Nov 18, 2018 12:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Artbook] TLoK Book One: Air - The Art of the Animated Series  (Read 10439 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Feb 06, 2013 08:28 pm »

Temporary cover art:

Confirmed cover art:

The Legend of Korra Book One: Air - The Art of the Animated Series has been announced. Below are descriptions of the book.

Korra Book 1 Art Book Confirmed and The Search Part 2 Cover + Description
Korra Art Book 1
Airspeed Prime posted Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 9 Comments
Listed as: Avatar Comics, Avatar The Last Airbender, Avatar The Legend of Korra
155Share

Two huge pieces of news have just been released. Both come from Kotaku.
Korra Book 1 Air Art Book

Korra Art Book 1

THE LEGEND OF KORRA: THE ART OF THE ANIMATED SERIES BOOK ONE-AIR HC

Michael Dante DiMartino (W) and Bryan Konietzko (W/Cover)

On sale July 24
FC, 184 pages
$34.99
HC, 9″ x 12″

This handsome hardcover contains hundreds of pieces of never-before-seen artwork created during the development of Season 1 of The Legend of Korra. With captions from Mike and Bryan throughout, this is an intimate look inside the creative process that brought the mystical world of bending and a new generation of heroes to life!

• Captions by creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko!

• Follow-up to smash hit animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender!

• Never-before-seen artwork!

Here are a couple of preview images:

Edit: As you can see from this post, Bryan released the official cover art for the art book.

I’m excited to share with you the final cover art (Korra drawn by Joaquim Dos Santos and painted by me, with a background painting by Fred Stewart) for the upcoming Korra Book One: Air art book, published by our good friends at Dark Horse Books. This was a real labor of love (heavy on the labor) for Mike, Joaquim, and me and all those who helped as we put this book together, and we are so proud of all the great artists’ work inside and can’t wait to share it with all of you. The plan is to do one of these art books per “book” of Korra (so four total), which is daunting yet fantastic.

Direct market on sale date: July 24, 2013.

Book market on sale date: August 6, 2013.

9” x 12” hardcover, 144 pages
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2013 09:58 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
pyue
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013 09:21 pm »

I really hope that this is legitimate. I can't find much about it on other sites. 
Ah, I never expected this to come out so soon! I thought we would have to wait until after the series ended and get one book for the whole series. It's a lot better this way, though. Hopefully we get to see more art with the individual books.

Kind of disappointed at that cover, though. It seems like that picture is being used for EVERYTHING.

wei is bae
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2013 09:28 pm »

The primary source appears to be Kotaku. I'm just gonna go ahead and believe them, cuz OMGOMGOMGOMG ARTBOOK ARTBOOK ARTBOOK!!!!!!!!

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Aangs True Love
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"That lady is my hero."

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013 09:41 pm »

This is PHENOMENAL news.  I am in love with the art book from the original series.  It's one of the most beautiful books I've ever seen.  I can only imagine that with Korra's even higher quality animation, that this book will be beyond gorgeous!  I'm getting shivers just thinking about it! Cheesy

I keep TokKataangletoe/Toph's statue/Aang's legacy/Bolin's dumplings/Lin's sacrifice.
Let your heart guide you. It whispers...so listen closely. <3 Icon=Maivry
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:06 pm »

Seriously, I assume now there will be... FOUR ART BOOKS? That is an unusual amount of gorgeous art and detailed insight into the creation process, world and characters.

*flails*

*starts saving money*
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013 10:11 pm by nukilik » Logged
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm »

Oh my god!!! I am too psyched!!! So glad they're doing each book separately!!

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm »

There's only one thing that can really sum up what I think of this news: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

Sig by Guitarfreak.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm »

Seriously, I assume now there will be... FOUR ART BOOKS? THAT IS AN UNUSUAL AMOUNT OF GORGEOUS ART! Shocked

*flails*

They should do the same with Avatar too. We have the artbook already, but it would be awesome if they released a book per season, of not just artwork but also tons and tons of info, and then another extra book for non-season material (development, things that got scrapped *cough finding Ursa storyboard from finale cough*, etc).

Then we can put it all together, all the ATLA books and all the TLOK books, and make an Avatar Encyclopedia.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm »

Imagine all the money I'll have to spend on each tome.

I wonder if they will combine all 4 art books into one mega huge art book. It'll be way too thick and heavy, right? Hmm...

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm »

184 each book would make... 736 pages for the entire thing  Tongue

But seriously, SO MUCH GOODNESS that manages to please my animation and art geek and my Avatar geek at the same time <3
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:20 pm »

I can already wince at the dreaded shipping cost for a 736 page book. Nooo.

184 pages hmm? That would make it about 15 pages per episode...? Maybe? Hmm.

momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:22 pm »

Imagine all the money I'll have to spend on each tome.

I wonder if they will combine all 4 art books into one mega huge art book. It'll be way too thick and heavy, right? Hmm...
I don't know. I had intended on waiting for all 3 seasons of ATLA in one case, but it never happened.

Sig by arasam22
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:25 pm »

184 pages hmm? That would make it about 15 pages per episode...? Maybe? Hmm.

Well, I assume a good chunk of it is early development of the new setting, new style, new antagonists and main cast, not related to any specific episode. The general stuff.

THEN what's left (the specific designs) are divided by episodes. Much like in the ATLA book. So probably not quite that much per episode, but close.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm by nukilik » Logged
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm »

"We came up with the backstory that people in the Southern Water Tribe usually feared polar bear dogs, but when Korra was a kid she courageously befriended a pup that was lost in the tundra and named her Naga." (from the Naga preview page)

D'AWWWWWW Cheesy

I mean, we already knew the bit about people in the SWT being afraid of polar bear dogs and that Korra had been the only person to ever tame one, but I don't think it had been specified that she did it when she was a little kid and Naga was a pup :3

I guess this type of fanart is pretty accurate then!

(d'awwww)

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm »

184 each book would make... 736 pages for the entire thing  Tongue

But seriously, SO MUCH GOODNESS that manages to please my animation and art geek and my Avatar geek at the same time <3

Not a shabby Avatar Encyclopedia! Should be able to meet all our geeky requirements.

Remember how much of ATLA's three seasons they fitted into ATLA's artbook? I can't even began to imagine what they'll cover on each LOK book individually.  Shocked
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013 10:31 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm »

I need an official baby Naga sketch now! I wonder if we'll have a flashback scene of Korra meeting Naga.

King Kazma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm »

I'm kinda shocked we're getting this at all. I always assumed one art book would be released after Korra was over, so this, and the thought of an art book for each season of the show has me overjoyed. Time to build an Avatar art book shelf I guess. Grin

The end of July is so far away right now! O:

people let me post dammit! Cheesy
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm »

It feels like Dark Horse and Nickelodeon they went full milking mode with Avatar lately.

First, collected editions of Promise that screw over day 1 buyers, now this art books for each seasons of Korra.

Not that i mind much as long as content will be there.

Oh, and the cover for the book was drawn by Bryan, he posted these individual character drafts on his tumblr. Neat.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm by azekeprofit » Logged

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm »

"We came up with the backstory that people in the Southern Water Tribe usually feared polar bear dogs, but when Korra was a kid she courageously befriended a pup that was lost in the tundra and named her Naga." (from the Naga preview page)

D'AWWWWWW Cheesy

I mean, we already knew the bit about people in the SWT being afraid of polar bear dogs and that Korra had been the only person to ever tame one, but I don't think it had been specified that she did it when she was a little kid and Naga was a pup :3

I guess this type of fanart is pretty accurate then!

(d'awwww)

Cute indeed. So I guess this means that they DID let her out of the compound from time to time? Unless the polar bear dog got past HOWL and the rest and chilled out. I originally thought with that whole SWT being afraid of the dogs would have meant that Korra muscled her way into Naga's affections by being awesome.

Oh well, still cute.
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2013 11:46 pm »

This is great news!  My only nitpick is that they slapped the title over the best part of the picture.  Tongue
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013 01:08 am »

184pgs is pretty decent! I'd like to see a bit more preview artwork, though.

earth_lizard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2013 02:10 am »

GAH SO AWESOME.

I have so many artbooks, lol. Looks like a new one to add to the collection. Grin

iKeep: Bolin's green eyes, the new winged lemur species
My Graphics
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013 03:48 am »

FANGASMING RIGHT NAO

and an Avatar ENCYCLOPEDIA? I wish that'd be mandatory for every school library from now on Cheesy
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013 04:33 am »

Yeah if the quality of this matches the ATLA art book I just want it all. I think in the ATLA one they say that its just a small selection so maybe the Korra ones could cover more material that could be lost if it was just one larger volume?
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013 09:02 am »

Yeah if the quality of this matches the ATLA art book I just want it all. I think in the ATLA one they say that its just a small selection so maybe the Korra ones could cover more material that could be lost if it was just one larger volume?
I would expect there to be a lot more for the Korra ones. Some ATLA episodes were condensed into 1 page and some characters and designs never made it in. Also considering that Korra only has 12 episodes and most of it takes place in Republic City there's less to cover, yet so much epic goodness that won't be forgotten!

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: