Aug 20, 2017 01:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THQ going under. Who will take the game rights to Avatar TLA and LOK?  (Read 7279 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kick logic out and do the impossible.

« on: Jan 26, 2013 12:19 am »

So now that THQ, the video game publisher who helmed the development of all the previous Avatar console and handeld games [as well as all other nickelodeon franchises] anyone else curious who will be taking the reigns of making future Avatar video games?

Any high hopes that the franchise will be handed to a half decent developer in the near future?

Go see Mae Witman (our lady Waterbender) as Roxanne Richer in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013 11:41 am »

Nah, if Nick is going to give the rights to someone else it'll probably be to someone like UbiSoft who will just use it for shovelware like THQ before them.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013 01:32 pm »

They can't be far worse shovelware than the titles THQ gave us. Ubisoft has a much stronger lineup of franchises and developers under their belt. In fact, I think they had the best E3 showcase of 2012.

Go see Mae Witman (our lady Waterbender) as Roxanne Richer in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2013 10:33 pm »

Yeah, Ubisoft or Activision.

Actually Activision woulnd't be too bad, they have a few "kiddy"-tier studios that are actually pretty good, like nSpace, Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob (skylanders creators).

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
Noob32
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm »

EA
that would be great ATLA with Frostbite 2 and 1024 player multiplayer+huge maps+vehicle support(all vehicles available on ATLA with their full capacity)+ATLoK & The Promise & The Search EXP/DLC's.

Not trolling, Just better forumfielding™
#KeeperofLieutesami
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm »

Not EA. I don't want buggy games with a force online connection and pointless focus on multiplayer.

If I want a MMORPG, I'd rather someone else do it. But I don't want a MMORPG, I want a game that's fun to play by myself.

azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2013 10:36 pm »

Too bad that ATLA isn't more popular in Japan.

I'd be up if some japanese studio picked up license and made dating sim based on Korra or something Cheesy

PM if you see a mistake
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2013 05:01 pm »

So long as it had a sense of humor, I'd give it a whirl. Grin

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2013 11:40 pm »

Personally I would be more into an open world action adventure title with a city and mission structure similar Infamous or Jak 2/3, and a combat system similar to God of War. Like how Kratos is able to swap out four different weapons and god powers, Aang (or Korra) could swap out different bending and special moves.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2013 12:01 am »

Or we could just edit Zelda's hair black. It's already a "Legend of ... "

Both AtlA and LoK are very linear stories. Maybe some dialogues can be different, or you could meet someone out in the street instead of iroh's tea shop, but stray too far and you make an important plot point impossible. Lose a pro bending match and the crew won't be in the finals, and miss amon's party.

Face it though. Avatar is niche stuff. It will never get a big game, at most it will be used as a cash-in on a test platform, of which certain game engine tweaks or control elements may or may not end up in an actual original game. Aka uninspired, tacked on, buggy and repetitive.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Noob32
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2013 01:26 pm »

Too bad that ATLA isn't more popular in Japan.

I'd be up if some japanese studio picked up license and made dating sim based on Korra or something Cheesy

Are you nuts?All japanese game companies (except konami and square enix) s**k.I dont like any japanese companies.

If ATLA's game would make Valve,there would be no cutscenes.So,then,there will be moving only.+I'd love ATLA game to you are able to switch to FPV or TPV.But it could be fun running to assignments.So,Valve could make ATLA game.

Who else?

Activision?No.No CoD fails in ATLA game.Maybe AV Blizzard would,but it would be a RPG then.

SEGA?No,i dont think so.

Rockstar Games?Candidate too.But,as GTA is OW game,then it may lose.

Ubisoft?A candidate.

Bohemia interactive also can.

But EA can too.EA doesn't make games,they have got sister companies.And,if DICE would make ATLA game which would be as cool as BF3,then it would be fine.

#KeeperofLieutesami
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2013 01:30 pm »

All japanese game companies (except konami and square enix) s**k.I dont like any japanese companies.
Go to bed, Phil Fish.

PM if you see a mistake
Noob32
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2013 01:42 pm »

All japanese game companies (except konami and square enix) s**k.I dont like any japanese companies.
Go to bed, Phil Fish.
Read whole text i wrote

#KeeperofLieutesami
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2013 05:16 pm »

Face it though. Avatar is niche stuff. It will never get a big game, at most it will be used as a cash-in on a test platform, of which certain game engine tweaks or control elements may or may not end up in an actual original game. Aka uninspired, tacked on, buggy and repetitive.

Ducktails was niche stuff, back in the day. I didn't know anyone who was calling for a Ducktails game before it came out.

High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2013 08:20 pm »

Ducktails was niche stuff, back in the day. I didn't know anyone who was calling for a Ducktails game before it came out.
Even more so when it comes to stuff like The Darkness, Sam and Max, The Witcher (If you live outside Poland), and Parasite Eve, a good chunk of video game adaptions are more obscure than Avatar and quality games to boot.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2013 08:33 pm by High Elemental » Logged

Graywand
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2013 08:26 pm »

They could give it to Stardock, we could have Sins of an Elemental Nation  Wink

Sig by CherryRose, read the revised story it goes with here. (http://tinyurl.com/29jqpe3}
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2013 03:38 am »

I get that Avatar could be a long ways away from seeing a truly good game. After all, Batman has been far more than just a cult hit for decades, and even he didn't get a truly good video game till Arkham Asylum.

But is it too much to ask to give it to a niche developer that has proven themselves to be maybe just slightly competent?
Like Ninja Theory: Fanboys can say whatever the hell they want about the DMC reboot. I loved it. Enslaved was also good.
Eurocom: a bit hit or miss, but Crash Bash was okay, and Sphinx is a piece of overlooked brilliance in my opinion.
Superbot: Despite Play Station All Stars being a dud as far as the market was concerned, I wouldn't say it was completely useless.
Sanzaru: For not being the original developer of the Sly series, they made a mostly very faithful 4th installment.
Traveler's Tales: A LEGO installment would be fun.
Vicarious Visions: They managed to give Spyro some new life in the Skylanders series, for better or worse.
DoubleFine: ...What, too crazy?
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2013 03:05 am by Avatarleo » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2013 06:36 pm »

Heck, it doesn't even have to be anyone with a track-record. The Goldeneye 64 team at Rare had never done an FPS before and rushed the job through to completion by working in completely compartmentalized dev-teams (like one team doing the level construction, a completely separate team doing the mission design, and one lone guy putting together the multiplayer). It ended up being groundbreaking completely by accident.

I'd be more than pleased by a happy accident for the Avatar franchise.

Noob32
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2013 07:21 am »

Heck, it doesn't even have to be anyone with a track-record. The Goldeneye 64 team at Rare had never done an FPS before and rushed the job through to completion by working in completely compartmentalized dev-teams (like one team doing the level construction, a completely separate team doing the mission design, and one lone guy putting together the multiplayer). It ended up being groundbreaking completely by accident.

I'd be more than pleased by a happy accident for the Avatar franchise.
Yep,EA in years now got worst company title...

I'd like Avatar be something Like Battlefield 3(No,not including modern tehnologies&guns)...

#KeeperofLieutesami
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2013 12:42 am »

I think shows like Avatar most readily lend themselves to fighting games, like the Naruto or Dragonball Z games.  Nothing revolutionary, just a fun way to pass time.  Just imagine the roster...

The best developers I can think of for that style of game would probably be something like Capcom or Namco Bandai Games.  Capcom has a horrible track record with on-disc DLC recently though, so while I think they could make a good game I don't actually want them to make an Avatar game.
Graywand
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2013 09:45 am »

It would also lend itself to strategy games as well. We could have a Total War style game about the Four Nations duking it out during the century prior to Aang's reemergence.

-Gray

Sig by CherryRose, read the revised story it goes with here. (http://tinyurl.com/29jqpe3}
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Apr 28, 2013 11:00 pm »

Good: the Avatar video games sucked.

At least on PS2...

But I don't want a MMORPG, I want a game that's fun to play by myself.

This post!!!

I think shows like Avatar most readily lend themselves to fighting games, like the Naruto or Dragonball Z games.  Nothing revolutionary, just a fun way to pass time.  Just imagine the roster...

The best developers I can think of for that style of game would probably be something like Capcom or Namco Bandai Games.  Capcom has a horrible track record with on-disc DLC recently though, so while I think they could make a good game I don't actually want them to make an Avatar game.

Avatar would also lend itself well to a action RPG like X-Men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2013 05:56 pm »

Yeah, I could see something like that, and it would even be a good way to involve a multiplayer aspect while also preserving the team/character-development approach.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm »

Personally, I think Legend of Korra lends itself well to a sandbox action game like Infamous. Heck, even the plot of Infamous 2 has some very peculiar parallels to Book 1 of Legend of Korra. (Both Bertrand and Amon are monsters who hide of their powers from the public and seek to eradicate conduits/benders from existence.)

Republic City can work very similarly to Empire city, where you can complete side missions (taking out the bending triads and the equalist camps) to clean out the city and keep it safe to traverse. You can travel on foot, by car, leap across buildings with certain bending powers, or hitch a ride on Naga. If you step out of line or hurt civilians, there could be a notoriety meter like in Assassin's Creed or GTA that will go off, which will make Lin's Metalbenders start to chase after you.

You can have different combat combos and special moves for each of the four elements (similar to the four different weapons in God of War 3) and as you gain experience in combat, you can choose which elements you want to Level up.

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2013 05:48 pm »

You guys are thinking too big under the assumption that an Avatar game will have this little thing called a "budget"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: