adopting an English name for themselves, for ex.).

It's that she'd slap that name on her SCHOOL. Her academy, her own domain, this thing she's managing about a bending art she invented while trying to AVOID seeing her parents. She could've called it something unrelated to her name. Like the Jasmine Dragon isn't directly related to the Fire Nation royal family in any way. But she didn't -- she used her family name. Which is weird to me IF she is on actively bad terms with them. But in that same vein, it implies to me a desire for reconciliation. A desire to carry on that family name and make the family proud, perhaps, which could be kind of a big deal, because Toph is actually a very childish, self-centered character (at least at the age she is in ATLA and the comics) who's had certain core aspects of a 'normal' childhood robbed from her, leaving her in a very weird emotional/mental place compared to most kids her age. So her actually actively putting the image and mascot and logo of her family -- who has mistreated her and whom she's broken off from -- all over what she's doing is kind of an intriguing detail of her character...Sometimes it's just because she's leeching off of that family name for her benefit (like at the station in Book 2 with her ticket), which COULD be the case with the school...but we don't really know.

I just find it to be an interesting topic, I suppose. I anticipate that The Rift will shed some more light on the matter.
You missed my point. Her name has a great history. She has every right to be proud of it. AtLA isn't set in our time, having a surname means being very influential and having some relation with royalty either at that point or in past. Being proud of her surname doesn't mean being proud of her parents, it means being proud of her family's history. So her parents were selfish and messed up that doesn't take away any achievements her family had in past. I don't understand why she can't be proud of it and be her own person without looking for some sort of approval. Actually, when you think about that Lin is still Beifong, Toph seems to be really proud of her family. Toph is the name that ties to her parents, not Beifong. Beifong is the name that ties to Ba Sing Se itself.

D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #440 on: Mar 05, 2014 03:09 am »

Yes, I am missing your point because you're citing something that...I'm not sure exists? Can you give examples of what you're talking about?

I guess I'm confused because where are you getting that the Beifongs have a "great history?"
They're rich, and thus well-known. That's...basically it. Outside of that, what do we know about them?

Oh, well...We know that they hid their own daughter's existence from the world. And hired a couple of men to stalk their own daughter across the country and take her back home.

Toph's desire to make herself known as a Beifong likely isn't only connected to something abstract like her family's heritage. Toph isn't a very abstract person, and especially at the age of 13 or 14, I just don't see her caring one way or the other about something like that. She's proud of her own accomplishments, for sure, but what about being a "Beifong" in particular does she have to be proud about?

I'm very curious if the Rift and Book 3 of Korra will go into this, perhaps. For all we know, Toph might have reconciled with her parents, and they might have used their wealth to help bolster the beginnings of Republic City, or fund Toph's school, which evolved into a police force, etc. Those could certainly be defined reasons for pride in her family, but...at this juncture, it's more like an abstract idea, whereas her relationship with her parents is more clear and direct.

I get the impression with the plot summary stuff about a factory or whatever that Toph's parents are involved in that somehow, which would be a convenient but sensible way for her to actually have to deal with that unresolved situation. Smiley

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #441 on: Mar 05, 2014 04:11 am »

I'm going to say what no one else wants to: Satoru is cute. I demand that he be immediately added to the guy poll so I can vote for him. Or, I would, but that would mean removing my votes from the Aang/Sokka/Zuko ATLA straight flush I've been maintaining for months.

Ahhh, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, on to slightly less important matters, I'm willing to bet that Satoru was the one who gave Sato the loan. So I wouldn't be surprised if Sato took on (a portion of) his name in honor of him. Also, whoever suggested that Satoru is the one causing problems, I partially agree, although I can see him being a helpful obstacle.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #442 on: Mar 05, 2014 06:04 am »

Yes, I am missing your point because you're citing something that...I'm not sure exists? Can you give examples of what you're talking about?

I guess I'm confused because where are you getting that the Beifongs have a "great history?"
They're rich, and thus well-known. That's...basically it. Outside of that, what do we know about them?
Because I'm basing it on our history? In past, surnames existed as proof of close relations with the royalty. Either the family helped the king out financially or got rich by being loyal to the king, etc. In each case, the family was either close financially to the king or had some past relationship with the king. Considering that Toph is clearly proud of her family name (her school, her daughter and possibly her husband have it) she seems to be proud of what the name represents. Whether it means that their family helped build Ba Sing Se or someone was married to royalty or they were simply so good with money, it seems like it has been in far past because her name wasn't recognised on the royal ball. Saying they were just rich makes no sense because the money has to come from somewhere. Her name is a big deal in Ba Sing Se so using it as a name for her school gives her more credibility because surname means it's someone important. Still, her surname has nothing to do with her parents, they simply inherited it.

D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #443 on: Mar 06, 2014 05:15 pm »

I'm going to say what no one else wants to: Satoru is cute. I demand that he be immediately added to the guy poll so I can vote for him. Or, I would, but that would mean removing my votes from the Aang/Sokka/Zuko ATLA straight flush I've been maintaining for months.

Ahhh, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, on to slightly less important matters, I'm willing to bet that Satoru was the one who gave Sato the loan. So I wouldn't be surprised if Sato took on (a portion of) his name in honor of him. Also, whoever suggested that Satoru is the one causing problems, I partially agree, although I can see him being a helpful obstacle.

If I found guys attractive, I would probably say something to that effect. =P There are girls in the comics that seem cute, but I suspect they're all younger than Satoru. xD

@Hikaru
I get what you're saying, but you're still missing MY point: everything you're saying is based on assumption and implication.

What I'm interested in is what the actual story has expressed. Which is nothing concrete. We have no idea where the Beifongs got their money from. We have no idea just how prominent they actually are, though if we knew where their wealth came from, we'd have a better idea.

What we do know is that Toph's parents are rich and hyper-protective to the point of not even letting people know they have a kid in the first place.

I agree with your logic and all, I'm just saying that nothing has been backed up by canon. It is, of course, speculation -- which is what this thread is about. Wink Maybe the Rift will shed more light on the Beifong name -- and if not, perhaps Book 3 of Korra? Everyone seems to be assuming that Book 3 will be big on Beifong history for some reason, which I'm skeptical about, but I'm sure we'll learn something noteworthy, at least.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #444 on: Mar 06, 2014 05:45 pm »

^Same goes for your theory though. How is it backed up by anything that she wants to make her parents proud? I still say that keeping her name says nothing about her relationship with parents especially when HAVING a surname means having a very long history. How many people do you know that changed their name because their parents were selfishly overprotective? I simply fail to see the connection of her surname to her parents other than they inherited it just like her. It's her name and she has every right to be proud of it even if not everyone who had it was a good person. She also used her name to get free tickets which was very soon after she ran away. Do you think that at that point she wanted to make her parents proud too or was happy about being their child? No, she simply got the best of what she had and was proud of her name. She even expected it to let her inside royal ball. If that doesn't scream pride, I don't know what does. You may disagree with me but to me it simply feels like she's proud of whatever that name means to her regardless what her parents did.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014 04:24 pm by HikaruIzumi » Logged

Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #445 on: Mar 19, 2014 03:10 pm »

^I agree. Toph is more peeved at Lao and Poppy, not Lao and Poppy BeiFong. I think its okay to assume Toph can differentiate between her feelings for her parents, and her family name.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: