Dec 06, 2019 09:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: are you satisfied with the book series?
yes - 34 (50.7%)
no - 27 (40.3%)
other - 6 (9%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: in general, are you satisfied? (sept, 26, 2012)  (Read 20613 times)
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #150 on: Mar 15, 2014 09:07 pm »

Mostly satisfied.  The promise had its problems but considering its a comic book I felt that the characters, mostly, felt and sounded true to their characters from the show.  Some missteps here and there, but overall as good as any of the filler episodes of the series.  The Search was as good as most primary episodes of the series and its to early to make a call on the Rift but I'm liking what I see so far.

I have a tendency to think that people hyper critique anything that's been done in the Avatar universe since the original series ended and make it less fun for themselves while forgetting the problems in the original series.  So far, in my opinion, the comics have been true to the tone and feel of the series and am eagerly awaiting the Rift parts 2 and 3.

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #151 on: Mar 16, 2014 04:02 am »

Mostly satisfied.  The promise had its problems but considering its a comic book I felt that the characters, mostly, felt and sounded true to their characters from the show.  Some missteps here and there, but overall as good as any of the filler episodes of the series.  The Search was as good as most primary episodes of the series and its to early to make a call on the Rift but I'm liking what I see so far.

I have a tendency to think that people hyper critique anything that's been done in the Avatar universe since the original series ended and make it less fun for themselves while forgetting the problems in the original series.  So far, in my opinion, the comics have been true to the tone and feel of the series and am eagerly awaiting the Rift parts 2 and 3.
No, I dislike comics, and I remember the series flaws all too clearly. Thing, no matter how an episode of ATLA got, the characters were always the characters and it was essentially consistent. The comic disregard canon - those watertribe girls, Zuko's character development, characterisation, and miss out on opportunities which may been as awesome as the series.

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #152 on: Mar 16, 2014 09:54 am »

^You've made it pretty clear that you don't like anything that came out after the series for quite some time. Not mention that you are quite rude and have a tendency to ruin the fun and enjoyment some are having with the comics. How about you stop reading  the comics if you hate all three of them. No one is stopping you.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #153 on: Mar 16, 2014 02:21 pm »

^ No one is stopping you from enjoying the comics even if others don't, Fire Rose. This thread is especially designed for people to give their opinions on the comics, good or bad; you shouldn't get mad at them for doing exactly that.

If you feel like people are ruining discussion in other threads by posting extensive amounts of nonconstructive criticism, you can report them, but please, let's not have this kind of fights on the forum again.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #154 on: Mar 16, 2014 02:47 pm »

Actually, I've noticed a trend between people who dislike the comics and people who consider Book Fire to be very flawed ending to ATLA. So it's definitely not a problem with the comics simply not being the cartoon.

Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #155 on: Mar 16, 2014 05:57 pm »

^You've made it pretty clear that you don't like anything that came out after the series for quite some time. Not mention that you are quite rude and have a tendency to ruin the fun and enjoyment some are having with the comics. How about you stop reading  the comics if you hate all three of them. No one is stopping you.
Gee, as soon as gives their honest opinion, in an opinion thread no less, that just happens to  contrast with someone else's, they're insulted and told to shut it. Thanks. So, what exactly makes my opinion block out the sun for you? Is it the legitemate criticisms I've thought hard about and given? Why should I stop reading? I watched all the terrible Star Wars Prequels out of obligation (I NEEDED TO SEE HOW IT ENDED... Even though I already  kind of knew how it ended...). If I find something lacklustre, I say  it - sorry if I didn't sugarcoat it for you. Honestly, if you like it, fine, I'm not expecting you to become a clone of me just because I expressed my opinion - but, it's pretty unfair to tell me to shut up and stop reading. That's like saying my opinion is worthless. Geez.  Besides, I wanna see if Gene will ever make a comic I do enjoy - which is possible, I guess.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2014 06:02 pm by Blue Warpath » Logged

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #156 on: Mar 17, 2014 01:07 pm »

I'm sorry if I came off rude to you.

You have the right to express your opinion but you don't be blunt and aggressive about it to the point where maybe some don't take you seriously.Treat people how you want to be treated regardless because this the internet and things can be easily taken out of context. Have some etiquette. Of course I can't force you on that because that's who you are and so its best for someone like me to just ignore or walk away.

I am sorry and I will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014 01:15 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #157 on: Mar 17, 2014 02:26 pm »

I'm sorry if I came off rude to you.

You have the right to express your opinion but you don't be blunt and aggressive about it to the point where maybe some don't take you seriously.Treat people how you want to be treated regardless because this the internet and things can be easily taken out of context. Have some etiquette. Of course I can't force you on that because that's who you are and so its best for someone like me to just ignore or walk away.

I am sorry and I will leave it at that.
Apology accepted. Fine, I suppose I'll try to be less... Abrasive. But, I hope you understand this'll be tricky for me. It's more of an experiment. Not one which will last long, probably - ettiquette is tiring, I've suffered years of it already.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #158 on: Mar 17, 2014 02:45 pm »

Fair enough. It's tricky for me to not take things as a personal attack on what I like (I admit that I'm a sensitive persons) but I'll try my best not to do that as well.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #159 on: Mar 17, 2014 03:01 pm »

Fair enough. It's tricky for me to not take things as a personal attack on what I like (I admit that I'm a sensitive persons) but I'll try my best not to do that as well.

Believe me, I know where you're coming from. I feel the same way about Korra.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #160 on: Mar 17, 2014 04:50 pm »

I still think it comes less from a real resolute dip in quality (Although I do not deny that there is one) than it does from a general consequence of growing into adulthood.  There's simply no way to deny that the instant a person logs onto the internet and enters into any kind of forum debate environment, for some god unknown reason, we all at some point are capable of become vicious cynical critics that like our jungle primate ancestors before us are willing to attack even the least offensive aspects of the things we once loved (or tolerated) with alarming tenacity.  Bashing their brains in, and then drinking out of their broken skulls as though they were soup bowls (Seriously watch Discovery Channel's 'Planet Earth' scary stuff...)

I've seen every episode of Avatar at least four times (maybe more I dunno, a general overall 'full series' estimate.)  Zuko behaved a bit oddly in the Promise I agree, but did he behave SO oddly that he felt like a completely different character to me?  No, he felt off in the way that in a filler episode Zuko felt off (The stupid beach anyone?) and I think he behaved just right in the Search.  The same can be said of any of the other characters.  Some people complain that Sokka has become nothing but the slapstick comedy... but 50-60% of Sokka has ALWAYS been 'self inflicted' slapstick comedy and in the Promise at least I think he was actually well balanced between his two core aspects (those being sarcastic slapstick comedy/the tactician) and whenever a story particularly focuses around him you get to have the tactician Sokka... but in another persons story arc, Sokka's part to play was traditionally the slapstick buffoonery.  We all just accepted and loved it because thanks to several strategic episodes, we were always on the inside knowing that not only was there more to him than that, he was probably the smartest person in the room at any moment, making his sarcasm seem all the more real, whilst making his buffoonery even funnier.

I truly believe that much of the dissatisfaction we find in the series as it progress is as much a result of our own growing up and the general cynicism that this particular generation has been fostering thanks to the general decline of American living conditions/economy etc. as it is the result of the dip in quality (There's no question that Korra is not at the level of storytelling that ATLA was, but by the same token, Studio Mir is leagues above anything that ATLA offered us in terms of animation/art everything they touch is beautiful.)

There's still a LOT to love about the world of Avatar, and I just don't believe that the situation is anywhere near as dire or problematic as it sometimes feels to me that the general consensus on this website seems to believe.  Find any fansite populated by the people enjoying Korra of the general age range that we were at the time of ATLA and you will usually find a very different overall dynamic that may be much closer to how we fawned over the original series.  Then flashforward those children (like in your minds eye or whatever) and you may find they've all got similar things to say about future medium that we do...

Dunno, sometimes I just wish I could get it all back, but the internet marches on.

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #161 on: Mar 17, 2014 05:23 pm »

I still think it comes less from a real resolute dip in quality (Although I do not deny that there is one) than it does from a general consequence of growing into adulthood.
I truly believe that much of the dissatisfaction we find in the series as it progress is as much a result of our own growing up and the general cynicism that this particular generation has been fostering thanks to the general decline of American living conditions/economy etc. as it is the result of the dip in quality (There's no question that Korra is not at the level of storytelling that ATLA was, but by the same token, Studio Mir is leagues above anything that ATLA offered us in terms of animation/art everything they touch is beautiful.)

I discovered Avatar when I was 26. Being 32 doesn't seem to have affected my tastes in any other respect. In fact, I've probably become a little less cynical and critical. I used to get really made about continuity problems in the Star Wars EU; now I just laugh at them. (Although whether getting fatalist about that is a point of growth is debatable.)

I think you're probably best off not trying to make sweeping generalizations about people with different opinions than you.

There's still a LOT to love about the world of Avatar, and I just don't believe that the situation is anywhere near as dire or problematic as it sometimes feels to me that the general consensus on this website seems to believe.

You think there's a consensus here? Wow, it's like we're participating in two completely different discussion forums.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #162 on: Mar 17, 2014 05:44 pm »

I still think it comes less from a real resolute dip in quality (Although I do not deny that there is one) than it does from a general consequence of growing into adulthood.

I discovered Avatar when I was 26. Being 32 doesn't seem to have affected my tastes in any other respect. In fact, I've probably become a little less cynical and critical. I used to get really made about continuity problems in the Star Wars EU; now I just laugh at them. (Although whether getting fatalist about that is a point of growth is debatable.)

I think you're probably best off not trying to make sweeping generalizations about people with different opinions than you.

Fair enough, there's certainly nothing stating that every fan is of a certain age group, but there is definitively a common age group (perhaps sweepingly generalized at least by the marketing standpoint) and when ATLA came out, most of its viewers were likely in their preteens, whereas LoK and the comic books probably have a higher average age range among their consumers.  This much at least I'm sure we can agree with no matter what age range we took up the series, it was originally intended for children.  I also don't think its a sweeping generalization to state that the average post on the internet is a negative one.  I can go to practically any website in the world on almost any topic in the world and if there are more than one hundred posted responses, seventy of them will be cynical.

There's still a LOT to love about the world of Avatar, and I just don't believe that the situation is anywhere near as dire or problematic as it sometimes feels to me that the general consensus on this website seems to believe.

You think there's a consensus here? Wow, it's like we're participating in two completely different discussion forums.

There is a LOT more negativity.  To the point there's even a sticky on this very site pleading with its users on the subject.  Perhaps consensus is the wrong word, but there's no doubt that there is a particularly high degree of dissatisfaction among, if not the average user, among those who post most frequently.  I don't know what that means mind you, I'm no prestigious analyst just a lady on her laptop making observations, obviously these people post frequently because they care, I'm not saying they don't, I'm just unsure if the level of dissatisfaction is truly warranted or not and I'm putting in my two cents.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #163 on: Mar 17, 2014 05:58 pm »

and when ATLA came out, most of its viewers were likely in their preteens, whereas LoK and the comic books probably have a higher average age range among their consumers.

See, I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I don't know what ATLA's viewer-age mode was, but it definitely skewed higher than was intended when the show was first conceived. I know when there was a poll on these forums, most of our users were college-age.

I also don't think its a sweeping generalization to state that the average post on the internet is a negative one.  I can go to practically any website in the world on almost any topic in the world and if there are more than one hundred posted responses, seventy of them will be cynical.

Oh, it's definitely a sweeping generalization. The question is whether it's right. Wink

Myself, I don't know. I haven't visited enough of the internet to say. Before I found the ATLA fandom, I'd have said that the internet was 90% male and sexist. Since then, I've discovered a whole new side of the internet, one with plenty of women and feminists, to the point where I can no longer guess a percentage. I don't like to try to go into detail about the nature of something as big and varied as the internet.

There is a LOT more negativity.  To the point there's even a sticky on this very site pleading with its users on the subject.  Perhaps consensus is the wrong word, but there's no doubt that there is a particularly high degree of dissatisfaction among, if not the average user, among those who post most frequently.  I don't know what that means mind you, I'm no prestigious analyst just a lady on her laptop making observations, obviously these people post frequently because they care, I'm not saying they don't, I'm just unsure if the level of dissatisfaction is truly warranted or not and I'm putting in my two cents.

The negativity spoken of in those Admin posts is regarding LoK. I'd say the people who are negative about the comics are simply a loud minority.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #164 on: Mar 17, 2014 06:12 pm »

There is a LOT more negativity.  To the point there's even a sticky on this very site pleading with its users on the subject.  Perhaps consensus is the wrong word, but there's no doubt that there is a particularly high degree of dissatisfaction among, if not the average user, among those who post most frequently.  I don't know what that means mind you, I'm no prestigious analyst just a lady on her laptop making observations, obviously these people post frequently because they care, I'm not saying they don't, I'm just unsure if the level of dissatisfaction is truly warranted or not and I'm putting in my two cents.

It's true that TLOK/the comics are getting a lot more negativity than ATLA ever did. IMO, there's three main reasons for that (note: I wrote "TLOK" here, but all reasons apply to the comics as well):

1) TLOK just isn't as good as ATLA. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but since everyone compares it to its predecessor (because duh), the flaws stand out more.

2) Back with ATLA, the only people who watched it and joined the forum/fandom were people who liked it. Those who didn't just stayed away. Nowadays, the fandom consists of three groups: 1) People who joined because they liked TLOK, 2) people who joined because of ATLA but also like TLOK, and 3) people who joined because of ATLA and don't really like TLOK, but keep following it anyway because they are rooted in the Avatar fandom. So for the first time, you have a group of people who doesn't necessarily like TLOK, but who will watch it and give their opinion anyway because they are still interested to see what's going on in the Avatarverse.

2) There's a lot of time without info between seasons. When you have nothing new to talk about, it's easier to keep discussing the flaws and possible cures than to keep repeating what you liked.

So yeah, TLOK is probably getting more flack than other series of the same quality. But this isn't because of conscious malice; it's just a side effect of the way the fandom has grown.

Katherine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #165 on: Mar 17, 2014 06:20 pm »

There is a LOT more negativity.  To the point there's even a sticky on this very site pleading with its users on the subject.  Perhaps consensus is the wrong word, but there's no doubt that there is a particularly high degree of dissatisfaction among, if not the average user, among those who post most frequently.  I don't know what that means mind you, I'm no prestigious analyst just a lady on her laptop making observations, obviously these people post frequently because they care, I'm not saying they don't, I'm just unsure if the level of dissatisfaction is truly warranted or not and I'm putting in my two cents.

It's true that TLOK/the comics are getting a lot more negativity than ATLA ever did. IMO, there's three main reasons for that (note: I wrote "TLOK" here, but all reasons apply to the comics as well):

1) TLOK just isn't as good as ATLA. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but since everyone compares it to its predecessor (because duh), the flaws stand out more.

2) Back with ATLA, the only people who watched it and joined the forum/fandom were people who liked it. Those who didn't just stayed away. Nowadays, the fandom consists of three groups: 1) People who joined because they liked TLOK, 2) people who joined because of ATLA but also like TLOK, and 3) people who joined because of ATLA and don't really like TLOK, but keep following it anyway because they are rooted in the Avatar fandom. So for the first time, you have a group of people who doesn't necessarily like TLOK, but who will watch it and give their opinion anyway because they are still interested to see what's going on in the Avatarverse.

2) There's a lot of time without info between seasons. When you have nothing new to talk about, it's easier to keep discussing the flaws and possible cures than to keep repeating what you liked.

So yeah, TLOK is probably getting more flack than other series of the same quality. But this isn't because of conscious malice; it's just a side effect of the way the fandom has grown.

The Legend of Korra is an unfinished product and Avatar: The Last Airbender is. Considering 3/4 of Team Avatar hasn't gone through the Change, although they were steadily approaching it in Book 2, some of the negativity LoK gets does seem a little unwarranted.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #166 on: Mar 17, 2014 06:21 pm »

Give me a few more series like LoK, and maybe I'll indulge in some conscious malice. Just on the weekends, though; it gives me heartburn.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #167 on: Mar 18, 2014 06:33 am »

I gotta say, on my reread, I find the comics very enjoyable. I stopped nitpicking every tiny thing. But of course, there are stuff I still do not like. But overall, I think my hard opinion about it changed.

D3stiny_Sm4sher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Life happens wherever you are...

« Reply #168 on: Mar 18, 2014 09:31 pm »

Like with Legend of Korra, the comics' flaws aren't as apparent when you're not looking for them, especially when you can read entire story arcs straight in a row rather than waiting 4 months between 80 page issues.

I'm with NeeNee on the 'three-forked-fandom' theory. I probably best fit into the third category, but the thing is, I do still like Legend of Korra -- on the occasion when it's written well. In Book 1, for me, that was the majority of it. With Book 2, it was only certain parts of it.

But trying to excuse people's criticism by saying "it's not finished yet" is funny to me, because a quality story is still good at the beginning, the middle, and the end -- not just the end. And LoK was originally conceived as just a 12 episode miniseries, so it was technically already "complete" when its first season ended. This newest issue of The Rift is only 1/3 of a complete story arc, but I was very satisfied because it was written more thoughtfully and deliberately than any previous volume in the comic series so far.

The comics are in line with the more light-hearted episodes of ATLA. They have some issues, like ATLA does itself (like anything does), but Yang's specific approach to the franchise feels rooted in the 'fieldtrips' portion of Book 3. It's more light-hearted writing woven around occasionally mature themes and ideas. Either way, the comics are consistent within themselves. LoK has not been, not even within its own seasons in terms of how it is written and how it approaches its pacing.

If the creators didn't want their work to be held up to the same standards as their previous work, they shouldn't have made a sequel. You don't get to have your cake and eat it, too, but -- very much like its adolescent protagonist -- the tone of LoK's writing and how its creators react to criticism conveys an unrealistic desire to milk an audience's "feels" over older characters while simultaneously shirking off direct comparisons in terms of writing quality. And, like with Star Wars, Avatar is a franchise that touches many people in different ways, and its fans actively care about the characters/world. So when we get more in a canonical way, we prefer for it to uphold the level of quality that existed in its earlier days.

But sequels outside of video games can be very difficult to maintain that expectation with.

Author and art gallery manager of 'What I Learned at SRU' and 'Esteemed.'
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #169 on: Mar 20, 2014 08:49 pm »

Like with Legend of Korra, the comics' flaws aren't as apparent when you're not looking for them, especially when you can read entire story arcs straight in a row rather than waiting 4 months between 80 page issues.

You people make me feel so alone. I'm still shocked that everyone doesn't have mental commentary going on while reading or watching stories, doing things like questioning why Kori's motivations change from scene to scene or why Zuko's character journey changes after he reads the letter Azula was hiding in her boot. Yes, while I'm reading. Novels and comics.

AmonKorra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #170 on: Mar 20, 2014 10:54 pm »

It depends on the material, in my case. With the comics, unless an action really catches me off-guard, I don't concern myself with mental commentary.

"The power of the shinobi...is the power to protect what's important to you."
"Okay, then, tell me. Are you prepared to kill to protect what's important to you?"
Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #171 on: Mar 22, 2014 08:20 pm »

You people make me feel so alone. I'm still shocked that everyone doesn't have mental commentary going on while reading or watching stories, doing things like questioning why Kori's motivations change from scene to scene or why Zuko's character journey changes after he reads the letter Azula was hiding in her boot. Yes, while I'm reading. Novels and comics.
*points at self* Um, 'everyone'? I've been criticising these comics from the get-go for their flaws. When I'm reading, I think about what I'm reading - which tends to make me pick things apart in the process and leave me thoroughly disatisfied at times. Sadly, I don't know how to switch off that part of my brain.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2014 08:24 pm by Blue Warpath » Logged

guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #172 on: Mar 22, 2014 09:50 pm »

After I read portions of the Promise I just promised myself (haha) that I wouldn't take the comics seriously. I think my enjoyment would have gone up...if I continued to read obviously. >___>

I read a bit of The Rift though? Seems like nothing has changed, so I'll just read it and go "haha, there's action here!"

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
unicornpowah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #173 on: Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm »

Not satisfied, reading The Promise literally put me in a depressed state for a few days because of how much I hated it, but Blue Warpath already ranted all the problems I had with the comics, so...I guess I'll say the few things I like about them?

It brings up some good questions that were left unanswered in the show. I hate the characterization in the comics, it's like the Gaang decided to go to Iroh's teashop right before the comics started and then got a hangover from too much tea so then they had to be replaced by the Dai Li brainwashed cosplaying Gaang during the comics while the real ones recover, but, I think that Azula's characterization in the Search was quite interesting, and it was the only thing that made me (sort of) enjoy it. Also, it does seem like Gene is improving, however slowly. >.>
Invisible Ink
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #174 on: Mar 25, 2014 11:02 pm »

Kori's motivations kept changing because that was the kind of person she was.  She kept trying to rationalize her motives because her real reasons for saving Yu Dao were personal.  Think of an anti-Jet.  (Hey, I think I just found a new ship.)

Things that seem separate and different are really one and the same.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: