Nov 12, 2019 02:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rift Part 1 - Speculation (NO SPOILERS!) [Expected 5 March'14]  (Read 72661 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« on: Jul 24, 2013 06:27 pm »

The next comic trilogy will be titled: The Rift.

The new trilogy shifts its focus back to Aang and the building of Republic City -- now well known to "Legend of Korra" watchers. Though it was too early in the process to talk specifics, Yang said he was looking forward to return to some of the core "Avatar" cast after spending time away in the Fire Nation for the currently running "The Search." "That story felt like a story of the Fire Nation royal family. The core relationships are Zuko, his sister and his mom. Those are the relationships we wanted to explore all the way through, so how we thought about it was, "if these are the core relationships, how do the other characters reflect what's going on there?" That's why we only touch a little bit on things like Sokka and Katara's relationship."

In particular, the writer is aiming at a larger role for his favored cast member. "What happened to me is that as I watched the show, Zuko was my favorite character, but now that I'm writing it, it's Toph. I mean, I liked Toph before, but now I love Toph," he said. "We're trying to keep the focus on the characters. We want to talk about the world in relation to the characters, so what we learn about the world will always be filtered through their eyes. Aang and Toph will be the center of this one. I missed having Toph in 'The Search!'"

More description released:

Gene Luen Yang (W), Michael Dante DiMartino (W), Bryan Konietzko (W), and Gurihiru (A/Cover)

Avatar Aang asks his friends to help him honor Yangchen's Festival -- one of the highest Air Nomad holidays, which hasn't been celebrated in over one hundred years.

But cryptic visits from the spirit of Avatar Yangchen herself lead Aang to discover a jointly owned Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom refinery -- operating on land sacred to the Airbenders! Is this the cause of the pollution Aang finds there, or is a more mysterious menace afoot?

Here's the news link on ASN, and here's the official announcement.

My thoughts:

1. Aw, no Mai.
2. Yay, no Zuko.
3. Oh gosh, Gene Yang is doing politics again.

---

This thread is for speculation only. A review thread will be set up in due time. For questions on release dates and buying the books, please see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For discussing possible future projects, see Future Avatar Comics.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2014 07:08 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2013 06:39 pm »

1. Aw, no Mai.

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2013 06:40 pm »

It's so obvious the rift is either gonna be:

Between Toph and her parents
Between Suki and Sokka
An actual dimensional rift
LOL something among the citizens that we really has no foundation

But at least no Zuko. Of course that means that rebellion story is gonna be 2 years from now.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2013 06:44 pm »

Between Suki and Sokka

Yeah, my money is on the last one. :|

I'm trying to think up a way for Azula to be involved, possibly as a villain, but I'm not really coming up with anything worthwhile or plausible.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:00 pm »

Between Suki and Sokka

But at least no Zuko. Of course that means that rebellion story is gonna be 2 years from now.

Uh, if Suki were there then you best believe Zuko is going to be.

I'm not seeing any signs of strong politics in this series yet and I really don't care as much since I wasn't very offended by the politics in The Promise. But then I always felt that Roku was wrong for shooting down Sozin's wish to expand the Fire Nation's influence to begin with.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:04 pm »

Well, then you should be fine when The Rift inevitably portrays Aang as a racist milquetoast who doesn't care about human rights.

I wonder if Toph is like that, too.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013 09:00 pm by Loopy » Logged

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:05 pm »

Well, they you should be fine with The Rift inevitably portrays Aang as a racist milquetoast who doesn't care about human rights.

This whole world has always been kinda racist

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:27 pm »

Between Suki and Sokka

Why he's oblivious towards the entire thing

I'm not seeing any signs of strong politics in this series yet and I really don't care as much since I wasn't very offended by the politics in The Promise. But then I always felt that Roku was wrong for shooting down Sozin's wish to expand the Fire Nation's influence to begin with.

What the Earth would look like with Fire Nation influence:
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013 07:34 pm by NoName999 » Logged

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:32 pm »

Well, they you should be fine with The Rift inevitably portrays Aang as a racist milquetoast who doesn't care about human rights.

Let's be fair, Loopy. Aang is an ultranationalist milquetoast who doesn't care about human rights. Zuko's the racist guy.

Given the crime-ridden slum wracked by vast disparities in wealth that Lin seems to have inherited from her mother, Toph is a libertarian.
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:35 pm »

Between Suki and Sokka

What the Earth would look like with Fire Nation influence:
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/picture_this/public/2012/06/06/279574-venus-transit-2012.jpg

Had Roku not been so against race mixing, the whole Earth Kingdom could have looked like this:

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:43 pm »

SoF, the Earth Kingdom wouldn't look like that.

In imperialism, the mother country takes all the money/resources/power from the host country. Said citizens in host country are treated as 2nd class in their own land with little freedom and even littler pay. And no, they were denied the privileged of modernization. So even if the EK looked like that under Fire Nation rule, only Fire Nation citizens would enjoy the technology. Any Earth Kingdom citizens would be living off worse than Gommu

Unless you think the Native Americans actually got a semi-decent deal out of all of this.

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:44 pm »

I think the Rift is between Aang and Toph, I don't know what about, that is my prediction.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:52 pm »

Well once again, we have a cover image that gives us a whole lot to chew on.
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:54 pm »

In imperialism, the mother country takes all the money/resources/power from the host country. Said citizens in host country are treated as 2nd class in their own land with little freedom and even littler pay. And no, they were denied the privileged of modernization. So even if the EK looked like that under Fire Nation rule, only Fire Nation citizens would enjoy the technology. Any Earth Kingdom citizens would be living off worse than Gommu

Unless you think the Native Americans actually got a semi-decent deal out of all of this.

Not the most apt comparison, although I agree with your wider point. The way the FN colonized the EK was more akin to the Japanese treatment of Korea, or the French in Vietnam. Less total extermination, more fomenting a loyal ruling class over a conquered populace with a few settlements here and there.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2013 07:57 pm »

I agree with the sentiment behind this.  I want something artsier and less generic as a cover.  The covers just seem like they're going to more effort than necessary to make group pictures and they don't reflect the plot at all.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:02 pm »

So who's the statue in the background?

Is that a female..? It's not Roku, that's for sure.

Zorkel567
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:05 pm »

I'm excited that this has been announced anyways. I caught up on the three Promise volumes and the Search Part 1 over the last couple weeks, and now I just finished The Search Part 2. Excited to see what else comes out of this series, as I have been really enjoying it.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:07 pm »

I agree with the sentiment behind this.  I want something artsier and less generic as a cover.  The covers just seem like they're going to more effort than necessary to make group pictures and they don't reflect the plot at all.

I'd just love to know the brainstorming process behind these covers and how they keep arriving at the exact same thing.
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:33 pm »

i'm not very excited over this because this looks more like The Promise all over again. politics, politics, politics.....not Gene Yang's strongest point.

i think it is in this that we will find out if ever Sukka lasted....Or who Toph might eventually choose to father Lin....or reveal that Suki really is Honora's mother whut

EDIT: speaking of Sukka, why isn't Suki in the picture together with her you know, boyfriend? Sokka? i smell something fishy here  Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013 08:34 pm by fire nation spirit » Logged
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:36 pm »

Not the most apt comparison, although I agree with your wider point. The way the FN colonized the EK was more akin to the Japanese treatment of Korea, or the French in Vietnam. Less total extermination, more fomenting a loyal ruling class over a conquered populace with a few settlements here and there.

American colonialism is a completely different subject. Sozin's original wish was not to just take take land for the Fire Nation with only the Fire Nation's benefit in mind. His original idea was to enlighten and help the other races who he felt did not benefit from the prosperity of the FN but should. Sozin was very ruthless but I think his original ambitions were more altruistic in that he saw what his country had was great and good and just wanted to share it. He probably just became more radical as his ideas were met with boos and resistance because it was against tradition, but was unwilling to let it go (probably cause he had a bit of an ego).

But had Roku been more open to Sozin's ideas and more willing to mediate between Sozin and EK rulers than just shut down the whole idea altogether cause "Oh no, that would involve the races having to mix," a lot of lives could have been saved and the expansion could have brought a golden age of cultural and scientific revolution as far as this world was concerned.

Contrary to what some people think, Sozin didn't appear to show any belief in the superiority of the Fire Nation as a race or that what made them superior was their race. He was probably more concerned with spreading the culture of the Fire Nation and having everybody convert to it so they could be Fire Nation too. There's an issue though in that the races in the Avatar world are not only physically distinct from each other, but the story acknowledges that the spiritual qualities themselves between the races are different as well. The four races have different natures which is what allows for the manifestation of their own unique bending types that the other races cannot do.

I'm surprised people haven't seen how racial this series actually can be as a whole in that its inhabitants were separated because by virtue of each of their distinct races they are of a different nature from other humans of different races and thus each require a separate and unadulterated state of their own for peace and balance to be maintained and Avatar's job was considered by many to be to preserve what was in essence racial SEGREGATION. Sozin could probably be considered a misunderstood revolutionary in that he was basically saying it was possible for more than one race to coexist in peace and prosperity under the same state within a single universal culture, but everyone was like "Waaah! You're crazy! The races must remain segregated for there to be peace!"  Undecided

I agree with the sentiment behind this.  I want something artsier and less generic as a cover.  The covers just seem like they're going to more effort than necessary to make group pictures and they don't reflect the plot at all.

I'd just love to know the brainstorming process behind these covers and how they keep arriving at the exact same thing.

At least they're better than the Lost Scrolls covers.

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:42 pm »

EDIT: speaking of Sukka, why isn't Suki in the picture together with her you know, boyfriend? Sokka? i smell something fishy here  Tongue

Because she's never on these covers. lol

Stuff

If all that were true, why didn't the Fire Nation simply just promoted trade?

It doesn't help that the Fire Nation is just as racist. Oh and that Sozin committed genocide.

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:44 pm »

Ugh, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully since the comics seem to be getting a little better this will be the most tolerable yet. I mean it can't be any worse than The Promise... hopefully lol

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2013 08:50 pm »

American colonialism is a completely different subject. Sozin's original wish was not to just take take land for the Fire Nation with only the Fire Nation's benefit in mind. His original idea was to enlighten and help the other races who he felt did not benefit from the prosperity of the FN but should. Sozin was very ruthless but I think his original ambitions were more altruistic in that he saw what his country had was great and good and just wanted to share it. He probably just became more radical as his ideas were met with boos and resistance because it was against tradition, but was unwilling to let it go (probably cause he had a bit of an ego).

But had Roku been more open to Sozin's ideas and more willing to mediate between Sozin and EK rulers than just shut down the whole idea altogether cause "Oh no, that would involve the races having to mix," a lot of lives could have been saved and the expansion could have brought a golden age of cultural and scientific revolution as far as this world was concerned.

Contrary to what some people think, Sozin didn't appear to show any belief in the superiority of the Fire Nation as a race or that what made them superior was their race. He was probably more concerned with spreading the culture of the Fire Nation and having everybody convert to it so they could be Fire Nation too. There's an issue though in that the races in the Avatar world are not only physically distinct from each other, but the story acknowledges that the spiritual qualities themselves between the races are different as well. The four races have different natures which is what allows for the manifestation of their own unique bending types that the other races cannot do.

I'm surprised people haven't seen how racial this series actually can be as a whole in that its inhabitants were separated because by virtue of each of their distinct races they are of a different nature from other humans of different races and thus each require a separate and unadulterated state of their own for peace and balance to be maintained and Avatar's job was considered by many to be to preserve what was in essence racial SEGREGATION. Sozin could probably be considered a misunderstood revolutionary in that he was basically saying it was possible for more than one race to coexist in peace and prosperity under the same state within a single universal culture, but everyone was like "Waaah! You're crazy! The races must remain segregated for there to be peace!"  Undecided

You left out the part where exterminating the Air Nomads was a totally justifiable wartime measure, along with some talk about the Fire Nation's various genocides and whatnot was just the eggs one needs to break while making an omelet. Along with some stuff about how the Avatar was always holding back the world from an Industrial Revolution because they're a walking evil green aesop.

But other than that, SoF, that's definitely the most complete and glowing apologia I've seen for Sozin.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #23 on: Jul 24, 2013 09:00 pm »

So who's the statue in the background?

Is that a female..? It's not Roku, that's for sure.

Hard to tell, but I think that's a lady, any ideas what nation (s)he might hail from based on the clothing? 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2013 09:04 pm »

The hat looks familiar. I'm thinking something Earth Kingdom but the cold medication might be messing with my recall ability right now.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: