Nov 01, 2014 07:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Kazma's Avatar Art - Requests and Things  (Read 7474 times)
King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« on: Jul 07, 2012 02:28 pm »

So I've just gotten up the courage to finally use my deviantart account, and seeing how my first deviation was Korra fanart I thought I should post it here to share with you guys too. =)

Just a simple sketch of Noatak I did a while back, mainly to practice my shading.

Hope you all like it! Comments (and any tips on shading!) appreciated.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013 03:07 pm by King Kazma » Logged
Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2012 05:56 pm »

I like it. You know, you actually have a good handle on the individual parts of the face, although I think you could work on your proportions and placement. The spacing of the eyes stands out to me, and curve of the cheek is perhaps a bit too prominent. I like how you've given the face some shape, but it doesn't quite go with the placement of the mouth.

As for shading, first of all, I'd probably recommend less of it? You have the right idea with the nose, mouth, and eyes, but I feel the shading along the right edge of the face doesn't really go with the light you've established and could probably be done without. I'd also suggest trying out more solid shading? This more traditional style looks good in certain instances, but a simple block of shading around the lines of the nose or mouth can really pack more punch when it comes to stuff in this style.

Keep drawing man!
King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2012 05:09 pm »

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions Grieves =)

So this is a tribute I made for Azula, because she was one of my favorite characters from the original series. I wanted to try to capture multiple sides to her personality, from her more innocent younger self to her mental breakdown. The shading in this one is kind of symbolic too, as her face is progressively getting covered in more and more shadow.

Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am by King Kazma » Logged
King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2012 05:00 pm »

Double post! Tongue

Okay, Suki wasn't in the "old friends" poster at comic con, and we can't have that, so I drew what I imagined she would look like if she was older. I gave her clothes a couple layers so that she would match the other members of the adult gaang, and threw in her fan. I left out the face paint because I wasn't sure if she would still be a Kyoshi Warrior at this point.

And as a bonus here's Firelord Zuko, which, for some mysterious reason, is my most faved piece on dA Roll Eyes Tongue

Thanks for viewing!
Avapony
Unphotogenic Avatar

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2012 09:00 pm »

Ooh I love all your art but I think this Zuko one is your best piece yet!! Cheesy

Thanks for commenting on my own art by the way. Wink

Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2012 07:04 am »

Dude, this Zuko is a huge improvement! And really nice shading on the face~

I like the concept of the Azula one, although I'd suggest a more muted background for such a piece, particularly given the message of it.

EDIT: Moar!
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2012 05:02 am by Mr Grieves » Logged
King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2012 09:23 pm »

@Avapony, Thank you! And no problem, your art is great~
@Grieves, your right about the background, hopefully this next one is an improvement. Congrats on those green stars by the way~

Um, better late than never, right? Tongue

Whipped this up with an easy to use app called Procreate just to prove I'm still alive. I'm going to try to update much more often now, so any comments and suggestions are welcome. Smiley
guitarfreak
Unphotogenic Avatar

bamfs~

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2012 10:36 am »

hey kaz! these are pretty good Cheesy
i think sometimes your proportions arn't quite there in the details, like for the last korra one, her chin seems a bit odd? i think a bit too long?
but i think you do have the general idea there~
your expressions are great! good job with the facial expressions~ i think your eyes are especially fantastic Cheesy
your eyes and eyebrows are awesome

and my favorite is that suki piece
awesome pose there and i like that suki's also with her fans~
the coloring is also really good and you got the wrinkles in the clothes done really well!

i hope to see more Grin

Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2012 07:16 am »

Really great to see you back Kaz!

You've definitely improved in this latest piece and I basically agree with GF on the points she raised. May I also suggest trying to be a bit punchier and direct with your line work? You have a good grasp of specific anatomy but when it comes to faces and other such features I think a less careful/rounded approach can elevate your work.

I pulled up this as an example from the show itself. I mean, if you had to imagine how that image is constructed there's a whole lot of straight lines and bold angles there. So where you're now using careful curves for the facial structure/hair etc. maybe try being a bit more direct in how you construct your figures. Even if it means you're just whipping faint straight lines down from which to work with over the top, I think this could really help you make bolder figures.

Congrats on those green stars by the way~

Haha thanks man Smiley
Noirsam
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012 07:59 am »

I like how you managed to paint shadows on your Korra painting.

And all the other paintings you have done.  Smiley

Sig made by Dorky.
Katara7
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2012 01:49 pm »

Woahhh dude. o.o These are really good! I really like the Korra one and the future-Zuko. ^^ -gives yew a poptart- Cheesy
King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2012 03:42 pm »

GF: Thanks!  Yeah, proportions are basically my mortal enemy. Cheesy The Suki piece is my personal favorite too, I've never spent so much time designing clothes before. Tongue

Grieves: Thanks for your suggestions and that example you linked, it definitely helped me to be a bit less careful, in a good way, with my latest Korra. Grin

Noir: Thank you, shadows were something I always had difficulty with, but hopefully I'm getting better at using them. Smiley

Katara7: Thanks so much for your comment and the poptart! Cheesy

Lately, after reading Ikkin's fanfiction Child of the Elements, I've been inspired to make fanarts of young Korra, so here's two.

This one was directly inspired by the story, where Katara is in a sort of motherly relationship with Korra. I didn't realize until I was finished that the iceberg was like a neat reminder of where Katara first met Aang. It was originally put there because there was lots of empty space. Cheesy

With this one I tried to stay loose with my lineart and use brighter colors then I normally do, and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome! Smiley
Ikkin
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2012 10:44 pm »

Lately, after reading Ikkin's fanfiction Child of the Elements, I've been inspired to make fanarts of young Korra, so here's two.

I have to say, I really feel honored to have inspired you.  ^_^

I like the first drawing a lot.  There's something about the way that Korra and Katara are holding hands that makes me really feel the connection between the two of them.

If there's one suggestion I'd make, it would be to try to add a bit more contrast into your shading -- the difference in color between highlights and shadow seems a bit too small.  Another thing I might suggest, particularly for images with more prominent lineart, is to draw on a canvas several times larger than the one you intend to show, because that can help keep the line-work nice and even.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
guitarfreak
Unphotogenic Avatar

bamfs~

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2012 02:49 am »

oh my i think that young korra is one of your bests! i think you fixed that thing with the chin and your proportions is spot on i reckon!
her expression is awesome~
as always, great job on your eyebrows and eyes, i think that's one of your fortes Cheesy

the one with katara and korra is adorable too~
and the colors are so trippy Cheesy
very nicely done kaz!! keep up the great work~

Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2012 09:53 pm »

Looking good man. I think the lineart seems a lot more assured!

Another thing now that could knock your art up a notch would be playing around with varying line widths. So say, thicker lines playing off thinner lines, and the dynamic that can create. Good luck and keep drawing man!
Wags
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2012 05:51 pm »

I really like this image. Certain aspects are really good, although I do notice other aspects that could use improvement.

I think the biggest thing that this image could use is a little more contrast to give it more definition. I'm thinking you intentionally made it a little blurry and fuzzy (feels nostalgic and wintery, which is good) but I think you can go a few more steps further with the shading to make it pop more  Smiley

You do show contrast in some areas: The yellow touching the blue in the sun set background, and between the strong blues on the outfits and the soft, light blues/whites of the snow. You could add more shading to the snow to give it texture, and to the bottoms of the parkas on Katara and Korra. Do you notice how the fuzzy part of the parkas almost merge with the snow? You want to avoid that, because it makes it a little hard to distinguish where the parka ends and the snow begins. Make sense? You could study images of snow if it helps.

One thing I really like though is some of the colors do work nicely in this, and I like the detail of the reflection of Korra and Katara's feet at the bottom. The composition is also really nice.

Good work, hope to see more.

And life, that sets all things in rhyme
May make you poet, too, in time
But there were days, O tender elf
When you were poetry itself!
-Christopher Morely
King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2012 05:10 pm »

Thank you guys so much, your comments mean a lot to me. Grin

Just a little update today, because I refuse to let this thread die again!

I would like to imagine that Yangchen has a soft side. Cheesy

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays all~

and yeah that fail at the bottom is a hand
Noirsam
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2012 05:25 pm »

Merry Christmas to you too King Kazma.  Smiley

And nice drawing you did.

Sig made by Dorky.
Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2012 05:54 am »

Happy holidays Kaz!

And I was just about to compliment you on that hand Cheesy
guitarfreak
Unphotogenic Avatar

bamfs~

« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2012 11:07 am »

don't see no fail, i like that hand a lot!
wonderful piece kaz, might just be your best one yet Cheesy
the proportions are all fantastic, and your style is so clean and crisp~

keep drawing! you've been improving significantly~

illninofan
Unphotogenic Avatar

An Empty Tome

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2013 09:10 pm »

Wow, you're good!

Like REALLY good. Cheesy

King Kazma
Unphotogenic Avatar

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2013 01:07 pm »

Thanks a bunch for all your wonderful comments, they make me happy! I sorta like that hand now, it grew on me I guess.

Now, without further ado...

NABU.

The only ship that matters.

Mainly just doodled this so I would have an excuse to post in here again. I have zero ideas for drawing, as evident by the fact I post in here once a month, so any suggestions or requests are welcome. Grin
Noirsam
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2013 01:23 pm »

We all know that it is canon. Cheesy

How about some evil spirits from book 2?

Sig made by Dorky.
Tongone
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2013 05:47 pm »

You're getting better every time. I really like this piece.

Requests you say? Draw Mako sobbing loudly in a dark corner. With his scarf covered in snot and tears.

Too vague?
Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Unphotogenic Avatar

« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2013 09:08 pm »

I agree with Tonnie, you're improving all the time and this is a nice doodle. You do pencil-y stuff well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: