Jul 31, 2014 08:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mai gets a solo story for Free Comic Book Day [Spoilers within!]  (Read 29188 times)
colin
Chief Crankypants

« on: Dec 06, 2012 02:12 pm »

Dark Horse Comics has announced that one of their Free Comic Book Day offerings for 2013 will be a story about Mai

Details at the link!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013 01:43 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

AtoMaki
Chief Crankypants

ENTP

« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012 02:17 pm »

Ooookaaaay...
And the smash hit Avatar: The Last Airbender follows Mai as she deals with her broken heart . . .
And:

Count me curious. That cover blowed my mind  Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.
plastroncafe
Chief Crankypants

plastronc
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012 02:25 pm »

Yup, looking forward to that!

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
Noirsam
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012 02:50 pm »

Well...To get something for free is never wrong.

But I am 100% sure that the all new Captain Midnight story is not part of Avatar.  Tongue

Sig made by Dorky.
Mahaanus
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012 06:38 pm »

Waiting for it...

It's nice for them to start addressing the issues people have been having with the comics and it's REALLY nice to see Mai have some independent character growth.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Loopy
Chief Crankypants

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012 07:43 pm »

Yeah, this is actually something that I can suppor-

Gene Luen Yang

...slush. Never mind. Also, the art is even lamer than Gurihiru's.

Sig by Danger
High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012 08:05 pm »

A Mai solo comic? Oh sweet....

...follows Mai as she deals with her broken heart.

Nope.

I share your pain, Loopy.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2012 10:44 pm by High Elemental » Logged

Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm »

I don't wanna sound like a pessimist, because Loopy and High Elemental have already got it covered, but can we get some decent cover art on these things? And this is coming from someone who liked the art of The Promise in general. But those covers...
High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012 10:49 pm »

I just want an Avatar/Hellboy crossover, is that so hard to ask?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Chief Crankypants

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012 10:58 pm »

Roses? She doesn't seem to be the rose kind of person...

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
Mahaanus
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012 11:53 pm »

A Mai solo comic? Oh sweet....

...follows Mai as she deals with her broken heart.

Nope.

I share your pain, Loopy.

Yeah, this is raising a little bit of a red flag with me, not with this comic, but more with the franchise as a whole. There are some dedicated shippers for sure, but Avatar is an Action/Adventure series, this is what I love about it, why do they have to shoehorn romance/drama as much as they do.

EndlessFlame55
Chief Crankypants

I really have a thing for nerdy little scientists~

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012 11:56 pm »

Roses? She doesn't seem to be the rose kind of person...

Well, I'm not so sure about that, Icy. Yes, it does kind of seem a tad out of character for our darkened Mai to be holding something like that in her hands from a single overlook of the cover, but...just in case you've forgotten something from Nightmares and Daydreams?

Zuko: Tell me, if you can have anything you wanted right now, what would it be?
Mai: Hmm. A big fancy fruit tart, with rose petals on top.

But I see where you're coming from Icy, and it's understandable. In any case, I acutally rather like the cover and the art style that it's drawn in. Now, Zuko himself isn't drawn all that well, but darling Mai? I really like how she's portrayed there, and I love the background coloring. But perhaps that's just my opinion. In any case, I very much look forward to reading this. Should be interesting! Smiley

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(Icon by MarkoRuffalo on Tumblr~)
High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012 12:08 am »

Yeah, this is raising a little bit of a red flag with me, not with this comic, but more with the franchise as a whole. There are some dedicated shippers for sure, but Avatar is an Action/Adventure series, this is what I love about it, why do they have to shoehorn romance/drama as much as they do.
Because the old writers ain't here anymore. I swear if they have Mai being all "Oh Woe is Me"...

If this does end up being good I'd be happy though. Mai needs some more character exploration.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Chief Crankypants

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2012 12:27 am »

People should probably approach this the same way they approached Lost Adventures or any Avatar filler episodes cause that's obviously what this is going to be and that's actually kinda cool to me. It's probably better Mai gets a one-shot that gets some stuff out of the way so we aren't left wondering where the heck she is during The Search. Also, I hope that this one-shot has Mai sort of learning to be a more independent woman who DON'T NEED NO MAN, cause Lord knows she needs it. It's stupid to have this interesting character only appear as a girlfriend character with nothing interesting to say besides "Why don't we talk like we used to." Even if this is just Mai kinda being like "What am I gonna do without Zuko?" the first half, just to end up doing something like saving Cabbage Man from a couple of mook firebenders with her knives, I'll be extremely happy.

What I don't understand is why they couldn't get Gurihiru to do it. The pencil artist has said Mai is her favorite character.

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
iwashere
Chief Crankypants

._.

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012 01:26 am »

Ok, this is... Odd.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some Mai character development, but this just could go wrong in so many ways.

And yeah, not liking the artwork either.

Sigs are for the weak
guitarfreak
Chief Crankypants

bamfs~

« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012 01:54 am »

i'm intrigued by this....i think it should be alright *cross fingers*
one thing i don't like tho, is how mai's character is tied yet again to zuko >.<
mai has a lot of potential, but i feel that having her related so much to zuko ruins that potential :|

and personally, i the artwork is nice, even though it's kinda cliche

Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:16 am »

one thing i don't like tho, is how mai's character is tied yet again to zuko >.<
mai has a lot of potential, but i feel that having her related so much to zuko ruins that potential :|

Exactly. It'd be pretty disappointing if the focus of this really is her heartbreak about Zuko. I basically agree with Spirit of Flame. That description could just be marketing though.
High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:37 am »

Yeah, really. Why couldn't it be something like it being about Mai getting tired of all the stupid shenanigans of The Promise so Ty Lee comes over for a visit to drag Mai along on a wacky misadventure? Too early to definitively tell and all that but I am starting to get worried about this franchise, it's becoming more and more like some crappy young adult book series.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 02:38 am by High Elemental » Logged

Mahaanus
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:47 am »

Exactly. It'd be pretty disappointing if the focus of this really is her heartbreak about Zuko. I basically agree with Spirit of Flame. That description could just be marketing though.

Actually having the heartbreak BE the center of the comic can be a good thing, provided Mai learns to be a little more of her own character instead of tied up to someone(this includes Ty Lee).

Because the old writers ain't here anymore

I'm going to say - no. I think Bryke and Nick saw the fan reaction to romance in A:TLA and then priorities got skewed.

High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:49 am »

I'm going to say - no. I think Bryke and Nick saw the fan reaction to romance in A:TLA and then priorities got skewed.
See this is what confounds me the most. Back during the days of ATLA they mocked shippers with gleeful abandon but now they write and pass off stuff that's straight out of a shipper fic. I just don't understand it.

Mahaanus
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:52 am »

See this is what confounds me the most. Back during the days of ATLA they mocked shippers with gleeful abandon but now they write and pass off stuff that's straight out of a shipper fic. I just don't understand it.

Shipping has been keeping the fanbase alive 'till now, it obviously has good long-term effects.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Chief Crankypants

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:53 am »

Let's examine the cover for a second, we have Mai with roses in one hand and knives in the other. Why is that? Obviously, if the cover is an indication of the plot, the focus is going to be a certain duality to Mai's nature. It may not be a Mai pining for Zuko plot so much as a Mai trying to figure out what she's useful for plot. Honestly, that's something I could expect from Yang. Despite what some people on tumblr and even here seem to think, Yang doesn't really pay more attention to the romance and shipping than the show ever did. I just don't see him really writing a plot where Mai is crying about being Forever Alone. If we're lucky, it may be a brief episode where Mai rediscovers what it means to be a badass, not at the expense of her feelings for Zuko, but at least not bogged down by them. Again, if we're lucky.

My best prediction is that most of the comic will be dialogue and thought bubbles as Mai watches  events unfold around her. Which means we might *gasp* hear Mai's opinion on things!  Shocked

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2012 02:57 am »

Shipping has been keeping the fanbase alive 'till now, it obviously has good long-term effects.
Everything goes downhill once fans starting getting their way, this is pretty much fact. Romance was always the franchise's weakest point, they shouldn't focus on it unless they know what they are doing.

Mahaanus
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2012 03:01 am »

Everything goes downhill once fans starting getting their way, this is pretty much fact. Romance was always the franchise's weakest point, they shouldn't focus on it unless they know what they are doing.

I think it worked out for Korra, at least I think the major reaction to Makorra was positive(although personally I'm not that big fan of it).

But Spirit of Flame, so far the comics didn't have much shipping in them.

High Elemental
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2012 03:02 am »

I think it worked out for Korra, at least I think the major reaction to Makorra was positive(although personally I'm not that big fan of it).
Nah, it seems pretty divisive and for good reason.

But anyway to sway off the beaten path of yet another "Korra isn't good" derail I'm at least happy to see Mai get any focus at all. She was one of my favorite characters and I was always disappointed that they never really delved into her character.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 03:04 am by High Elemental » Logged

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: