Sep 19, 2014 10:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're looking for where the live-action movie thread went, read this announcement.

ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Walker A:TLA vlogs and more  (Read 50310 times)
Red Hawk
Untethered

« Reply #325 on: Jun 26, 2013 10:18 pm »

I'm not talking about the Yu Dao incident itself. I'm talking about every stupid and unnecessary decision he made that resulted in alienating every single one of his friends and allies, including Suki.

Isn't the Yu Dao incident what caused all of that?  Except maybe for his breakup with Mai, but there's nothing inherently wrong with relationship drama like that.  And I don't think he really alienated Aang and Katara (Katara especially); his willingness to show them where he was coming from and why he wanted to stop the HRM helped win them over in the end.
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #326 on: Jun 26, 2013 10:38 pm »

We've done this before, haven't we? I talked about how all of Zuko's decisions like having his soldiers lock down Yu Dao against Aang and ordering them to kill all intruders even if they have arrows on their heads got things off to a ridiculous start, and you came up with all kinds of rationalizations for why Zuko would have done that, and we parted completely disagreeing?

My point is that Zuko doesn't stop and think about others. Zuko thinks about his grand national plans and lets people get hurt in the process consistently. And thus Song is just another casualty.

Red Hawk
Untethered

« Reply #327 on: Jun 27, 2013 12:46 am »

We've done this before, haven't we? I talked about how all of Zuko's decisions like having his soldiers lock down Yu Dao against Aang and ordering them to kill all intruders even if they have arrows on their heads got things off to a ridiculous start, and you came up with all kinds of rationalizations for why Zuko would have done that, and we parted completely disagreeing?

My point is that Zuko doesn't stop and think about others. Zuko thinks about his grand national plans and lets people get hurt in the process consistently. And thus Song is just another casualty.

Well yes, I think we talked about this when the comic first came out.  You were misconstruing events.  It's never said that Zuko barred entrance to Yu Dao from Aang -- heck, Aang doesn't even try asking the guards if he can enter.  He just takes Smellerbee at her word that the guards aren't letting people in, and just flies over.  And I think the reaction of the guards is pretty justified as far as "jump the gun" reactions go.  I mean, if a friend of your sibling broke a window of your house to get in without even trying to knock on the door, wouldn't you be fairly hostile to that person?  Furthermore, is it your fault, or your sibling's fault, that the person didn't just knock? In that situation, Aang is at fault for not thinking, not Zuko.

I think Zuko's change of heart on Yu Dao was very much him stopping to think about his citizens in Yu Dao and how the HRM would actually effect them.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013 12:49 am by Red Hawk » Logged
Stellafera
Untethered

Sokka's Alternate Universe Female Self

« Reply #328 on: Jun 27, 2013 01:03 am »

Y'know, I'm kinda glad that I've never read the comics. I like to think that, after Sozin's Comet, everything just generally worked out and there were puppies and kittens and rainbows everywhere and they all got along happily ever after until LOK, y'know?  Wink

Stellafera makes l AMVs l PMVs l Both!
NeeNee
Global Moderator
Untethered

Who, me?

« Reply #329 on: Jun 27, 2013 01:18 am »

^ But then you'll never know what happened to Zuko's mother.

Red Hawk
Untethered

« Reply #330 on: Jun 27, 2013 02:00 am »

Y'know, I'm kinda glad that I've never read the comics. I like to think that, after Sozin's Comet, everything just generally worked out and there were puppies and kittens and rainbows everywhere and they all got along happily ever after until LOK, y'know?  Wink

Avatar has never been that simple.
HaZardous
Untethered

« Reply #331 on: Jun 27, 2013 03:02 am »

Speaking of that I can't wait to see Doug's reaction to Azula's gradual breakdown in the third season, and then her explosive meltdown in the finale.

In fact, I just can't wait for his reaction to the finale in general. But ehhh...if he keeps doing one episode a night (minus Tuesdays) he's not gonna review the finale until August.

Actually, Doug is going to be attending quite a few cons in various areas over the next month. So unless he posts multiple vlogs every day before or after he leaves, it's going to take an even longer while before he reaches the finale (or at least until he posts the vlog about it).
This is not including other breaks for doing his other videos...
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013 03:04 am by HaZardous » Logged
Avapony
Untethered

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #332 on: Jun 27, 2013 08:47 am »

^ Well, let's hope he doesn't forget about it before he gets to the end. I'm sure he won't. It might be September then when he finishes. Maybe even October...

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Untethered

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« Reply #333 on: Jun 27, 2013 08:56 am »

Anyway want to make a guess on how he'll react to Mai and Ty Lee? Refreshing characters?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
neverXbroken
Untethered

« Reply #334 on: Jun 27, 2013 09:52 am »

I'm not sure. He's surprised me with certain things. I think he may find them annoying and bland at first. Though he'll probably like their fighting skills (which is seems to be a highlight of this show for him)

Avapony
Untethered

« Reply #335 on: Jun 27, 2013 09:58 am »

Yeah, I'm not so sure about their personalities, but their fighting skills are awesome, especially Ty Lee's chi blocking. But who knows, I keep thinking he's going to hate certain stuff and he ends up liking it. and vice versa.

fireywaters
Untethered

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #336 on: Jun 27, 2013 10:54 am »

I wonder if he will realise the voice of Ty Lee is the same actress that voices Rhonda on Hey Arnold, I think he reviewed  it on the Nicktoons review from Nickelodeon match in 2009.

I wonder if he will get some the suttles of what their relationship with Azula really is, like when Ty Lee said "Azula called louder", I get the idea that Mai knew what the deal was, or when Azula "suggested" they call off the Bumi / Tom Tom trade, Azula doesn't give suggestions (except to Ozai), she gives orders. They knew Azula long enough, that Azula doesn't have to ouright order them around, but they know. Though granted Mai is a much tougher character to read than Ty Lee, Ty Lee expression when Azula says she will stay for the show was obvious how Ty Lee felt, you don't see that from Mai, she would be a great pocker player, she never gives away what she is thinking or feeling with her body language like Ty Lee does.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Celestine
Untethered

Reign of stars.

« Reply #337 on: Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am »

I was kind of put out that he didn't get the relationship between the waterbenders and the moon.

Just... seriously, Critic?  Undecided

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Awesome Sig v. 2.0 by The_Elite711. Thank you. Smiley
neverXbroken
Untethered

« Reply #338 on: Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am »

^Yeah, but he also said lizards don't eat fish. Science isn't his strong point

Celestine
Untethered

Reign of stars.

« Reply #339 on: Jun 27, 2013 11:51 am »

^I wouldn't call a metaphysical relationship with celestial bodies hard science. Still, sometimes he seems to really get it. Other times, it seems like he's only kinda watching the episodes, like someone keeps coming in the room and talking to him while they're on.

Did he ever even learn Zhao's name? It's actually really funny, given Han's inability to remember the name too, but, there again. Really, Critic?

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Awesome Sig v. 2.0 by The_Elite711. Thank you. Smiley
Avapony
Untethered

« Reply #340 on: Jun 27, 2013 12:37 pm »

No, he never learned Zhao's name. And they never mention him again!! I'm kinda miffed about that.

neverXbroken
Untethered

« Reply #341 on: Jun 27, 2013 04:35 pm »

They mentioned him in The Library, not by name, but about a firebender who came into the library to discover secrets about the NWT.

Avapony
Untethered

« Reply #342 on: Jun 27, 2013 04:59 pm »

^ Oh yeah. haha. Grin

Sarcastic Master
Untethered

Yes, it is a bad idea.

« Reply #343 on: Jun 27, 2013 06:27 pm »

So the VLOG for Return to Omashu is up.

Doug was really impressed with how the show included philosophy that the Western world really doesn't know in a show for children (the Jings). He really enjoyed the episode overall.

But he doesn't really like Momo. I'll go ahead and say that I feel similarly, Momo was never really an interesting part of the show for me, I doubt Doug's mind will change on that (he doesn't hate Momo I should point out as well).

And he seemed to get puzzled on Ty Lee's change of mind to go with Azula, wondering if she clearly saw the threat Azula was giving or that she really thought the universe itself was telling her. I can see where that might be confusing, I mean this early it's not clear exactly how Ty Lee's mind works, whether she's really quirky or just obfuscating stupidity. Though I guess he missed the "Azula called a little louder" line.

Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #344 on: Jun 27, 2013 06:40 pm »

Actually, I found Ty Lee more confusing as she went along. She's so exuberant in her sycophancy that many people saw it as a real lust for Azula. This episode was fairly clear that Ty Lee dreaded even hanging out with Azula again.

As for Momo, I really thought he would turn out to be more important than he really did. There seemed to be some ambiguous foreshadowing for it, including in this episode, but it never came to anything. Very sad, but unlike in LoK where a dropped low-tier plot-thread stands out more, 61 episodes worth of characters and plots hid Momo's lack well.

Stupendous
Untethered

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #345 on: Jun 27, 2013 07:11 pm »

Seeing Doug so gushy about the show makes me smile. Cheesy

I really need to marathon Book 2 now. Maybe I'll start Saturday. ^^

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Fire Rose
Untethered

« Reply #346 on: Jun 27, 2013 07:25 pm »

^^I think the reason Ty Lee admired Azula so much was probably her way of covering up her fear of her. Her saying "Azula called a little louder" was her way of saying "Azula tried to kill me because I said no."

Mai on the other hand just hated being at Omashu and saw it as an opportunity to get away and see Zuko. I kind of get the feeling she was forced into being friends with her because her parents wanted to climb up the social ladder and what better way to do that is to have their daughter be friends with the Fire Lord's daughter.

Mai telling Azula off at the Boiling Rock is one of my favorite scenes in the series.
neverXbroken
Untethered

« Reply #347 on: Jun 27, 2013 07:33 pm »

I died when I heard how he pronounced Omashu. It sounds like "Oh my shoe!"

Otherwise, good review. Smiley

Avapony
Untethered

« Reply #348 on: Jun 27, 2013 07:50 pm »

And I'm like...does he listen to how it's pronounced in the show? xD

Next is the swamp right? Hmm. Well there's more philosophy in it, and it's gonna introduce Toph...in vision form. I hope he catches on that there's gonna be a new character, if not that's fine.

fireywaters
Untethered

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #349 on: Jun 27, 2013 08:22 pm »

The latest vlog "Return To Omashu", Doug nailed a lot of stuff with his theroies and predections. He nailed what Bumi is going to do, but that is kind of obvious, he also nails how Ty Lee is going to change sides, but than that is kind of obvious, but what he really nailed was Mai's backstory and what is going to happen with her and Zuko.

Though if he read Mai's side story "Rebound", he would see he might be slightly wrong about someone. At the very least, that person has another side to him you don't really see in this episode.

And Doug came very close to pronouncing Omashu. Giving his track record in these vlogs, that is impressive for him.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013 08:55 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: