Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ASN's 2013 interview with Mike & Bryan  (Read 3755 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Untethered

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« on: Jul 15, 2013 09:01 am »

This has been in the works for a long time but we finally scored an interview with the creators themselves. The formatting is a bit off at the moment but it'll be neat once the cache clears up. Formatting issue settled. Please refresh to see the new formatted transcript. Also, this interview was sent in when "The Search" was just announced so some questions in this interview may or may not have been answered already. Nevertheless, there's still some new info revealed so discuss away! =D

Remember, please refrain from posting squeeing posts like "OMG an interview!!!" We know you're excited, we all are, but please have some substance in your post, ok?

Have fun. Smiley

In case anyone asks, I/we do not have M&B's email. Our PR director had to go through proper channels via Nick's PR. It's a lengthy process. Even if we did know, we won't tell you. M&B have enough on their plate as it is.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
Psycho Silver
Untethered

Icon and Sig by LeonsKennedy4815

« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2013 09:03 am »

I had a feeling that's how Amon's chi blocking worked. I'm glad I was right. I wonder if they'll do more with concepts like that.

I'm most interested in seeing where Bolin's story takes him, aside from the main plot with Korra.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Untethered

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2013 09:17 am »

For those who disliked the extended pro-bending saga, I suppose it's a relief for them to know that pro-bending won't be featured that much in the season.

I hope the story with Bolin is good.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
Ceibita
Untethered

=(^.^)=

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2013 09:33 am »

Wow, you really asked some great questions, and they weren't too dodgy about anwering them. With how rude and whiny the fanbase has been lately, thank you for this respectful interview.

アバターが好きだよ!
Fire Rose
Untethered

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2013 09:38 am »

At this point there's not much you can do with Pro-bending next season. I didn't hate it but I am glad that its taking a back seat.

I am looking forward to Bolin's arc because he really needs character development and he is the type who wants to figure out what his purpose in life is.

It's also nice to hear that Asami has moved on from her father and Mako and focusing on bigger problems than that. Now let's see how she runs the company because it's not going to be easy because she is young inexperienced. I do not want to see a perfect Asami again.

It's also nice to see that M&B are aware of the controversy in The Search but they seem to be assuring on the story having a resolution and possibly a hint on the whole you-know-what.

HaZardous
Untethered

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2013 09:59 am »

MD: While Book 2 connects to what happened in Book 1, it is very much a whole new adventure and challenge for Korra and Team Avatar. Book 2 focuses less on political conflict and more on Korra’s spiritual development and her connection with the Spirit World. Republic City is still a major player in the story, but we also branch out and see more of the world, specifically the Southern Water Tribe.

Seems like there likely won't be something as big as a civil war between the Tribes or anything.

Besides, it's better they don't rethread the same area as they did in Book 1. that includes the long pointless probending saga
guyw1tn0nam3
Untethered

I lost my will to live again

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:01 am »

MD: While Book 2 connects to what happened in Book 1, it is very much a whole new adventure and challenge for Korra and Team Avatar. Book 2 focuses less on political conflict and more on Korra’s spiritual development and her connection with the Spirit World. Republic City is still a major player in the story, but we also branch out and see more of the world, specifically the Southern Water Tribe.

Seems like there likely won't be something as big as a civil war between the Tribes or anything.

Besides, it's better they don't rethread the same area as they did in Book 1. that includes the long pointless probending saga

What do you mean by "rethread the same area as they did in Book 1?"

It's also nice to hear that Asami has moved on from her father and Mako and focusing on bigger problems than that. Now let's see how she runs the company because it's not going to be easy because she is young inexperienced. I do not want to see a perfect Asami again.

What do you mean a perfect Asami? o_O

A good man in an evil society seems the greatest evil of all.
HaZardous
Untethered

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:05 am »

What do you mean by "rethread the same area as they did in Book 1?"

Have a big all-out war between two factions based on political conflicts.
guyw1tn0nam3
Untethered

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:06 am »

Oh, but don't you know?

There was no war in Republic City.

Edit: In all seriousness, I think Bryke are, rightfully, backing off the political side of things because frankly I don't think they're very good at it as opposed to the other things they've worked on.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 10:10 am by guyw1tn0nam3 » Logged

Fire Rose
Untethered

« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:20 am »

One of the most common complaints about Asami is that she is considered perfect in the narrative and fandom departments.

In the narrative department she's somewhat bland in terms of character and personality and she's a little perfect. She always knows what to do, always knows what to say, and always makes the right decisions (it's great that she's against Hiroshi's views, but why?). A character like that would be boring and not relatable.

In the fandom's point of view she is put on a pedestal as the greatest character even though we know very little of her. She's also treated as this wounded lamb who has been wronged by everyone from Korra kissing her man, Bolin spilling the beans and Mako being "abusive" towards her (abusive and being emotional insensitive are entirely different things which I will not be getting into).
HaZardous
Untethered

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am »

Edit: In all seriousness, I think Bryke are, rightfully, backing off the political side of things because frankly I don't think they're very good at it as opposed to the other things they've worked on.

They could do better in that regard than in Book 1 since they have a larger writing team now. I'd like to see an actual political conflict done right. :/

Maybe in Book 3 or 4.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am by HaZardous » Logged
guyw1tn0nam3
Untethered

« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:26 am »

Well, critiques on Asami via what a fandom says about her is silly so I won't get into that, but people thought Asami was "a little perfect" when they watched the show?

Well, okay.

But as far as Asami running the company...oh God...my business school instincts are kicking in. Uggggggh. Not sure if good thing.

They could do better in that regard than in Book 1 since they have a larger writing team now. I'd like to see an actual political conflict done right.

Maybe in Book 3 or 4.

Meh. I would too, but to be frank with you if I was watching Korra because I wanted to see some political intrigue I'd be watching the wrong show for it.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 10:38 am by guyw1tn0nam3 » Logged

Molra
Untethered

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:27 am »

thanks for the interview, ASN admin people, everything converging now to some important and close announcements of book 2, finally!
fire nation spirit
Untethered

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:36 am »

i think they're hinting that if a TLOK story would be told in comic book format, it'd be about the adventures of the Gaang Jr. Cheesy
Avapony
Untethered

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2013 10:56 am »

This interview makes me really excited for SDCC and Book 2 in general. I really hope the writers have made time to focus on the characters' little story arcs, especially Bolin's since he was left out for most of the season. Smiley

HikaruIzumi
Untethered

« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am »

So Book 2 will be connected to Book 1? I wonder in what way. It's supposed to be one season so I hope they won't just recap it and carry on with a band new plot.

Yay, a major flashback. Cheesy The more major the better. Although, I wish there was an extra s at the end of the word.

I also really like the way they talk about Bolin's story. I hope it won't take a single episode. For some strange reason I find strange pleasure in watching people search for and be depressed over their life purpose. Hm... Should I get that checked?

I'm not a huge fan of the comics but I like the idea of seeing teen Tenzin and Lin or the whole next generation. I hope there will be enough hype over Korra to do that.

Is it just me or each time they give the "Book 2 coming soon" vibe I feel like Ikki in the first ep? I just hope they won't keep telling us "soon" for the next half a year.

Wall of Text Club President
HaZardous
Untethered

« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am »

Yay, a major flashback. Cheesy The more major the better. Although, I wish there was an extra s at the end of the word.

They're probably talking about the origin of the Avatar flashback that they're going to have in Book 2. That should be very very interesting...

Blanka
Banned Member
Untethered

« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm »

They're probably talking about the origin of the Avatar flashback that they're going to have in Book 2. That should be very very interesting...

I just really hope it's not anywhere to being as ridiculous as Stars Wars did with "The Force" in Episode I.
Furudo Erika
Untethered

^ She's badbutt.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2013 01:04 pm »

Very interesting indeed Cheesy. Thanks ASN for the interview.

They said that while RC still has the major play, we would get to see other places. We already know about the Southern Water Tribe, but maybe we will get to see Fire Nation too...  I'd love that.

Ba Sing Se is probably out of the question, but I'm most interested in how it changed.
Colonel_Brian
Untethered

« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2013 01:11 pm »

That was a nice interview, even if it did not reveal anything that we didn't already know before or inferred. As for the major flashback that was mentioned, I am actually a little excited for that, but I will keep my expectations reasonable. I am not expecting anything over the top, but who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.
Blanka
Banned Member
Untethered

« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2013 01:29 pm »

Ba Sing Se is probably out of the question, but I'm most interested in how it changed.

While I doubt we're getting Ba Sing Se next season, I don't see why we couldn't see Ba Sing Se in seasons 3 or 4.
Furudo Erika
Untethered

^ She's badbutt.

« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2013 01:33 pm »

While I doubt we're getting Ba Sing Se next season, I don't see why we couldn't see Ba Sing Se in seasons 3 or 4.

I meant for Book 2, yeah. Book 3-4 still have a chance Cheesy
SessKo
Untethered

« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2013 04:26 pm »

It sound like the characters are splitting off from each other. I mean the issues and situations sound so unique and individual, maybe this season will be all about the character development we were lacking in the last season. I'm a little disappointed that they aren't going to show Asami and her feelings/reactions about what happened since it wasn't addressed in book one either, they're really sweeping some major betrayal under the rug while she has the potential to be as complex as Zuko, working through these issues. Hearing them becoming excited about new characters is making me excited about the new characters where I wasn't before.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 04:32 pm by SessKo » Logged

Dr. Pepper is an intellectual drink for the chosen ones.
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #23 on: Jul 15, 2013 05:52 pm »

For those who disliked the extended pro-bending saga, I suppose it's a relief for them to know that pro-bending won't be featured that much in the season.

What about those of us who didn't mind the Pro-Bending (when I didn't have to transcribe the dang things Tongue) but thought that its inclusion in Book Air meant that all the involved storylines got shafted in terms of needed focus?

Like, I wouldn't mind if Book 3 was all about a Pro-Bending season starring Tahno with the corruption built into the league being the primary driver of plot.

sig by Maivry
Aurora
Untethered

The truth? About what?

« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2013 05:55 pm »

I'm surprised they're not finished with Book 2 yet. Unless that's old news, and they have finished it by now.

Focusing on spiritual development instead of politics sounds like a return to Avatar themes. The stuff with Tarrlok in Book 1 was fun, but I'm looking forward to the change.

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: