Nov 18, 2019 03:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #6] The Search, Part 3  (Read 69647 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:49 pm »

Isn't that the quote at the very top of the first page of The Search, Part 1?

Yeah, that was it.

^I wouldn't count on it, just like how there are still fans out there that are convinced that Sokka is Lin's father or Aang hated (and I mean hate) his other two kids.

Is it true that Ursa doe acknowledged what she did was selfish and hypocritical of her do that? If she does at least acknowledge that she was a bad mother then I could let it side.

The comic review sites should really consider not giving away spoilers otherwise we will blow it out of proportion.

She does acknowledge it. After getting her memories back she apologizes to Zuko and asks "what kind of mother forgets her children." The scene with her giving up her memories was meant to be a moment of weakness I think, but everything was too rushed for my taste. I think this story would have worked better animated.

I'm really disappointed that Zuko just forgives Ursa so easily, and that we don't really get the "feels" reunion in favor of just clearing up this new storyline. And then to not at all address Kiyi's parents having new faces?

Meh, the Azula stuff sounds good, but I don't think the Ursa storyline we got is anywhere near as good as the Flawed Mother character we already had in Zuko Alone.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:51 pm »

My initial thoughts.  Needless to say, spoilers!

First of all, fears that the comic would undermine the themes of the original show have proven to not be true. First of all, Zuko is not Ikem's son, but Ozai's -- theories that Ursa referred to Zuko as Ikem's son in order to provoke Ozai have proven true. Furthermore, while Ozai was certainly provoked, he never actually believed that Zuko was not his son. So the part of Ozai's character, that he would do terrible things to his own son rather than someone else's son, remains intact. And the comic adds a new layer to that. Ozai's treatment of Zuko was a way of getting back at Ursa. Ursa wishes that Zuko was Ikem's son, not Ozai's, and Ozai tells her he'll grant her wish. That, despite Zuko really being Ozai's son, Ozai would treat Zuko as if he's not his son, just to spite Ursa. But the core character dynamics of Zuko's dual nature due to his heritage and Ozai knowingly doing horrible things to his own son remain intact. I think that's a good way of expanding Ozai's character without undermining the themes from the show.

Also, it turns out that Noren and Noriko really being Ikem and Ursa with new faces from the Mother of All Faces was true as well. Noren knew who he was, but Ursa had chosen to have new memories, because she couldn't bear the thought that she had abandoned Zuko and Azula and wanted to just forget. It's an interesting touch of humanization to Ursa. Her memory (and face) is restored by the end.

As for the Mother of Faces, she is related to Koh. She's his mother, in fact. The Water Tribe guy who was in the forest had his face stolen by Koh, and revealing that is key in getting the Mother of Faces to cooperate.

I liked how the progression of Zuko and Azula's relationship went. Zuko has fully progressed into emotionally accepting Azula as his sister, and he wants to help her. Azula seems overwhelmed by the whole thing, which is understandable. I liked that apparently Azula's visions of Ursa are pretty much confirmed to just be her hallucinating, so it's part of her character and not a plot device.

There was a two-page spread of Ursa and Zuko looking out at the Mother of Faces approached them from a distance, towering over the forest. Loved the art; reminded me of the Nightwalker from Princess Mononoke.

The comic resolves Zuko and Ursa's relationship, and moves Azula's character forward a bit...but ultimately there's no reconciliation (yet) for Azula. Doubtless she'll turn up again.

Overall I loved the comic. Finally we know what happened to Ursa. Finally!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:59 pm »

So, what exactly does that add to Ozai's character? I'm really curious, because it seems like it's running in place.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:11 pm »

So, what exactly does that add to Ozai's character? I'm really curious, because it seems like it's running in place.

Just a little extra layer that Ozai treated Zuko like crap partially to spite Ursa.  But I think at that point Ozai had already developed a distaste for Zuko, so his horribleness as a father still allowed him to do that; if Ursa had said the same thing about Azula, I doubt Ozai would have treated her the same way.  It more develops Ursa and Ozai's relationship rather than Zuko and Ozai's relationship (which is better than what it looked like it might have been: Ozai mistreating Zuko because he thought Zuko was not his son, undermining some of the themes from back in the show.  Specifically, Zuko's whole speech in DoBS on how Ozai, "my father", did all those things to him).

Ozai's discussion with Zuko about moral relativism vs moral absolutism back in The Promise Part 2 was a more insightful look at Ozai's character himself, IMO.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 09:18 pm by Red Hawk » Logged
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:20 pm »

Well,it does stomp on the fingers of the Ozai defense squad that 'NOOOO HE'S REALLY A DARK GREY AND TRAGIC CHARACTER' and 'NOOOOOO POOR OZAI, URSA HELPED BREAK HIM'.

But yeah, aside from that I would say the only thing on Ozai is more horribleness. Ursa we get her flaws and her acknowledgement that she wasn't a good mom and didn't love her kids enough. Which, while terrible and not what fandom built up over the years, is done in a sympathetic manner. Ozai is just 50 shades of ****. Granted, I can get disappointment at him just proving to be more and more a monster when Ozai was already a flat character but some people really just aren't good people/worth it.

I would say part of the strengths of Search III is that it shows WHY Azula and Ursa are worth it, at least to Zuko. It's mostly panned out with Ursa, but with Azula it's going to take time and for her to examine herself and take steps to help herself first. I'm honestly really thankful that while we don't get Azula's great big change or reformation, we get the door opened to that path for Azula.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:24 pm »

Just a little extra layer that Ozai treated Zuko like crap partially to spite Ursa.  But I think at that point Ozai had already developed a distaste for Zuko, so his horribleness as a father still allowed him to do that; if Ursa had said the same thing about Azula, I doubt Ozai would have treated her the same way.  It more develops Ursa and Ozai's relationship rather than Zuko and Ozai's relationship (which is better than what it looked like it might have been: Ozai mistreating Zuko because he thought Zuko was not his son, undermining some of the themes from back in the show.  Specifically, Zuko's whole speech in DoBS on how Ozai, "my father", did all those things to him).

Ozai's discussion with Zuko about moral relativism vs moral absolutism back in The Promise Part 2 was a more insightful look at Ozai's character himself, IMO.

Okay, yeah, it does add a little something to the Urzai dynamic. Sadly, it's not a dynamic that changed a whole lot over its lifetime, but when you describe it that way, I guess it finally confirms what's going on in this scene:

Well,it does stomp on the fingers of the Ozai defense squad that 'NOOOO HE'S REALLY A DARK GREY AND TRAGIC CHARACTER' and 'NOOOOOO POOR OZAI, URSA HELPED BREAK HIM'.

But yeah, aside from that I would say the only thing on Ozai is more horribleness. Ursa we get her flaws and her acknowledgement that she wasn't a good mom and didn't love her kids enough. Which, while terrible and not what fandom built up over the girls, is done in a sympathetic manner. Ozai is just 50 shades of ****. Granted, I can get disappointment at him just proving to be more and more a monster when Ozai was already a flat character but some people really just aren't good people/worth it.

I dunno, if anything, the Ozai Sympathizers can just claim this as proof that his bitterness over Ursa is at the heart of all his awfulness. If it all keeps coming back to Ursa, and she never loved him and always undermined him, that can be spun as being the source of Ozai's issues.

I don't believe that, because we saw Ozai being heartless as far back as their wedding, but I don't think Part 3 adds anything that will change those minds who were already glorifying Ozai.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2013 10:23 pm »

I say they should've had an epilogue in which Ursa visits him in his cell and offers to help him leave the prison, but first she offers him a cup of tea. He knows what's in it and she knows that he knows. What he does next can be left to the imagination, but strongly implied that he still drinks it as its all he left and the only escape for him.
razorstar90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2013 11:23 pm »

Azula is probably going to pull an Ursa and get a new face and a new memory. And unlike Ursa she'd have a good reason to get a fresh start away from the pain.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2013 11:33 pm »

I really don't want that to happen, running away doesn't really solve anything. I think that's why they had Ursa realize that she made such a grievous mistake by choosing to forget her children and start over. There are consequences in trying to escape one's past, the only way to heal and move on is to truly confront it head on. That is the right way to do it and that is what Azula needs. She needs to face who she is and what she wants, not have a reset button.
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2013 11:36 pm »

^This. Azula has done more than enough running and avoiding her mistakes and the true impact of her past on her. She's never going to learn or heal if she just throws it all away.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #35 on: Oct 31, 2013 12:00 am »

I'm sure there will be future comics that would dwell on Azula confronting her problems...

Anyway, about the comic, I liked it but I'm a bit weirded out that Zuko keeps the crown in his pocket at all times? So random lol.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Oct 31, 2013 12:59 am »

I really don't want that to happen, running away doesn't really solve anything. I think that's why they had Ursa realize that she made such a grievous mistake by choosing to forget her children and start over. There are consequences in trying to escape one's past, the only way to heal and move on is to truly confront it head on. That is the right way to do it and that is what Azula needs. She needs to face who she is and what she wants, not have a reset button.

Agreed.  I don't want Azula to cop out by getting new memories.  Better would be for the Mother of Faces to offer Azula a new face and memories, but Azula to reject it and decide to confront her neurosis and get better.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #37 on: Oct 31, 2013 01:55 am »

but now that i think about it.....the comic just ended with Zuko and Ursa with her old face and memories, talking, and catching up....and we never got to see Kiyi since the fight....how the hell will Noren and everyone else explain to a mere 6 year old what just happened??? O.O

There is a small pic about Kiyi in the corner of the last panel. She is crying for "Mommy!"... Another child messed up by Ursa I guess  Cheesy? Cue in Azula+Kiyi - Ursa Hatred Team! - Gosh, 4chan tricked me..

Anyway, this comics turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me too. The story has turned out to be a quite decent family drama - sans the Ursa bashing - and after the Suzuki of The Promise, we have Sokkla in The Search (LOL for Chekhov's Boomerang Cheesy) to keep the ATLA shipping train moving. Overall, not a bad read.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013 08:51 am by AtoMaki » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Chloesong
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2013 01:56 am »

I feel so conflicted!!!

Most of the posts here seem to forgive Ursa for choosing to forget her children... but I feel like it just went against everything we believed about Ursa and what we were told about her character. What happened to her strong motherly love, her desperate desire to protect Zuko, even to the point of becoming an accomplice in the murder of the most powerful/important person in the nation, perhaps Avatar world? She helped kill and overthrow the Fire Lord in order to save her son!

Why did the authors chose her last words to Zuko "never forget who you are"? To foreshadow and emphasize exactly how hypocritical she would become? Or maybe her departing words were decided before Ursa's entire story was finalized?

Why did Katara say it was an incredible tale, when really Ursa just ran away and forgot all her problems. Cry

By choosing to forget, she chose a life where she would never know what happened to Zuko/Azula and also where they would never ever learn what happened to her.

After everything Zuko and Azula went through, their desperation to find Ursa, and all their mommy-issues, namely Zuko's guilt/fear over his mom's fate/loss of his only protector from his father, Azula's hurt/insecurity/source of her insanity, it's somewhat baffling, cruel, and almost like a betrayal that Ursa was living a such peaceful life with a new family under new identity the whole time.

If Zuko/Azula hadn't become friends of the Avatar and luckily found the Mother of Faces, there was no way they would have known what happened to their mother, meaning Ursa was leaving them to an life never knowing what really happened to your mom. That's harsh.

I just didn't think Ursa was the type of character to chose her own happiness over the fate of Zuko and Azula, especially now that we know Ozai had specifically threatened to hurt Zuko. (Death threats he later carried out.) I'm surprised that the woman who thought up a plan to poison the Fire Lord and commit treason... just completely became passive after meeting her true love again and gave up helping her kids...I mean she didn't even try! Just completely surrendered her past...

I understand that her "moment of weakness" is supposed to be a flaw and humanize her character. She did the wrong thing and she knows it, but to me it seems so inconsistent with her previous actions that it just doesn't compute for me. Also, Zuko/Azula weren't just her kids, they were the future of the entire nation.

Even if it would have been emotionally painful, it wouldn't have been hard keeping up with the royal news. Also, politics changes all the time, so there was definitely a chance that she could have returned to them...how could she leave them to be raised by Ozai... (case-in-point=Ozai currently being overthrown, Zuko rising to power. If things had turned out differently, she would have been returning home at this point... speaking of which, I wonder what happens to Ursa from here?)

Before The Search, Ursa was a brave, smart, kind mother who was trying her best to keep her children alive, who loved them more than she could properly express. Now I see her as a victim, a girl who was ripped apart from the boy she loved, forced to marry a mad prince, had two kids, luckily got away, and chose to escape her bad memories...
/rant

I don't hate her character or anything. I guess I feel disappointed, confused, and betrayed. Baffled really. If I was Zuko, I'd be like, "How could you... have been here this whole time? Didn't you care about us?!". I'm not saying it was her responsibility to "save and love Zuko and Azula", but I'm just surprised that after her banishment, she didn't even try to return/figure something out. Zuko took it really well I thought, almost strangely so.

In hindsight, I guess it would have been "boring/repetitive/cliche" if Zuko's mother turned out to be the same as Katara's mom, a loving sacrificial martyr...still disappointed/surprised at how her character turned out. Sad
 The back story on the Mother of Faces was interesting though.

Regarding The Search Part 3, I loved Azula's development, the art, seeing Katara/Aang/Sokka/Zuko in new clothes and looking more mature, the spiritual elements, and love the comic in general.
The scenes which almost had me tear up were when Zuko returned to the house to ask his mom about his birth, and specifically I got the feels when he thought he found his "real family" and just sat down accepting his "new sister, dad, and mom". It seemed so pathetic and sad for a moment, like "ahh so this is my family", because he accepted it so easily and willingly.

And of course the Azula-Zuko interactions. Azula tearing up... Zuko reaching out to her.

Definitely want to see more of what happens Azula as well. I'm so glad for the ATLA comics. They are amazing. Smiley

Overall glad to finally get closure on the Ursa story, it's been a mysterious for yeaarrss lol. Smiley Sad it wasn't an episode. Glad Zuko finally! met his mother. Sad it wasn't a cliche "I found you mom!! after all these years"!! feels moment. Ursa story seemed rushed.

Also I'm so amused that the Fire Royals have a half-sister. Who would have thought Tongue

ps. Happy Halloween Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013 02:11 am by Chloesong » Logged
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2013 02:15 am »

I finally know why i'm disappointed with the whole Ursa plotline:

I. the whole Reunion scene of Ursa and Zuko;
It wasn't full of loving and emotion, and is instead filled with caution and regret, mainly because Ursa messed up and Zuko knows this

notice that when Ursa got her old self back, she is quite hesitant towards Zuko, and neither did any action of hugging or affection or crying, whatever. For years, us fans dreamed of the perfect reunion scene, of mother and son running into each other's arms and pouring out their lost love for each other in their embrace. true, maybe I'm just closed minded from being drilled by the fandom that Ursa is the perfect momma for years, but in the comic, in reality, it just shows how much better and ideal it would've been if the whole Ikem/Ursa/Ozai love triangle never happened in the first place.

if the love triangle never happened in the first place, Ursa wouldn't be compelled to do drastic and stupid things, such as provoking Ozai with the letter, as a way of escape. if the love triangle never happened, Ursa wouldn't be pained as much as she is now with keeping the memories of her children. if the love triangle never happened, Ursa would've been a stronger person and would've just used a new face to go to great lengths to see her children again.  if the love triangle never happened, Ursa wouldn't ever be tempted to leave everything behind and choose a new life with Ikem.  if the love triangle never happened, Ursa wouldn't be full of guilt and trepidation once meeting Zuko again after years of him pining for her. if the love triangle never happened, since she wouldn't be filled with guilt, then mother and son would happily take into each other's arms, like us fans envisioned since the end of ATLA, five years ago.

if the love triangle never happened,  then we would've had the Ursa we know and love, the Mama bear Ursa portrayed in the show. A strong Ursa who would do anything for her children.

And if we had that kind of Ursa instead, then Zuko would have had a happier ending, an ending he deserves after years of being in the dark of his mom's whereabouts, after years of suffering under  his father, and would've been a big stepping stone in helping Azula as well. a happier Ursa/Zuko reunion, without the "other family" baggage, would be a strong indication of how bright the Royal Family's future will be, and in turn, how bright and good the Fire Nation's future will be.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013 02:18 am by fire nation spirit » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2013 02:32 am »

^While I haven't read the comic yet (Amazon wont have it to me until Monday), I like how their isn't some happy, heartfelt reunion scene.

I actually wanted a sad ending to this Search story. Before the comics even started, I always wanted the ending of Zuko's search for Ursa to be sad. I wanted it to turn out that Ursa had died sometime after her banishment. Don't ask me why I wanted that, I don't really know, but to me a happy ending always felt out of place for this story.

That said, Bryke decided to go the route of Ursa still being alive, which is fine. What I like though is that there wasn't a flowers and sunshine reunion. I like how the reunion is filled with guilt and trepidation. It makes the ending bittersweet...Zuko found his mother and they are reunited but they have a lot of work to repair their relationship...not mention the whole deal with Azula.

I'll have to read it first to get a full opinion but so far I really like what I am hearing. I would have been disappointing with a reunion of them, "running into each others arms and pouring out their lost love".

Also, out of curiosity, everyone has been talking about Zuko, Ursa, and Azula, which makes sense as they are the focus, but what about Aang, Katara, and Sokka. Did they do anything? I haven't really seen anyone mention them yet.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2013 02:33 am »

I like that Ursa was made into a human being rather than a perfect mother who was always strong for her children.  She did what she could to help them, but the pain of being separated from them and leaving them in the hands of Ozai was too much for her to bear.  It's understandable.
TheLastAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2013 05:27 am »

^While I haven't read the comic yet (Amazon wont have it to me until Monday), I like how their isn't some happy, heartfelt reunion scene.

I actually wanted a sad ending to this Search story. Before the comics even started, I always wanted the ending of Zuko's search for Ursa to be sad. I wanted it to turn out that Ursa had died sometime after her banishment. Don't ask me why I wanted that, I don't really know, but to me a happy ending always felt out of place for this story.

That said, Bryke decided to go the route of Ursa still being alive, which is fine. What I like though is that there wasn't a flowers and sunshine reunion. I like how the reunion is filled with guilt and trepidation. It makes the ending bittersweet...Zuko found his mother and they are reunited but they have a lot of work to repair their relationship...not mention the whole deal with Azula.

I'll have to read it first to get a full opinion but so far I really like what I am hearing. I would have been disappointing with a reunion of them, "running into each others arms and pouring out their lost love".

Also, out of curiosity, everyone has been talking about Zuko, Ursa, and Azula, which makes sense as they are the focus, but what about Aang, Katara, and Sokka. Did they do anything? I haven't really seen anyone mention them yet.

^ This.  I didn't really want Ursa to turn out to be alive either, I couldn't imagine a straight out happy ending to this story.  I had actually hoped that the book would end with Zuko and Azula finding Ursa's grave, which is why she never sought out Zuko when word spread that he became Fire Lord.  Azula would be confronted with the fact she's disturbed, see a vision of her mother telling her she loves her and break down.  Zuko would comfort her and while they don't become sitcom brother/sister, it opens a crack in her defenses.  

Ultimately this kind of served to do the same thing.  It explained why Ursa never re-emerged after Ozai was defeated and Zuko became Fire Lord.  And if they had to go this route, I'm glad it was shown to be heavy for everyone, especially Ursa.  Azula did crack in a way and seemed to express shame.  I just don't like that her story is being dragged out and she just disappears into the night.

RE:  The rest of the Gaang AKA a quick summary of what happened

They really didn't do much.  In the beginning, Aang is in the Avatar state reaching out to the Mother of Faces.  After Azula attacks the 2 watertribe people looking for a face she taunts him for being naive.  Zuko feels let down and tells the others to take her down.  The watertribe sister begs them to stop fighting, Aang comes out of the AS and agrees with her because the mother of faces appears.

MOF tells them she only grants one request every year to the first that asks her.  Zuko wonders if MOF can help, which Aang is positive about.  He tries to haggle for two requests, one to help Zuko and one to help the faceless watertribe guy.  MOF is not amused and says one.  Zuko relents to the water-tribers who are grateful until Azula inturrupts and steals the request by asking about Ursa.

MOF explains Ursa came to her years ago and changed her face to a new one, which everyone recognizes as Noriki.  Azula has disappeared (to kill Ursa), and Zuko takes off after her using a shortcut the watertribe sister knew of (she was grateful for Zuko at least trying to help).  MOF tries to leave and the watertribe sister tries to stop her with waterbending, pissing her off.  She attacks with the spirit animals in the forest, which Aang and Katara try to ward off.

Zuko gets back to Noreen/Ikem and Noriki/Ursa's house and realizes Sokka followed him.  Sokka is very supportive and wants to help his friend.  Zuko knocks on the door and Noreen answers and invites him in for supper (knowing who Zuko really was this whole time).  Kiyi hugs Zuko and they talk, finally Zuko asks his mom is she's happy.  Clueless she says yes and satisfied with that, Zuko gets up to leave.  Noreen can't stand it any longer and tells Zuko not to go, that he knows who Zuko is and to tell her he hasn't forgotten who he is.  Zuko is hesitant but then tells them he is Zuko, Fire Lord and that she is his mother.  Noriki is obviously surprised (as is Kiyi).

Aang and Katara are trying to retreat, trying to fight off the spirit animals and in the fight the waterbending bro's mask falls off revealing no face.  Aang realizes it's Koh's work, that also causes the MOF to stop the attack.  Aang explains how he knows Koh and how Koh hurt his past life and is an ugly, ugly, ugly spirit.  MOF reveals Koh is her son and Aang backpedals on all the uglies.  She says he turned from her in the beginning of time and legend has it he steals faces to be close to her again (Mommy issues!).  She takes pity and restores the waterbending bro's face.

Back at Noreen and Noriki's hut, she is confused how this boy she doesn't know is her son.  Ikem explains everything, that she was once the Fire Lady and was banished and was given a new face and memories from a great spirit.  Zuko hears fighting outside and then suddenly on the roof and realizes it's Azula as she bursts in through the roof crackling lightning, Sokka right behind her.  She starts firebending like a crazy loon, pissed that Ursa had a new daughter to replace her defective one.

Azula and Zuko fight as Sokka rushes Ikem and Kiyi out.  Noriki wants to escape, but Azula pins her to a wall.  Zuko rushes to stop her, but Azula is startled when Noriki carresses her face and says if it is all true and she is her mother, she is sorry she didn't love her more.  This completely knocks Azula off her game and Zuko is able to fend her off.  

The two fight, Zuko with the upperhand the whole fight, Azula missing all the time and getting more frustrated.  She tries to use lightning which he pleads with her not to, before redirecting it back to her feet knocking her back.  She screams at him that this would solve everything, take him off a throne he never wanted, relieve her of the burden in her mind.  Noriki watches this craziness in shock.

Zuko pulls out the Fire Lord crown and puts it on, saying it is his destiny.  Azula doesn't believe him, questioning why he didn't throw her off the cliff (in the previous story), he says because they have been at each other's throats as long as he's known and maybe for the rest of their lives, but she's his sister and he wants to help her.  

She yells at him to shut up and drops the letter as she escapes (accident?  no?  yes?)  He and Noriki run after her as he pleads with her to stay, that he wants to help her.  She looks defeated, ashamed, and beaten down but she mocks him for being weak even when he's strong and disappears in the night.

Suddenly the MOF appears walking out of her forest and offers Noriki her memories back.  Zuko tells her not to, that she has a good live, but Noriki says yes and gets her memories back.

Later on Aang, Katara and Sokka debate if Azula changed.  If she dropped the letter on purpose or by accident.  Aang is hopeful that she has changed, that everyone is capable of that.  And they should be proud of reuniting a brother and sister (waterbending sibs) and a mother and son.  Katara kisses him on the cheek for being optimistic.

If you want the rest you can find my transcript of the conversation between Ursa and Zuko that follows this scene in one of my previous posts in this threat.

Hope that helps, off to bed, lol.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013 05:30 am by TheLastAvatar » Logged

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2013 09:35 am »

I like that Ursa was made into a human being rather than a perfect mother who was always strong for her children.  

I wish people would stop using this ****ing excuse.

No one here has a perfect mother, but that doesn't mean our moms are gonna run and forget us the second the chance she gets.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013 09:48 am by NoName999 » Logged

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2013 09:44 am »

^ Agreed to NoName.

I always wanted Ursa to be a strong mother(Not the best, but strong) who would do everything for her children. I always gave her a somewhat more mature version of Azula personality in my mind. I was wrong :/ and I do not like how she forgot her children and decided to remember Ikem. At least she admits she's horrible.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2013 09:51 am »

How about you respect other people's opinions instead of calling it an 'effing' excuse?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
gender bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ Thats a boy

« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2013 09:55 am »

Well just finished reading it and I've got to say It was a pretty fitting ending. Ursa walking off to spend time with Zuko and not giving two seconds to check on her youngest daughter who was after going through a great ordeal and revelation, just perfect.

To bend another's gender, your own gender must be unbendable or you will be corrupted and changed
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2013 10:00 am »

I kind of wonder what is Koh's real name. Must be Lee. =P

Koh is a really common surname in Asia and isn't creepy at all.

fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2013 11:09 am »

I like that Ursa was made into a human being rather than a perfect mother who was always strong for her children.  

No one here has a perfect mother, but that doesn't mean our moms are gonna run and forget us the second the chance she gets.

YES.  I agree with you NoName. which is why I'm not happy at all with the Ursa plotline. Ursa didn't show her flaws; she showed her selfishness and cowardice. It's a good thing, though, that she herself acknowledges how wrong her decision is and is aware how awful of a mother she is....otherwise i won't hesitate to bash Ursa to no end by now.

The spoilers made her sound so very heartless, but at least in the comics, she is shown to be conflicted in her decision and that she does want her children with her....

that is until THAT STUPID IKEM CHANGED HER MIND. Part 3 just cranked up my hatred for him to maximum, and i swear to god i would dance on his grave if he ever drops dead at some point. I dont care if i sound heartless; If it weren't for him, we would've had the dream "search for Ursa" story we've always wanted. If it werent for him and that stupid love triangle Ursa's character wouldn't have to be so unnecessarily complicated, and the whole story wouldn't have to be so convoluted.

I mean, why couldn't GeBryke make use of what is given to us in the show alone? in "Zuko Alone"? why do they have to introduce new characters fans dont give a flying sh*t about (including those two old siblings, seriously who gives a f***) that eats up precious pages needed by more pressing matters (aka AZULA and her relationship with Zuko)

I mean, the family alone has endless possibilities for good story and drama. No need for new characters, seriously. why couldn't GeBryke make use of Ozai and Ursa's marriage and their conflicting parenting and morality that then translated into their children? The whole story is already there. right there in front of them. right there for years and sadly, they didn't take that opportunity.

I'm not saying that Part 3, and the trilogy as a whole, is horrible. actually, Part 3 did a decent job in salvaging Ursa's character in light of her selfish actions and recklessness (though Ursa's character as a whole is already tarnished in my eyes, as is her relationship with her children) and Part 3 wrapped things up pretty neatly from what were given from parts 1 and 2. the pacing was good, and the artwork is topnotch as usual....

but I just feel that It could've been done so so much better. like i said, they didn't take advantage (or aren't just aware) of the storytelling pile of gold in front of them, that is the Royal Family....

.....And I just wanted to see Zuko and the whole Royal Family happy for once after all those years of dysfunctionality. the Ursa portrayed in The Search couldn't ever bring much help in rebuilding the family any longer. she cannot help Zuko and Azula anymore in their crisis because she has her new family now, plus knowing the fact that she willingly forgotten about them, I don't think Zuko wouldn't ever want her that much anymore. their closure was kinda anticlimatic and a bit tragic, that it didn't left me satisfied, even in a "satisfied of its tragedy" way. from Zuko's viewpoint, it's all so unfair.

and personally speaking, parental abandonment hits just too close to home for my liking, especially by a mother. Sad which is why i fail to fully sympathize with Ursa now and I cannot accept how her decision makes her 'human'. I can imagine many other flaws for her that doesn't make her uncharacteristically selfish. I just....don't like what she did and i can't help it.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013 11:31 am by fire nation spirit » Logged
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Oct 31, 2013 11:24 am »

I think the dynamics of the Royal Family weren't captured as well, since they weren't written by the ones who did the best backgrounds of them, the Ehasz's. Aaron wrote The Storm and it was his wife that wrote Zuko Alone. These two penned some of the greatest episodes, which in turn gave us a great insight into the Fire Nation Royal Family. I know that A:TLA was Bryke's story, but I believe it was the collaborative process that made it the great show it was.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: