Nov 17, 2019 08:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the comics be considered canon?  (Read 29467 times)
UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« on: Oct 14, 2012 12:50 pm »

well from what i've read about the promise on here i probably wouldn't like it. it sounds like everybody is acting ooc, except toph XD.

my question for ya'll as stated in the subject, should we consider these stories like this is exactly what really happened?

i know in the starwars the EU is considered something of a B canon and if A canon (the movies and SW:The Clone Wars) ever contradicts them then we go with the A canon.

do you think Bryke considers them canon? Do you?

PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2012 12:58 pm »

Considering they co-wrote them; yes. I'm not a big fan of them myself, but they're as canon as any episode.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2012 01:02 pm »

As far as we've been told, the comics are canon. They are the continuation of the ATLA storyline, bridging it and TLOK, and M&B were involved in the process of crafting the comics' stories.

Though of course, if you don't like them you can ignore them. I'm not going to ignore them because personally, I'm enjoying them and find them quite entertaining, regardless of what the detractors may say about them.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2012 01:28 pm »

The comics are a collaboration between Gene Yang and Bryke(they have editorial rights and have stated that they're heavily involved in the production several times), so yes, they are as canon as you can get.

You must remember that A:TLA was heavily criticized by it's fan (although not to the extend Korra was) and Korra has been under heavy scrutiny as well. The fanbase is kind of prissy.

Also - the comics are good, polls show that the majority of the reader base is pleased with them, what you are seeing is a very vocal minority.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2012 01:41 pm »

thanks for the feedback guys, i think i'll get the hardcover trilogy edition when it comes out in a few months

High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2012 02:17 pm »

I hate to admit it, but they are. Same goes with The Search coming out in a few months.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2012 02:39 pm »

I like the idea of a system similar to Star Wars, where if things don’t contradict something important they can be considered canon.

I don’t see much of a reason why most of the comics shouldn’t be canon in that regard. There are a few of the stories in The Lost Adventures that contradict each other a little, but a little tweaking and even that could fit.

Also further references to events in the comics can enforce the comics’ status as part of the canon. We already have a few references to The Promise in the adventure game where you can explore Republic City, which I assume most people would consider part of the canon as it give much sound information, and we have a skybison named Oogie on the show.
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2012 03:14 pm »

You must remember that A:TLA was heavily criticized by it's fans (although not to the extend Korra was) and Korra has been under heavy scrutiny as well. The fanbase is kind of prissy.

Sad but true. Sometimes I wonder how that can be when we're supposed to be the supportive "fanbase". Guess we're the "tough love" type :/

But yeah, they're canon. Everyone will have to just deal with it.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012 03:32 pm by nukilik » Logged
Kels
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2012 03:14 pm »

and we have a skybison named Oogie on the show.
Hah, I never noticed how Oogie's name is connected to the comics, lol. This is hilarious now.

"Zuko,
you have to look within yourself
to save yourself
from your other self;
only then will your true self
reveal itself."
-Zuko
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2012 03:17 pm »

While I guess the fanbase is pretty divided on how good The Promise trilogy was, it's still canon. Besides, who are we to decide what is canon and what is not? If Bryke say they're canon, they're canon. And like SMBH said, if you don't like them, you can just ignore them, but you can't really pretend they're just fancomics.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2012 03:43 pm »

You must remember that A:TLA was heavily criticized by it's fans (although not to the extend Korra was) and Korra has been under heavy scrutiny as well. The fanbase is kind of prissy.

Sad but true. Sometimes I wonder how that can be when we're supposed to be the supportive "fanbase". Guess we're the "tough love" type :/
One can be supporting through criticism, and there's a lot to criticize about the franchise as of late that will hopefully be addressed. Though when it comes to fanbases it usually just tends to devolve into mindless hatred pretty quickly.

azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2012 09:32 pm »

I've asked myself the same question over and over again

I'm still hoping for some type of time travel episode that would make this a 'what if' kind of thing

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2012 09:37 pm »

I've asked myself the same question over and over again

I'm still hoping for some type of time travel episode that would make this a 'what if' kind of thing

I support the inception theory, in part three, Aang and Zuko were sharing a dream, so let's just say the whole thing took place in limbo as Kori incepted the idea of Republic City into their heads because the whole gaang was reasonably conflicted and fell asleep at Iroh's teashop while civilly discussing the political issues like the well-rounded characters they were at the finale.

It's a good theory.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2012 09:43 pm »

It's, A theory.

Again, I'm hoping that Korra goes back in time

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
RickW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2012 05:04 am »

It's, A theory.

That's never gonna happen. Ever.
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2012 07:27 am »

It's, A theory.

I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE!! But unhappily I think it will=(
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012 07:31 am by KpKimberly » Logged

Sorry for my grammar.
plastroncafe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plastronc
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2012 10:46 am »

Of course they're canon.

Whether you consider them to be your personal canon is up to you.

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2012 10:56 am »

It's, A theory.

I really hope not. Time travelling doesn't fit the Avatar universe that well and seeing Korra tag along with the previous cast would be mostly fanservice. And while fanservice is good I think that'd be too intruding for it's own good.

KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2012 12:02 pm »

It's, A theory.

I really hope not. Time travelling doesn't fit the Avatar universe that well and seeing Korra tag along with the previous cast would be mostly fanservice. And while fanservice is good I think that'd be too intruding for it's own good.
Sry, I should express myself better. With I hope I meant I hope there won't be a flashback about this. It would be horrible!!

Sorry for my grammar.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2012 02:36 pm »

Also - the comics are good, polls show that the majority of the reader base is pleased with them, what you are seeing is a very vocal minority.

You're basically saying, "You guys have an unpopular opinion", and then implying that unpopular opinions are somehow inferior or invalid. That's perfectly fine until yours is the unpopular opinion. You're also implying that, if something is popular or well-received, then it is "good" or of good quality. "Goodness" when talking about creative works is based on completely subjective criteria, so any argument made with regards to the quality of a creative work other than "It was good because I liked it," seems meaningless and impractical. So no, something isn't "good" just because a bunch of people say it is.

Supportive Fanbase is a myth.

I support the inception theory, in part three, Aang and Zuko were sharing a dream, so let's just say the whole thing took place in limbo as Kori incepted the idea of Republic City into their heads because the whole gaang was reasonably conflicted and fell asleep at Iroh's teashop while civilly discussing the political issues like the well-rounded characters they were at the finale.

It's a good theory.

That actually is a pretty cool idea.

This would be a shameful and obvious and horribly unoriginal attempt at retconing, but the thought of timebending amuses me. So I'm okay with this as long as it looks cool.

Of course they're canon.

Personal Canon isn't an actual thing. There's Canon, which is exclusively determined by Word of God creators/writers/copyright holders, and then there is Fanon. ..Just one of my many nitpicks...

plastroncafe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plastronc
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2012 02:45 pm »

Of course they're canon.

Personal Canon isn't an actual thing. There's Canon, which is exclusively determined by Word of God creators/writers/copyright holders, and then there is Fanon. ..Just one of my many nitpicks...

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Fanon has a very specific meaning for me, being that it's extraneous information added to a pre-existing world that was not agreed upon by the creators.

Where as personal canon, well that's just a stopping point. Like pretending 3rd ed D&D didn't happen. It doesn't add anything to what's come before, it just omits what came after.

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2012 03:22 pm »

You're basically saying, "You guys have an unpopular opinion", and then implying that unpopular opinions are somehow inferior or invalid. That's perfectly fine until yours is the unpopular opinion. You're also implying that, if something is popular or well-received, then it is "good" or of good quality. "Goodness" when talking about creative works is based on completely subjective criteria, so any argument made with regards to the quality of a creative work other than "It was good because I liked it," seems meaningless and impractical. So no, something isn't "good" just because a bunch of people say it is.

I am not "implying" anything, I am replying to

well from what i've read about the promise on here i probably wouldn't like it

Where he assumes that the opinions shared within the forum are a consensus of the majority, which is in fact false, what he is observing is a reaction of a vocal minority. If he is basing his opinion based on observation on the majority, as he is thinking he's doing, then he should consult a better source. 

I have neither said nor implied anything you are talking about, what is happening right now is that you are putting words in my mouth to make whatever statement you wish to make.

nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2012 03:29 pm »

Supportive Fanbase is a myth.

Errr... sure, I guess. I'm one of the few who still finds it a bit weird that we, as fans, are harsher on all the material than casual viewers. I guess you can say all fandoms are that way and that the fact we care and analise more is the reason behind that, but I still find it a bleak view on the subject.

IDK, "supportive" is a relative term, and obviously criticism always happens (as it should), but I know some fandoms that do have a way more positive and less cynical outlook on the respective show/comic/ etc. Make of that what you will :p

Anyway, this is a pointless topic to discuss, I'm afraid.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012 03:34 pm by nukilik » Logged
Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2012 03:32 pm »

Personal Canon isn't an actual thing. There's Canon, which is exclusively determined by Word of God creators/writers/copyright holders, and then there is Fanon.
And there are Star Wars fans who deny the existence of midichlorians. As long as my private pleasure comes into play I'm the person who decide what is good enough.

Errr... sure? I guess I'm one of the few who still finds it weird that we, as fans, are harsher on all the material than casual viewers. I guess you can say all fandoms are that way and that the fact we care and analise more is the reason we feel that way, but I still find it a bleak view on the subject.

It's harder to forgive those who you care about.

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2012 03:59 pm »

Fanon has a very specific meaning for me, being that it's extraneous information added to a pre-existing world that was not agreed upon by the creators.

Where as personal canon, well that's just a stopping point. Like pretending 3rd ed D&D didn't happen. It doesn't add anything to what's come before, it just omits what came after.

I fail to see the difference in principle, unless you're claiming that "fanon" needs to have a certain number of people supporting it. Like "Fire Lady" is personal canon until 500 people start believing in it, then it becomes fanon.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: