Nov 15, 2019 05:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mai gets a solo story for Free Comic Book Day [Spoilers within!]  (Read 72160 times)
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2012 03:04 am »

^ ^ ^

I think how bad Makorra was is over exaggerated.

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2012 03:28 am »

one thing i don't like tho, is how mai's character is tied yet again to zuko >.<
mai has a lot of potential, but i feel that having her related so much to zuko ruins that potential :|

Exactly. It'd be pretty disappointing if the focus of this really is her heartbreak about Zuko. I basically agree with Spirit of Flame. That description could just be marketing though.

Actually having the heartbreak BE the center of the comic can be a good thing, provided Mai learns to be a little more of her own character instead of tied up to someone(this includes Ty Lee).]

if they actually can get out of the breakup and get more into being her own that is

one thing i don't like tho, is how mai's character is tied yet again to zuko >.<
mai has a lot of potential, but i feel that having her related so much to zuko ruins that potential :|

Exactly. It'd be pretty disappointing if the focus of this really is her heartbreak about Zuko. I basically agree with Spirit of Flame. That description could just be marketing though.

Let's examine the cover for a second, we have Mai with roses in one hand and knives in the other. Why is that? Obviously, if the cover is an indication of the plot, the focus is going to be a certain duality to Mai's nature. It may not be a Mai pining for Zuko plot so much as a Mai trying to figure out what she's useful for plot. Honestly, that's something I could expect from Yang. Despite what some people on tumblr and even here seem to think, Yang doesn't really pay more attention to the romance and shipping than the show ever did. I just don't see him really writing a plot where Mai is crying about being Forever Alone. If we're lucky, it may be a brief episode where Mai rediscovers what it means to be a badass, not at the expense of her feelings for Zuko, but at least not bogged down by them. Again, if we're lucky.

My best prediction is that most of the comic will be dialogue and thought bubbles as Mai watches  events unfold around her. Which means we might *gasp* hear Mai's opinion on things!  Shocked

i like this Cheesy

not that i dislike the shipping with mai, but i feel like almost everything she's done was tied to zuko
like mentioned before, if the first part was her dealing with the breakup, but if in the second half, she starts to do soul-searching on herself, then i think this could turn out good
i would like her to have her own identity and her own legacy, not just being known mainly as 'zuko's old girlfriend'

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2012 07:09 am »

I am willing to give the story a chance. I am more tolerent of romance, or characters having their indentity being tied romanically to someone. Not that it would be bad for Mai to have some development outside of a romance; it could be good if done well. It is good we are getting an update on Mai. Plus, of course, we haven't seen the story yet.

Books released for free comic book day are usually end up on sites like amazon or ebay afterwards, right?
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2012 07:27 am »

^ why buy it when you can get it for free? Cheesy

she totally needs this
Mai to have some development outside of a romance
the problem is i feel that the huge majority of what she's done in the show was all down to her relationship with zuko
especially her biggest moment, when she defied azula. it was all because she loved zuko more than she feared azula

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2012 08:01 am »

Roses? She doesn't seem to be the rose kind of person...

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 08:22 am by Lavanya Six » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2012 08:15 am »

^Yeah, when I first saw the cover and noticed the roses and the knives my first thought was: "OMG, Tuxedo Mask Mai? Me Gusta!". But then, I've realized that it is a possible scenario as some sort of strange Maiko reunion (where Mai saves Zuko (maybe from Suki *dumdumdummm*) with roses or something) so as it now stands, I can't wait to read this comic  Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2012 10:18 am »

....I think I'm a horrible  person for saying this, but Mai looks like a man in that cover art!! (the art is terrible, it's like, bad photoshop  tracing, and look at Zuko, the angle is unflattering, and his scar looked like  it got reheated by Ozai or something)

but aside from my biggest gripe about this thing, which is the art, this is a pretty (little) promising sign that they indeed got back together, and Mai IS Honora's mom (and not Suki, for god's sake that possibility was scary)

I am a bit doubtful of how the story would be 'promising', since  Gene is the writer yet again its message and cover art seemed to be heavily geared  towards shipping matters, and i fear it might ruin the Maiko relationship by making it ooze with all the OOGIES (Gene did write the oogiful Kataang of the promise after all *shudders*)
Smellerbee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Freedom Fighter

« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2012 10:28 am »

The cover art could definitely be better. I'd prefer a cover by Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante.

As for the story? ...Eehhh..

Triplets with RomoineRawr and Dorky
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2012 10:32 am »

or maybe even Rufftoon! I've always yearned for an *official spinoff comics made (art or story, or both!) by Rufftoon!

can I also point out that Mai here....creepily looked like the Mai from Jackie Diaz's "How I became yours"? *shudders*
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2012 10:40 am »

^oh man, i'd love to see rufftoon do a comic!

^^those are pretty good covers, i kinda like the simplicity of this new cover tho /shot

but aside from my biggest gripe about this thing, which is the art, this is a pretty (little) promising sign that they indeed got back together, and Mai IS Honora's mom (and not Suki, for god's sake that possibility was scary)
what sign am i missing? D:
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 10:42 am by guitarfreak » Logged

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2012 10:48 am »

The roses!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:01 am »

The roses!

i meant that it could be a hint to who Zuko ended up marrying and having babies with

just a little hint.
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:01 am »

I think this is really unneccessary. I don't understand why she gets her own comic?!
There're lots of really important 'undone' things for Avatar-The Last Airbender, but Mai gets a love story comic.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 11:03 am by KpKimberly » Logged

Sorry for my grammar.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:09 am »

but notice how she's holding roses and her knifes?
this fierceness just radiates from those 2 perpetuating images
could be that her relationship with zuko is over and we finally get to see her develop as a character on her own, and her knives is part of what defines herself as an individual

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:11 am »

The roses!

i meant that it could be a hint to who Zuko ended up marrying and having babies with

just a little hint.

I guess the answer is still "The roses!"  Cheesy. Using trustworthy shipper logic: Mai+Zuko+Roses=marriage.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:12 am »

^this isn't the shipping thread, those rules don't apply Tongue

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am »

I think this is really unneccessary. I don't understand why she gets her own comic?!
There're lots of really important 'undone' things for Avatar-The Last Airbender, but Mai gets love story comic.

I imagine it's a way to tie up a self-inflicted loose end. Yang broke up Maiko in The Promise to increase the pressure on Zuko during the colonial crisis, but doesn't want to incorporate a Maiko angle to The Search for whatever reason. So he's shuffling the problem off to this comic.

Alternately, I could see two other reasons:

1) This comic won't reunite Maiko. It's just a one-shot to give more insight into their relationship and Mai's character, to springboard the readers into a Maiko subplot for The Search. FCBD issues tend not to be terribly important to the titles they feature. They're intended (being free giveaways) to draw in new readers, so they're usually a sampling of what a given title is like.

2) Yang found out that Mai/Maiko is going to be referenced in Season 2 of TLoK, meaning the drama he was trying to drum up with a "Will they or won't they?" plot needs to be paid off before the new season starts.

That said, Gene Yang has turned out to have an unexpectedly intense focus on Zuko. Both the Promise and the Search are being driven by his actions, and so is the FCBD issue. Meanwhile Aang is shuffled off to the side as a sidekick or antagonist to Zuko's Angsty Goodness, depending on what the plot demands.
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am »

^^^^^

It is a Free Comic Book Day comic.

Quote from: FCBD
Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores

Dark Horse wants to do a free comic in one of their best-selling brands (after Star Wars that is) to get some love from comic fans.

I remember last year Dark Horse released a part of The Lost Adventures as a free comic.

Sig made by Dorky.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:21 am »

^i have last year's one Cheesy
got it with icy~

i really like the points lavanya brought up, it does make a lot of sense to have the comics in that sequence, and the reason for even having this (i'd really dislike it if they were just milking the franchise >.<)
but is it known for sure that this takes place right after the promise and right after the search?

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:28 am »

^ It is a free comic so I dont think they milking the franchise.

That said If it is true that Dark Horse will lose the Star Wars brand after Disney bought Lucasart.

So will Dark Horse promote Avatar to their new milk cow.

Sig made by Dorky.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2012 11:31 am »

Aren’t some of you guys being a bit harsh?
I mean, all we have are two names, a cover and a sentence of plot description. It seems to me like this comic is being condemned judging from one earlier story from the same writer; one single picture from the artist and one tiny line of plot description by presumably some random Dark Horse employee.

Personally I think this sounds interesting. It seems like a pretty logical choice of side story from the previous comic to use for a one-shot. Anyways I’m not one to complain much about something like this which is free.
The only thing I’m worried about if I’ll have any opportunity to get one.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2012 12:07 pm »

^^ not necessarily just this one, overall the comic franchise :|
i feel they could have been better thought out in general

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2012 12:39 pm »

So will Dark Horse promote Avatar to their new milk cow.

I hope so.

Aren’t some of you guys being a bit harsh?

Welcome to Fanbase 101, people bashed Miyamoto for not making another 2D Mario game for years. Despite our b*tching, we are most certainly going to buy the next installment.

I imagine it's a way to tie up a self-inflicted loose end. Yang broke up Maiko in The Promise to increase the pressure on Zuko during the colonial crisis, but doesn't want to incorporate a Maiko angle to The Search for whatever reason. So he's shuffling the problem off to this comic.

Alternately, I could see two other reasons:

1) This comic won't reunite Maiko. It's just a one-shot to give more insight into their relationship and Mai's character, to springboard the readers into a Maiko subplot for The Search. FCBD issues tend not to be terribly important to the titles they feature. They're intended (being free giveaways) to draw in new readers, so they're usually a sampling of what a given title is like.

2) Yang found out that Mai/Maiko is going to be referenced in Season 2 of TLoK, meaning the drama he was trying to drum up with a "Will they or won't they?" plot needs to be paid off before the new season starts.

There really is no reason for Mai to be in the Search, I think all your points are valid though.

That said, Gene Yang has turned out to have an unexpectedly intense focus on Zuko. Both the Promise and the Search are being driven by his actions, and so is the FCBD issue. Meanwhile Aang is shuffled off to the side as a sidekick or antagonist to Zuko's Angsty Goodness, depending on what the plot demands.

I don't see it. Zuko is the Firelord, it's up to him to make messes for Aang to clean up.

There're lots of really important 'undone' things for Avatar-The Last Airbender, but Mai gets a love story comic.

There are only a few undone things left, and the major ones are going to be addressed in "The Search". Mai is in a bad needed for character development, the only other person who needs one is Suki. If they want to turn Avatar into a comic house powerhouse, they'll want to expand their cast.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 01:36 pm by Mahaanus » Logged

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2012 01:48 pm »

^ why buy it when you can get it for free? Cheesy

she totally needs this

Just thinking ahead in case I really wanted it and couldn't get it on that day.
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2012 01:56 pm »

^ Dark horse is still giving away the free avatar comic book from 2011 on their homepage.

So I think they will do the same thing here. Wink

Sig made by Dorky.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: