Dec 06, 2019 01:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: are you satisfied with the book series?
yes - 34 (50.7%)
no - 27 (40.3%)
other - 6 (9%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: in general, are you satisfied? (sept, 26, 2012)  (Read 20536 times)
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Aug 14, 2012 09:04 pm »

in general, are you satisfied with the direction the book series?

these are the results before issue three of the promise came out
yes 13 (32.5%)
no 21 (52.5%)
other 6 (15%)

these are the results before Issue three of the search
yes - 20 (45.5%)
no - 21 (47.7%)
other - 3 (6.8%)
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2013 06:06 pm by azure_flame » Logged

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2012 09:14 pm »

Is there any reason this can't be discussed in the normal comic book threads?

azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2012 12:44 am »

I want to know the percentage of people that like what gene is doing

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2012 12:46 am »

Is there any reason for the date in the thread title? Is this being recorded for research?
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:13 am »

Is there any reason for the date in the thread title? Ss this being recorded for research?

yes actually is

MelodicMarzipan
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Call me Marzi, why don't ya?

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:14 am »

I'm gonna say no.

Keeper of Noatak's face paint and Pabu's roar.

OC Art
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:19 am »

I saying no. Gene clearly just doesn't know how to write these characters, well mainly just Zuko and Aang. They seem so out of character it makes me sick.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:20 am »

No I'm not!! I have my issues with the whole graphic novel stuff. The story is also bad. I'd be only happy if a book 4 on TV comes out.

Sorry for my grammar.
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:25 am »

I actually met gene and he's nice guy and he's a fan of toph. I really like him So it pops it is a bit to say but

what the heck is going on?

I mean I know theres been a time skip

but come on

and not just him

but the original creators to

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:37 am »

The thing that dissapointed me was the metalbending academy, it's filler time we don't need. Not that filler is bad, but it took too much time.

Other than that - I'm glad that Zuko isn't a brilliant Firelord, he needs to learn a lot before he can do his job properly, Aang has no idea of how to handle politics as well. Overall the set-up, the story and so forth are great, the execution could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse as well.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:37 am »

I never said something against Gene. I LOVE him. I don't like Bryke. I only dislike the comic idea. And some unnecessary things. Especially in part two. While the important things weren't there. If the comics would come out on TV in two years or.....it would also be fantastic!! Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2012 01:40 am by KpKimberly » Logged

Sorry for my grammar.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2012 11:18 am »

Is there any reason for the date in the thread title? Ss this being recorded for research?

yes actually is

The date of the first post is time stamped on it so there's no need to actually put the date in the title.

Qin Shi Huang
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

All Under Heaven

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2012 03:04 pm »

I liked the comics untill now,we'll just wait and see for the promise 3 and the search
the only thing I disliked was the lack of Sukka and the kyoshi warriors serving as Zuko's bodyguards IN THE FIRE NATION!! OMG!! they should be protecting/helping the Earth kingdom!!

Luen Yang also gave a nice focus to Toph, Kuei's ''be a man!'' moment and some random EK moments <yu dao, toph's students, aang fan club, etc>

I Keep: War Minister Qin's hat - Chin the Great's shoes -

''^ Dude, if both betrayed her again, she'd end it right there and then.'' - Flipdark95
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2012 03:17 pm »

The only thing I disliked was the lack of Sukka and the Kyoshi Warriors serving as Zuko's bodyguards IN THE FIRE NATION!! OMG!! they should be protecting/helping the Earth kingdom!!

Okay, this thing always irked me: why should the KWs protect the Earth Kingdom? Technically, their nationality is 'Avatar' as they follow the cultural footsteps of Avatar Kyoshi, so they probably don't care too much about this whole earth/fire/air/water stuff. And even then, where could they help the EK? There is a bigger problem in the FN, a problem fit for the Kyoshi Warrior's training and style. So I just can't understand why it is so wrong that the Kyoshi Warriors are protecting the Fire Lord  Tongue...

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Qin Shi Huang
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

All Under Heaven

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2012 04:30 pm »

Yes, he can trust in the Imperial Elite QinShiHuangDi's Firebenders or if he's afraid of their intense loyalty to the truerest of the royal family <Azula,Ozai> Zuko could ask the help of FN elite swordsman like Piandao/his students or high ranking military like the Rough Rhinos...

It sounds strange a foreign,earth kingdom group trying to protect the leader of the FIRE NATION
It's like Elite firebenders fighting/protecting for the Earth King, or Terra team defending water tribe...

''^ Dude, if both betrayed her again, she'd end it right there and then.'' - Flipdark95
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2012 04:36 pm »

It sounds strange a foreign,earth kingdom group trying to protect the leader of the FIRE NATION.

Again, they aren't really an Earth Kingdom group.

Oh, and according to their minimalistic canon info, the Kyoshi Warriors are mainly a security force (don't ask how stealth comes for security tasks  Cheesy), so it sounds pretty logical for me that Mai asked them for a security duty.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Qin Shi Huang
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

All Under Heaven

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2012 04:41 pm »

Well, we got so few canon info that telling about them is pretty hard... Kyoshi archipelago is almost like a 5th nation, specially due to the fact that they use Kyoshi's makeup and clothing <which comes from the EK> but uses different hairstyle from the rest of EK AND Blue-colored clothings o_O

DeusExKatrina
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Carly Shay Guevara

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2012 06:52 pm »

Normally I 'poo poo' overcritical fans and stand by my shows. I try never to demand too much from a show, especially not one that's already 'proven' itself. But there are certain cases, occasionally, when things really do go down hill in a notable way... and I'm not one to gloss over those cases, either. This, I consider one of them.

I'm sure Gene is a very talented author, and he had an uphill battle adding to a story that, despite a few loose ends from the series, really doesn't have anywhere left to go. ATLA's storyline follows such a classic archetype that it's hard to create new storylines for these characters to follow. Not to mention Aang has mastered the elements, the Avatar State, and the spirit world... plus most of the world loves him. There isn't a whole lot of conflict that can arise here, not on a major level.

Even when you get into threats like Yakone, who was possibly the most powerful bender we've ever seen, it only took Avatar Aang like 20 seconds to defeat him. A serialization of the Yakone conflict would have played out more like Batman: The Animated Series than like Avatar: The Last Airbender. The bulk of the story would have consisted of them gathering evidence, figuring out what's going on behind the scenes, and sending him to trial.

Even when it comes to Ursa, Azula's redemption, and resistance to Zuko as firelord, these are storylines that would work better as 'The Beach' type episodes than as the driving story arc for a season. They're interpersonal, psychological conflicts rather than global or physical conflicts. And as much as I would DIE OF HAPPINESS if the ATLA comics were nothing but 'The Beach' style character studies (it would be my favorite thing... ever) that's entirely implausible and they would never have made comics that deviated so greatly from the attributes that generally defined ATLA.

So, yeah, do I think he's doing a bad job? Yes. But I think he's doing the best he can with a difficult circumstance. And I'm not sure how much better anyone could have done, other than maybe with Aang's characterization (and possibly Iroh's absence, pending the ultimate reveal as to why he's been absent).

Honestly, as cheesy as it would have been, covering these important issues as flashback episodes of The Legend of Korra would have worked out much better. As individual episodes, they would not be burdened with the need to mimic ATLA's global scope or carry an overt conflict. You could have a few character-driven episodes without rocking the boat, just like ATLA did. And it wouldn't even necessarily have to be clumsily thrown in, they could work it in so as to make it genuinely relevant to Korra and what's going on in the present, as many previous Avatar's experiences were for Aang.

\\\"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.\\\"
Team Azula.
Keeper of Korra\\\'s misadventure with the powder puff and the Korra = Amon = Aang theory.
dianam41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko by Konietzko

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2012 07:37 pm »

I am not very happy, as many have pointed out, with the characterizations of Zuko and, particularly, Aang.  I also feel, like many have said, that the Metalbending Academy schtick is just filler.  HOWEVER, having said that, I am just ecstatic to see ANYTHING at all Avatar-related, and, it is, for this reason, that I support the series and will buy ANY and ALL merchandise, serializations, etc., because that is what Nickelodeon understands...

However, I think that Gene really needs to get a co-author who understands the characters a little better than he obviously does.  Someone to say, "I don't think Aang/Zuko/Katara would say/do that."
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:00 pm »

^Yeah, this pretty much. I completely agree. I really do wish Bryke would've just written these themselves, like how long would it have taken them...each comic is what? One episode....I write longer 15,000 worded fanfictions without any forethought in one day. Bryke could write those comics and it shouldn't take that long, get an editor, girhiru can stay as the artists, like...was hiring a separate author necessary? Maybe I'm being sort of naive and ignorant on the production of comics, but, I really don't see how it would cut THAT much time out of Bryke's Korra schedule to handle The Promise. And I /especially/ think The Search should be all on them. Like, seriously? Don't they realize how judgemental of that story the fans were gonna be regardless because of all the 5 years of hype? Plus, making us wait this long, they sort of owe it to us. xD I really do think they should handle The Search themselves.

It'll never reach fan demands, but they really, really should give it their absolute all and not just turn it over to Gene Yang to write. I know that they like supervise or whatever, but for this, probably the most highly-anticipated avatar story...ever, I think they should take this one. Maybe that's just me, but...I really do.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:19 pm »

^Yeah, this pretty much. I completely agree. I really do wish Bryke would've just written these themselves, like how long would it have taken them...each comic is what? One episode....I write longer 15,000 worded fanfictions without any forethought in one day. Bryke could write those comics and it shouldn't take that long, get an editor, girhiru can stay as the artists, like...was hiring a separate author necessary? Maybe I'm being sort of naive and ignorant on the production of comics, but, I really don't see how it would cut THAT much time out of Bryke's Korra schedule to handle The Promise. And I /especially/ think The Search should be all on them. Like, seriously? Don't they realize how judgemental of that story the fans were gonna be regardless because of all the 5 years of hype? Plus, making us wait this long, they sort of owe it to us. xD I really do think they should handle The Search themselves.

It'll never reach fan demands, but they really, really should give it their absolute all and not just turn it over to Gene Yang to write. I know that they like supervise or whatever, but for this, probably the most highly-anticipated avatar story...ever, I think they should take this one. Maybe that's just me, but...I really do.

Other than being allowed to collaborate with Gene, I'm not sure Mike and Bryan have any say in who does the comics. I think that's all up to Dark Horse. It would make sense that Dark Horse, a publisher of comics, would want to give some work to an actual comics writer.

Even with Mike and Bryan working on it, it could never live up to the unreal expectations of the fandom. Then everyone would just complain because Mike and Bryan don't have experience in that medium and "Why didn't Dark Horse hire a comic book writer?" when they failed to meet expectations.

eMoN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Lord Momo of the Momo dynasty, Your Momoness ..."

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:21 pm »

I'm not really satisfied as well, as i want more stories on A:TLA, but, as mentioned above, ANY avatar material to come out about whatever makes me happy because after all, it is all about the world of Avatar.

And although i think Bryke could do a better job on writing the comics, you have to understand that they probably don't have any time, as they are currently busy with LOK ..

~ Icon by GG, Sig by Schellibie ~
~ Keeps: Aang's "Monkey Feathers!" from 313 & Katara's "I'M COMPLETELY CALM!!!" from 208 ~
Fullmetal
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:39 pm »

^^dude a comic writer is different that a TV show writer and Im pretty sure thats why they hired gene
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:43 pm »

Other than being allowed to collaborate with Gene, I'm not sure Mike and Bryan have any say in who does the comics. I think that's all up to Dark Horse. It would make sense that Dark Horse, a publisher of comics, would want to give some work to an actual comics writer.

Even with Mike and Bryan working on it, it could never live up to the unreal expectations of the fandom. Then everyone would just complain because Mike and Bryan don't have experience in that medium and "Why didn't Dark Horse hire a comic book writer?" when they failed to meet expectations.

Well obviously you're going to get complaints no matter what, but it would be like on the level of Korra hate with some criticism, but people would love it anyway. It would be much better for sure though. I really don't think they'd write Aang promising to kill Zuko or Zuko crawling back to Ozai...those parts....just.......do not want...
And I really can't seem them writing that for some reason. Perhaps I give them too much credit. They did stamp their O.K.

I'm not really satisfied as well, as i want more stories on A:TLA, but, as mentioned above, ANY avatar material to come out about whatever makes me happy because after all, it is all about the world of Avatar.

And although i think Bryke could do a better job on writing the comics, you have to understand that they probably don't have any time, as they are currently busy with LOK ..

I like getting more stories about the gaang to, but like you, I'm not really satisfied in this one's direction. I just really hate the OOC Aang plot and stuff. Hopefully The Search can redeem it for me.

And yeah, I guess their busy, but I wish they would've taken a little detour... :|

^^dude a comic writer is different that a TV show writer and Im pretty sure thats why they hired gene

That's true...

Then I still think Bryke should've been in much closer collaboration with him...

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:44 pm »

No kidding, really?

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: