Nov 17, 2019 09:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the comics be considered canon?  (Read 29468 times)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #175 on: Mar 03, 2014 09:42 pm »

@D3stiny_Sm4sher It's either we get some form of continuation of the Gaang's lives or we don't get anything at all. But I do still wish we'd gotten them in the form of animated movies (Though I feel movies are more expensive) Might as well keep them canon otherwise, some of us would keep asking for Gaang flashbacks. Then again, I wouldn't mind some.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2014 09:47 pm by Clowngoon » Logged

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #176 on: Mar 03, 2014 10:36 pm »

@D3stiny_Sm4sher It's either we get some form of continuation of the Gaang's lives or we don't get anything at all. But I do still wish we'd gotten them in the form of animated movies (Though I feel movies are more expensive) Might as well keep them canon otherwise, some of us would keep asking for Gaang flashbacks. Then again, I wouldn't mind some.
Well, but that's not true -- we've been getting something that isn't continuation of the Gaang's lives. We've been getting Legend of Korra. Wink They originally wanted to do animated movies about the Gaang after the war and Nick declined. Comic books are WAY way cheaper to create than a movie, so that seems to be working out as a nice medium.

I actually prefer it this way, in theory: comics to continue the Gaang, a cartoon to continue the world. I'm just not liking either as consistently as I expected I would, I suppose.

The tricky part, I think, is that the reason we want 'Gaang flashbacks' (if I'm understanding what you mean by 'flashbacks' here) is because we want to see the Gaang grow up. We want to see how they had kids, how their roles as political activists in their teen years lead to their roles as political LEADERS in adulthood. How they functioned as parents, how they dealt with their jobs -- even in a fantasy world, those ideas are things adults can latch onto and relate with, I think.

But all of those ideas are in direct opposition with what the comics and Nickelodeon are looking at Avatar to do as a series: appeal to kids. Not that I blame them, of course! That's just the logical business model to take with an animated/cartoon series in the western world. But I DO think a comic or novel spin-off could tap into the older audience and still be financially profitable, the same way some Nintendo franchises dip into more mature territory (LoZ: Twilight Princess, Metroid, certain Mario games) without actually damaging the family-friendly tone of the overall brand. I mean, tons of Star Wars and Star Trek novels expanded that world, didn't they? I'm sure there were more questionable things written in those than were portrayed in the main series but those were actively sought out by fans, the same way they actively seek out fanfiction now.

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #177 on: Jul 25, 2014 01:22 am »

The more I read the comics, the more I believe they just don't live up to their potential. The concept of all of them has been thrilling, especially "The Search". We've been wondering what happened to Zuko's mother for years, and we finally had some answers. However, the execution ends up not living up. My biggest problem been that sometimes the characters act so out of character that it just breaks the suspension of disbelief. I'm personally uncomfortable to consider them canon, because of that.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Brave soldier boy Comes marching home

« Reply #178 on: Jul 31, 2014 12:31 am »

I treat the comics as LOOSE canon.  The big events are canon, but all the little details and character stuff can go either way.

"Sometimes, life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."
- Iroh 2.20, "The Crossroads of Destiny"
ShowMeTheYuan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

AI EHM TEH SORUSHUN

« Reply #179 on: Aug 02, 2014 09:24 pm »

Damn right it's canon! I am NOT waiting for another explanation about what happened to Zuko's mom.

How much metal could a metalbender bend if a metalbender could bend metal?
thelastmindbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I googled fun. I found this. It was pretty fun.

« Reply #180 on: Aug 02, 2014 09:33 pm »

It's gotta be like how the Star Wars EU was before that was declared non-canonical a few months back. Anything that happens in TV rules over all but the comics are that next tier down. As long as there are no retcons of comic material in the TV series, than I see no reason why they aren't.

Well, it only took a \\\\\\\"cancellation\\\\\\\" to get me back on the forums.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #181 on: Aug 03, 2014 12:14 am »

I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I heard about the EU retcon stuff...I would have been pretty frustrated if I had followed all of that and then they just get declared worthless.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
thelastmindbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I googled fun. I found this. It was pretty fun.

« Reply #182 on: Aug 03, 2014 12:19 am »

^ Especially since it wasn't throwaway material. It was good stuff and a lot of it had George Lucas backing.

Well, it only took a \\\\\\\"cancellation\\\\\\\" to get me back on the forums.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #183 on: Aug 11, 2014 03:27 pm »

I treat the comics as LOOSE canon.  The big events are canon, but all the little details and character stuff can go either way.

^this. the characterization is the worst part about the comics.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
CaptainCoulson
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #184 on: Aug 26, 2014 09:41 pm »

Damn right it's canon! I am NOT waiting for another explanation about what happened to Zuko's mom.
It's literally the only thing about the comics i wish WASN'T Cannon...

I was not pleased with the big reveal that I waited years for. Not that we knew much of Ursa, but it seemed horribly out of character for her to just willingly forget a son she adored.
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #185 on: Aug 28, 2014 06:16 pm »

We didn't know enough about Ursa to determine whether that would be out of character or not.

If anything, this gave her more depth. Just saying.  Tongue

yo.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #186 on: Aug 28, 2014 06:45 pm »

I wrote an essay about why you're completely wrong, NFB. Tongue

NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #187 on: Aug 28, 2014 08:50 pm »

Great. Nevermind.

Tongue

yo.
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #188 on: Aug 29, 2014 01:05 am »

There's one tiny reason I think we should consider these comics canon: They are canon.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #189 on: Aug 29, 2014 02:09 am »

There's one tiny reason I think we should consider these comics canon: They are canon.

"They are" is not the same as "they should be".  The former is a fact, the latter is an opinion.  As much as I personally like the comics and appreciate them being canon, I won't resent someone having the opinion that they shouldn't be. Tongue
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #190 on: Aug 29, 2014 02:48 am »

"They are" is not the same as "they should be".  The former is a fact, the latter is an opinion.  As much as I personally like the comics and appreciate them being canon, I won't resent someone having the opinion that they shouldn't be. Tongue

True, but by that same logic I can personally consider anything past Book 1 of ATLA to be non-canon if I so please. Nothing wrong with having such an opinion, of course, but that still doesn't change the hard, cold fact that it is canon whether I like it or not.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #191 on: Aug 29, 2014 06:31 pm »

Book Fire shouldn't be canon.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #192 on: Aug 29, 2014 06:52 pm »

"Book Water and all the following one are not canon, it's a happy thought about what would've happened in Aang wasn't killed in the genocide, because yes, he was."

-Creator of the popular series "Avatar", Mike and Bryan (named "Bryke" by the fans") after finishing their series.
The Avatarspirit board had gone, according to spectators, "feral".

Because why can't the whole series be non canon ?

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #193 on: Aug 29, 2014 07:07 pm »

Without a Nicene Council, I don't see how anything can be declared "canon" anyway. The Mike and the Bryan just like to throw in references to stories they've written or dictated to other people, Alison Wilgus like to pretend that none of the lore on the ATLA website is true, and Dave Roman's stories posit that cookiebenders are a thing.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #194 on: Aug 29, 2014 11:59 pm »

True, but by that same logic I can personally consider anything past Book 1 of ATLA to be non-canon if I so please. Nothing wrong with having such an opinion, of course, but that still doesn't change the hard, cold fact that it is canon whether I like it or not.

I didn't say anything about personally considering things canon or not.  The question is "should" they be considered canon, not "do you" consider them canon. Wink
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #195 on: Aug 30, 2014 01:22 am »

^It was mentioned numerous times that Bryke consider them canon which makes them canon. So, if you want to discuss their canonnicity you ARE making personal opinion that isn't based on facts and potentially contradicts them.

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #196 on: Aug 30, 2014 09:18 pm »

I read your essay. Brilliantly done, Loopy.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #197 on: Aug 31, 2014 04:39 am »

I also read it now (you should put it into your sign so it's better visible) and I have to say that it was amazing. You managed to capture everything that wasn't right and put it into words. Great job!

Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #198 on: Aug 31, 2014 09:12 am »

I also read it now (you should put it into your sign so it's better visible) and I have to say that it was amazing. You managed to capture everything that wasn't right and put it into words. Great job!

Yep, Loopy does what Loopy does.

Now, would someone kindly have Loopy write the comics so we can have good comics?

Anyway, I'm gonna keep this short and sweet since I've already £$$£$££ about these comics.

Anyway, technically, these Gene's comics are canon but so is the "Great Divide", so whoop-tie-do... at least the Great Divide didn't contradict canon. Just a harmless, low-quality episode to skip and nothing would change. The problem with comics is they're disregarding canon or/and characters are acting OOC, yet to make it even worse they're focal points for the continuation of the Gaang's adventure and what happened to them, so this isn't some odd comic you can pretend to ignore - no, this is "What happened" and this is why I like to bash me head against things after reading every comic.

What they did to Maiko stings the most though.

'Dat disappoint.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2014 09:47 am by Blue Warpath » Logged

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #199 on: Aug 31, 2014 12:29 pm »

What they did to Maiko is the only thing that really bothers me and the only thing I'd actively fight to change.

That and the Toph subplot of the Promise.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: