Dec 06, 2019 01:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 338 (69.8%)
9 - 86 (17.8%)
8 - 34 (7%)
7 - 16 (3.3%)
6 - 3 (0.6%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (0.2%)
3 - 1 (0.2%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 5 (1%)
Total Voters: 463

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [206] The Blind Bandit  (Read 55325 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #400 on: Dec 12, 2013 01:29 am »

To me, she dug herself in a hole during her initial episodes and she never quite got out of it. Did she have any big bratty moments after Bitter Work...no, not any MAJOR moments...outside of The Runaway.

Okay. That's all I  needed to know.

Oh, she had lots of smaller once in other episodes though ranging from small moments of pouting with her arms crossed or stomping her feet like a child when things don't go her way. It's not like I took 4 episodes and applied her behavior to the rest of the series. Blind Bandit, The Chase, Bitter Work, and The Runaway, are just the major, slap in the face examples.

You want some smaller examples so you know where I'm coming from? Fine

1. In the Library, she slams her drink on the table and crosses her arms and huffs after Sokka says that "she didn't qualify for vacation time."
2. In the same episode, literally less then five minutes later, she tricks the group into thinking she found the Library for really no reason other then to amuse herself. Yes, this was played as a joke but it still counts.
3. The constant use of nicknames...especially since she knows people don't like it.
4. Throughout City Of Walls and Secrets, Toph is constantly complaining about the city and how she hates it...and how she doesn't want to be there...etc. She doesn't do it in a mature way either. It's a lot of huffing and crossing her arms.
5. Also, in the same episode, she berates the gaang for not knowing any manners while picking her nose.

And these are just random moments I picked out from the first 6 episodes she is in. Do I really need to go on? Now, individually, none of these moments are a big deal. One or two of them was actually pretty amusing. However, you throw all of it together (and by the end of the series, there is a lot of it) and with the knowledge that Toph never really develops out of doing this stuff, leads me to be a bit bothered by it. I've said it before but Toph mostly holds up fine while I am watching the show...its when I think about it afterwards is when the problem comes in. Those moments where she acts bratty or arrogant build up and while none of it is really bad, it does show a lack of maturity in her character.  

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #401 on: Dec 12, 2013 01:56 am »

I agree. Toph would have been a better character if they had made her more like Korra.

Pretty much.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #402 on: Dec 12, 2013 02:07 pm »

This is the problem with this big train about apologizing recently. Who the hell came up with this concept that characters had to "own" up to things that weren't considered "socially acceptable" to us now? Who suddenly started this idea that characters need to, for some unexplained reason, say "Oh that was wrong of me" or else they're a bad character, or it undermines their character, or it's bad writing.

Like.....who the hell came up with this idea because that person needs to go sit in a corner and reflect on themselves for starting this really nebulous trend where a single action blows up to the most outrageous stain on a show.

I think I can understand about a character apologizing for things would make them more likeable as a person, though I agree don't quite see how it would necessarily make a better character or writing. What I don't understand is the idea that other characters "calling out" a character somehow makes that character better. I guess, for some, having other characters voice the same criticism of a character they might have, even to the point of telling the character how awful the character he or she is and bashing them somehow makes them feel better; I am not sure.

As for Toph, I like her, and how she adapts and deals with her disability with strength most of the time , though I understand why some might not like her.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #403 on: Dec 12, 2013 08:05 pm »

I agree. Toph would have been a better character if they had made her more like Korra.

Oh gosh, Tokka was already bad enough. Having Toph say force a kiss on Sokka and then accuse him of thinking of her when he's in a tent with Suki would have been way too much.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #404 on: Dec 21, 2013 12:20 pm »

After a hiatus, my friend decided to continue watching. He's on this episode.

I really feel like he's doing it to not hurt my feelings, since he's aware how obsessed I am with this show.

I hope he legitimately likes this episode...

Edit :

"Oh, just when I thought they were pulling one of these lame last minute happy ends, it got pretty good instead. Cheesy Nice ep. But I still find eng kid dubs annoying as hell. I'm willing to bet I'd find her awesome in jpn VA, but in eng it's just "Don't talk please" instead. It's so weird. She's an annoying brat. Which I guess she is supposed to be, but doesn't change the fact that it's annoying. At least she looks cute."

But Toph's VA is awesome... Sad
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2013 01:13 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #405 on: Dec 21, 2013 04:55 pm »

Your friend knows that the show is not dubbed right? Nor is it Japanese. Funny that he called Toph an annoying brat though. Grin

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #406 on: Dec 21, 2013 05:05 pm »

^Isn't dubbing adding voice to a show? There's too much terminology with these stuff so I'm genuinely asking.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #407 on: Dec 21, 2013 05:10 pm »

I believe dubbing refers to a show or movie being voiced over in a different language then it was made for.

AmonKorra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #408 on: Dec 21, 2013 07:31 pm »

That is correct. I suppose that TLA passes as anime for some people, which is interesting.

"The power of the shinobi...is the power to protect what's important to you."
"Okay, then, tell me. Are you prepared to kill to protect what's important to you?"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #409 on: Dec 22, 2013 12:06 am »

I haven't watched the Japanese Avatar dubs (if such things are even available, I know someone here linked them up through Warriors of Kyoshi, but that was ages ago), but knowing how those things typically work, Toph would be way too high-pitched for my tastes. I swear some of those VA's suck helium before a recording session.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #410 on: Dec 22, 2013 02:38 am »

Avatar's Japanese dubs are horrible. I tried watching once just out of curiosity and it sucked. High pitched, girly "kawaiii" voices don't fit with these characters. (Ironically, I find these kind of voices annoying lol)

The only Avatar dub I think is top notch is Russian. Russians are awesome at dubbing stuff, most of the time.

Anyway, I hope he doesn't take 4 months to watch the next episode, lol. Plus next up is "Zuko Alone". If he doesn't like that, he won't like the show. After that he can go back to his over the top Animes xD

Funny thing is, even if I think Atla > Lok, I believe he would enjoy Lok more. One of his major complaints is that Avatar is childish and I doubt he'll feel like that in Lok.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2014 04:59 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
LonelyAngel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #411 on: Jan 27, 2014 04:36 am »

This episode was awesome! One word: TOPH.

Edit: Azula's japanese voice sounds horrible.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2014 06:14 am by LonelyAngel » Logged

RhymeBender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I love people! :D

« Reply #412 on: Jul 09, 2014 09:37 pm »

The introduction of my favorite character? (tied with Azula of course) It was a definite 10. Smiley

"You were never even a player."

-Azula to Long Feng after PWN3ING him. Wink
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: