Nov 21, 2019 04:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: are you satisfied with the book series?
yes - 34 (50.7%)
no - 27 (40.3%)
other - 6 (9%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: in general, are you satisfied? (sept, 26, 2012)  (Read 20439 times)
Fullmetal
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:53 pm »

^Yep Grin

I was gonna say how but then I didn't feel like it Undecided
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #26 on: Aug 15, 2012 10:02 pm »

^Good because I didn't feel like reading it. :b

dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2012 11:15 pm »

I really don't see why Bryke couldn't have given Gene plot points and have him connect the dots - that way, Aang WOULDN'T have promised to kill Zuko, and WOULDN'T have gone into the avatar state because Zuko had his hands on Katara, and Zuko WOULDN'T have taken career advice from Ozai...
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #28 on: Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm »

I really don't see why Bryke couldn't have given Gene plot points and have him connect the dots - that way, Aang WOULDN'T have promised to kill Zuko, and WOULDN'T have gone into the avatar state because Zuko had his hands on Katara, and Zuko WOULDN'T have taken career advice from Ozai...

This.
The subplot with Aang killing Zuko is so incredibly unnecessary. They could still have drama without that. That's too much drama. I want to see them friends, didn't I just watch a whole show of them hating each other? And they still could've been in a dispute without you know-Aang taking heads off. Roll Eyes

And Ozai too, again, unnecessary melodrama. Zuko could still be having all of these uncertainty issues without crawling back to daddy. Again, didn't I just watch an entire show of Zuko overcoming that?

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2012 11:35 pm »

This.
The subplot with Aang killing Zuko is so incredibly unnecessary. They could still have drama without that. That's too much drama. I want to see them friends, didn't I just watch a whole show of them hating each other? And they still could've been in a dispute without you know-Aang taking heads off. Roll Eyes

And Ozai too, again, unnecessary melodrama. Zuko could still be having all of these uncertainty issues without crawling back to daddy. Again, didn't I just watch an entire show of Zuko overcoming that?

It's like Aang resolving the war without violence and Zuko choosing Iroh over Ozai never happened...did Gene even WATCH the third season?
gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Asami, the nonbending swagbender

« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2012 11:54 pm »

Not at all satisfied. It's a completely shallow, awkward, out of character, unnecessarily romantic take on what could have been an intriguing conflict.

The plot devices that are meant to give off some larger message come off as completely weird and unnecessary. I'm sorry, WHY did Sneers have to be dating Kori? Useless.

The metalbending plot- marginally interesting but overall- could've been better in a different comic. Same goes for the Aang + fangirl bit. A collection of short stories with the gAang that relate to Korra would've worked great and been wildly popular. Instead, we just have "chapters" that have completely random stuff thrown in there.

Okay, and I am 10^103839 % sure that the Azula conflict will be handled badly. There is no way Gene Yang will be able to deal with her properly. She's arguably the one of the, if not the most complex character of the series, although she got relatively little screentime in the show.

There are writers out there who characterize her almost perfectly. She's portrayed as a 3D character with very real problems in a world where all is not fun and games. If they could write "The Search", I'm sure that they would do justice with her.

However, since the guy who decided to make Aang a killer overnight, the guy who decided to bring back a completely random character that no one gives a damn about just t add even more useless, poorly planned romance to the ATLA/LOK world is writing it, I'm avoiding getting my hopes up.

“Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'”
 -Alexander Dumas, The Counte of Monte Cristo

Icon by Plushu Smiley
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2012 01:20 am »

I also don't think the stories would be better, if Bryke would write them...
it would be even worse!!
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012 09:10 am by KpKimberly » Logged

Sorry for my grammar.
layton2012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2012 01:30 am »

I don't hate it, I agree that Zuko, and Aang seemed a bit out of character at times, but I'm still enjoying it, since it may be the most we get of completely fleshed out Aang stories after the original series.
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Aug 16, 2012 05:07 am »

Okay, and I am 10^103839 % sure that the Azula conflict will be handled badly. There is no way Gene Yang will be able to deal with her properly. She's arguably the one of the, if not the most complex character of the series, although she got relatively little screentime in the show.

thats what im thinking

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Aug 16, 2012 08:45 am »

I agree that even if Bryke were writing the comic stories, some fans would still find things wrong with it. They have with Korra.
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #35 on: Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm »

^They would, but people still love Korra even though they complain. It would be way better if they'd written it, idc if it's a different medium, it still would've been better and it wouldn't have as many issues as it does now.

dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:03 pm »

I agree that even if Bryke were writing the comic stories, some fans would still find things wrong with it. They have with Korra.

I think that you are right that some will never be happy, no matter who does the writing.  However, I think that the majority of problems with Korra stemmed from the fact that, initially, Nick told Bryke that it had to be a series that concluded in 12 episodes, which necessitated some of the things that people have found problems with - things like the compression of a lot of the plot lines into just a few episodes, the too-tidy resolutions, and the lack of character development.  With the comic series, however, the things that people have complained about mostly have to do with character development that seems to be in opposition to the character development in the series, and with the sheer amount of "filler."  It all could have been done much better had the main plot really been fleshed out and the metalbending/extraneous romance been truncated.

This leads me to another point: would the fans have rather seen a Sneers/Kori romance, or a more in-depth look at Mai & Zuko's deteriorating relationship?  I know what my answer is!
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #37 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:08 pm »

Why is Sneers even in it? Nobody likes Sneers. Not that anyone hates or dislikes him, but I don't think anyone likes Sneers. I kind of totally forgot about his existence, he was a background character in like two episodes, why is he suddenly dating Kori... I mean, I get that it's to show the tension between Yu Dao and The Earth Kingdom and stuff, but it just seems so random and weird.

And I think everyone would rather see a more in-depth look at Zuko and Mai's dwindling relationship than Kori x Sneers... -__-

Also, I get that Mai is mad at Zuko for keeping secrets from her, but I can't really see Mai leaving him in a time like this. Doesn't she realize how much he's falling apart at the moment? Oh...story..... Roll Eyes

KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #38 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:11 pm »

The first thing that annoys me is the whole idea to create a new show. There are people who love LoK, but I (really sorry for them) damn it. 12 episodes were enough!!
They should have stayed with the Book 4 on TV idea. The comics wouldn't excist then. But Gene could still write something about Toph's academy or the future of the Gaang.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012 02:13 pm by KpKimberly » Logged

Sorry for my grammar.
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #39 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:18 pm »

Why is Sneers even in it? Nobody likes Sneers. Not that anyone hates or dislikes him, but I don't think anyone likes Sneers. I kind of totally forgot about his existence, he was a background character in like two episodes, why is he suddenly dating Kori... I mean, I get that it's to show the tension between Yu Dao and The Earth Kingdom and stuff, but it just seems so random and weird.

And I think everyone would rather see a more in-depth look at Zuko and Mai's dwindling relationship than Kori x Sneers... -__-

Also, I get that Mai is mad at Zuko for keeping secrets from her, but I can't really see Mai leaving him in a time like this. Doesn't she realize how much he's falling apart at the moment? Oh...story..... Roll Eyes

I agree whole-heartedly.  Sneers?  Really, Sneers?  I would have preferred Pipsqueak - at least we have some emotional attachment to him, after "The
Day of Black Sun."

And, although I disagree with you about Mai - she has seemed a little hotheaded about breaking up with Zuko before (in "The Beach"), I would have liked to have seen what is going on with them.
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #40 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:22 pm »

^That's true, she did dump him pretty fast in The Beach. But it came so out of nowhere in the comic, I would've liked to have seen more of it. And as much as the Toph and Sokka side story was nice to see, I would've rather seen more time on how Mai and Zuko's relationship crashed and burned as opposed to "we gotta take down the firebending school and be true to ourselves gaiz", "no one's ever thought I could be more than a spoiled brat", that's nice and all, but I don't think anyone could care less about Doom Guy, The Dark One, and that little girl's insecurity issues.

And again, Sneers? Just why? How is Gene Yang even a fan of him? I'd rather he made up a boyfriend for Kori. Or brought Jet back to life like he wanted to before Bryke said no when you're dead, you're dead, there's no crying tears of Pokemon to revive you from stone in Avatar.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012 02:28 pm by PokemonLotty » Logged

dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #41 on: Aug 16, 2012 03:32 pm »

^To be absolutely honest, when I first saw Sneers and Kori together, I thought "wow!  A same sex couple!"  Then, of course, I realized that Sneers is a boy.  It was not easy to discern...
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #42 on: Aug 16, 2012 03:35 pm »

^LOL I thought that too!! I thought it was a girl, and I was like" wait, what is going on, how'd they get away with this" then I was like "oh...." lollol. Sneers was harder to distinguish by gender than Smellerbee.

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Aug 16, 2012 03:40 pm »

You know, I think a lot of the bad plotpoints people hate on are from Bryke - Aang willing to kill, Zuko going to Ozai - on more than a few occasions Gene have said that he is working closely with M&B.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #44 on: Aug 16, 2012 03:54 pm »

You know, I think a lot of the bad plotpoints people hate on are from Bryke - Aang willing to kill, Zuko going to Ozai - on more than a few occasions Gene have said that he is working closely with M&B.

Did Bryke say that those were their plotpoints?
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Aug 16, 2012 04:13 pm »

They have hardly commented on the comic, most of the info is from Gene.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Aug 16, 2012 04:23 pm »

To answer the question:

Overall, I'm indifferent. Not completely satisfied but still interested because it is canon and I am curious.

I just do not like how Gene is handling the characters. (particularly Sokka, Aang, and Zuko).

dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #47 on: Aug 16, 2012 04:25 pm »

I guess it's all conjecture on our parts unless Bryke comes out and says something.
neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Aug 16, 2012 04:27 pm »

Mike said on a podcast with his friend that they give Gene general info.
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino/posts/399566836772577

nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #49 on: Aug 16, 2012 04:30 pm »

^ And if he's working "closely" and Brike are "very involved" as they said themselves then they HAVE to be behind, or at the very least accept and approve, of those major plot points, no? :p
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: