Apr 27, 2017 02:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legend of Korra Book Four Balance DVD & Blu-ray available for pre-order  (Read 126325 times)
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #250 on: Mar 16, 2015 01:06 am »

I'm seriously still amazed that Nickelodeon even released Korra on Blu-ray, let alone all four books. It allows me to hold onto a shred of hope that ATLA will eventually get the same treatment. Smiley

Korra was created to be displayed at 1080p with a 16:9 aspect ratio.  Making a Blu-ray transfer probably took less effort than the DVD one.

Maybe there was less effort, but it definitely cost Nickelodeon more money than I expected them to spend. Blu-rays are a lot more expensive to produce compared to DVDs nowadays.

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks,
and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #251 on: Mar 16, 2015 05:35 pm »

(and, I suppose, less of the artifacts that exist on the current DVD transfer, if they went back and made the transfer from the original tapes).

This is all I'm asking for.

stag019
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #252 on: Mar 18, 2015 11:21 pm »

A:tLA, on the other hand, was created for 480i with a 4:3 aspect ratio.  There simply isn't enough information to allow for an HD transfer -- a Blu-ray version would offer nothing more than the ability to put more episodes on a disc (and, I suppose, less of the artifacts that exist on the current DVD transfer, if they went back and made the transfer from the original tapes).
Not entirely true. First off, when you draw an animated series, you don't draw each frame interlaced. Or at least, if anyone did that, I would question their sanity. However, the original drawings, while they are definitely still a 4:3 aspect ratio, are "analog" drawings, meaning that if each individual frame were to be rescanned, a higher quality scan would arise from it. It all depends on how much detail was put into the original drawings. I've never heard of this being done for a hand animated TV show, but, for a live-action example, Seinfeld was shot on 35mm film, and so was remastered in HD for airing on TBS years later. Also a lot of movies get released on Blu-ray because they're on 35mm film and so therefore just need to be reconverted to digital.

I would, however, hate if they cropped off the top and bottom to make it a 16:9 image. Going back and redrawing each frame to add stuff to the left and right is unheard of (although South Park, being done entirely on computers was rerendered in the new aspect ratio) and would be time and money consuming. However, 4:3 HD is not unheard of. According to Wikipedia, during 2009, Spongebob episodes were 4:3 1080i.

I'm pretty sure Bryke have mentioned before that they still have all the original drawings/frames. I'd be curious to know the cost in time/money to rescan each frame, if they were drawn to enough detail to be worth it.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #253 on: Mar 19, 2015 06:11 am »

A:tLA, on the other hand, was created for 480i with a 4:3 aspect ratio.  There simply isn't enough information to allow for an HD transfer -- a Blu-ray version would offer nothing more than the ability to put more episodes on a disc (and, I suppose, less of the artifacts that exist on the current DVD transfer, if they went back and made the transfer from the original tapes).

Not entirely true. First off, when you draw an animated series, you don't draw each frame interlaced. Or at least, if anyone did that, I would question their sanity. However, the original drawings, while they are definitely still a 4:3 aspect ratio, are "analog" drawings, meaning that if each individual frame were to be rescanned, a higher quality scan would arise from it. It all depends on how much detail was put into the original drawings. I've never heard of this being done for a hand animated TV show, but, for a live-action example, Seinfeld was shot on 35mm film, and so was remastered in HD for airing on TBS years later. Also a lot of movies get released on Blu-ray because they're on 35mm film and so therefore just need to be reconverted to digital.

I would, however, hate if they cropped off the top and bottom to make it a 16:9 image. Going back and redrawing each frame to add stuff to the left and right is unheard of (although South Park, being done entirely on computers was rerendered in the new aspect ratio) and would be time and money consuming. However, 4:3 HD is not unheard of. According to Wikipedia, during 2009, Spongebob episodes were 4:3 1080i.

I'm pretty sure Bryke have mentioned before that they still have all the original drawings/frames. I'd be curious to know the cost in time/money to rescan each frame, if they were drawn to enough detail to be worth it.

I was thinking that it was more likely that they'd just have the master tapes rather than all of the original drawings, hence the 480i comment.  If they had the master drawings, that part could definitely be improved.

As for the detail of the individual drawings... it's definitely not up to LoK-level.

Here's a shot from LoK's finale showing characters at different distances:

And here's one from A:tLA's last four episodes:

It's hard to see in the shrunken versions, but Korra's medium shot has as much detail as June's much closer shot, and Wing and Wei are actually drawn more on-model than Sokka and Katara (look at their eyes!) even though they're farther away.

In general, everything in LoK has an extra level of detail added, and sometimes in Book 1, it went above and beyond even that.  A:tLA wouldn't look like an HD show even if rescanned.  =/

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #254 on: Mar 19, 2015 09:37 am »

By the way, it seems all of the video quality issues from Books 2 and 3 have been fixed for Book 4. It's easily on par with the quality from Book One's Blu-ray.

In regards with an ATLA Blu-ray remaster, what I'd care more about is an HD sound mix. Just imagine the Last Agni Kai from Sozin's Comet with Blu-ray quality sound...it's the stuff of dreams. Cry

stag019
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #255 on: Mar 19, 2015 05:54 pm »

I was thinking that it was more likely that they'd just have the master tapes rather than all of the original drawings, hence the 480i comment.  If they had the master drawings, that part could definitely be improved.
Having the master tapes is almost a certainty in the creative business. For example, of the three Genesis Box sets with 5.1 remasters, the only song not to receive a remaster was "Say It's Alright Joe" because they were unable to find the master. The songs on these three albums go all the way back to 1970, with that particular song being from 1978.

Here is the tumblr post about Mike being amongst a large amount of Studio MIR drawings from Korra. Considering they also still have the original drawing of proto-Aang, proto-Momo, and proto-Appa/Naga, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they still had all the ATLA original drawings.

As for the detail of the individual drawings... it's definitely not up to LoK-level.

It's hard to see in the shrunken versions, but Korra's medium shot has as much detail as June's much closer shot, and Wing and Wei are actually drawn more on-model than Sokka and Katara (look at their eyes!) even though they're farther away.

In general, everything in LoK has an extra level of detail added, and sometimes in Book 1, it went above and beyond even that.  A:tLA wouldn't look like an HD show even if rescanned.  =/
I concede that it almost definitely wouldn't look anywhere near as beautiful as Korra, but I still believe it would likely be an improvement over the original. Whether that's worth the time/money/effort, however, is the question.

In regards with an ATLA Blu-ray remaster, what I'd care more about is an HD sound mix. Just imagine the Last Agni Kai from Sozin's Comet with Blu-ray quality sound...it's the stuff of dreams. Cry
I keep completely forgetting to mention this. I'd say it's a good bet that the Track Team still have the multitrack masters of original music, and I hope they'd still have multitrack masters of the original sound/voice work too. And considering they were forced to do their work on the tightest timetable of any of the parts of the show, I can imagine someone telling them "You have one month to remaster 61 episodes of sound, music, and voice into a higher quality 5.1 mix. Good luck."
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #256 on: Apr 08, 2015 02:24 pm »

Finished up Book Four on Blu-ray today, so glad the video quality was back up to par with Book One!

On another note, I tweeted at Nickelodeon Home Entertainment's official twitter account about the possibility of a ATLA Blu-ray set and they actually responded saying they'd pass it along. It'll probably amount to nothing, but still! At least they're listening. Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015 02:29 pm by Ooze33 » Logged

Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

...and to another ten!

« Reply #257 on: Oct 03, 2016 08:15 pm »

*blows dust off of thread and account*

Hey everyone! So it looks like The Complete Series of Korra will be getting a US release on December 13th!

UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #258 on: Oct 04, 2016 12:34 am »

oooooooooh if i didnt already own the entire series....

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #259 on: Jan 20, 2017 12:47 am »

Does it come with anything special?

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #260 on: Jan 22, 2017 01:42 pm »

Looking on Amazon, it sounds like it's just the original discs repackaged. They even say that the discs for the last two books have the super-basic design (like rental discs), but the first two books are more decorated. 

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: