Aug 16, 2017 11:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What other books would you like to see?  (Read 6408 times)
Singe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013 07:45 pm »

Give Bruce Timm a shot at doing a comic.
mjr1107
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013 07:11 pm »

i wanna see older Ganng stories and anngs conection to korra besides being the avatar (if korra does not provide)
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2013 02:19 pm »

The panel in The Search Part 1 where we see Ozai's secret room full of trinkets from different nations kinda makes me want to see a Ozai-centric story where he goes looking for the Avatar.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013 02:21 pm by Spirit of Flame » Logged

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2013 02:36 pm »

That would really break my view of Ozai. The Mike and the Bryan have gone on record as saying that Zuko was the only one of the Royal Family who actually did any searching personally; all the other princess/lords just ordered it done. (Of course, they also said that Ozai and Ursa were an arranged marriage and loved each other in the early days, so obviously anything said in interviews can be easily made non-canon.) And if Ozai is more widely-traveled than Iroh but still clings to the notion that might makes right and Fire Nation Rules Yo, then he's basically just a big copy of Zhao, a mere sociopath who wants power and clings to the system that will provide it.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2013 02:47 pm »

That would really break my view of Ozai. The Mike and the Bryan have gone on record as saying that Zuko was the only one of the Royal Family who actually did any searching personally; all the other princess/lords just ordered it done. (Of course, they also said that Ozai and Ursa were an arranged marriage and loved each other in the early days, so obviously anything said in interviews can be easily made non-canon.) And if Ozai is more widely-traveled than Iroh but still clings to the notion that might makes right and Fire Nation Rules Yo, then he's basically just a big copy of Zhao, a mere sociopath who wants power and clings to the system that will provide it.

Really? Cause I think it'd be great to see that Ozai's OWN search for the Avatar had the opposite effect on him that the same quest ended up having on Zuko, making him more of what Zuko could very well have become.

Bright eyed Ozai with big dreams of his father seeing him for how great he is sets out on a hopeless quest for the Avatar, even though Iroh or Azulon warned him he may not succeed, and comes back from the journey a jaded jerkbender for whom the things he's seen and the failure he's experienced have only darkened his view of the world. You could have scenes of Ozai rejecting the company of women and other comforts that might distract him from his goal, putting his men in danger on purpose just for the hope that they might find a clue and have the sights he beholds of the rest of the world only make him feel like the world is just ugly and pointless and "confirm" for him that only the strong have the right to survive. It'd basically be a series where see Ozai waste his good years on a pointless journey that brought him no more glory than he had before and he pretty much just loses hope in the world.

Then maybe have Iroh feel bad he wasn't there to help his brother, seeing how everything has affected him, which encourages him to be there for Zuko so he doesn't become the same way.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013 02:49 pm by Spirit of Flame » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2013 02:54 pm »

Ozai's default expression is a sadistic smile, or with a blank stare being the second-most common. I really don't seem him as jaded or cynical at all. I very much get a Starscream vibe from him, that he's someone who excelled in certain ways and figured that makes him entitled to what he wants, and his victories all come from combining his strengths with a willingness to do anything to get power. Thus, he defines "strength" as basically being completely immoral, and the "weak" people are those who don't have the mental and physical fortitude to be willing to betray anything and everything.

And, like Starscream, Ozai wound up a little too quick to betray, and got himself in trouble for trying to exploit the loss of Lu Ten so quickly after it happened. If Ursa hadn't bailed Ozai out, he'd be out another potential heir and so behind where he started. Azulon's punishment was meant to hobble Ozai a little and teach a lesson about jumping the gun without taking him out of the game.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2013 03:12 pm »

Ozai's default expression is a sadistic smile, or with a blank stare being the second-most common. I really don't seem him as jaded or cynical at all. I very much get a Starscream vibe from him, that he's someone who excelled in certain ways and figured that makes him entitled to what he wants, and his victories all come from combining his strengths with a willingness to do anything to get power. Thus, he defines "strength" as basically being completely immoral, and the "weak" people are those who don't have the mental and physical fortitude to be willing to betray anything and everything.

And, like Starscream, Ozai wound up a little too quick to betray, and got himself in trouble for trying to exploit the loss of Lu Ten so quickly after it happened. If Ursa hadn't bailed Ozai out, he'd be out another potential heir and so behind where he started. Azulon's punishment was meant to hobble Ozai a little and teach a lesson about jumping the gun without taking him out of the game.

You see, the way I've always seen Ozai is as someone who BELIEVED he was great and excellent, but always felt like people weren't recognizing that talent or excellence he felt he possessed. He's much more like Scar from Lion King to me than he is Starscream. He wants people to see him for the "wonder" he feels he is, which probably stems from feeling neglected or like he was in always in someone else's shadow who he felt didn't deserve the praise he received or who had to work less for all that he got than Ozai had to for what little he had (Iroh). He strikes me as the kind of character who when he saw other people's success, he was probably like "Well, I could do that if father gave me the chance." The kind of guy who has trouble being happy for other people's successes because he's insecure about his own abilities or feels like he's held back from his true destiny or potential by the world or by his father or by some stupid tradition ('If only I was the first born, then people would actually see how great I really am').

Having a young Ozai who really wants prove himself and show his father that he's a valuable addition to the household and so either he takes upon himself the job of finding the Avatar or begs Azulon to give the task to him would make an interesting story because you'd start off seeing that there's some demons or insecurities this young guy is struggling with already and as the story progresses you see the harsh realities of the world outside the Fire nation that he's not used to, the feeling like the world is against him and just the feeling like he'll never be anything glorious or special eat away at him with every dead end and false lead. And where Zuko perhaps was humbled or touched by observing the people of the other countries and living among the peasants, it doesn't have much effect on Ozai and if anything it pisses him off and makes him think these people probably deserve what they get because they don't have what it takes to fly high in the sky towards the sun.

It'd be a neat story with a sympathetic protagonist who just becomes more of a bad person as the story goes on in his desperation for success and glory, throwing away more and more of his conscience for the sake of obtaining victory, as opposed to Zuko who starts out as a fairly bad guy and becomes a good guy as the story progresses.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013 03:15 pm by Spirit of Flame » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #32 on: Jul 13, 2013 03:17 pm »

Eh, I just don't see that kind of anger being in him. He doesn't get angry that those other people won't rise up and take what they want, he barely considers them real.

He delighted in the fact that Aang and the Airbenders in general were too weak to stop him from claiming his destiny. Dude gets off on slapping down 'weaklings.'

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2013 03:27 pm »

Eh, I just don't see that kind of anger being in him. He doesn't get angry that those other people won't rise up and take what they want, he barely considers them real.

He delighted in the fact that Aang and the Airbenders in general were too weak to stop him from claiming his destiny. Dude gets off on slapping down 'weaklings.'

You see I just don't get that feeling from him. The way he sounds to me is like somebody who hates weakness and wants to stamp it out wherever it is. What you described is someone who delights in there being weak people for him to dominate. That kind of person accepts weakness, if only because they want someone or something to slap around. Ozai doesn't really accept weakness, he wants to destroy so only the strong and those he feels have earned the right to exist remain.

"You're weak, just like the rest of your people! They did not deserve to exist in this world. In MY world!"

True, he accepts there are people weaker than him and wishes them to submit to his authority and respect his power, but these are usually all people who must have met his standards of having earned the right to live by virtue of their desire for strength and power and their ability to obtain those thing. Ozai takes delight in rooting out weakness from his presence, he doesn't really take delight in there being weak people cause in his perfect world, only the strong remain.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #34 on: Jul 13, 2013 03:32 pm »

You see, the way I've always seen Ozai is as someone who BELIEVED he was great and excellent, but always felt like people weren't recognizing that talent or excellence he felt he possessed.

Y'know, after reading The Search P2, I really wondered if the smokes on Ozai's big portray (in the royal palace) are in fact hidden criticism or something like that. It definitely has the message that Ozai had big smoke, but no fire...

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #35 on: Jul 13, 2013 03:46 pm »

You see I just don't get that feeling from him. The way he sounds to me is like somebody who hates weakness and wants to stamp it out wherever it is. What you described is someone who delights in there being weak people for him to dominate. That kind of person accepts weakness, if only because they want someone or something to slap around. Ozai doesn't really accept weakness, he wants to destroy so only the strong and those he feels have earned the right to exist remain.

"You're weak, just like the rest of your people! They did not deserve to exist in this world. In MY world!"

True, he accepts there are people weaker than him and wishes them to submit to his authority and respect his power, but these are usually all people who must have met his standards of having earned the right to live by virtue of their desire for strength and power and their ability to obtain those thing. Ozai takes delight in rooting out weakness from his presence, he doesn't really take delight in there being weak people cause in his perfect world, only the strong remain.

I guess we'll just have to disagree, then. The words in his dialogue could support what you're saying, but he was way too happy about smacking Aang around for me to take them at face value. And when Aang stopped being weak and unlocked the Avatar State, Ozai was nothing but terrified. He didn't express delight, or approval, or a sense of respect. He was flat out scared smoke-less, and only found some more bravado when Aang revealed an unwillingness to end the war with an execution. Upon which Ozai demonstrated "strength" by attempting to almost literally stab Aang in the back.

Dude talks a good game, and might even think he believes it, but he really doesn't. To me, he's a standard bully, and like all bullies he craves victims, not competition.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jul 13, 2013 03:58 pm »

You see, the way I've always seen Ozai is as someone who BELIEVED he was great and excellent, but always felt like people weren't recognizing that talent or excellence he felt he possessed.

Y'know, after reading The Search P2, I really wondered if the smokes on Ozai's big portray (in the royal palace) are in fact hidden criticism or something like that. It definitely has the message that Ozai had big smoke, but no fire...

maybe or they symbolize a dark view of the world around him.

I think an Ozai story where you see a still fairly innocent Ozai go out and see the world and find it to just be ugly and full of weak and stupid people who he's scared of turning into would be awesome. Ozai sees these people and he sees the ruins of the Air Nomads' monasteries and thinks to himself "I won't be like them, I'll succeed where they've all failed or given up and prove my worth. I won't be weak like them." It'd be kind of tragic story in a way because you'd watch this teenage kid who still probably has a lot of good in him very much become the direct product of the kind of world he lives in: a world with little hope and where those who are weak are trampled on by the strong in their quest for self-gain. Helps reinforce that Aang's return brought people a lot of hope.

I guess we'll just have to disagree, then. The words in his dialogue could support what you're saying, but he was way too happy about smacking Aang around for me to take them at face value. And when Aang stopped being weak and unlocked the Avatar State, Ozai was nothing but terrified. He didn't express delight, or approval, or a sense of respect. He was flat out scared smoke-less, and only found some more bravado when Aang revealed an unwillingness to end the war with an execution. Upon which Ozai demonstrated "strength" by attempting to almost literally stab Aang in the back.

Dude talks a good game, and might even think he believes it, but he really doesn't. To me, he's a standard bully, and like all bullies he craves victims, not competition.

I'm not saying Ozai craves competition. In fact I think he probably hates competition more than he hates weakness itself. Ozai does not like the idea of being weak or being at anyone's mercy. In his mind, everyone should be at his mercy. The kind of person I described are generally just as you said, they're people who talk a big game about the strong conquering the weak, but the last thing they ever want is to be on the receiving end and they will do and say anything to avoid that fate. Ozai clearly respects ferocity and power, but he's probably frightened of the idea of not being the strongest, not being the one who determines who is too weak to deserve life and strong enough to earn the right to live and he'll do whatever he has to in order to remain at that position because he will not be under anyone's thumb. Instead everyone else will be under his. So I think perhaps both our perceptions may be equally valid in many ways.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013 04:07 pm by Spirit of Flame » Logged

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #37 on: Jul 15, 2013 01:43 pm »

From the interview:

ASN:
Like Aang’s story, do you see the untold tales of
Korra finding their voice in graphic novels like
the original series did through Dark Horse?

MD: It’s certainly a possibility, but there isn’t
anything in the works right now. I like having
the graphic novels as a way to explore some other
storylines for the characters beyond TV. I think
seeing a teenage Tenzin and Beifong would be fun.

That would be fun, I guess. Though personally I would start with the Gaang getting married and having kids...

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #38 on: Jul 15, 2013 05:55 pm »

Once again, I think they're homing in on a set of characters and situations that would feel lesser for having been completely spoiled for us.

And then after they show Lin's father in that story, they could do another prequel all about Toph being in a love triangle with her eventual baby-daddy and someone else. Tongue

Kappa Lizzy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jul 16, 2013 03:02 am »

hmmm.. How did Korra's parents meet? I mean North tribe & South tribe hooked up! Cheesy like to know the story behind Korra's dad to lead up to himmoving down the the south pole.

Uncle Iroh's journey into the Spirit World, how was he as as general? , how did he act when his son was killed, where did he run away to?

When Mako, Bolin & Asami were kids, who the heck is the firebender that clearly was a serial killer & killed both if not at the same day around the same time.

Those interest me.
jonms
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2013 10:40 pm »

Irohs past
Darkrider
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2013 03:49 pm »

A story centered around Jun the bounty hunter. Something like a day in the life comic or mini series with her going after a hounty head.
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Nov 18, 2013 05:08 pm »

...........do I even have to say anything?

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2015 11:47 am »

What I want to see before she makes her returns to the main comic book series weather it is Smoke and Shadows or a later trilogy, I want to see what Azula is up to since she disappeared and see her journey. A "Azula Alone" one shot. Doesn't have to be to long, I don't know how much Azula and a bunch of new characters can carry a long story, but something longer than a FCBD story. 30 to 50 pages should do it.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2015 12:39 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2015 12:14 pm »

Ever since show ended I have wanted comics on Azula journey as the ending felt as starting point for it.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2015 12:41 pm »

I do think a "Azula Alone" one shot would be a good setup for her return to the main story, especially if she is a wild card character. If you leave the one shot with a ambuguous ending of Azula's mind set, it would be a great setup to seeing what she will do in the future, weather side with Zuko or Ozai supporters.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2015 12:56 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Sep 17, 2016 02:00 pm »

On October 5 there is Dark Horse panel and they may clear up on Aang/Korra's comics

I think we need to know more about Aang family and how he was in his later life or at least finish the bridge completly between ATL and Korra (sky bisons, dragons, Aang family, Yu Dao and more)
Chinoiserie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Sep 19, 2016 02:59 pm »

I do think a "Azula Alone" one shot would be a good setup for her return to the main story, especially if she is a wild card character. If you leave the one shot with a ambuguous ending of Azula's mind set, it would be a great setup to seeing what she will do in the future, weather side with Zuko or Ozai supporters.

She should have closure with Ursa and Ty lee and Mai and maybe some rebuking of the relationships, as well as some interaction with her new friends and Zuko and maybe Kuyi. So  Azula Alone would not be the best for her. But lead in a comic certainly would. I kind of would like some spirit world journey for her. And possibly a meeting with Sun Warriors.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: