Nov 14, 2019 02:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #6] The Search, Part 3  (Read 69604 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: May 15, 2013 11:05 pm »

It has been announced that The Search, Part 3 will be released on 30th Oct 2013.

The Search is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. Professional reviews go into this thread. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of The Search and other future comics, please see  "The Search" Speculation and Future Avatar Comics.

Unlocked. Discuss only after you have read the book! Speculation for part 3 goes into speculation thread.

Official reviews (not member reviews) goes into the official reviews thread.

Have fun discussing (remember to RESPECT all opinions) but please remember to abide by the forum rules and guidelines on criticism (NO OUTRIGHT BASHING). Remember, NO MENTIONING of illegal downloads/viewing of the comic. Not even Tumblr or YouTube.

If you cannot discuss in a civilized manner and will not write constructive criticism, feel free to avoid the Wan Shi Tong board or leave ASN. We will not tolerate bashing any longer or it will be a never ending vicious cycle.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 08:56 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
badstudent
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2013 03:55 pm »

I thought the Search turned out pretty good. I have my issues with it, but overall I liked it. The high point would have to be the spiritual elements; they felt like a true extension of the Avatar world. It'll be interesting to see if Koh shows up in later comics or sometime in Korra. The Mother of Faces fits into the Search well enough, but there had to be a reason to bring up that she's Koh's mother and can reverse his face-stealing. It could possibly be just further world building, but Koh sharing Azula's mommy issues feels like it may be building up to something.

I'm a little disappointed with what they felt necessary to reveal. They added a lot of convoluted motivation to Ozai's actions against Zuko which were both unnecessary and didn't develop him. Ursa's motivations in this weren't as bad as I worried they'd be, but as with the Korra finale, they felt too rushed. This story would have benefited greatly from being animated or better prioritizing panel use. We also didn't get to see why Azula was convinced Ursa thought she was a monster, which seems like it should have been a top priority for this story. With her running away after having a personal crisis, I'm assuming we're up for another storyline with her later on that will delve into this.

I do like how they've set that up. Zuko and Ursa's actions and words of regret towards her have obviously shaken her up, and she needs time alone to think. She's got a lot of reconsidering to do and she needs the time to grow as a person; however she's going to need support. Ursa, Zuko, and Iroh are now at a point where I think they're beginning to understand her issues and are open to helping her once she's at a point to accept that help.

I hope it's alright if I continue discussion from the spoiler thread, but it seems a lot of people in there were digging up personal theories and treating them as fact in the show:

Azula never went around slaughtering her own troops and stabbing infants or whatever for fun. She's a nasty person who gave her father inspiration for his plan to burn down the Earth Kingdom and was totally ok with that, has been horrible to her family and friends, and was active in an imperialist military campaign. That's bad enough, you don't need to exaggerate.

On the other hand, while Azula is a victim of her upbringing she is still responsible for her actions, has to face the consequences, and if she is to be redeemed atone for them. There's also no evidence Iroh hates her; they have a strained relationship, and they both have added to that. It looks like he's open to helping her now, which is good. It may have been he didn't realize until now how much Ozai's upbringing had damaged her; hindsight's 20-20.
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:03 pm »

^ As I live outside the US, miles away from anything resembling a comic book store, I won't be able to get my hands on a copy for quite a while. Could you elaborate a bit on Azula's confrontation with Ursa/Noriko and subsequent running away? As in, apart from what was already spoiled for us in previous reviews, any other interesting details?

Check out my new fanfiction, Before Asunder: Project Void, at fanfiction.net

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10514172/1/Before-Asunder-Project-Void
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:07 pm »

I read it. I don't know what to say. Ursa...at least she admits she's a failure as a mother. But you know what? Even if this whole thing contradicted her entire character from the show, I like the idea of "Not a best mother = Ursa". It could have been done better than this. "Never forget who you are" are such strong words, yet she does the same. I'd like it more if her personality had some Azula traits. Smart, manipulative and nice at heart. That's what the show made her look like into my eyes and I would have greatly enjoyed it.

Anyway, Azula... stop breaking my heart dammit. "Even when you're strong, you're weak" ... You know, if Grey Delise voiced the lines she said in the last pages, it would have probably made me tear up a bit.

Aang-Sokka-Katara ...Nothing much, little plot line with Koh there. But mostly all 3 of them felt like "We're here because this franchise is called Avatar, not Zukatar and his magical family"

Overall... It was...nice? I don't know. I don't enjoy the writing in our ATLA comics in general.  

^ As I live outside the US, miles away from anything resembling a comic book store, I won't be able to get my hands on a copy for quite a while. Could you elaborate a bit on Azula's confrontation with Ursa/Noriko and subsequent running away? As in, apart from what was already spoiled for us in previous reviews, any other interesting details?

Nothing much. Noriko's last line to Azula was "I'm sorry that I didn't love you enough" and Real!Ursa didn't get to speak with her. She ran away before Ursa got her face back.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 04:10 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:11 pm »

^How about the lines that made you tear up? That's saying something.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:12 pm »

I haven't read it yet either but out of curiousity, did Azula run away on her own choice or was she chased off by Zuko and friends?

If you've read my post in other threads, you know why I'm asking this.Wink

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:20 pm »

No, it's the faces she makes (Really powerful expressions by the way). She does tell Noriko if Kiyi is the replacement, because her first daughter turned out be a monster. And Noriko apologizes and she tears up XD

I haven't read it yet either but out of curiousity, did Azula run away on her own choice or was she chased off by Zuko and friends?

She runs way on her accord. She looks back at Zuko with a teary face and says "Even when you're strong, you're weak" and runs away. Zuko did try to call her back but she didn't respond. Aang believes that she can change and tells Sokka to not interpret everything in a wrong way.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 04:25 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:22 pm »

Oh, well that's what I was hoping for. Good for her!

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
neosoc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:57 pm »

No, it's the faces she makes (Really powerful expressions by the way). She does tell Noriko if Kiyi is the replacement, because her first daughter turned out be a monster. And Noriko apologizes and she tears up XD

She runs way on her accord. She looks back at Zuko with a teary face and says "Even when you're strong, you're weak" and runs away. Zuko did try to call her back but she didn't respond. Aang believes that she can change and tells Sokka to not interpret everything in a wrong way.

*Tears up, channeling Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh*

Hang in there, Azula!

In all seriousness, though, I look back and feel really dumb for being worried that they would end Azula's involvement in The Search in an anticlimactic/downer way. Because this, what you've described, just might be the most satisfying way possible to have done so. When Gene Yang said she wouldn't necessarily get a "happy ending" in The Search, I took it the wrong way, thinking she would die or get re-institutionalized; she gets a SATISFYING ending. She unwittingly finally gives Zuko and Aang a glimpse at the hurt that is the core of her behavior, and runs off leaving her destiny open-ended (for now), after which the Avatar himself opines that she is as open to change as anyone else.

gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Asami, the nonbending swagbender

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2013 05:12 pm »

I'm actually not disappointed with how they handled Azula! Pleased, actually - she runs off and will presumably go on some kind of intense journey and Aang is backing her up. Smiley

It could've been much worse- I was secretly scared she'd lose her face and start all over.

Dislike the Ursa plot and most of the rest though.

“Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'”
 -Alexander Dumas, The Counte of Monte Cristo

Icon by Plushu Smiley
Apex
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ASN's Hiei

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2013 05:28 pm »

I got to see this comic. Damn it, why we have to wait till November 12?

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2013 05:40 pm »

Did anyone else get the vibe that Zuko and Azula's fight was a reverse mirror of the one they had in "The Avatar State".

Zuko easily avoided her strikes and took her down with her own lightning . He seems to completely outclass her.  Through out the search the only person she's beaten has been Sokka,   my word how the mighty have fallen.

It looks like all the pillers that her life has been built on have been pulled away.  

I'm now hoping they go somewhere with this.

Did you miss me?
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2013 06:25 pm »

Just read the Comics....hmmmm I'm pleasantly surprised actually

first and foremost, the thing that pleases me the most is Azula.....If GeBryke wants to make it obvious that they're planning a redemption arc for her, then this comic would be a literal slap to the face. The characters, particularly Aang, and even Katara, voice out that they have hope that Azula would change. As Aang said, and I quote:

"But it doesn't have to be like that! people change! I mean, she gave that letter back to Zuko didn't she? there's no way to know for sure But i think she meant to do it"

And not only that, but in the final fight, Zuko was, for the first time, greatly considerate for her well being:

"That morning on the cliff....Azula, our relationship is so messed up. It's been like that as long as i can remember, and maybe it'll be like that for the rest of our lives. But one fact never changes, no matter what, you're still my
sister."

Take note that in this scene, Ursa hasn't revealed that the letter was a lie all along, and that Zuko still believed that she's his half sister, but despite that, he is willing, very willing, to help her. He could've given up the throne and live with them...he did consider it, but I love it when he realized giving up on his old family, on the Royal Family and Azula, simply because  it's broken and imperfect compared to Ikem's family, is the wrong thing to do, exemplified when Azula tried to reason with him that making her Firelord, making her get rid of  Ursa, and getting him to live a life of not being a Firelord would finally bring them happiness. Zuko then said the above line,

and here is when it is clear that Azula had a change of heart. her impending tears and her broken look when he said she's still a sister to him, and when she made a run for it, she left the letter behind, with Zuko calling out for her that he wants to help her, and with an epically sad close up panel of Azula with tears falling saying:

"same as always Zuzu. Even when you're strong, you're weak."

before vanishing into the woods, and her face, oh god her face, it's just soooooo sad, especially earlier into the fight when she addressed the fact that  Kiyi  is  Usa's replacement of  her, because "her last one turned out to be a monster" and just ooooouuuuuchhhhhhright into the Azula feels!

It is clear that there'll be more of Azula  in the future. the only thing that disappointed me regarding her in this comics is that she never got to see her mom with her old face and her old memories....but that, i think, is something she's not mentally and emotionally not ready for yet, and that she needs more time to work out her issues first before coming to terms with her mother without the risk of frying her up.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 06:31 pm by fire nation spirit » Logged
badstudent
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2013 06:31 pm »

^^ (To Gundleer's post) I'm curious where they're taking that too. It makes sense she'd be beaten pretty easily. Azula was always powerful, but the thing that made her such an excellent combatant was her control. She's still formidable, but Zuko's more composed and can keep his head straight (well mostly). It looks like they're setting her up for redemption (tragic failure is still possible), so maybe her firebending just gets worse until she reaches an epiphany and comes back better than ever. Zuko's Firelord, Azula gets to be the pheonix reborn from the ashes, and Ozai cries in his cell because he gets nothing.

I know there was all that speculation about the old lady shaman in the last Korra episodes being Azula, but what if she's even older like the Guru? Maybe Azula runs into her and gets some guidance?

I want to know what Ozai's game is. Did he do all this just to be a jerk? Did he expect Azula to take out Zuko and Ursa then hand him the throne again? Is this just a way to distract Zuko and the Avatar while he escapes?
TheLastAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2013 06:35 pm »

So I just brought and read this and had to put my 2 cents out there...

Overall the storyline was okay, it was pretty heavy with little levity, but it suited the story.  I liked the spiritual elements.  But to be honest, I was really here for the Ursa storyline.  And to find out what happens with Azula.

To be truthful, I was a bit disappointed.  Finding out the Ursa went to the Mother of All Faces and chose to not only get a new face, but also chose to forget her entire old life except Ikem (aka Noren, who had his face changed years ago by Mother) kind of put me off.  I understand her pain and torment of losing her children, but that was not what I personally wanted to see.  People will end up debating this and disagree with me, and in a sense I agree that she deserves happiness, but leaving behind Zuko telling him to not forget who he is while choosing to forget him is kind of messed up/sad/hypocritical in my eyes.  If you disagree, I respect that because I understand, but I just can't get behind it.  Then again she was pretty messed up and sad already...  I dunno, I have mixed feelings about this, maybe I need more time to digest this all.  But personally, I would have been happier if the story ended with Zuko and Azula not finding Ursa alive, only her tombstone.

Azula...  I was kind of hoping that Azula would find some semblance of peace.  Maybe learn to become a Fire Sage under Shyu (cough, and becomes the Fire Sage that saves Korra in Beginnings...  cough).  Having it end with her running off and disappearing was kind of a let down, her fate is up in the air yet again.  Sad  

I did like seeing Zuko come into his own and even admit to Azula that he wanted to help her.  Seeing her so emotional after confronting Ursa and Zuko was sad.  

And as we all knew, there is no redemption for Ozai.  What a #$^%@&!  The flashback that shows he knows Ursa was lying about Ikem being Zuko's father and chose to hurt/insult/abuse him to hurt Ursa is monstrous.   The part where he explained how he planned to hurt Zuko to follow her wishes to make sure he is nothing like Ozai was chilling.

And dammit, I miss Toph.  Looking forward to the next book, which I hope will be better than this one.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2013 06:39 pm »

So, how was Zuko reacting to Kiyi? Is she his new replacement sister? Did they actually interact?

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2013 06:42 pm »

Azula...  I was kind of hoping that Azula would find some semblance of peace.  Maybe learn to become a Fire Sage under Shyu (cough, and becomes the Fire Sage that saves Korra in Beginnings...  cough).  Having it end with her running off and disappearing was kind of a let down, her fate is up in the air yet again.  Sad

The books always leave something open for the next series. I would not be surprised if we get another series featuring Azula in 2015.

fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2013 06:48 pm »

So, how was Zuko reacting to Kiyi? Is she his new replacement sister? Did they actually interact?

yes, and they got along really well in fact. when Zuko went into their house to confront URsa, Kiyi estatically greeted him with a hug

now, surprisingly, Azula voiced out what the fandom was thinking, that Kiyi is Ursa's replacement of her "because her first one turned out to be a monster"

but now that i think about it.....the comic just ended with Zuko and Ursa with her old face and memories, talking, and catching up....and we never got to see Kiyi since the fight....how the hell will Noren and everyone else explain to a mere 6 year old what just happened??? O.O
Apex
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ASN's Hiei

« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2013 07:00 pm »

I was so wrong after actually reading the comic. Ursa forgetting her children was bad, but I can forgive her. My favorite part of the comic was the powerful moment between Azula and Zuko. Azula was touched and yet angry with him at the same time. Deep down, she loves her brother. The Search Part 3 was by far the best comic of ATLA so far. It was that good. The only thing I hate is Azula's story being left open. I have to see her heal and see her journey. Forget the stinkin Rift. I want to an Azula based comic. That is what is so disappointing.

TheLastAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2013 07:13 pm »

I kind of love that Zuko and Azula have a half-sibling in Kiyi.  When she hugged Zuko when he came back and called him her bestest best friend made me laugh.  Granted she looked really freaked out and confused when Noreen/Ikem revealed Ursa's real identity and then when Azula came bursting in with lightning.  Later when Ursa turns down talking to her to talk to Zuko first, I wished we would have seen how she reacted to her mother having a new (old) face and being the sister of the Fire Lord (and a nutso sister).

I can forgive Ursa, it's a really messed up situation.  And even she in the end notes she messed up as a mother, something Zuko doesn't explicitly disagree with, but he is willing to forgive her so how can I not?  Still, it was pretty messed up, lol.  I like that Zuko didn't just easily forgive the fact she forgot him, just accepted it as part of their journey. 

Yeah looking back, the Azula/Zuko stuff in this entire series has been my favorite stuff.  I always enjoyed how those two characters played off each other.  And seeing Zuko get over his hang-ups with her to try and help her heal was really impressive.  And while I won't say Azula is ready to love, I think she's feeling real shame with who she perceives herself to be (a monster).  Yes, I'm annoyed Azula's story was left hanging, but hopefully it grows.  I just hope they don't drag it out too long.  These books take a while for them to release and I'm impatient, lol.

zoro07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2013 07:39 pm »

Looks like this comic will silence the silly "Zuko hates Azula" people, which is good.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2013 07:48 pm »

^I wouldn't count on it, just like how there are still fans out there that are convinced that Sokka is Lin's father or Aang hated (and I mean hate) his other two kids.

Is it true that Ursa doe acknowledged what she did was selfish and hypocritical of her do that? If she does at least acknowledge that she was a bad mother then I could let it side.

The comic review sites should really consider not giving away spoilers otherwise we will blow it out of proportion.
TheLastAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:29 pm »

Here is a quick transcript of the conversation between Zuko and Ursa.  The interesting thing is until the very last panel, they don't really touch or hug.  They kind of walk around like strangers or acquaintances, not Mother and Son.  Considering the circumstances and everything, I found that appropriate.  Just like I found it appropriate that Zuko didn't just gloss over Ursa forgetting him or Ursa making excuses.  It was very...  mature.

[POST AZULA FIGHT]

Zuko and Ura looks toward Noreen/Ikem and Kiyi who are making a pot of stew over a campfire.  Ikem and Ursa's house has a huge hole in the roof where Azula broke in, covered by a tarp and rocks.  Ursa looks like herself again, although slightly older, still beautiful...  but sad.

Zuko [staring at Ikem and Kiyi]:  You should go to them.
Ursa:  No.  You and I need to talk.

Ursa leads Zuko away from her house silently, staring at the ground.

Ursa finally looks up to look at Zuko.

Ursa:  Zuko, what I said to Azula...  I owe you that same apology.  I'm sorry I didn't love you enough.
Zuko:  Don't say that.
Ursa (looks ashamed):  But it's true.  I...  I forgot you.  What kind of mother forgets her son?
Zuko:  Things turned out okay.  I've got some good friends now, and a life I can be proud of. (smiles)
Ursa (small smile):  And a crown on your head!  You look so handsome Zuko.  I may not have a right to be, but I'm proud of you too.
Zuko:  I know I'm the Fire Lord because it's my destiny...

Zuko looks away and reaches into his pocket, pulling out Ursa's letter saying Ikem is Zuko's father.

Zuko:  ...Even so mother, I need to know more about this.  (hands Ursa the letter, much to her surprise)

Ursa looks at the letter and looks up at her son.

Ursa:  What I wrote here...  isn't true.

[We see a flashback of Ozai telling Ursa he had Ikem killed.  Ursa can't understand why since Ozai knows Zuko is his son, which he confirms he knows.  But he wants to understand why.  Ursa admits wanting to know if he was reading her letters, and partially because she wished Zuko was Ikem's son so he would be nothing like Ozai.  Ozai then tells her if she wants Zuko to be treated like the son of a low-life dog, that's what he'll do.  He tells her every time he abuses, hurts or injures Zuko, he is only doing as she wished, much to her horror.  End flashback.]

Ursa (hugging herself):  Ozai is a wretched man.  To treat you like that, just to get back at me.  Especially when you were so young...

Zuko looks down at the letter, disappointed.  

Zuko:  So he is my father.
Ursa:  Yes

Zuko looks a little dejected, but not surprised.

Ursa:  Tell me what you're feeling Zuko (stops short of reaching out to touch his shoulder)
Zuko:  I feel...  I feel like things are the way they are meant to be.

Ursa (shuts her eyes):  There's so much I want to tell you ...  About your father... About Ikem...  About my life here in Hira'a.  My marraige to Ozai was just so...  So...

Zuko:  Wait.  I want to know everything.  From the beginning.

Ursa looks surprised.

Ursa:  Everything?
Zuko (smiles):  Everything.

Ursa loops her arm through Zuko's and they stare at the setting sun.

Ursa:  For you my dear, I'll start at the beginning...

-FIN-

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 08:34 pm by TheLastAvatar » Logged

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:36 pm »

Zuko: Wait.  I want to know everything.  From the beginning.
Ursa: Everything?
Zuko: Everything.
Ursa: For you my dear, I'll start at the beginning...

Isn't that the quote at the very top of the first page of The Search, Part 1?

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
badstudent
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:45 pm »

^I wouldn't count on it, just like how there are still fans out there that are convinced that Sokka is Lin's father or Aang hated (and I mean hate) his other two kids.

Is it true that Ursa doe acknowledged what she did was selfish and hypocritical of her do that? If she does at least acknowledge that she was a bad mother then I could let it side.

The comic review sites should really consider not giving away spoilers otherwise we will blow it out of proportion.

She does acknowledge it. After getting her memories back she apologizes to Zuko and asks "what kind of mother forgets her children." The scene with her giving up her memories was meant to be a moment of weakness I think, but everything was too rushed for my taste. I think this story would have worked better animated.

I do like the art though. The use of color is fantastic. Zuko's outfit and fire give him a warm appearance, whereas the cooler color scheme of Azula's design and the lighting of her blue fire just makes her look sickly and cold.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: