Dec 15, 2019 01:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mai gets a solo story for Free Comic Book Day [Spoilers within!]  (Read 72402 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #500 on: May 07, 2013 06:10 pm »

Well, that's Mai's Father's motivation, but I still question what these people think would have happened if Zuko wasn't there to work with Aang to preserve most of the Fire Nation. I can definitely buy people not being happy with Zuko, but Ozai as an alternative seems fairly non-viable. Sure, a few people might get irrational about what they see as their lost opportunities, but I don't think it could be an epidemic among the upper class.

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #501 on: May 07, 2013 06:34 pm »

I'm saying that we as readers have no reason to assume that Mai's Father's Rebellion (gosh, we got Aunt Mura, we couldn't have gotten his name?) goes beyond that room of twenty people.

I think it's safe to infer from the dialogue that Mai's Father is connected to other loyalists as well.

but I don't think it could be an epidemic among the upper class.

After a hundred years of war, I assume the upper upper class is either concerned with producing military equipment or controlling the military. In both cases they lose when the war ends. Power of the last century was in war so everyone who climbed the ladder will have done so on the back of the war effort.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013 06:48 pm by Mahaanus » Logged

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #502 on: May 07, 2013 06:54 pm »

Yeah, but Zuko apparently hasn't been dismantling his war machine. In the third volume of The Promise, he was able to whistle up a significant force and fleet for Yu Dao in short order, and Zuko didn't act like getting into another war was going to be a burden in any way other than moral.

I think the army may not be fighting a war, but they're busy enough that the only thing the leadership lost was chances for glory. Certainly, if they weren't being used elsewhere, Zuko wouldn't need Kyoshi Warriors still supplementing his palace security.

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #503 on: May 07, 2013 07:18 pm »

I think the army may not be fighting a war, but they're busy enough that the only thing the leadership lost was chances for glory. Certainly, if they weren't being used elsewhere, Zuko wouldn't need Kyoshi Warriors still supplementing his palace security.

The Kyoshi Warriors were picked by Mai, not Zuko, and the reason that they were was because the leader is a good friend of Zuko (and so is a certain member) and they were picked because they were loyal, not because they were a sizable force.

Also, I think you're mistaken what "war" means for these people. It's not about just your wage and protecting your country - there's pillage and that "glory" you spoke of is the only way for them to climb the social ladder.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #504 on: May 07, 2013 07:31 pm »

And sitting Ozai's hot butt on the throne would bring the war back with the whole pillage and glory and imminent victory thing? Again, I point to the fact that the Earth Kingdom has had a year to recover and fill out their army with tanks and airships, and Aang is just looking for an excuse to drop the heavy end of the hammer on some bad guys. Surely, the people at the top of the military command would look at those prospects and hesitate a bit.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #505 on: May 08, 2013 08:47 pm »

Mai DID ask the Kyoshi Warriors for help because she felt the security was lacking or incompetent. If Zuko has been trying to root out and punish Ozai loyalists, it might be a safe bet to say some guys have been getting pink slips and the military has been becoming progressively weaker since Zuko took the throne. Even if Zuko was able to quickly summon a legion of troops to reinforce the defenses of a city, it doesn't mean he has kept the resources and personnel needed to wage an offensive campaign or invasion nor does it mean the force he took to Yu Dao was a particularly good one. From the dialogue, it seems like he may be kicking a lot of people out of their old positions and leaving them unchecked.

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #506 on: May 09, 2013 01:17 am »

And sitting Ozai's hot butt on the throne would bring the war back with the whole pillage and glory and imminent victory thing?

Yes.

Again, I point to the fact that the Earth Kingdom has had a year to recover and fill out their army with tanks and airships

Yes.

Aang is just looking for an excuse to drop the heavy end of the hammer on some bad guys

Yes.

Surely, the people at the top of the military command would look at those prospects and hesitate a bit.

The future Zuko offers them, to the one not guilty of war crimes or who had most of their wealth seized, is one of decay. As Mai's Father said - things are difficult for them, and as long as Zuko is in charge things will continue to be difficult for them. Is it risky to go against the Firelord? Yes, but for them to do so the alternative must be even worse.

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #507 on: May 11, 2013 08:06 am »

Someone took that "Lone Wolf and Cub" vibe and ran with it.
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2013 12:45 pm »

^ ^ ^

Beautiful!

Although I'd imagine Mai prefers to hold the sword with the blade facing backwards and the hilt facing forward.

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #509 on: May 11, 2013 02:25 pm »

It's a very beautiful picture.

Although I'd have preferred her holding a dagger Tongue

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #510 on: May 11, 2013 04:40 pm »

Although I'd imagine Mai prefers to hold the sword with the blade facing backwards and the hilt facing forward.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/RayanStiger/Star%20Wars/GalenMarekSithShien.jpg

That's an awful and inefficient style. I'm fine with Mai doing things the right way. Smiley

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #511 on: May 11, 2013 05:56 pm »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/RayanStiger/Star%20Wars/GalenMarekSithShien.jpg

That's an awful and inefficient style. I'm fine with Mai doing things the right way. Smiley

Mai might feel more comfortable wielding a katana like a normal dagger and if starwars' use of the Shien form is anything to go by, it would prove useful in deflecting projectiles. It's not a very good stance for sword on sword combat, but it could serve a ninja like Mai's purposes well provided it was supplemented by a standard form like the one in the pic.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2013 10:07 am »

If Zuko and Mai did get back together, they also might be setting up the possibity of Zuko being a father figure to Tom Tom, like Iroh was to him.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2013 03:19 pm »

Mai might feel more comfortable wielding a katana like a normal dagger and if starwars' use of the Shien form is anything to go by, it would prove useful in deflecting projectiles. It's not a very good stance for sword on sword combat, but it could serve a ninja like Mai's purposes well provided it was supplemented by a standard form like the one in the pic.

Star Wars' lightsaber styles aren't anything to go by. They're fun fantasy, but that's it. I like Avatar to stay grounded in real martial arts.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2013 06:11 pm »

Star Wars' lightsaber styles aren't anything to go by. They're fun fantasy, but that's it. I like Avatar to stay grounded in real martial arts.

You do know the lightsaber forms are based on real martial arts right? Holding the blade backwards is a real swordstyle.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013 06:13 pm by Spirit of Flame » Logged

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #515 on: May 12, 2013 06:22 pm »

Is this the first time someone threw a connected, direct punch at another in this series?

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #516 on: May 12, 2013 06:27 pm »

^ You mean the comic series? Because in the cartoon, I'm pretty sure Zuko connected with lover boy when he threw his into a vase.

NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #517 on: May 12, 2013 06:29 pm »

I meant the entire series.

And if you mean The Beach, I thought it was palm strike. But I guess that counts. lol

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #518 on: May 12, 2013 06:43 pm »

Is this the first time someone threw a connected, direct punch at another in this series?

It may be the first actual connected punch, but I'm not sure.

^ You mean the comic series? Because in the cartoon, I'm pretty sure Zuko connected with lover boy when he threw his into a vase.

Technically, he pushed him.

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #519 on: May 12, 2013 11:33 pm »

If Zuko and Mai did get back together, they also might be setting up the possibity of Zuko being a father figure to Tom Tom, like Iroh was to him.

That's a possibility. I wouldn't mind it happening.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2013 05:31 pm »

You do know the lightsaber forms are based on real martial arts right? Holding the blade backwards is a real swordstyle.

I'm aware that they're based on martial arts in the loosest sense of the word, and yes, I've actually tried out a blade-backwards style in real life. I maintain that it's just silliness that's unsuitable for real-life combat.

Blanka
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #521 on: May 15, 2013 06:24 am »

I meant the entire series.

And if you mean The Beach, I thought it was palm strike. But I guess that counts. lol

Wasn't Jun hitting and kicking people in the finale?
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #522 on: Jun 22, 2013 02:23 pm »

Finally got around to reading. Looks like this is a setup to things to come in the next comic book series after the Search. I did wonder at first why would people want to put Ozai back on the throne, I get the anti Zuko pro war sentement, can't they find someone else that you know can bend. But I will say this, Ozai is a better alternative than Azula, I don't care what you politics, you have to pretty stupid to put that nut job back on the throne.

So Mai and Tom Tom split from their folks, I wonder what the former Governer will do now, I would love if he and the Bai Fongs formed an alliance, granted why would the Bai Fongs want to help Ozai get on the throne?, but they have always been so isolated from the world, I don't think they give a whot who rules the world (remember they didn't give a whot when the Avatar was going to be sold to Ozai), they have their money they can buy their way through life no mater who rules the world as long as they get their daughter back and able to shelter her. I want to see those two familes team up, they are so similar.

Right now Mai and Toph are both written out of the story as far the current main story line is concerned, so if they gave Mai family drama that needs to be resolved, than resolve Toph's family drama and kill two birds with one stone. Toph and Mai they both currently runaways. I don't know where Mai is going to now, but please if there is a god, let it be Toph's metal bending accademy.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2013 02:38 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #523 on: Jun 22, 2013 05:49 pm »

Quote from: fireywaters link=topic=22265.msg2283589#msg2283589
Finally got around to reading. Looks like this is a setup to things to come in the next comic book series after the Search. I did wonder at first why would people want to put Ozai back on the throne, I get the anti Zuko pro war sentement, can't they find someone else that you know can bend. But I will say this, Ozai is a better alternative than Azula, I don't care what you politics, you have to pretty stupid to put that nut job back on the throne.

Ozai patronized men like Mai's father. When Zuko came into power, he gave them a few lashes and that pissed them off. Restoring Ozai to some position of power, even if it's just as Azula's handler, would be in their best interest at the moment, financially speaking.

So Mai and Tom Tom split from their folks, I wonder what the former Governer will do now,

Well, he'll probably try to force his children to come back home, leaving Mai with two options, run to Zuko for help or head out on her own

Right now Mai and Toph are both written out of the story as far the current main story line is concerned, so if they gave Mai family drama that needs to be resolved, than resolve Toph's family drama and kill two birds with one stone. Toph and Mai they both currently runaways. I don't know where Mai is going to now, but please if there is a god, let it be Toph's metal bending accademy.

I'd rather Mai go on her own epic adventure.  Tongue

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #524 on: Jun 23, 2013 03:34 pm »

Ozai patronized men like Mai's father. When Zuko came into power, he gave them a few lashes and that pissed them off. Restoring Ozai to some position of power, even if it's just as Azula's handler, would be in their best interest at the moment, financially speaking.

I still really want there to be more to the plot. Zuko nearly got beaten by Kuei and Aang over Yu Dao. What do these people expect Ozai to do? Give them a lot of money and power for a week before the full fury of the world descends on them?

I'd rather Mai go on her own epic adventure.  Tongue

Aye! The last thing I want to see is Mai dealing with The Dark One, unless the comics are allowed to show bloodshed.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: